like glass

like glass

Kai was on his knees, hands on either side of her thighs with tears in his eyes as he pleaded for her to stay. But it was no use; she was set on leaving him. He didn’t want it to end this way, he didn’t want it to come to this but it was all said and done.

She pushed his hands off her and yelled at him to leave her alone. She grabbed her bag on the table and headed for the door but Kai was quicker. He slammed the door shut just when she could open it. She turned around to face him with rage in her eyes, “Let me out, Kai.”

“Why are you doing this to me?” he asked. His fringe stuck onto his forehead from the sweat.

“I don’t love you anymore, Kai. Now let me out!” she yelled, pushing Kai away. Kai only pinned her against the door, forcing a haste kiss on her lips in a final attempt to cancel what she just said. She pushed Kai off, slapping him hard across the cheek. He felt the burn spread across his face and she stormed out of the apartment forever.

Kai closed his eyes, letting the tears fall freely now as he clenched his fists and began punching the door and the walls, pushing off the vase, the photo frames and the books on the shelf near him. He punched the framed mirror on the wall that served as decoration to the little living room, pieces of broken glass were shattered on the floor and there was blood on his hand.

He felt his heart rip into a million pieces, wishing he could fix the times where he went wrong in this relationship. He knew he was spending way too much time in the dance studio; dancing was his life. He knew he barely spent time with his girlfriend but she hadn’t said anything. She never gave him a warning. She never told him she wanted to see more of him. She never showed any signs of being unhappy and now she’s gone.

Kai leaned against the door, sliding down to settle into a crying mess on the floor by the thrown books, broken pieces of glass and fragments of his life. He hugged his knees, getting blood on his pants as he sobbed.

He was surprised when he felt a soft hand gently touch his bleeding fist. Without saying a word, his housemate had come with a first aid kit and began cleaning up the open wound. “This is gonna sting a little,” said Kyungsoo as he looked at Kai with his large eyes, waiting to make sure Kai had heard him. Kai nodded, chest still heaving from his heavy sobs. Kyungsoo poured the alcohol onto a cotton ball and slowly patted the cut. Kai winced once and the other boy apologized, “I’ll try to be quick.”

Kyungsoo did as best as he could, thankful that the cuts weren’t deep. He thinks they’ll heal on their own, provided Kai doesn’t punch anymore glass anytime soon. “Okay, your hand is done. Did you... Are you hurt anywhere else?” asked Kyungsoo.

Kai shook his head. He didn’t know what to feel anymore. He wanted to be sad and continue basking in his misery of the breakup but with Kyungsoo around treating his cuts, it was rather weird having to be polite to his usually absent housemate in this kind of situation. “Right, well do you mind if you went to your room? Maybe change your pants, there’s blood on it,” said Kyungsoo, a firm hand on Kai’s back. His eyes were wide and inquisitive. Kai has been living with him for about four months and he’s only noticing that now.

“Can’t you just leave me alone?” asked Kai. He didn’t sound rude, it was simply a question.

Kyungsoo smiled empathetically and patted Kai’s back. “I would. Trust me, I get it. I’d want to be on my own too and be sad. But I just have to clean up the place a bit. You kinda threw my textbooks and broke my vase. I just wanted you to be somewhere safe so I know you won’t step on broken glass or whatever.”

Kai’s mouth went agape, looking at the strewn site. There were psychology textbooks on the floor and pieces of what used to be a red vase. He just realized that none of those things were his. “I am so sorry, I wasn’t even thinking when I-“

“Naah it’s okay. I’m just glad you didn’t rip my books. And the vase was a gift from my mom but it’s so hideous, I am actually thankful that it’s broken now,” said Kyungsoo with bright eyes and a grin.

Kai bit his lower lip. “Well I’ll help you clean up. It’s the least I can do.”

“No no no, please. I can do this on my own, I really don’t mind,” insisted Kyungsoo. “I mean your hand is really bad right now, best not to move it too much. Otherwise you’ll get an infection. It might lead to amputation.”

“Serious ?” asked Kai, holding his hurt fist close to his chest.

“Mhmm,” said Kyungsoo, already picking up his books off the floor. He had no idea how true that was but whatever, he just had to scare Kai into not doing anything. “So please don’t do anything anymore.”

Kai nodded awkwardly. “Thanks, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo gave him a thumbs up sign and quickly disappeared to get a broom from a little closet and began sweeping the glass. He was picking up the glasses and he may not know it yet then, but he was picking up the pieces of Kai’s life too.

--

Kyungsoo came from a rich family, he was the only child and he was often spoiled by his parents as a kid. But he always had a flair for independence and it was the most natural thing for him when he decided to move into Seoul city to further his studies in university, majoring in Psychology. His parents had the hardest time letting him go but he was a firm person, unwavering once he made up his mind. He refused his parents’ offer to financially support him; instead he worked as an assistant to a psychologist in the city.

He decided to rent an apartment instead of live in the dorms of his university because he didn’t like the constant parties and how his peers seemed to have this insatiable thirst for meaningless adventures like hanging out, getting drunk only to wake up with hangovers the next day and attend school anyway to show just how badass one can get. Kyungsoo felt that was all bull and he liked being alone anyway.

But rent was expensive and the place was a tad bit too big for one person. He expressed his desire in getting a housemate to split the rent by advertising in the little cafes he frequented.

Kai was an aspiring dancer, greatly motivated and highly talented. He was a city boy, raised and bred in Seoul. He had no parents, only an uncle who was assigned to take care of Kai. The uncle quickly allowed Kai to live in the apartment as advertised, willing to pay for the rent. Anything to get rid of Kai. And Kai was more than happy to leave.

Kyungsoo and Kai both met and after finding no common ground, everything seemed strictly business. An agreement was made that they’d split the rent in half, sharing of toiletries was allowed except for toothbrush and neither needed to bother with meals although voluntary cooking was welcome. Kai spent most of his daytime at this fancy high arts school, taking his afternoons and evenings in the dance studio and he was worn out by the time he got home so he’d just go to sleep.

Kyungsoo spent his day on campus, working at the clinic in the afternoons and studied some more at home in the evenings. He usually cooks dinner for himself and made extra just in case Kai wanted some; thus creating a silent agreement that Kai would buy some groceries in exchange for Kyungsoo’s gesture. They’d eat separately though.

Kai brought his girlfriend to the house once in a while. Kyungsoo didn’t mind when Kai briefly told him the first time. He simply said, “Hey, I might bring my girlfriend over if that’s cool with you.”

Kyungsoo shrugged and added, “Sure.” He trusted Kai to be a decent enough person to at least not have on the couch or anything like that. Kai never introduced her to him and it didn’t really matter. Neither had bothered to make conversations during the four months of living together. They had their own thing going on and they assumed they had nothing in common hence no reason to speak to each other.

--

It was late at night, Kyungsoo went out to get a drink and was surprised to see Kai on the couch with his psychology textbook in hand. “Are you reading my textbook?”

Kai nodded nervously, embarrassed. “Yeah, I just... I can’t sleep and this was here so I just picked it up.”

Kyungsoo smiled. He went into the kitchen and made two mugs of chamomile tea. He placed one mug on the table near Kai, “Drink this. It’ll help you sleep.” Kai picked it up, smelling it before thanking him quietly.

“Listen, I’m sorry about your breakup,” offered the wide-eyed boy, thinking the alleged dancer would be having a hard time. That was the first time he’d ever seen the dancer so full of emotion – the yelling was bad enough but the crying and punching of walls were just intense. Kai always seemed such a calm and cool person who looked like he didn’t two s about anything.

Kai chuckled, shaking his head. “Hate it when that happens,” he muttered mostly to himself.

“Hate what?”

Kai looked up at his housemate. Man his eyes are huge. “Just when people leave. Unexpectedly,” said Kai. He shifted in his seat, thinking back when was the last time he had spoken to the other boy. It was awkward because he didn’t know how Kyungsoo would react. But at the same time, it was comforting to have someone to talk to.

“You’ve had people leaving you before?” asked Kyungsoo with eyebrows raised.

“My parents.” Kai cleared his throat and took his time in having a few sips of the tea. It was good and he wasn’t sure if it was the tea or the sudden chance of pouring his thoughts out to Kyungsoo, but he felt calmer. He appreciated that Kyungsoo didn’t say anything after that. He knew then that he was free to elaborate or dismiss the topic altogether.

“They died in a car accident,” said Kai, looking at his feet. “It happened when I was six.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” said Kyungsoo, eyes sad.

“Yeah, me too,” he said. “They gave their money to my uncle, saying I could have the money when I turned 18. But unfortunately, my uncle had me sign some papers when I was eight years old. Turns out I had consented to hand all that money to him.”

“That’s not fair,” replied Kyungsoo, shaking his head. “Why don’t you ask for it back?”

“I don’t really care though. He wires me money every month and that’s good enough for me,” said Kai. He chuckled as he reflected on his words. This was the first time he ever told this to anyone. Ever.

Kyungsoo smiled, biting his lower lip as he paused with a thought in his head. “Well hey, for what it’s worth, your parents didn’t want to leave you. I’m sure they’d want to be with you for a really long time.”

And that was the first time anyone has said any words of comfort to Kai since his parents’ death. He hadn’t heard it from his uncle – his mother’s brother. And he figured, if a close relative didn’t care for his parents’ death, why would anyone else care? He looked at Kyungsoo with sincere gratitude.

--

Kyungsoo had already gone to school when Kai woke up the next morning. He began brushing his teeth by the counter in the bathroom. He noticed there was a yellow hand-written note by the mirror:

Kai, make sure you use the ointment
on your cuts. It’s the one with the green cap.
- Kyungsoo

He looked by the sink and there was a little white tube with a green cap. He smiled and looked at his bad fist, feeling dumb for breaking the glass. He recalled the day Kyungsoo brought that piece home and hung it up by himself. Kai had looked at it once and Kyungsoo said with a bright grin, “It’s so you can see your reflection just before you leave the house.”

“, I need to get one and replace it,” said Kai to himself.

Kai got ready and went to the kitchen to grab perhaps an apple before leaving to school. Fortunately, Kyungsoo had made sandwiches and left them in the fridge. He ate those and mentally reminded himself to buy some muffins later to make up for eating his housemate’s food. He got to school and by the end of the day, he got home all too tired to even remember to buy muffins or a new mirror.

He smelled the chicken as soon as he stepped in the house, glad to see Kyungsoo in a dark green apron. He was starving and Kyungsoo was one hell of a good cook. “Is that chicken you’re making?” asked Kai, taking off his jacket to reveal milky arms in a loose tank top.

Kyungsoo looked up at the other boy, “Yeah, I got home early today and I just felt like making this. You hungry?”

“Famished, man,” said Kai, lifting his shirt to scratch his smooth stomach. Kyungsoo chuckled and said dinner will be ready in 15 minutes.

“Do you need any help?” offered Kai, ruffling his hair.

Kyungsoo shook his head, “Nope. Get a shower, maybe? You look really sweaty and you kinda stink.”

Kai laughed. It was the first time he spoke like that. Hell, this was the first time Kai came home and immediately engaged in a conversation with Kyungsoo. And he liked it. For once he felt like this wasn’t some place he’d come to after a long day. It wasn’t just a place to get some sleep. It actually feels like ...home. Kai didn’t know exactly what a home was but he imagined this was pretty damned close.

“Alright I’ll take a shower,” he said, rolling his eyes.

 

Dinner was good and they both had beer in the living room on the couch afterwards. Conversation was easy and they spoke about school, only then finding out what they both were passionate about. “So you like exploring the human mind,” stated Kai, taking a huge gulp out of his fourth can. Kyungsoo chuckled and sipped on his second can, “And you like to dance. Who knew? I always pictured you’d study business or, I don’t know, be a spy or something.”

“A spy?” said Kai incredulously, eyes unfocused as the alcohol began to take its toll. “Why would you think I was a spy?”

“Because you’re so quiet and private. Really, I had no idea if you had siblings or even go to school. For all I know, you could be out all day killing people,” remarked Kyungsoo. Kai laughed heartily. The wide-eyed boy grinned, liking this new side of his housemate. He was glad he could see this side to Kai, he felt like he finally managed to unlock a complex vault.

Kai heaved a sigh and laid his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “I think you’ve been trying too hard on understanding the human mind. My mind is pretty simple,” said Kai, words slurring a little and added, “Everything ought to be simple, right?” He chuckled and further slid his head down onto Kyungsoo’s lap, making himself comfortable as he curled his feet up on the long couch.

Kyungsoo bit his lower lip. A boy was asleep on his lap and he sighed tiredly at the thought of having to carry him into his bedroom. As if on cue, Kai began snoring very faintly as shoulders heaved up and down with every deep breath he took.

“Okay. Kai, get up,” said Kyungsoo, nudging the sleeping boy’s elbow. It didn’t work.

He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, hoping the movement would wake him up. “Seriously, get up. At least wake up so you know where you’re sleeping. You’re in my lap, come on,” he said, tapping Kai’s shoulder. “Dude, I know we just started getting to know each other and I think we’d be good friends but this isn’t okay with me. Get off me please?” said Kyungsoo, tapping Kai’s forehead as a final and desperate attempt to wake him up.

Kai merely grimaced and said in a hoarse voice, “Shut up already.”

Kyungsoo was stunned. Everything he had thought Kai was as a person was entirely incorrect. So much for studying the human mind; he had read Kai all wrong. “Fine,” uttered Kyungsoo with a pout. He downed the rest of his beer and looked at the sleeping boy in his lap. He can’t quite imagine the boy dancing though, and he made a mental note to ask Kai to demonstrate one day. He sighed, placed one arm on the length of the couch with the other arm over Kai’s chest. “You’re lucky tomorrow’s a Sunday,” muttered Kyungsoo as he shut his eyes and leaned his head back.

--

Morning came and Kyungsoo found himself lying down on the couch with a pillow under his head and a blanket over his body. He wondered why he was in the living room instead of his bedroom for a moment before recalling the situation last night. There was a note on the table, written in childish calligraphy:

Hope you don’t have plans this morning,
I didn’t wanna wake you up.
Because I don’t know how to.
and sorry!

-Kim Jongin

Kyungsoo rubbed his temple and wondered who the hell Kim Jongin was. “Is that Kai’s real name? Kim Jongin?” he asked out loud.

“Yep,” replied Kai, walking into the living room shirtless. His slight tanned body looks nice in the sun-lit room.

“Then how... Why Kai?”

Kai shrugged, “It’s just a nickname that stuck.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, shaking his head. “So why bother using Kim Jongin in this note?”

“I don’t know. Whatever, I guess you’ll learn something new about me everyday, yeah?” said Kai as he went into the kitchen to get a bowl of cereal. “Anyway, you have plans today?”

“No,” said Kyungsoo, rubbing his eyes. “Why? Do you wanna take me out for breakfast?”

Kai stopped in his tracks. “No... Unless that’s what you wanna do,” he said, eyes not meeting Kyungsoo’s gaze. He felt stupid then when he sensed the blood rush to his cheeks. He was blushing and it was unnecessary.

Kyungsoo pouted in thought for a while, shrugging and said, “I’m hungry and I don’t feel like making breakfast so I’ll definitely eat out.” He got up, folded Kai’s blanket properly and laid them on the pillow. Then he left to take a quick shower and got dressed. Kai abandoned his bland cereal to get dressed as well.

Both came out in a nice t-shirt and denim pants. Kyungsoo walked out of the front door with Kai tagging closely behind. He frowned and turned around to face the taller boy, “Oh you’re coming with me too?”

Kai felt dumb when he blushed earlier. Now he just felt ridiculously embarrassed and idiotic. “Well I thought... I mean if you-“

Realizing how uncomfortable Kai looked, Kyungsoo quickly tried to fix it “Sure! That’s great because I hate eating alone.” Which was true. He offered Kai a bright grin that made his eyes diminish into absolute cuteness. Kai smiled too because damn his smile was infectious.

While eating, Kai asked if Kyungsoo had a girlfriend and how many has he had. Kyungsoo shook his head, “I don’t have a girlfriend now. I’ve had two girlfriends before, I loved both dearly but it just didn’t work out. What about you?”

Kai scoffed, “I’ve had several girlfriends, none of them stuck around long enough to get serious. Majority of them complained that I loved dancing more than I’ll ever love them. And you know about my most recent relationship.”

“Do you miss her?” asked Kyungsoo.

Kai smiled, “Not as much as I thought I would. I think... You’re distracting me well.”

The shorter boy nodded once, ignoring the fact that he was blushing, “Is it true though? That you loved dancing more than you loved any one of them?”

Kai shrugged, “Dancing has always been there for me. It gave me what I needed. I feel like myself when I dance and then I get so tired afterwards so I just sleep. It was a way to keep me sane and happy after my parents died. It let me sleep well too. No girlfriend made me felt that way so... Yes, I do love dancing more than them.”

With that said, Kyungsoo bit his lower lip and pondered Kai’s words. It had this almost poetic quality to it that inspired Kyungsoo; at that moment he realized he had a profound respect for Kai. “Well then, I have to see you dance,” he said. Kai laughed and his face lit up with enthusiasm, “Definitely! We could go to the studio right after this!”

--

Kai changed into his sweatpants that he kept in the locker, the stereo and stretched his limbs for a while, keeping his eyes on Kyungsoo. The shorter boy smiled and sat on the floor, leaning against the mirrored wall. An R&B song was playing and Kai began moving to the beat. He was a whole other being when he danced; he exuded so much confidence and charisma, it was overwhelming to watch up-close. His eyes hooded as he bit his lower lip, swaying his hips ever so slowly only to snap up swiftly with another move. He smirked at Kyungsoo and the boy sitting down had his jaw on the floor, eyes wide in amazement and he couldn’t even be bothered to hide his amusement. This was a side of Kai that Kyungsoo decided he’d call his ‘guilty pleasure’. Kai was beautiful and for some reason, something in him stirred.

When the choreography ended, Kai was panting for breath, fringe matted on his forehead from the sweat. He winced as he struggled to gasp for oxygen. “So- do you think I’m a good dancer?”

Kyungsoo couldn’t find his voice. He merely nodded earnestly.

Kai laughed, “Okay , now I’m thirsty but I forgot to bring water.”

“You’re a really good dancer, Kai,” said Kyungsoo, applauding way too late. “Like, I can’t even... I mean, that was amazing. You did really well.”

“Thanks,” he replied.

“Can’t your girlfriend just watch you dance? I cannot believe she isn’t content with just the fact that you can dance like that. Has she seen you dance?,” said Kyungsoo mostly to himself. And he wish he hadn’t because now Kai was looking at him weirdly. A slow smirk grew on the dancer’s face as he sat across Kyungsoo on the floor. He took off his sweaty shirt and said, “Can you dance?”

Kyungsoo shook his head shyly, “I can’t.”

“Have you tried?”

He shook his head again, trying not to notice the beads of sweat that bordered on Kai’s shoulders and chest. Kai ruffled his hair, “Then you can’t say that you can’t dance. Want me to teach you?”

“Not today,” said Kyungsoo, diverting his eyes onto something else. Anything else but Kai.

--

They didn’t see each other much on the next weekdays due to school and work. Kyungsoo made an effort to make dinner as often as he could and Kai tried coming home early to join his housemate for the meal. He kept in mind that Kyungsoo hated eating alone; and he didn’t want his cute housemate to ever eat alone if he can help it.

They had beer after dinner for a few nights, simply talking and watching television together. Kai found Kyungsoo highly endearing with his little antics; laughing until his eyes disappeared or spacing out with his large dark eyes, the way he bites his lower lip in a deep thought or how he’d steal glances when he thought Kai wasn’t looking. Kai knew. And Kai liked it.

Kyungsoo caught Kai stealing glances at him too.

When the weekend finally came, Kyungsoo hinted several times that he wanted to see Kai dance again over breakfast. “Are you going to your dance studio today? I could send you,” he asked. Kai ate the pancakes his housemate made and shook his head, “Nope. No dancing today.” The shorter boy pouted and tried again.

“If you’re so passionate about it, shouldn’t you dance everyday?” asked Kyungsoo.

Kai chuckled, the maple syrup off his fork,” But everyone needs a break once in a while.”

 

The dancer was doing the laundry when Kyungsoo went in the laundry room with his iPad, playing some R&B music. He grinned and began nodding his head to the beat, “Makes you wanna dance right?” Kai raised his eyebrows inquisitively, setting the detergent back in the little cupboard.

Kyungsoo swayed his hips to encourage the other boy, knowing very well he looks stupid right then. Kai laughed, shaking his head, “Here, I’ll teach you an easy move. You look crazy. Follow me.” He took Kyungsoo by the wrist, standing him by his side. He taught him a brief series of moves which was fairly easy but Kyungsoo struggled with it so Kai had to handle him. The dancer stood behind Kyungsoo, massaging his shoulders quickly, “Just relax. This is easy.”

He made Kyungsoo spread his legs and bend his knees slightly. “This is a little awkward,” said the shorter boy. Kai laughed, his hot breath brushing over Kyungsoo’s neck, “Shut up and spread your legs.”

In little time, Kyungsoo got the moves and was dancing- ...sort of. “You need a little more practice but you’re gonna be just fine. Just don’t go out clubbing yet,” stated Kai, patting him on the back.

Kyungsoo pouted, “It doesn’t actually matter if I dance or not. The thing is, you can.”

“So?”

“So... I just... Never mind. I’m gonna- You gotta do your laundry,” said Kyungsoo, walking out of the laundry room with his head down and eyebrows in deep furrows.

Later, Kai went into Kyungsoo’s room to return his iPad that he had left. But the boy was asleep on his bed with an open textbook by his head. Kai chuckled at the sight, laid the iPad on the bedside table and picked up the textbook. “It’s only midday, how are you even sleepy,” muttered Kai to himself.

He sat on the bed to face Kyungsoo. “Why did you seem so upset just now hmm?” whispered Kai as he ghosted his finger over the contour of Kyungsoo’s smooth cheek. “What is it you’re not telling me?” he asked.

Kyungsoo shifted and his eyes fluttered open. He gasped when he saw Kai’s face barely inches from his. “Kai, what are you doing here,” he asked, eyes wide. Kai grinned, flicking his forehead lightly, “To return your iPad. Dude, you’re taking a nap at this time?” Kyungsoo nodded and rubbed his eyes, “I can sleep whenever I feel like it okay.”

“Geez, no need for attitude,” said Kai.

Kyungsoo frowned, “No, I didn’t mean it that way. I meant I can actually fall asleep anywhere. I fall asleep easily.”

“Oh.”

“Sorry, tone came out wrong. Just woke up and all...” said Kyungsoo, sitting up across Kai on the bed. “You’re done with the laundry?”

Kai nodded. “Yeah, all done. Hey listen, what’s up with... I mean, did I do something wrong? You seemed kinda pissed just now.”

“Pissed? Why would I be pissed?” asked Kyungsoo, eyebrows furrowed.

“In the laundry room. After you learned how to dance and I said you’re not ready to go clubbing. Were you offended by that? I was just joking you know,” answered Kai. He bit his lip and grimaced slightly.

Kyungsoo’s cheeks were tinged with red and he scratched his head. “No, I wasn’t offended at all. I just...” He shook his head and chuckled nervously.

“What is it?” Kai smiled, sensing he’d like to hear the truth judging from how embarrassing his friend was getting. Kyungsoo met his eyes briefly before looking away with sigh, “I actually just... I wanted to see you dance.” He winced and shut his eyes, utterly mortified, just waiting for the judgements or Kai’s announcement to move out or whatever. Instead, he felt a hand on either side of his cheeks. He opened his eyes to see a smiling Kai.

“Why didn’t you just ask me, you loser” said Kai, ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair with a grin.

--

The first time they slept together in the same room was when they decided to take the weekend off and go clubbing. Kai had declared Kyungsoo ready to make his dancing a public debut.

That night, girls flirted with both of them, but more so towards Kai because he was just oozing with -appeal on the dance floor and everyone’s eyes followed him. Kyungsoo included. And he didn’t know what to do about all the girls who bought them drinks or gave Kai their numbers and whispered dirty things into Kai’s ear. Kyungsoo resented it and he hated that he resented it. He didn’t need to feel this way; he shouldn’t. But he was reeling in his jealousy that he decided to down several shots of diverse colourful cocktails.

“You’ve had a lot to drink, Kyungsoo,” said Kai as he settled in next to him on the plush velvet sofa.

“Still not enough though,” replied a tipsy Kyungsoo. He hated that Kai now smelled like girly perfume. He downed another shot glass. He gave up on counting after the sixth shot, brain too buzzed to count past that. He stood up and got on the dancefloor, his moves more fluid now that the alcohol was coursing through his veins. A few girls danced around him, grinding on him in places where it should’ve felt good. And it did feel good, so why did Kyungsoo glance at Kai to see if he was looking or not? It pleased him that Kai was indeed looking, face expressionless and unreadable. Just like the very first day they met.

“You’re a good dancer,” whispered the girl in his ear, guiding his hand from her waist to her backside. She kissed a spot on Kyungsoo’s neck and it made him shudder a bit, smirking at the girl. “I learned some moves,” he said, vague images of him and Kai in the laundry room passing his mind.

“That sounds good,” said the girl, pecking the corner of his mouth. Kyungsoo shut his eyes, trying to get rid of the nice moments he had with Kai. He kissed the girl hard, desperate to distract himself; just like how he had distracted Kai from his breakup.

Kyungsoo felt strong hands pull him away from the girl, a quick apology was uttered to her on his behalf and he wanted to punch somebody because he was so angry but he can’t because he was so drunk. “What the- Where are you taking me?” he asked his captor. Kai dragged him out of the club, hand gripping Kyungsoo’s arm tightly. “You’re hurting me, Kai. Stop! Let me go!”

When they were outside, free from an audience, Kyungsoo shoved his hand away. “What are you doing?! I was having fun!”

“We’re going home. You’re drunk,” said Kai calmly, though the rage was obviously reverberating through him. Kyungsoo wanted to argue but he was too drunk and all he really wanted was to sleep. Kai hailed a taxi and told the driver their destination. “So it’s okay for you to dance with girls but it’s not okay for me?” said Kyungsoo, eyes closing but insistent on putting up a fight.

“You weren’t just dancing with her. You were kissing her,” stated Kai, glaring at the shorter boy.

“And that’s such a bad thing? Why did you stop me?” said Kyungsoo, sitting up now and facing Kai.

No answer.

“Why did you drag me out of there?” asked Kyungsoo some more, pushing Kai’s arm once.

“Don’t push me.”

Kyungsoo pushed him again just to piss him off. Kai barely looked at him and said, “Stop. You said you were sleepy, so sleep. I’ll wake you up when we’re home.”

Kyungsoo folded his arms and frowned, determined to stay awake. But alas, he gave in to the sleep in hopes that he’d sober up by the time the ride was over. Kai paid for the fare, tapped Kyungsoo’s shoulder and helped him get out of the car, to which the latter refused with a shove. They both got inside the house and Kyungsoo attacked as soon as the door was shut. “Answer me, Kai. Why did you drag me out like that? Why did you stop me?”

“I’m tired, let’s talk tomorrow,” said Kai, sounding defeated.

Kyungsoo pushed him, knowing that would get him going. He needed to know the answers now. Kai merely glared at him, anger in his eyes. Kyungsoo gave another strong push right on the chest, causing him to fall back. Kai got up and immediately shoved Kyungsoo against the wall, panting as he fought the urge to punch him in the face.

“What?! it Kai, what?! Were you jealous that I kissed her?!” yelled Kyungsoo in his face, eyes looking up at the taller boy.

“Yes, I was. Is that what you wanted to hear? HUH?!” yelled Kai back, punching the spot on the wall just by Kyungsoo’s face. “You think it was fun for me to watch you with her?!” He let go of Kyungsoo, taking a step back and gripped his hair with both hands. “I am losing my , Kyungsoo. And it’s all because of you,” he said as he shook his head.

Kyungsoo was stunned into silence.

“I dragged you out of there because it made me so ing pissed to see you kiss her like that. Okay? That’s the truth. I was jealous and I was angry and I know I have no right to be, but I am sorry,” continued Kai, looking at the floor. “I don’t know what the this is but I just ...can’t help it. I can’t fight it anymore. It’s tiring.”

“What‘s tiring?” asked Kyungsoo, taking a step towards Kai.

“Trying not to like you,” answered Kai in a little voice. A slow smile spread on Kyungsoo’s face, he bit his lower lip, “So stop trying. Just ...like me. ‘Cause I like you.” Kai’s eyes lit up, a grin emerged and he huffed once.

Kyungsoo drew himself nearer as he slowly undid the first few buttons of Kai’s dress shirt, revealing a smooth and bare chest. Kai beamed, holding the other boy’s neck and leaned in for a kiss. Soft sighs melted in the air, bodies close and warm. Kai pulled away with a smile, “Oh yeah, I never got the chance to thank you for the ointment you gave me. My cuts are totally healed now. All of them.”

“You’re welcome,” replied Kyungsoo, biting his lower lip before kissing him some more.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

finally finished this at like 2am last night (sorry if there are grammatical and spelling errors, i swear i beta-ed this LOL - kind of)
i had intended to make Kyungsoo ill at one point to make Kai appreciate him more but my heart cannot take the thought of a potential fictional death of my dear boy. so.... yeah hence the angst keke. anyway, i just hope you like this~! KaiSoo ftw :)

ugh so cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeee