FINAL

When I Can't Sing

Please do remember that this is just a fiction and I have no intention on offensing anyone of the artists mentioned in my story. Enjoy! :)))

 

_Your POV_

 

You watch him cooking in your kitchen, just admiring his manly features. He was cooking shirtless as his broad and toned shoulder revealed in front you. You your lips in lust. His hand stopped and turned around to face you, giving you his boyish grin.

 

“Food is ready.” He said and started preparing the table with familiarity.

“You look good in my kitchen.” You said and walked towards the table and looked at all the food he prepared.

“You haven’t changed every single thing in here.” He said looking around your place.

“You know I like to leave my stuff just the way it is, besides I’m lazy.” You said coldly and he just smiled at you and led you to one of the seats.

“Oh…” A sound of surprise escaped from your mouth as you see something on the table.

“What?” He asked worriedly.

“I thought you’re allergic to seafood.” You said seeing a tempura in the middle of the table.

“I am but it’s your favorite. Come on, eat.” He said and started eating.

“Pabo.” You said and he just smiled back at you.

“Why? I should be hearing ‘Thank You, Oppa.’ Instead of that.” He said teasingly and you just didn’t say anything and started eating too.

 

The dinner was delicious and fun. He talked to you while his bright smile never left his handsome face. After the dinner, he started cleaning the table and dishes which you insisted doing it.

“We both know you can’t do household stuff. Just sat there and watch T.V if you want.” He ordered and you hesitantly obeyed what he said. You sat on the couch and opened the T.V.

Even if I lose everything, if my popularity drops
Even if I can’t sing, if I get a different job
Will you still be able to love me for who I am?


He walked towards you to the couch and hugged you with his bare chest.

“Wear some shirt.” You said sounding annoyingly but he just tightens his hug to you.

Do you know that who I am on screen isn’t really my everything? (Do you know?)
Do you know that my overflowing confidence makes me even more anxious? (Do you know?)
Standing under the flashing lights, there is a thick shadow behind me


“You look like a different person on stage.” You said and his gaze looked at the T.V screen, where singer artist ‘Se7en’ performs passionately his new song.

“Let’s just watch different show. Oh, yeah it’s running man tonight.” He said and changed the television channel. You just watched him laughing hard with what he was watching.

“It’s getting late. You should go home.” You said and stood up from your seat when he grabbed your hand. Silence occupying the room.

“Why you didn’t tell me you’re back?” He said sadly.

“Does it matter?” You replied shortly. He stood up and faced you.

“________ ah.” He called your name longingly.

“Please go home tonight, Dong Wook ah.” You said.

“You know until now, I still lov-”

“Stop.” You said cutting him off. “Please don’t say any further.” You said pleadingly.

“Alright. I’ll go home for tonight but please promise me this time you will not leave me without saying anything.” He said pleadingly. He grabbed his jacket and cap and you led him to the entrance of your apartment.

“I’ll see you soon again.” He said and kissed your cheek gently as you smiled at him weakly. You went back to your living room and returned back to the previous channel.

 

“So, se7en shi, I’ve heard that you composed this song personally.” The reporter asked.

“Yes.” He answered shortly not forgetting to smile.

“and we all guess that this is for her right? And this was composed when you were doing your singing promotion in America exactly when you were away from her. Aiggoooo Hyan Bul shi is really a lucky girlfriend!” The woman said giggling while he just smiled shyly.

Even if I lose everything, if my popularity drops
Even if I can’t sing, if I get a different job
Will you still be able to love me for who I am?

You say that you love me but
Am I really who you love? (Am I?)
You say that you fell for me but
Am I really the one who made you fall for me? (Am I?)
When you are in my arms, looking at me
I want to ask you these questions

 

Sad yet the beautiful melody is stacked in your head and keeps replaying in your mind endlessly.

 

 

“Hey.” You greeted the man inside the room, who seems busy looking at the music sheets in front of him. You walked inside and looked around the room.

“Busy as always.” You said, as he continues his works.

“When did you come back?” He asked coldly.

“Just last week.” You replied, as you take peek on the music sheets spread on his table.

“It’s already been a week and you just come to visit me now. What a cold daughter I have.” He said still acting coldly and that made you just smile. You went behind him and hugged him.

“Yah, what are you doing?” He said and tried to struggle away from your hug.

“Appa, please don’t get mad. You don’t know how much I missed you.” You said acting cute and he finally stopped moving and let you hug him.

“That’s your fault. You were the one who insisted on going abroad.” He said bitterly.

“Aigooo, don’t mention that anymore. I’m already back here. Let me look at you. Aigooo my dad has really gotten old.” You said cupping his face.

“Of course, you were gone for 10 years and who wouldn’t age old when your only daughter is living abroad.” He said disappointedly.

“Well, at least you gained a lot of children while I was gone. The kids all grown up really amazing.” You said.

“Where are you staying?” He asked but this time he already sounded like a father.

“My old apartment.” You said smiling at him.

“Why do you need to go back there where you can always come home? I didn’t touch anything from your room. I know you don’t like it.” He said and you smiled at him lovingly. “Let’s get some lunch.” He said and you just nodded but just at that time, his phone rang so he needed to leave you for a moment. You looked around his office and one file caught your attention.

 

‘Se7en’

 

You looked around first before reaching for it and opened it. It was a file of all his compositions and lyrics that he had done. You were about to close it before anyone could see you when one music sheet caught your attention.

 

‘When I Can’t Sing.’  Date: December 6, 2002.

 

“December 6, 2002?” You stared at it in question.

 

“…..And this was composed when you were doing your singing promotion in America exactly when you were away from her……”

 

“But he was in America 2007…” You said by yourself. You heard footsteps so you quickly put the file back to the shelf and just a right timing the door opened.

“I’m sorry baby, I have an emergency conference call from Japan.” He said apologetically.

“It’s okay. We could just eat lunch next time.” You said.

“Show your face to the 2ne1 kids. They miss you a lot. They keep bothering me when are you coming back.” He said and you just chuckled.

“I will.” You said.

“Oh and have you seen Dong Wook new single?” He said stopping you.

“Yeah. It’s a beautiful song.” You replied.

“Kure? That’s good. I always know you have a good sense in music just like me. If you just didn’t stop from training…” He said sadly.

“Appa, please. Let’s just have lunch on the other day okay?” You said and kissed him on the cheeks and left his office. You were on your way out to the building when you notice familiar figures walking towards you, who also noticed you.

 

“________ ah!” The woman called your name and run towards you as she hugged you.

“Oh…Han Byul ah.” You greeted the woman back with a smile.

“When did you come back?” She asked excitedly.

“Just last week.” You replied.

“Aigooo, why you didn’t tell me you old friend!” She said elbowing me playfully.

“Babe, aren’t you happy to see _______ too? You two used to be best friends!” She said and the man beside her walked closer to you and embraced you for a hug.

“Welcome back, ________.” He said in a soft voice.

“Thank you.” You replied.

“We were on our way to grab lunch, come with us.” She said and you looked at her, lost for words for a moment.

“Ahm, I actually have something to do. So may-” You were still talking when she cuts you off.

“Come on, eat lunch with us. Right, Oppa?” She said and the man just smiled back her in agreement.

 

Eventually, the three of you went to the private restaurant inside the building for lunch. They sat in front of you and you occupied the seat before them.

 

“Did you go meet your dad? I’m sure he really misses you a lot.” She said.

“Yeah, I just went to his office but he was busy as usual.” You said.

“Oh yeah Sajangnim been really busy lately because of the Japanese market for 2ne1 and Bigbang, you know.” She said.

“Yeah I saw it in T.V. I really can’t believe those little girls and boys have all grown up.” You said happily.

“Then, you must also know about us too right?” She said blushingly as she wraps her arms to his.

“Yeah, congratulations. You two really look good together. 7 years of hiding it must have been really tough.” You said as she blushes more and he just looked at you, nonchalantly.

“Yeah, I wasn’t expecting this also, he was more close to you back in our training days, but one night he suddenly confessed to me drunk. Oh my gosh, it was embarrassing to say on T.V how he confessed to me, so we just made it like a love at first sight, right babe?” She said looking at him.

“Yeah.” He replied shortly.

“Oh we both know he is not really strong with alcohol, but you know what they say, the truth comes out when you’re drunk.” You said trying to sound cheerful.   

“So how about you? tell us something about you. You have a boyfriend now?” She asked excitedly as you could also feel his intense stare at you.

“Oh let’s not talk about mine.” You said trying to change the topic by chuckling it away.

“Aigoo, secretive as always. Well, I’m sure you have a lot of suitors. Who wouldn’t fall for a woman like you?”  She said and you just smiled back when suddenly his phone rang and he left the seat.

 

“Thank you.” She said as her sweet smile disappears from her beautiful face.

“For what?” You asked.

“For keeping your promise.” She said.

 

“If you really care and love him, you would leave him alone.” She said.

“Why are you doing this to me?” You asked her with full of sadness.

“Listen, ______ ah. Do you know what people are saying about him? They are saying he is just using you, the daughter of the owner of this agency to get famous.” She said.

“But we both know that’s not true. We love each other sincerely.” You said.

“I know but that’s not going to be said outside the real world. You know how tough people are in our business. Do you want him to be labeled like that? Don’t you want him to be successful?” She said grabbing your shoulder.

“I’m not confident of leaving him…leaving here.” You said weakly.

“You already have everything! With your dad behind you, you could do everything in your life. Go abroad and don’t come back until he is fully successful. You know he only has music in his life unlike you. Please _______ ah. Promise me!”

 

“I always knew you would come back, so I already did my part.” She said. “The photos that leaked in the internet, I did it. Honestly, there was a time that he really wavered a lot and those were the times he was in America. I’ve heard that he kept looking for you so I needed to do something in order to keep him.” She added.

“This wasn’t about him all these years. It was all about you.” You said trying to control the developing anger inside you.

“Well, that doesn’t matter now. Besides, Dong Wook Oppa is just all other man _____ ah. He longs for someone, and I gave him all of that. I enjoyed him and I’m pretty sure the feelings are mutual.” She said with smirk on her face as your hand below the table balled in fist. You just wanted to leave that place. What could more hurt you when you learned that you’re once thought best friend cheated on you just to get what she wants and most especially HIM.

 

“Thank you, ______ ah. You are really my best friend.” She said smiling at you.

“What are you girls talking about?” He asked as he came back to the table.

“Hey babe, ______ actually has a boyfriend now.” She said making him turned to you in surprise.

“Really?” He asked fearfully.

“Yeah.” You replied shortly and you saw how his handsome face darkens.

“______ ah, you should introduce him to us! Oh how about during your birthday? You are going to spend your birthday here this year right? When is December 6 again?” She talked excitedly alone as the two of you were just quiet.

 

‘When I Can’t Sing.’  Date: December 6, 2002.

 

‘It’s my birthday.’ You looked at the man in front of you with full of warmth and care.

 

“It’s on Saturday.” He answered, trying to hide his disappointment.

“Do you have something you want girl?” She asked and you just shook your head in objection.

“I already got one.” You said smiling at him, and just right when your phone rang.

“Oh baby, yeah I’m on my way now. Sorry.” You said to the other line as you stood up from your seat. “I’ll see you guys around. My boyfriend is actually waiting for me.” You said and made a small smile before leaving them two.

 

“Noona.” A flower boy style figure waves at you as he saw you walking towards the coffee shop.

“Hey. How are you?” You greeted and he hugged you tight. “Yah, everyone is looking at us.” You said shrugging away from his hug.

“So what?” He said and you just chuckled at his not changing attitude.

“That’s why you always get into scandal, Jiyong ah.” You said teasing him and the two of you went inside to the private room of the coffee shop.

“How have you’ve been noona?? I haven’t’ seen you after our music video shooting at New York.” He asked excitedly.

“I’m good but I’ve heard my dad is aging because of you. He already has a troublesome daughter like me so just be a good kid to him.” You said slightly scolding him.

“Everyone knows you never caused trouble to Sajangnim.” He said and you just smiled back at him weakly.

“Still have a thing for older woman huh?” You said changing the topic.

“Oh yeah, you should take responsibility of me since this started because of you, BABY.” He said teasingly and you just chuckled. “Seriously, what’s up with a while ago calling me baby over the line? I thought I called a wrong person.” He said.

“Oh, sorry sorry. I was in unavoidable situation.” You said as you took a sip from your tea.

“Did you lose weight Noona? You’ve lost another weight.” He asked worriedly and you looked at him for a moment, making you feel that familiar warm aura.

“Kure? That’s good. I need to keep my figure you know. I don’t get any younger.” You said and you took another sip from your cup, followed by a silence.

“I know what you were thinking.” He said in a serious tone and you looked up at him.

“What do you mean?” You asked.

“I’m not Seven hyung.” He said and you just froze there. “I know we have a lot of similarities but Noona, it’s about time you stop looking at me like you are looking at him.” He said.

“Wha-what are you talking about.” You said in denial.

“I’m not a kid anymore like I used to be before. I exactly know those look in your eyes that you sometimes give me. It’s that look when you look at him.” He said and you smiled at him bitterly.

“Wow, Jiyongie must really have grown a lot.” You said, chuckling to yourself.

“Did you meet him?” He asked.

“Yeah, I actually had lunch with him and with her.” You said looking up at Jiyong.

“You okay?” He asked worriedly like a real brother.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I? I’ve been okay for 10 years.” You said forcing a smile.

“No you’re not.” He said and you looked up to him in confusion. “If you’re really been okay. You wouldn’t be hiding for 10 years.” He said, making you lose your words. “Sometimes, I feel like Hyung is really unfair to Noona. Always being surrounded by the people who loves him, while you on the other hand left being alone…but I also thought that you are really unfair to him. Always pushing him away to his edge. You don’t know how many times he tried to see you even in between his busy schedule in America, Noona. He has always been longing for you and you do too, so why can’t just two of you be honest?” He asked in frustration.

“Because we love each other…” You said as you try to control your tears from falling down. “Because we love each other so much, I’m scared that we will not going to see any other stuff and ends up hurting each other…Too much love is scary Jiyong…Just like any other too much is dangerous to you…I love him so much that think I will be going crazy…” You said as your tear dropped to the back of your fist.

 

 

As you arrived in front of your apartment, you saw a familiar figure sitting in front of your door.

“What are you doing here?” You asked in disbelief. Upon hearing your voice, he stood up from the ground as he took his sun glasses off and smiled at you happily.

“Why are you here again?” You asked coldly.

“I just want to see you.” He said and you sighed in frustration.

“What if people see you here!? You are not just anybody, Dong Wook ah. You are a star!” You said trying to kill your voice from any other people to hear you.

“So what?” He said back, making you really dumbfounded.

“Go home.” You replied but just then you see people coming. You quickly put back the sunglasses back to his face and quickly looked for your door key. People stared at you two, especially at him, who obviously can’t hide his star aura around him.

 

“Isn’t he seven?” One girl whispered to the other girl.

“He looks like one, but who is the girl?” The other girl said, as they both tried to take a better look of you two. Luckily, you found your key and pulled him inside your house and shutting the door.

 

“Are you crazy!?” You shouted at him, releasing all the nervousness you’ve gotten a while ago.

“Yes, I’m crazy because of you!” He shouted back, both of you staring each other.

“This is bull. I shouldn’t come back.” You said holding your head in frustration. “Were you this desperate, Dong Wook ah? You are ing Seven!” You said meanly.

“I just want to see you. Is that really a wrong thing to you?” He said.

“It’s wrong because you already have her!” You shouted back.

“But you know all I’ve been wanting is you.” He said weakly and that was it. You pulled his hand and brought him to your bedroom. As you got there, you started taking off your clothes.

“What are you doing?” He asked in confusion.

“What are you doing? Take off your clothes.” You said.

“What?” He asked again in confusion.

“You want me right?” You said sarcastically. “Oh so you want me to take off your clothes too? Arasso.” You said and walked over him and started removing his jacket as you reached for his jaw to kiss him when he looked away from you.

“What’s wrong baby? I thought you want this.” You said and tried to kiss him again when he rejected you again. He picked up his jacket on the floor and covered it to you.

“Why are acting like some kind of ?” He said.

“Then why are you acting like an old clingy boyfriend? There was no “us” in the first place.” You said bitterly as your grip to his jacket tightens.

“In my heart, there was always “us”. Before anybody else, there was always “you” in my life. Of all the people in my life, you are the least person I expect to treat me like Seven. Don’t you still get it? You are still that person I love and love me when I can’t sing. When I’m not him.” He said as tears run down his cheeks.

“How can you say that I still love you? It’s already been 10 years. We are already old enough to let go of our past.” You said still acting cold.

“Don’t ing kidding me!” He shouted. “Then why are you still living here? Why is everything still the same back here?” He asked, finally letting out his frustrations.

“You know that I’m a lazy person. Besides, I’m comfortable leaving here.” You said.

“Lie.” He said and you looked at him in unbelievably. “You still choose to live here so that I could find you back. Everything is the same not for your convenience but for me. Deep inside you hope that I would come back to you.” He said as every word pierced through your heart. “You are still a bad liar, _______ ah.” He said.

“You’re right. I’m a bad liar because until know I ing love you…I still love you and I can’t do anything about it…” You said breaking down to the floor. He knelt and hugged you gently.

“You don’t need to do anything. You already had me without doing anything in the first place, baby.” He said wiping your tears. “I love you every day of my life.” He said and kissed you.

 

 

“Yeah, I slept well. Don’t worry about me.” You said to the other line.

“That’s good. I have to go but I’ll call you back again later, okay? I love you…” He whispered sweetly from the other line.

“I love you too.” You said and cut the line.

 

“So Seven-shi, tell us more about your love life with Hanbyul shi.” The MC asked teasingly as he just beams his usual boyish grin.

 

“You are mine first...I love you first…but why am I second now?” You said bitterly as you watch the man of your life, smiling for different woman.