That One Prom Night

That One Prom Night

CHAPTER 2

"Honey, wake up. Di, are you alright?" It was Di's mother. She had come home from work. 

"Ohh, hi mom," said Di, in a hoarse voice. 

"Di, why are you all sticky??" Di's mom asked.

"Nothing, mom. When is dinner? I'm starving." Di said.

"In one hour, okay?" Di's mom replied, while getting up and leaving Di's bedroom.

Di looked at the time on her alarm clock. She had been sleeping for an hour. That means school was over, everybody was probably disappointed because of the prom accident. 

"UGHH," Di moaned. "I'm so stupid, why do I always ruin everything?" Di asked herself. 

Ding Dong. There was someone at the door. "I'll get it," Di's mom said. Di's mom rushed over to their front door and unlocked it. She opened it and there was Sooyoung standing there. "Oh, hi Sooyoung! How are you doing?" Di's mom asked.

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks," Sooyoung answered.

"Are you here to see Di?" Di's mom questioned.

"Yes, I am. Is she home?" Sooyoung asked.

"I'm right here," Di said. She went downstairs.

"Okay, why don't you two go to Di's room and talk," Di's mom told Di and Sooyoung.

Sooyoung followed Di to her room. 

"So, what happened at the prom committee? They cancelled the prom." Sooyoung explained.

"I know, it was because of me. Is everyone mad?" Di asked.

"Uhh, no, not at all......Yes." Sooyoung said it in the most quiet voice she could.

"Oh no, I tripped over the boom box wires, which CL put right in the middle of the room, and I was holding soda boxes and they all slipped right out of my hands and crushed the boom box. It was so hard that the soda cans popped right open and splashed me soaking wet. There's gonna be a lot of mopping in the auditorium too. And then, the boom box started smoking and sparks flew out of them. The biggest spark I've ever seen! It flew right on to the decoration table and now everything is burnt, so is the prom.

"It's alright, Di. Everything's going to be okay." Sooyoung comforted Di, reaching over to hug her. "Oh, and guess what? I was gonna go with Kyung to the prom, he plays in the football team!" Sooyoung exclaimed, excitedly. 

"Oh, cool." Di replied, feeling guilty.

"That reminds me, I told Kyung I would meet him at his house later after school today. I'm going to go now, okay?" Sooyoung questioned.

"Okay, you can go. Have fun." Di answered.

"Thanks! You gonna be okay by yourself in your room?" Sooyoung asked.

"Yeah," Di replied.

Sooyoung gave Di one last big hug after she put on her green jean jacket.

"Bye!" Sooyoung shouted when she was downstairs.

Di heard the front door open and close, Sooyoung left.

                Di went into the kitchen and opened the freezer. She took out a cylinder carboard bowl of rocky road ice cream and got a big spoon from the kitchen cabinet.

"Hey, Sooyoung left already?" Di's mom asked when she entered the kitchen.

"Yeah, she said she was going to Kyung's house. I guess they're kind of like, dating." Di explained.

Di knew that her mom would never eat ice cream before dinner, but she didn't say anything this time about the ice cream in Di's hands.

Di went back upstairs into her bedroom. She put down the ice cream on her desk. Di reached over to her mp3 player and put on some sad music. She was still embarrassed and upset about the prom incident.

The sad music started playing and Di put it on FULL VOLUME. It was so loud, but Di didn't care. 

"Di! I'm going to the grocery store! I need some food for dinner!" Di's mom yelled, trying to yell over the music.

Di heard the garage open and close, it's really loud. Di's mom drove out of the their driveway and to the road.

Di opened the bowl of ice cream and started eating it with her big spoon. She sang along with the loud music in her head, also thinking about her huge crash with the boom box at school.

The music was SO LOUD that all the neighbors could hear! Di never knoew this, but Taemin lived right next door to her. Taemin was Di's classmate ever since fifth grade. Taemin was in his house and heard the music Di was playing!

He went out of his house and walked over to Di's house.  The door was still unlocked from when Sooyoung was here, so he opened the front door of Di's house. The loud sad music filled the whole house. Taemin walked in and took off his shoes, slowly. 

"Hello? Is anybody home?!" Taemin shouted.

"Oh my god, who is in my house?" Di whispered to herself.

Di wiped the ice cream out of with a tissue and shut off her mp3 player. She went downstairs and found that Taemin was standing there in her house. 

"Taemin? What are you doing here?" Di asked, confused.

"Oh, I live right next door and I heard the loud music, was that you?" Taemin asked.

"Uh, yeah." Di answered.

"Thank you. For cleaning out the smoke at the prom committee." Di said.

"Oh, no problem." Taemin replied. "You know, about the prom..."

"Oh, I know. I ruined it, comepletely destroyed everything." 

"No, I was gonna ask you out for my date to the prom." said Taemin.

"YOU WERE!?" Di asked, shocked.

"Yeah, I think your cute. Remember fifth grade when there were class pets: frogs. You wore plastic gloves and picked up one frog and dropped it into its food bowl." Taemin explained. "I thought it was funny in a good way, but everyone else thought it in a bad way, including you.

"I know, I'm so clumsy. But, what are you trying to say?" added Di.

"I liked you ever since fifth grade with the frogs." Taemin remarked.

"You did? That's so sweet, Taemin! I thought all of the boys at school thought I was a total nerd." Di explained.

"No way," Taemin demanded.

"If the prom was still on and you asked me, I would've said yes. But I guess that's not gonna happen. I've been dreaming of the night I would finally go to my prom but now it's cancelled because of me, me, me." Di stated.

"Wait, I have an idea. Tell your friends to go to my house tonight and bring their dates, okay?" Taemin asked.

"Umm, okay, but why?" Di questioned. 

"You'll see," Taemin said. 

 

 

☪ The night  

                 Di saw Sooyoung and Kyung at Starbucks after Taemin had left to go back to his house. Di lives near the coffee shop so she just walked there from her house.

"Hey Sooyoung!" Di shouted when she saw them in the shop.

"Di! Hey!!" Sooyoung shouted back, waving.

Di walked over to Sooyoung and Kyung's table. 

"Hi, you must be Kyung. Uhh, can I talk to Sooyoung in private for a moment?" Di asked Kyung.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Kyung replied.

"So, Taemin asked me to invite you and Kyung to his house. Do you know where it is?

"Yeah, but why?" Sooyoung asked.

"I don't know, he didn't tell me," Di answered. "Okay, see you at Taemin's house tonight!"

"Okay, bye now!" Sooyoung said.

Di exited the Starbucks shop. She saw CL and her boyfriend, Daesung, coming into Starbucks as well. 

"Ha! Look, it's that stupid, crazy girl Sooyoung. I can't believe Kyung is going out with her.

"Yeah, whatevs." Daesung said.

They both walked in Starbucks and ingnored Sooyoung and Kyung. Di hid in the bush nearby and they didn't see her. Di ran back home and noticed that her mom was done grocery shopping. Di went inside the house.

"Hey honey, where were you?" Di's mom asked

"Oh, I was at Starbucks, I saw Sooyoung there." answered Di.

"Okay, dinner will be ready soon," Di's mom said.

"Okay mom." replied Di. "Oh, and by the way, I'm going to Taemin's house tonight, he told me to go there with Sooyoung and Kyung. Could I go after dinner?" Di asked.

"Uh, okay, it is a friday." Di's mom said.

Di went upstairs and threw out the bowl of rocky road ice cream since there was about none left and it was all melted. She picked a dress to wear to Taemin's house since it was kind of like a tiny party. Di's dress was light pink and black lace around the ends. It was the dress she was going to wear for the prom.

Di took off her glasses and put on her contacts. She puts on lavender eyeshadow and rosy pink blush with a soft makeup brush. 

Di didn't look like herself!

She went downstairs in the kitchen.

"Hi, mom." Di said.

"Wow, Di! You look beautiful!" Di's mom exclaimed. "You wanna eat dinner now?" 

"Yeah, sure" Di replied.

Di ate her dinner which was rice, cabbage, pork, and chicken wings.

After Di finished, she went upstairs to the bathroom and washed and hands.

Then, she put on a light pink lipstick.

She went back downstairs and got her house keys just in case she comes home later than expected.

"Mom, I'm gonna go now!" Di insisted.

"Okay, honey," Di's mom said.

Di opened the front door and closed it behind her. She walked over to Taemin's house. She pressed the doorbell, then again, and again. No one opened the door. Di tried opening the door and it opened. She went inside, it was pitch black. Di found a light switch on the wall. Click.

"SURPRISE!!!"

Taemin, Kyung and Sooyoung shouted as soon as Di clicked on the light switch.

"Oh my god!!! You guys did this for me???" Di asked. The whole room was filled with balloons, streamers, chip bags, and soda cans!

"Yeah!" They all said.

"Wait, you and Kyung already knew?"Di questioned Sooyoung.

"Yeah, Taemin called us before you came to tell me, I just needed an excuse for Taemin to set up this stuff." Sooyoung declared.

"Taemin planned all of this?" Di asked.

"Yup," Sooyoung and Sooyoung said.

"That was the sweetest thing that anyone has ever done for me, Taemin!!! Thank you!" Di exclaimed.

"You're welcome, Di." Taemin said. Di hugged Taemin and he blushed.

"So, you should've seen CL's face when she heard that Taemin was having a party and she wasn't invited! I may have made her overhear me..." Sooyoung said.

"Ahahahaha!" Di laughed.

It was pretty dark outside and they all went out to dance, like a real prom.

Sooyoung was dancing with Kyung and Taemin was dancing with Di.

They were all dancing under the beautiful, bright stars and Di lay a kiss on Taemin.