L is for Lamp

If You Wish It

 

Choi Eunmi briefly stared at her wall clock for what it seemed like a few minutes. She had no intention of studying tonight, even though she knew that if she didn’t, her grades will suffer for her. Eunmi shuts her unread University book and leaned her back against the cushions of her couch.

 

A Typical day for Choi Eunmi

 

Living alone in a run-down apartment wasn’t really what she intended, but it was most convenient for her. Lucky for her, she found this apartment complex a few blocks away from her University. Both of Eunmi’s parents passed away in a tragic accident, leaving her with sufficient money to live off her own.

 

A knock came upon the door and Eunmi’s head perks up. She furrows her eyebrows before walking over to the door and looking through the peephole. She sees the short old landlady carrying a small box with her tiny hands.

 

Eunmi smiles and unlocks the door.

 

“Miss Eunmi,” The landlady greeted as she held out the rectangular box in front of her. “Seems like you have a delivery.” Eunmi tilted her head at the box and then shifted her eyes at the lady. The landlady smiles at her and reaches to put the box into the young girl’s arms.

 

Eunmi grabs the box hesitantly and raises it to read the address. “It came all the way from America?” The weird thing is, she doesn’t know anyone at all who lives in America. She barely knows anyone out of South Korea. She glances back at the landlady who slowly shrugs her shoulders. A light laugh came from the old lady’s mouth as she patted Eunmi’s shoulder lightly as if she was a daughter of her own before she left Eunmi’s door.

 

“Thank you!” Eunmi said faintly before shutting the door.  She placed the box on the counter of the kitchen table and stared at the box for a moment. What was she doing? Was she waiting for something to pop up?

 

She sighs deeply before unraveling the tape off the rectangular object. As she opens the seals of the lamp, she wonders why the address doesn’t have another name on it besides hers that was printed nicely along the edge of the box.

 

A golden antique lamp was jabbed right in the middle of the box, surrounded by silky blue cushion paddings around the edges and bottom. Eunmi frowns at the vintage object. She didn’t really think much of the lamp at all. Nor did she understand why it came all the way from America.

 

As she lifted the Lamp carefully, she noticed how heavy the object was. She placed her fingers on the tip of the lid and tilted it off but nothing was there. She raised the lamp closely to her face. At the edge of the lamp was engraved with something coating over with a layer of dust and rust. She grabs the hem of her shirt and starts to rub off the coating so that she was able to read it.

 

The spot on the lamp where she polished revealed a beautiful cursive lettering of a ‘L.’  Eunmi shakes her head disappointedly. If she needed to go to back to elementary school she would have. Of course, L is for lamp.

 

She bits her lip and places the lamp back on the counter and pivots her feet away and towards her bedroom. As she takes a step away from the kitchen a loud ‘poof’ rang behind her, followed by a gust of air, making her hair blow in front of her face.

 

At the time she didn’t think much of it; she was barely thinking at all, but as she turned around the only thing she saw was the beautiful, gorgeous figure of a guy, dusting himself off.

 

His eyes followed Eunmi’s petite figure and smirks.

 

“It’s about time someone let me out of that lamp.”

 

 

::::::::

I know it’s kind of short for a first chapter,

but please tell me what you think! Thank you for reading!