Chapter one

When snowflakes fall

 

Minho sulkily made his way to the café. He had no car for himself, so he walked. It was dreary weather, absolutely dreadful, not exactly raining but the sky was still grey as if at any moment it would pour down. He felt like it reflected his mood.
 
It's been days since he's been back to work, but he can't keep wallowing in his home. 
 
Jonghyun or Key had been coming in turns every day to make sure he was still alive. Onew gave him as much time as he needed from work. Truthfully although Minho didn't show it, he was eternally grateful to all of them.
 
 
Min-ae was so young and vibrant. She was the perfect little sister for Minho. Coming to Seoul, she was the only one that supported him on his choice, while their parents continually showed their disapproval. She was meant to join him next year, when she finished high school. But she didn't even get to finish.
 
When Minho found out, he couldn't believe it. Why was his parents lying to him? Was it another rouse to get him back home? But as soon as his mother burst into tears, he knew.
 
He felt guilty, he didn't even know she was admitted to hospital two weeks ago, his parents didn't call him then. He didn't return when Min-ae needed him most. He was a bad son and a bad brother.
 
 
He made it to the café, it hadn't rained. The small bell rang as the door opened and Minho quickly greeted Onew at the counter and made his way to the back to put on his uniform.
 
Onew handed the responsibility to the trainee as he followed Minho to the locker room.
"Are you sure you're up for it?" the genuine concern in Onew's voice made Minho.
"Why wouldn't I be? It's not like I died." he didn't mean to sound so harsh and it shocked Onew.
"ok then," he said going back out front.
 
 
Minho was clearing coffee cups and plates when the small bell tingled. Onew didn't look up from his inventory lists and the other younger trainee that Onew hired while Minho was away was serving customers at another booth. Minho guessed he had to serve him.
 
It was a boy, maybe Minho's age but probably younger. He was wearing a bright orange sweater and a grey scarf, his hair dyed auburn. Overall he contrasted greatly with the depressing weather outside. He flashed a huge grin when he caught Minho's eyes and made his way to the window booth. 
 
Why would he choose to sit there? Minho wondered. It's the dead of winter that's the coldest seat in the place.
 
"Hello," Minho greeted as he made his way over to the boy, and took out a notepad from his apron, "how may I help you?"
 
The boy looked up at Minho and giggled, "I don't know, I could use my shoes shined."
 
"What?" Minho was confused.
"Sorry, I was making a joke." the covered his mouth as he chuckled, "I don't really have a great sense of humor."
 
"Oh, ok," What was up with this boy, "shall I take your order?"
 
"hmm," the boy murmured and looked through the menu. Finally he put the menu down and looked up at Minho, " I don't know what do you recommend?"
 
"I don't know," Minho hated when people asked him what they should get.
"Take a wild pick, I'm sure I'll like it."
Minho might as well humor the boy, "your young and growing, so probably shouldn't have caffeine, how about a hot chocolate?"
 
"Ok," the boy grinned, "with a shot of coffee."
"So a mocha."
"Yes and white chocolate while your at it."
"So not a hot chocolate," Minho crossed out where he wrote hot chocolate prematurely. This guy was taking him around in circles, he could have just asked for a white chocolate mocha.
 
For a moment this boy's irritating behavior made Minho forget about the grief he had. But as soon as he left and began making the white choc mocha, it all came back. How could he forget, even for a second?
 
 
Minho made the mocha and reached the young boys table. The boy was smiling widely as Minho set the mug down. Minho had given an extra marshmallow even though they didn't usually give marshmallows with mochas.
"ooh, a marshmallow." the boy plopped it in his mouth.
"you're meant to have that with... Never mind."
 
Before he left the table, Minho glanced at the boy, he seemed so odd.
"Do you want a warmer seat, there are more booths at the back?"
"No, that's fine." the boy replied taking a sip of his drink. "I enjoy the view."
 
What view? Minho wondered, all you could see from the window was grey clouds and a row of shops on the opposite side of the road.
 
Minho didn't care anymore, this boy was just weird.
 
 
After he finished his mocha, the boy signaled Minho to his table. "can I get another one?"
 
"Umm... Yeah sure." this boy drank a lot of caffeine.
 
"By the way," the boy said bouncing softly in his seat, "I'm Taemin."
 
 
This boy, Taemin, was strange but Minho didn't get completely annoyed by him.
 
While making the second mocha, Onew patted Minho on the shoulder, "are you sure you're okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine," Truthfully he wasn't fine, he was devastated inside.
"You should take a break. I'll make this order."
Minho sighed, "no, it's fine. I'll make this one then take a break."
"Be sure to." Onew said smiling sympathetically. Minho tried to smile back then added some cocoa powder to the top of the mocha finishing his creation.
 
Taemin was tapping on the table, waiting for Minho to return. As soon as he saw Minho approaching his eyes light up.
"Here," Minho placed the cup on the table, and started to leave.
 
"No, wait!" Taemin called. Minho turned back around, "please sit down." he gestured towards the seat in front of him.
 
"Can't," Minho replied, "I'm working."
"No you're on your break, I heard that other guy." There's no denying it. "Unless... You hate me." Taemin put on the most fake pout. His bottom lip jutting out eyes open wide.
 
"Okay, okay," Minho said pulling out the chair harshly and taking a seat, "stop that!"
Taemin giggled with excitement, "so let's talk."
 
Why did this child want to chat with him? He wasn't really in the mood to have a happy conversation with this random kid, but how can he insult a customer.
 
"So, Minho" Taemin interrupted Minho's thoughts, "where are you from?"
"Incheon..." he just realized what Taemin had said, he wasn't wearing his name tag. "How do you know my name?" he questioned angrily.
 
"Guess, I've been caught," he said, his smile never wavering. "I'm a friend of Key's."
 
"Oh." was all Minho said, so he was so incapable of taking care of himself, that Jonghyun and Key were sending random strangers to look after him.
 
"Anyways, you can have this," Taemin distracted him by pushing his mocha towards Minho.
"What?" Minho was confused, " that's yours."
"Nah, I don't drink too much caffeine a day." But he quickly took the extra marshmallow Minho had again put, "but I'll take that. Caffeine may be bad for you but sugar certainly can't be."
"Actually..." Minho began to correct him then stopped, why bother.
 
"So Incheon, huh? Why so far from home?"
It was like the wound in his heart was being slowly dug deeper.
"I want to study?"
"But what about your family?"
Seriously, it's like this boy had no tact, or consideration for personal boundaries.
"Umm... I don't think thats any of your business." Minho stood up from his chair. "I have to be getting back to work."
"It alright." Taemin gleamed at Minho, "just smile once in a while, you know."
 
What does this kid know? He doesn't know what Minho had been through? How could Minho smile when he'd lost something so important.
 
 
A/n: so here's the first chapter. There's probably going to be three. I'm sorry this chapter isnt that good and doesnt flow very well, if i have time i'll edit it. :) So read, enjoy and comment.