Betrayal

Affair

*The oneshot will be fast-paced so please don't be surprised at the flow~

 


 

Yoona works in the Human Resources department of their company. She had been there for four months already. Finishing Psychology in school, she found the job fit for her and the salary is just enough to pay for the apartment she and her boyfriend, Kyuhyun, moved into. Kyuhyun’s hours were shorter than her since he was working as a music teacher. He works from 7-5 while she works from 8-6.

 

She would interact with many people and sometimes it would tire her. She would usually wish the day would end just so she could be home in the welcoming arms of her boyfriend. They would talk about random things, sometimes serious things like work and money or funny ones regarding food matters.

 

Yoona loved Kyuhyun. It was no doubt. She told herself she’ll never cheat or lie to Kyuhyun because she doesn’t think she can do it and sees no point in doing so. But Yoona met Lee Hyukjae.

 

 

_*_

 

 

As part of Yoona’s job, she would be in charge of checking the applications of people who would be in hopeful of getting a new job. Sometimes she would be in the training team when a new set of employees arrive. She was always one of those who had the attention of many. She had a friendly and approachable aura and her smile radiated everywhere. She was beautiful and had a heart of gold.

 

“Oh!” The words slipped out of when someone accidentally bumped into her. She turned her head and looked at the new trainee.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, Ms. Im, I wasn’t looking,” the guy with the beautiful jaw line and small eyes said.

 

“It’s okay. What is your name, trainee?” She asked. The guy showed her his ID, proudly raising it in the air.

 

“Lee Hyukjae at your service Ms. Im,” he showed his gummy smile.

 

“Lee Hyukjae,” Yoona reads and looks at her list to see what department he’ll be working at. “Marketing department,” she says.

 

“Ne, Ms. Im.”

 

“Ms. Im sounds too formal. Call me Yoona,” she says.

 

“Ne, Yoona-sshi.”

 

It was as simple as that when they met. Hyukjae would make sure to catch a glimpse of Yoona and would even pass by the HR department, which was never in his way. Yoona would meet with Hyukjae’s gaze and she would smile. One day Hyukjae got the courage to ask Yoona out and she took the friendly offer.

 

Just like everything, it all begins with a friendly offer. A simple smile and sweet hellos make up the humble beginnings of something that would end up in a state where she never expected.

 

Each morning she would receive a free cup of coffee from Hyukjae and at nights, she shares the bed with the guy her heart owns. They were ‘just friends’ as Yoona thinks. And to her, friends hold hands and hug each other tightly.

 

“Yoona,” she raised her head to see Hyukjae smiling shyly at her. He raised a small bouquet of flowers and she accepted it. He leaves afterwards, just wearing a smile on his face.

 

“You’re making him think he has a chance with you,” her co-worker Changmin says.

 

“I do not. I am just being friendly that I accept his gifts and welcomed him warmly,” Yoona explained.

 

“You know, it isn’t that way coming from others’ view. We see Hyukjae making a move on you and you entertaining him,” Victoria said.

 

“I don’t know what you’re trying to say. Hyukjae’s a nice person,” she said and leaves.

 

She meets Hyukjae and allows him to take her out for dinner. Soon enough, those subtle moves and hints became more than they were. He holds her hands and she doesn’t mind. At times when they are alone at the office, she’s just there beside him. No words, just a hold of a hand and she feels complete.

 

By she’s home, she jumps into Kyuhyun’s waist and arms. She would bury her head on his neck and sniff his perfume. They would sway for a while before he would carry her to the kitchen table with takeout food because Kyuhyun can’t cook and she goes home later than he does. She kisses him and plays with his hair. By night, they tangle themselves between the blanket and arms and legs of each other.

 

“How was work?” Yoona asks.

 

“It was okay. Same old, same old. What about you?”

 

“Same. Nothing much.”

 

Because to Yoona, all that happens in the office leaves in the office.

 

 

_*_

 

 

It wasn’t a secret. How Hyukjae would wait for Yoona by the elevator door and how he would wrap his arm around her waist casually. How coffee would taste so sweet if Hyukjae brings it to Yoona. How those touches doesn’t seem to be ‘just friends’.

 

“We are not dating,” Yoona clarified to them.  Again.

 

“Yoona, I’m just worried because it looks like you are cheating on your boyfriend,” Yuri said.

 

“I am not!” she yelled. There was no way she would. “If I was cheating, I would kiss or sleep with him, but I’m not, okay! I AM NOT!” Yoona said before storming out of the lunch room. The others just looked at each other and sighed.

 

Yoona cooled down with Hyukjae’s company. He asked why but she just shook her head. Not many words were said. She raised her head and met his eyes. At that moment, she leaned up and gave him what supposedly was just a peck.

 

They were hurrying towards an empty closet and when they found one, they pushed themselves in the cramp room and exchanged sloppy kisses. It was probably all urge, Yoona thought.

 

When night came, Yoona would experience the side of Kyuhyun she only sees. It tires her, but she could not care. Work never tires her as much as Kyuhyun does anyway.

 

 

_*_

 

 

More rumors and talks came around Yoona’s office. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what Yoona and Hyukjae does in the cramp janitor closet. Maybe something not welcomed, but no one really knows. No one dares to ask or find out. Touches and exchange of kisses. Messy hair and ruffled clothing. Things between Yoona and Hyukjae weren’t ‘just friends’ anymore.

 

“You said you won’t cheat behind your boyfriend,” Changmin said.

 

“I—“

 

“Don’t tell me that you aren’t cheating because everyone sees it. Those touches, those looks, those extra activities in the closet, Yoona, you’re not the Yoona I know,” Victoria says and storms out. She swallows a lump. She doesn’t know what she’s doing. She’s out of her mind, perhaps.

 

Throughout the day, she thinks of it and tries to avoid Hyukjae, but just the sight of him makes Yoona crave for him, his touch and kisses. She leaves her table and follows Hyukjae at the elevator. As the door closes, he nips at her ears. She tried to resist. She really did. But she just couldn’t easily do it. She still managed to be dragged by Hyukjae.

 

By the time she was home, she sees Kyuhyun sprawled over the couch and television on. He was probably waiting for her while she finishes her make out session and dinner with Hyukjae. From the looks of it too, he hasn’t eaten.

 

She takes the blanket that was on the floor and tried to place it on Kyuhyun when his hand suddenly holds her hand.

 

“Kyu!” She yelped when he pulled her and enveloped her in his arms.

 

“Just 5 minutes,” he mumbled and she smiles. She wraps her arms around him and together, they fall asleep.

 

 

_*_

 

 

It wasn’t easy as it seems. A few weeks later, a new member joins the Human Resources department.

 

“Tiffany Hwang-imnida,” she introduces and everyone seems to like her. Her eye smiles are her biggest asset that anyone would notice immediately.

 

“Yoona~,” Hyukjae sang his way towards the HR department where he met Tiffany. The guy looked at her for a second before focusing back on the apple of his eyes, Yoona. Tiffany felt sad because she thinks Hyukjae is cute and is a nice guy.

 

“You go first,” Yoona told Hyukjae, who shrugged and left. Yoona followed afterwards, ready to take care of other needs.

 

Soon, Yoona pitied Tiffany. The girl tried her best so that Hyukjae would notice her, but he never gave the same attention he gives to Yoona. Yoona is beginning to think what her relationship with Hyukjae is. They weren’t really friends, nor do they have a relationship.

 

“What am I to you?” Yoona asks when they were having dinner.

 

“Someone special,” he answers and takes a spoon of his food.

 

“What are we?” He looks at him and it was obvious that he couldn’t also pinpoint or give a title to their relationship.

 

“Do you want to know what you mean to me?” Hyukjae asked and Yoona probably regretted it because Hyukjae is showing her that she is someone special, who has his heart. She realized how Hyukjae is probably feeling something that he shouldn’t. She hated it. She should end it.

 

But she didn’t.

 

She found himself in his apartment. Sweaty bodies and sloppy kisses as the room filled with incoherent noises. She lost control of herself. She wasn’t the same Im Yoona she knows.

 

She falls unto the bed and looks at the watch, 10:48 p.m. It hasn’t even been 5 minutes when she got up and dressed herself.

 

“Where are you going?” Hyukjae asked.

 

“I need to go home. It’s late,” Yoona answered as she buttons her blazer.

 

“But you can stay here you know. It’s not like someone’s waiting for you,” Hyukjae teased. Yoona bit her lip and just finished fixing herself.

 

“I’ll see you at work,” she says.

 

She stepped out of his place and hailed a cab. A lot of thoughts were running in her head as the journey goes on. She thinks of reasons why she was late. Kyuhyun is probably waiting for her. But moreover, she was thinking about what she just did. Why? Why? Why? She kept asking herself why she did it. The guilt was eating her. She knows what happened.

 

She cheated behind Kyuhyun.

 

She arrived at their place with a tired looking Kyuhyun. His notes and papers were on the table and she felt like crying. While Kyuhyun works hard and waits for her at night, she goes to work and be with someone else.

 

“I love you,” she whispers and Kyuhyun’s hair. “I love you,” she says again and kisses his forehead. She tries her best not to cry because she hates herself. How can she betray the most important man in her life?

 

 

_*_

 

 

Lunch with Tiffany was great for Yoona. They just clicked immediately and it was no denying that are fond of each other. Their laughter suddenly died down when Hyukjae decided to eat with them. His hand went for Yoona’s and Tiffany just looked away. Yoona chuckled dryly and removed her hand, using it so she could eat.

 

“Hey, I need your help in something. Could you help me?” Hyukjae said and Yoona knew what he meant. She didn’t say anything though.

 

“Tsk. Help in fixing your urges,” Tiffany mumbled too loudly. It was too late when she realized that she wanted to take back her words. She bit her lower lip and closed her eyes.

 

“Excuse me?!” Hyukjae slammed his hand on the table, frightening Tiffany.

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said it,” said the scared girl.

 

“You bet you should. You know nothing in this!”

 

“ENOUGH!” Yoona stood up and pulled Hyukjae away. Tiffany watched the two leave. She felt both disappointment and fear. Yoona took Hyukjae him to their usual closet room.

 

“Finally,” Hyukjae said and loosened his tie.

 

“Stop,” she said.

 

“Is there something wrong?” He asked. He changed the moment he saw her face that was about to cry. She tried not to cry but her tears just fell down. Hyukjae hugged her. It was the first moment they didn’t do their usual thing in the closet. She just cried out her heart on his shoulder. He didn’t ask why, he just hugged her heart out.

 

“Sunday,” Yoona mumbled.

 

“What?”

 

“Meet me this Sunday,” she said and left him.

 

By the time she was home, dinner was ready and Kyuhyun had just stepped out of the shower. In an instant, Yoona ran to him.

 

“Is something wrong?” Kyuhyun asks and Yoona shakes her head.

 

“Just let me be,” she says. He chuckles and hugs her back. She just stayed there. Afraid that she might lose him because what she did was just unforgivable. Here is a man who is ready to give her everything and yet she goes away.

 

 

_*_

 

 

By Sunday, Yoona met up with Hyukjae. He ran to her and immediately held her hand. She didn’t greet him nor smile at him. She took her hand and looked away.

 

“Yoona, you probably got something to say,” he said.

 

“I…” Yoona doesn’t know how say it. What will he think about her? Should it matter anyway? Everyone thought wrongly of her now. What difference does it make if she tells Hyukjae the truth? All she knows is that she’s meant to make things right.

 

“I think it’s better if we stop,” she says.

 

“What?”

 

“This… us… what we’re doing is wrong,” she reasoned out.

 

“But  this isn’t wrong. We’re two people being together. We’re not hurting someone—“

 

“YES WE ARE!” Yoona cried. Tears suddenly fell from her eyes as she continued. “Me… I…. I’m hurting someone.”

 

“If this is Tiffany—“

 

“It’s not just Tiffany. It’s not like you intentionally hurt her. But me… I have… I have someone… I have a boyfriend,” she said with her eyes on the floor. She’s afraid to look at him. She doesn’t think she can look at him properly after everything.

 

“Wait… Do you mean that you cheated your boyfriend with me?” He asked and she nodded. She has her eyes closed by now. He doesn’t know what to feel or say. Slowly, he just turned and walked away. Yoona looked at his retreating figure. She raised her hand and reached out. She wanted to call for his name and hug him again, but she knows she shouldn’t. She couldn’t.

 

She sat by the bench and stayed there. She just cried there until the rain had managed to drop on her. She just stayed there instead of heading home. Even as the rain passed by, she just stayed. She doesn’t know how long she has been there, but she knows she was shivering at the cold.

 

“Yoona!” She turned when she heard that voice. Kyuhyun ran towards her and immediately wrapped her in a jacket.

 

“Why are you still out?! I had been trying to look for you everywhere! Why are you crying?!” Kyuhyun was just in panic because Yoona was in her worst state he had seen in the longest time they’ve been together.

 

Instead of answering, Yoona threw her arms around Kyuhyun, who just hugged her back.

 

“I-I’m s-sor-r-ry,” she shivered.

 

“Let’s go home. You’ve probably gotten sick,” Kyuhyun said and she just shook her head.

 

“K-yu-h-hyun-ah… I... d-did some-t-thing w-r-rong,” she said.

 

“Can’t it wait until we’re home because your condition will worsen,” he said. He’s used to her stubbornness, but this was something he wants to end because Yoona’s freezing and shivering.

 

“I-it can’t-t. Y-you see… I… Ch-cheat-ted on y-you. Mianhae,” Yoona said. Kyuhyun became speechless. Yoona waited for Kyuhyun’s words of anger. She expected the worse, but the more that he wasn’t saying anything, the more it feared her. It probably took him more than a minute to say something.

 

“Let’s go home,” he said and held his hand.

 

“Why aren’t you mad?” Yoona asked.

 

“Because there are things that I can forgive and I cannot. I should be mad, but I just can’t. Maybe it’s because you’re sick… or the fact that I know I can’t stay mad at you for too long because I can’t live without you.”

 

Yoona knew he was mad, but she was just grateful. She tried not to cry because it will just make it hard for her. She doesn’t know why she was so lucky that despite what she did, Kyuhyun stayed. She should be punished, but instead, she got a boyfriend who catered to a sick Yoona.  

 

She felt guilty. She betrayed her friends by saying she wouldn’t do it. She betrayed Kyuhyun, the love of her life. But most of all, she betrayed herself because she became a hypocrite. She said she’ll never cheat, but she did it anyway. 

 


 

Uhm.. Hai~ :3 I did this for almost two hours, starting almost 11 at night, so please forgive me as I am sleepy. XD Please leave your thoughts on a cheating Yoona~ :>