idk this OTP is adorable

unexpected

 

"Mi!" he turns when he hears her running feet and her calling him. five years old and they've already been friends for three years of these five. that's about sixty percent of their lives, but zhoumi doesn't know the exact mathematical percentage; all he knows that it's been a really long time since he's known song qian, and she's his best friend and will be forever and always. 
 
"Qian," he replies. "what's up?" 
 
"nothing much," she flounces down on the grass beside him. "just that mama gave me a cookie, and I thought of you immediately. wanna share?" she breaks the huge cookie into two pieces as she speaks, handing one to him even before he can answer. 
 
"okay. but I'll share something else with you next time too, or it won't be fair." 
 
 
 
two young children born into two powerful, very influential families, two of the biggest in China. Their parents were the best of friends and they hoped that their children would be too, which was why they introduced zhoumi and song qian (actually, her christian name was Victoria, but nobody ever called her that. they preferred to go by her traditional Chinese name, song qian) to each other early on in their lives. it was a mistake - the two children became fast friends almost immediately, spending more time with each other than they did with their parents. whatever new toy that Zhoumi had gotten, he had to show song qian. likewise, whatever tidbit or goody that she'd received, she'd share with him. it was the perfect friendship, albeit with the occasional quarrel or squabble, but even that was often resolved almost instantly. surprisingly, this friendship continued even after they'd grown older, even after their parents had expected them to grow tired of each other.
 
 
"will you be my girlfriend?" a boy came up to her one day in the playground and asked, his teeth showing as he grinned at her. "c'mon, you're really pretty," he whined as he grabbed on to her hand. 
 
eight-year-old song qian cringed away as he approached, fumbling desperately for an excuse. "no!" she squeaked, shying even further away and snatching her hand out of his grasp. 
 
"but why?" he said sadly, staring at his empty hand. "why not?" 
 
"because she's already got me." Zhoumi said, suddenly appearing by her side as she racked her brains for an answer that wouldn't seem too rude. he took her hand in his, clutching it tightly as if to reassure her that he was there, that she was safe, that it'd be okay. 
 
"that's right," song qian said, softly at first, but growing louder. "because I've already got him." 
 
 
growing up in the public eye was never really easy, especially since they were the prestigious, gifted children of two of the most successful and famous businessmen in china. everyone expected them to turn out as brilliant as their fathers were, and it was just pressure-pressure-and-more-pressure at every step of the way. sometimes, it got too much, but late night talks with each other over the phone helped to alleviate the fear and stress much better than sleep or anything else could. 
 
 
"Zhoumi?" 
 
"Yes, song qian?" 
 
"what if... what if I can't get into the school that we're both aiming for? what if I'm not good enough to do it? it's only a few weeks more to our final exams and.... and I can't feel as if I'm lagging behind in class, as if I'm too far behind to catch up. I don't like this feeling of being stupid, I don't want to think that I'll disappoint Father -" she broke off, hiding her face into her hands to conceal the tears that must have been trickling down her cheeks, and Zhoumi's heart gave a little twinge. he hated seeing her upset, had hated it ever since they were kids. 
 
"don't cry, song qian. how can you say that you're not smart? you're in the best class, you know? you're intelligent and everyone else except yourself knows it. believe in yourself and you'll be okay for the exams. after all, even if you don't get into the school of your choice, I'll.... I'll give it up for you. I'll go wherever you go." he said, leaning closer to her, using his thumbs to brush away whatever tears he could find. 
 
"no. I don't want you to give up your future for me." although her voice was shaky, her words were strong, and he sighed. 
 
"okay then, selfless," he teased, not entirely missing out on the irony, that to her, he was the selfless one. "why not we study together everyday after school until the exams? after all, it'll be easy since we live next to each other, anyway." 
 
she beamed up at him though tear stained eyes and tear streaked cheeks, and Zhoumi suddenly realised he'd never seen anything more beautiful before. 
 
"thanks Mi. I'd like that very much." 
 
"no problem." he smiled gently at her, that smile she knew so well and loved.
 
 
high school was something entirely different from primary school, with the two of them constantly being too busy with homework, projects and extra-curricular activities to interact much with each other after school. nevertheless, since they were in the same class, they still saw each other everyday and sat together. this, of course, was the start of many rumours - rumours that Victoria and Zhoumi were dating. 
 
 
"are you dating Zhoumi?" one of her best friends poked Victoria laughingly, glee in her eyes at being able to quiet friend. 
 
"of course not! we're just really good friends," she replied, laughing along. "I mean, I've known him since we were three. we're neighbours, our parents are great friends and well, we just grew up together! nothing scandalous about that!" 
 
"oh really?" another friend said, smiling slyly. "so you wouldn't mind if I went after him?" 
 
"I.... of course not!" she felt a spark of something that felt rather like jealousy strike a chord in her, but she brushed it off. after all, Zhoumi was her best friend, and only that. nothing more. it was perfectly okay if he was to date someone else. 
 
so why was it that she felt so protective over him?
 
**** 
 
"Zhoumi! are you dating Victoria?" 
 
"Victoria... oh, you mean song qian? no, she's just my best friend." Zhoumi replied, perplexed. why was his friend asking him this question? was he interested in song qian? because if he was, Zhoumi was going to punch him, and punch him hard. 
 
Zhoumi wondered where this sudden spate of aggressiveness had come from, but brushed it off as protectiveness towards song qian. after all, they'd grown up together, and he was just like a brother to her. 
 
"why not? she's so pretty, and more than half the guys in our class have a crush on her. it's a pity that you're the only boy she'll talk to." the scumbag jeered. all of a sudden, Zhoumi found his face rather annoying. 
 
"look, we're just friends," he bit out before turning on his heel and storming out. 
 
so why did he feel like he wanted more than that? 
 
 
years passed and suddenly, they were graduating. they were adults, they didn't need to study anymore, but rather they would have to go into their fathers' companies and work. through it all, their friendship had made it through, the only constant in a sea of uncertainties and changes, and both of them were grateful. however, their parents' bombshell almost tore apart the only thing that the both of them still held dear. 
 
 
"Zhoumi, Song Qian, we....." Victoria's mother said uncertainly one day. they were all gathered together in one of their living rooms, trading confused looks at each other. did you do something wrong? I didn't, did you? no. must be something to do with our future, then. 
 
"we.... we've already arranged a marriage for the two of you. its to strengthen business ties, and we hope that.... it'll bring both of our families closer together at the same time. plus, Zhoumi's a very eligible bachelor and Song Qian's beautiful. the two of you have known each other for very long, and there shouldn't be any difficulties - I mean, you don't hate each other or anything, so it should be fine... right?" his father continued her sentence. 
 
yes... it should be just fine. it must be. and besides, I don't mind. 
 
the wedding ceremony passed without much fanfare, just the simple serving of tea to the new in-laws and other traditional practices. However, there was to be a lavish banquet after the simple ceremony, where the newly wedded couple would have to celebrate and dance and be in love. 
 
in love, Victoria mused. in love. what, exactly, was love? she'd never had a boyfriend while growing up, because her strict parents had seen to that. of course, Zhoumi had as well, playing the part of an overprotective older brother to perfection. at that time, it had seemed natural, like anything he would do for her, but as she looked back on shared glances, clasped hands and whispers late at night, she wondered if along the way, she had fallen in love with Zhoumi after all. 
 
the thought itself wasn't as daunting as she'd expected it to be, partly because somewhere deep inside her, she'd already accepted it, maybe even welcomed it.she thought back to the times where she'd end up jealous when he'd talk to another girl, how whenever she lay awake at night her thoughts always drifted to him. yes, maybe she had, but did he feel the same way or was he merely marrying her for the sake of their parents? 
 
her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of footfalls. hurriedly, she spun around, the skirt of her dress fluttering around her as she did. "oh, hi Mi," she blurted, trying to erase all of her previous thoughts. when did he become so handsome, she wondered, looking at her soon-to-be husband in his white tux and glowing smile. the smile which she'd fallen in love with.   
 
"Qian," he nodded, smiling, and her heart melted all over again. it was harder now knowing that she loved him, because she couldn't, wouldn't bear the thought of him not loving her back. as those niggling, insecure thoughts squirmed their way into her mind, she turned her face away, for fear of him seeing the look on her face. 
 
"what's wrong?" Zhoumi asked, clearly noticing the distress on her beautiful face. cupping her face gently, he turned it towards him, noting the tears in her eyes. "oh, Qian, if you didn't want to marry me, why didn't you just say so? i... I'm sure your parents wouldn't have minded if your happiness was at stake.... I'm sure they just assumed that you were alright with it. shall we back out? it's not too late to. 
 
"just know that I was honoured that you were actually willing to marry me because I... I was sure that I was never good enough for you, even while we were growing up. and I loved you all along, ever since that time in high school when everyone was convinced that we were dating. I'm sorry, if you don't feel the same way --" 
 
"stop," she shushed, going on tiptoe and silencing him with a finger on his lips. "I love you too... I was just afraid that you wouldn't love me back, and that the only reason why you were marrying me was because our parents had arranged it." 
 
he smiled at her then, the corner of his mouth turned up, and she beamed back at him, both beautiful, both in love, both completed by the other. 
 
"well then, thank you for loving me," he whispered as he bent down, placing his face next to hers, slowly closing the distance between their lips ever so gently. 
 
there is never one definite path for us to walk on in life, but sometimes, if we are lucky, we meet a person who guides us onto it and takes our hand to travel with us together.