When You Disappear

When You Disappear [One Shot]

"Who are you?" He hazily asked half dazed as his body lied on the concrete  black top in the middle of the road. Llifeless.

"It's not your time..." He could hear a voice that seemed like a girl, it was soft and sweet.


------------------------------------------------------------------------1 day earlier------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day and night. Night and day. Does love really fades? Life wasn't perfect. I didn't need it to be perfect. I just wanted my happy ending. Unable to see the future, unable to turn back time and unable to predict what will happen next...I thought of a different way to live.

 

“What are you writing?” Chorong came from behind placing both of her hands on Shinwoo's shoulders as he quickly closed his notebook startled by her, “What were you writing?” She asked again this time leaning over with her chin resting on top of his head.

 

“Ah, I was just...it's nothing actually.” He pulled away from her as he now stood up straight and out of his chair, “Why are you here?” He questioned a bit confused.

 

“I live here...” she laughed a bit awkward and surprised by his question, “Are you okay?” The awkward smile on her face now slowly disappeared.

 

“I know that you live here...of course, I'm just asking why are you in here...in my room, you never come in here..” He scratched the back of his head with his right hand as he used his left hand to lift up his glasses.

 

“I just...I came in to tell you breakfast was ready, I didn't think it'll be such a problem...” she took in a deep breath as she finished talking, “well,” she now stood up straight as she smiled, “if you are hungry breakfast is out there, I have to meet with Taecyeon oppa soon, bye.” She waved at him as she walked out of his room closing the door behind her.

 

“Of course...” he silently whispered to himself as he closed his eyes, “of course you'll have to go and meet up with him.” he now sat back down and began to write once again in his notebook.

 

If the clouds did not show today how will I live? If the sun decided to not shine will I be awake? If the moon never shined will my heart still find its way back home? Sitting here alone, do I do myself a favor or her? I'm angry and confused by my own question, so tell me what do I do? It's a Friday, I have nowhere or anyone to meet. I sit here alone writing away, is this really the way to live? Will she miss me if I was to leave...if I was to leave...

 

Nicole closed her art notebook as she gathered all of her art utensils into her black portfolio bag as the morning wind slowly pressed onto her pale face. The sun was up high in the sky, she pushed back the side hair hanging down behind her ears as she began walking away from the park bench that she had been sitting on since seven. The people passing by her didn't make any eye contact nor greet her. She turned around and stared at the coffee shop that was across from the park, she lowered her head as she began walking home now.

 

“You're home early.” Donghae opened the door for Nicole as she brushed by him, “He wasn't there again?” He asked now closing the door.

 

“No...” she flatly replied walking towards her room now, “...even if he was to be there, do you think he'll ever notice me?” She turned around clingy onto her portfolio bag, “I thought so...” she turned around as she opened her bedroom door and entering her room closing the door lightly behind her.

 

Shinwoo enter the coffee shop as he waited patiently for his cup of coffee. He glanced out towards the park from across as he felt this loneliness rushing throughout his body.

 

“You're coffee sir,” he didn't hear the employee calling towards him, “sir...” she hollered softly once again now catching Shinwoo's attention.

 

“I'm sorry,” he tried to laugh it off, “thank you.” He handed the women his money as he got out, “Ah, Chorong what are you doing here?” Shinwoo saw Chorong slowly walking towards him with her head low, “Weren't you suppose to meet up with...”

 

“Taecyeon oppa cancel once again,” she quietly replied, “I'm okay...” she lifted her head up with a smile on her face as her eyes were turning red and watery.

 

“You fool...” Shinwoo walked towards her as he wiped the tears away before they could fall, “there's nothing to be sad about...” he stated.

 

“I know...” she tried her best to smile.

 

“What were you guys going to do today?” He asked as he pulled away.

 

“Go to the amusement park, then have a dinner for our 5 year anniversary...” she lowered her voice once again.

 

“Right, today is your guys anniversary date...” he nodded his head, “We'll let's make the best of it...” he smiled as he grabbed her hand, “Lets go.”

 

“Oh, oppa.” She looked up at him surprised, “Are you sure?”

 

“If I wasn't, would I have asked you?” He smiled as he drag her beside him now.

 

"One of these days I'll confess..." Nicole stared at her art book as she flipped through the pages, "until then what do I do?"

 

"Nicole-ah..." Donghae called from outside her bedroom door, "I'm going out now, remember to lock all the doors before you leave, alright?"

 

"Yeee!" she called out.

 

After spending the whole afternoon with Chorong, Shinwoo took her out to dinner.  He took a sip of his cold ice water as she stared at her phone waiting for a new text message or even just a phone call from Taecyeon.

 

"Waiting for his call?" he asked.

 

"Yee," she replied as she placed her phone now beside her plate of food.

 

"Are you excited for tomorrow though?" He finally asked.

 

"Who wouldn't be?" She flatly replied.

 

"Then act like it," he smiled as she began to eat.

 

Donghae hadn't returned home as Nicole left the apartment and headed towards the park across the coffee house for some fresh air.  She looked up at the stars that we splattered all around.  The cars that rushed on by the busy streets of Seoul.  Then she turned to face the Coffee House from across the street.  There she saw the guy she had been crushing on for the past few months.  The girl next to him clingy tightly onto the side of his arm.  Nicole quickly turned around as she felt her face burning red.  She sat down on the park benched as she then stared out towards the distance of the park.

 

"Oppa, thank you....are you sure you don't want to go home right now?"

 

"No, you need to go rest...I think I want to get some fresh air first...I'll be home soon, so don't worry too much about me okay?"

 

"Yee..."

 

Shinwoo watched as Chorong walked on by.  He then turned his attention up towards the sky as he stared at the star.  He then walked across the streets and then sat down on the park benched that was already occupied by some girl he didn't know.  She was daydreaming so it seemed.  Nicole couldn't believe it, he was sitting next to her, she moved a bit away from as he sat down beside her.  She felt her heartbeating fastly as though the whole world could hear it.

 

"Have you ever loved someone so much it hurts?" She heard him questioned the unknown as she lifted her head up to look at him now as he slowly turned his head to look at her.

 

"What?" she questioned back.

 

"There's this girl that I really love, but tomorrow fate will seperate me and her life forever..." he stated.

 

"Ahh..." Nicole was stunned unable to say a word.

 

"You probably think I'm crazy..." Shinwoo laughed it off, "I'm sorry," he stated briefly after, "It's just..."

 

Donghae who was walking home past the park as he spotted Nicole sitting at her usual spot next to a guy.  It must've been the guy she had been crushing on.  He stared at their backs while a rush of jealousy rushed over him.  He never stopped her because he knew she would've never had the guts to confess to a guy she never knew but from a far.  In his left hand was Nicole's favorite dishes, he wanted to go and grabbed her and drag her home but he left silently.

 

"It's just that I really like her..." he stated.

 

"Like me..." Nicole finally stated.

 

"Excuse me?" Shinwoo turned to face Nicole a bit confused.

 

"There's really no one else to blame but yourself right?" She replied, "How long have you been around her?  How long have you known her? How long have you been feeling this way and you never told her?" Nicole slowly felt her heart becoming heavier, "You never took the chance to tell her and now that she's getting married..." Shinwoo was surprised that this girl knew Chorong was to be wedded tomorrow, "you feel like she's leaving you...but it was really you who had left her a long time ago when you decided to bury those deep feelings of yours."

 

"How did you know..."

 

"That she's getting married? Either she's sick or either she's getting married...I rather believed that she's getting married because she seems healthy..." Nicole turned to look at him straight in the eyes, "What else can you do when she already belongs to someone else?"

 

"You got a point there..." he turned away, "why is a girl like you out here alone at this time of day?"

 

"I wanted to get some fresh air..." she stated more comfortably now..."tell me now, if someone was to like you from a far how would you take it in?"

 

"I wouldn't know how to because I wouldn't know that they like me..." he smile, "who like someone like me anyways?"

 

"The world is a silly place isn't it and it's silly game of falling and catching...." Nicole stood up, "I guess I'll be the one leaving you first..." She bowed towards him as the tears race down her face.

 

Shinwoo watched as the girl that he had just met finally left him.  He sat alone thinking deeply to himself now.

 

"I guess it's not him leaving me, but me leaving him first...I guess it's best to bury these deep feelings for him away now..." Nicole told herself quietly in her thoughts.

 

Morning arrived as Shinwoo was already at the church.  He and the rest of the guest sat waiting for Chorong herself to walk down the aisle now.  The music began to play as Chorong along side with her father walked down the aisle.  After the vows where exchanged everyone went to the party hall.  Shinwoo had been drinking a bit too much.  Night had already came by.  He left the alter without telling anyone.

 

"I said I'm fine!!" Nicole yelled in anger towards Donghae, "I told you I don't want to eat!!"

 

"You  haven't eaten all damn day!!" He yelled back, "Why are you acting so stupid for a guy who doesn't even bother to care for yoiu?!! When you dissappeared from him last night did you think he was chasing after you?!!"

 

"I've had enough with you!" Nicole walked out grabbing her car keys and slamming the apartment door shut.

 

Shinwoo his engine as he began to drive away. Nicole enter her car as she slammed the door shut. She the engine and drove off angered by Donghae.  Nicole felt the tears roar down her face because what Donghae had said was true, she was naive thinking that the guy she had liked from a far would magically start having feelings for her after their talk from last night but she was wrong, so wrong. Shinwoo made a turn as he now became angry at himself for watching her walk down the aisle exchanging vowls with another man other than him. 

 

"AISHHHHHH!" he cried out loud as he saw a bright light coming fastly towards him.

 

Nicole felt as her legs couldn't press on brake fast enough, then she heard a loud crash. The next thing she saw was blackness. 

 

"Choose..." both of them heard a low deep voice asking them, then blackness once again.

 

"Get up...." Shinwoo heard a whisper in his ear as he now felt the pain taking over his body.

 

"Who are you?" He hazily asked half dazed as his body lied on the concrete black top in the middle of the road. Llifeless.
 

"It's not your time..." He could hear a voice that seemed like a girl, it was soft and sweet, "So get it up..." he opened his eyes the figure that was blurry now became clear, it was the face of the girl he had talked to yesterday night.

 

"........." The sirens of police car and ambulance came from a far distant.

 

Shinwoo opened his eyes fully and stared at the lifeless body in front of him now.  It was Nicole the girl he had talked to last night, but had no clue what her name was.  Blood splattered everyone like on a painting with red paint.  He tired to move towards her but his legs and body wouldn't budge.

 

Our sad fate had met once again, but this time one of us had to leave...she choose to go...we forget that everyone that we meet that we may see again, but in a different disguise...so after I realized she had loved me from a far like how I loved Chorong from a far, silly isn't it?  How we'll do stupid things for those that we love and forget to love ourself first...because I was so blinded I forgot that in this world love would've and could've found me but instead I walked blindfolded...her lifeless body me unable to move, two total strangers who had met once or so I have only...but to her it was more than once...