Lost and Found

Lost and Found

 

It's translucent, with a black nozzle at the top that was a bit torn and worn from being used and drank from over and over again for a long time. Faded stickers that you could get from cereal boxes from the local convenience store were pasted all over it, and some had even been scratched off, leaving the usual sticky remants of the white paper still stuck to it.

 

It's been over a little more than five hours since it left its owner.

 

It's been over two hours since it found itself sitting on a stranger's bed.

 

It's been over a hour since it found itself being ogled at by Jung Daehyun.

 

Jung Daehyun wasn't a stalker, no, and neither was he an overly-obsessed creep who would spend nearly a quarter of his afternoon staring at someone's water bottle. There were so many things you could do within that long time span of one hour, and Daehyun just felt that it was necessary for that inanimate object to receive his fullest attention. Why? Because this wasn't just anyone's water bottle. That holy and sacred artifact belonged to someone Jung Daehyun had spent (and wasted) his second year of high school fawning over.

 

Right on the bottom of that water bottle was a self-made name tag, something perhaps only that person would have thought of doing, because he was an innocent young boy, afraid of losing his items and getting scolded by his parents for it. The person's name, address and phone number were scribbled on and the sides of the tag was decorated with stick men and twirls; all his contact information proudly displayed right there, in case he ever lost it.

 

Moon Jongup.

 

Daehyun reached over to touch it, and retracted his hand as if it was boiling hot and he had accidentally scalded himself. He rolled off his bed, tumbling to the floor and squealing in choked fits at what he had just done.

 

I touched Moon Jongup's water bottle. I touched it.

 

Daehyun giggled to himself, feeling his own face flush at the very thought of touching something that belonged to his long-term object of affection. He peeked at the bottle from the ground again, daydreaming of how he actually managed to be that lucky.

 

He looked at the nozzle of the bottle, and blushed at the thought of how Jongup had always drank from it, how that lucky little thing could always hang around Jongup and receive lip action from the boy everyday.

 

Could he...?

 

No, Daehyun thought, slapping himself. He wasn't a disgusting ert who would go drinking from his crush's water bottle. No, definitely not. Imagine what Jongup would think of him if he ever found out.

 

Daehyun gulped, looking at the bottle again. There was still water inside, and he was feeling a little thirsty. Maybe a little sip...?

 

The door to his bedroom opened and Daehyun flung himself on the bed, hurriedly grabbing the water bottle and stuffing it under his pillow. He winced at how rough he was treating it, but turned his attention to the person standing at the door instead.

 

"Daehyun? I heard weird noises in here, what exactly are you doing?" Daehyun's mother asked, staring at her son. He was laying in a weird position on the bed, on his stomach with his hand over his pillow, cursing his awkwardness and silently praying for his mother to hurry up and leave.

 

"I-I fell out of bed mum, I was taking a nap just now," Daehyun lied, scratching his pink ears nervously.

 

Daehyun mother raised her eyebrows, stepping inside the room. "You fell out of bed because you were taking a nap?"

 

"M-must have been a nightmare," Daehyun shrugged, rubbing his clammy hands together. He blinked as his mother clicked her tongue, unbelieving.

 

"Are you hiding something from me?"

 

"What?"

 

"Son, I would understand if you reached a certain point in your life when you feel the need to 'get off'," she stared at Daehyun's crotch before continuing, "and as a mother, I feel the need to know if you are alri-"

 

"MUM. Get out," Daehyun spluttered, pushing his mother and forcing her of his room. He had bigger problems to deal with for god's sakes. A problem like that thing under his pillow.

 

"I'd understand if you are hiding from me but-"

 

Daehyun slammed the door in his mother's face, and sighed. He rubbed his face lethargically, dragging his feet over to his bed again. He gently took the bottle from under the pillow, and scoffed at himself for acting like such a sissy. The small meeting with his mother knocked some sense into him, and he wondered why he was even acting like an idiot just now.

 

He rolled the bottle from palm to palm, feeling the same bubbly feeling in his stomach return.

 

It was all Moon Jongup's fault.

 

[Earlier that day in School]

 

"Daehyun, could you just grow some balls, walk over there and ask him out?" Minho, his friend, said, gesturing to the stage as they took a break from practice.

 

"Yah, show some respect would you, I am the captain here," Daehyun scowled, whipping Minho on the head with his towel. Minho rolled his eyes.

 

"My point exactly. Daehyun. You are the captain of the basketball team. You are one of the smartest people in class, and you are in the student council. You are top of the food chain for god's sake, and girls and guys flock to you every-single-day."

 

Daehyun stared at his friend. Top of the food chain? Who even uses that kind of language anymore? "So?"

 

"So, I have no absolute ing idea why you are acting like such a girl over that guy in the white-"

 

"Minho!" Daehyun hissed, clamping his hands over his friend's mouth. "Someone could hear you," he said in a low voice.

 

Minho scoffed and he pushed Daehyun's hand away roughly. "Puh-lease, as if nobody knows about your little crush on Mr. Sunshine over there." he gestured towards the group of dancers carelessly, and Daehyun smacked his hand away, glaring at him.

 

The basketball team were having their usual practice at the gymnasium, which also housed a stage for when their school had functions and performances. The dance team in their school usually practiced at their dance studio on the other side of school, but given the fact that it was now under construction, they had to use the gymnasium along with the basketball team until the end of next year.

 

As respected captain of the basketball team, Daehyun took his role very seriously, ensuring none of his team members were distracted or unfocused during practice. He was pissed and irritated at the prospect of having to share their training space with the dance team at first, that is, until he found himself ogling at a certain person once or twice - losing himself and the ball by accident during those times.

 

His vice-captain Minho thought it was cute and endearing for their usual cold and quiet captain to have a crush on someone until recently, when he started to act like an absolute sissy over the matter. Minho found himself scoffing whenever Daehyun immediately turned to where the dance team practiced at after scoring a three-pointer, to see if that certain someone noticed.

 

Minho was now too ashamed to admit ever having looked up to his captain before.

 

Daehyun turned to his basketball team, whom, at that point of time, were trying to listen in to their conversation. They turned away the moment their captain glared at them, trying to look as if the lines on the basketballs they were holding were the most interesting thing ever.

 

Daehyun's eyes narrowed, but they grew wide when he looked to the front again, and realized who was walking towards them. He ignored Minho's incessant nudges and pokes and he was absolutely sure that was smirking right next to him.

 

He gulped and cleared his throat as Moon Jongup stood in front of him, wearing his usual white wifebeater and dressed in that classy black sweatpants of his, holding a video camera.

 

"Sorry for this sudden request, and I know you guys are taking a break from basketball, but I was wondering if you could film me and my dance mates while we dance? Our hands are a bit full at the moment, and we can't find anyone else to-"

 

"Yes! I mean, yes, o-of course, I-I will do it," Daehyuh blurted, and wanting to slap himself after that for sounding so eager. Minho snickered next to him, and Daehyun felt his ears redden.

 

He stood up to follow Jongup, all confidence lost as he accidentally tripped over his feet after taking his first step.

 

Play it cool, Jung Daehyun, just play it cool.

 

Daehyun thanked the heavens Jongup didn't notice, for he was walking towards the stage, having assumed Daehyun was following right behind. Daehyun glanced back at Minho, who gave him a thumbs-up, mouthing, 'go for it.'

 

Jongup turned to Daehyun when they reached the stage, and handed over his video camera.

 

"Here, erm, Daehyun right?" he said softly, their hands gently brushing against each other.

 

He knows my name.

 

"You just have to press this button over here to record, and then this button-"

 

Jongup was bending over the video camera that Daehyun was now holding, his head right below Daehyun's nose. Daehyun could gently whiff the type of shampoo Jongup was using, and he breathed in deeply, for this could be the only chance he would ever get of being this near the boy. Jongup looked up after explaining the correct way to use the video camera, looking into Daehyun's eyes and causing Daehyun to gulp at the close proximity of their faces. He could see every detail of Jongup's face, his small little eyes and that tiny mole on the left side of his nose...

 

Did you get that?

 

Daehyun saw Jongup's mouth move, but he couldn't be sure if he had actually spoken or not. He let out a garbled, choked noise in response, which led to Jongup crinkling his nose in slight confusion.

 

No, I was too busy staring at your perfect little face and I didn't get what you just said because I want to hear you say it again, was what Daehyun wanted to say after clearing his throat, but he settled for a meek "yes".

 

Jongup smiled, his eyes turning into those adorable crescent moons, and he patted Daehyun on the back slightly, thanking him. He immediately ran over to his dance team, and motioned for them to get in formation.

 

Daehyun fumbled about with the video camera, pressing the button Jongup had instructed him to, or was it this one? and started to film their dance. As he did, and observed Jongup through those lens, he wondered what had caused him to fall heads over heels for that boy.

 

Was it the way he moved so fluidly when he b-boyed? The way he could change from that innocent young boy to the charismatic, fierce performer when he danced? The way his face would scrunch up in the most precious way ever when he was confused, or when he was in total focus as he reviewed his team's dance steps in the videos he took?

 

Maybe it was Jongup's cute little lips, or his high cheek bones. Not to mention the way his eyes twinkled when he smiled at his team members, telling them they did a great job that day.

 

Daehyun wasn't sure, but he knew that Jongup was way too perfect to be true. As nice as he was, however, the young boy probably wouldn't appreciate being ogled at so his confession would probably have to wait.

 

Daehyun would never forget the day he first noticed Jongup, when they both arrived early at the gym to set up some stuff for their team members. Jongup hurried to help Daehyun move the many baskets of basketballs from backstage after seeing him nearly fall down as the older couldn't really see where he was going. That day was significant too, for Daehyun had lost his lucky keychain, that tragic little incident somehow sparking off his little crush.

 

He was okay with just admiring Jongup from afar, and Daehyun didn't want a stupid move to ruin Jongup's impression of him.

 

Sorry to disappoint you, Choi Minho, he scowled inwardly, but smiled again when he realized the dance team had finished their routine. Jongup jogged over towards him, slightly breathless and panting after their practice. He thanked Daehyun for his help, and Daehyun shook his head, placing the video camera in his hands, saying it was no big deal. His inner fanboy slightly whined in protest for having to leave so soon, and before he could help it, he blurted out asking if he could see the video he recorded.

 

Jongup looked surprised, but he nodded cutely, saying it was okay.

 

"Gather around team," Jongup said, gesturing to his team mates. They crowded around the little camcorder, and though Daehyun wanted to stand next to Jongup for a little while more, he was pushed and nudged to the side by the dance team. Daehyun grumbled, unable to see anything, opting to just stand awkwardly by the side instead.

 

They watched the video in silence, and one by one the members looked up to stare at Daehyun weirdly. Daehyun blinked, biting his lips nervously. What did he do now?

 

The video ended and by that time everyone except Jongup was staring at Daehyun. His palms were sweaty and he was near freaking out because he had no idea why they were looking at him like that. He was about to ask when Jongup laughed.

 

Daehyun could have sworn it sounded like bells chiming and angels singing, and he all but wanted to hear it again. He stopped himself when Jongup walked over to him, smiling and giggling and his cheeks slightly pink.

 

"Daehyun, I think you forgot to zoom out, you were supposed to film the entire team, not just me," Jongup said, showing Daehyun the recorded clip.

 

Daehyun felt his ears go hot and he was pretty sure his reason for filming Jongup wasn't because he forgot to zoom out.

 

"S-sorry, I will do it again," Daehyun stuttered out. Jongup smiled gratefully, and passed him the video camera once more.

 

Yup, that confession would have to wait.

 

His basketball team ended practice later than usual that day as Daehyun had nothing else to vent his embarrassment on, and settled for making his team run a few more rounds around the gym. The dance team had already left, and Daehyun dared not look at them when they did for he did not want to be reminded of that toe-curling moment again.

 

It was around six o'clock when Daehyun decided that he had tortured his team mates enough, and asked them to start packing up. He jogged to the side of the stage where the switches to the lights and fans were, and as he started to switch them off, he saw a familiar shape hidden between the folds of the curtain.

 

Daehyun's eyes went wide as he walked slowly over towards the curtain, picking up that object.

 

Many a times he had seen Jongup's lips grace the nozzle of this water bottle.

 

He turned the bottle upside down, and felt his breath get caught in his throat when he read the name on the name tag, confirming whose owner it belonged to.

 

"Daehyun!" Minho's voice called and Daehyun hurried to stuff the bottle inside his bag.

 

"Are you leaving or not?"

 

Daehyun ran over to where his team members were waiting, his heart and bag both heavy at this new opportunity that had risen.

 

-----

 

Daehyun felt his heart sink with every step as he walked up the stairs to Jongup's classroom, his confidence slowly depleting every time his shoes made contact with the ground.

 

He had long memorized the route to the classroom before and often planned the routes he could take to his other classes that would enable him to pass by that class. Feeling squeamish, he wanted to run away the moment the sign 'Class 2D' came into view.

 

It was break time, and Daehyun knew from his many stalking sessions that Jongup would usually use this period to catch up on school work, for he was a hardworking and endearing student like that.

 

He felt his breath hitch as he stepped into the classroom, and indeed, Jongup was sitting at his desk, spectacles on, earphones plugged in, pouring over his chemistry textbook.

 

Daehyun looked around the classroom and saw that they were the only ones in there, and he breathed a sigh of relief. He didn't want anyone to witness what a screw-up he was if he actually did confess.

 

It's now or never, he thought, as he walked over to Jongup, his blood rushing in his ears and his heart thumping against his ribcage. His knees were turning to jelly with every step he took towards Jongup, who was still scratching his head with the tip of his pencil, unaware of Daehyun's presence.

 

It was until Daehyun stood stiffly right next to his table did he look up, blinking and recognizing the senior he saw in basketball every Thursday of the week.

 

Daehyun took the water bottle out of his bag, his hands slightly trembling as he held it out. Jongup looks surprised as he takes the bottle, their fingertips slightly brushing against each other which sends electricity coursing through Daehyun's veins.

 

"Y-you left this at the stage yesterday," Daehyun says, his voice robotic and monotonous. Jongup nodded, looking down, and Daehyun feels lost.

 

That's it. He should say something, anything, but he can't. Just a "Hey, I was wondering, since I saved your water bottle and all, maybe we could go out for a drink some time?" but when Jongup looks up, smiling and thanking him, all words were lost. He spluttered out that it was no big deal, and turned to walk out of the classroom.

 

He had this golden opportunity, but he was going to let it go to waste like this. He was starting to regret not drinking from that water bottle when he had the chance.

 

"Wait," Jongup spoke.

 

Daehyun turned back, looking at Jongup. His eyes were casted to the bottle in his hands and Daehyun could only see the tip of his pink ears and his brown mop of hair.

 

"Actually-" Jongup reached for his pencil case and fumbled around a bit, taking out a familiar looking thing that Daehyun had long forgotten about.

 

"T-that," Daehyun stuttered, and saw Jongup blush and held out the keychain. Daehyun's keychain. The one he thought he had lost in the earlier half of the year.

 

Daehyun reached out to take his lucky keychain, a cheap one-dollar thing he had bought in a kiosk when he had won his first match with his basketball team. He blinked as he looked at Jongup, his heart beating faster and faster with every passing second.

 

"I saw this hanging on your bag and found it on the floor at the gymnasium one day," Jongup started, fiddling with his bottle. "I-I thought you would try and ask me or my dance team if we had seen it but you didn't and-" he stopped, his face going an even darker red when he accidentally made eye contact with Daehyun again.

 

Daehyun waited for Jongup to finish, his vocal chords betraying him as he felt realization wash over him.

 

The way he sometimes caught Jongup hanging around the gymnasium longer than usual.

 

The way he saw Jongup give a small smile when he scored a three-pointer.

 

The way Jongup sometimes reached the gymnasium earlier than s did.

 

"I was wondering if we could hang out sometime?"

 

Yes. Daehyun breathed, and judging from the way Jongup smiled and grinned with his cheeks slightly pink, he safely assumed that came out right.

 

That would be really, really nice.

 

 

A/N: hwah first attempt at writing a one shot xD check out my chaptered Daejong fanfiction: Crazy Young Love too and leave pretty comments please! :D