The Birth Of A Great Chef

Cooking? Cooking!

It was a sunny afternoon and the whole city of Seoul is as peaceful as ever, until…

BOOM!

A mini explosion was heard in one apartment unit in Seoul followed by the rings of the fire alarms and Infinite’s leader’s frantic yells.

“Jang Dongwoo!!” Sunggyu yelled frantically as he got out of his bed then proceeded to the kitchen where black smoke was coming from. “Where *cough* are you?!”

“I’m *cough* here hyung,” Dongwoo called back. “I can’t see *cough* through the smoke.”

“Aish,” Sunggyu exhaled as he planned to go in the kitchen but thankfully the sprinklers came on succeeding in getting rid of the smoke. “Jang Dongwoo! What the hell were you doing in there?!”

“I cooked some ramyun,” Dongwoo said sheepishly as he let the water from the sprinklers clean the black smudges off his face.

“Ramyun?!” Sunggyu exclaimed as he examined his dongsaeng for any wounds. “Don’t you just put the noodles in the water with the seasoning and let it cook? How did it exploded like this?”

“The noodles burned,” Dongwoo explained with a sheepish smile as he held the plate with the burned noodles for his hyung to see.

There on the plate Sunggyu’s eyes saw a black curly rock which he quickly determined was the ramyun’s noodles. Trust Dongwoo to burn noodles in water.

“How did this happen?” Sunggyu asked.

“Well you see,” Dongwoo started while scratching the back of his head. “It started with the noodles burning and when I took it out with a strainer the remaining water exploded, it was a good thing I tripped and got under the table.”

“I guess I should be thankful that you’re clumsy then,” sighed Sunggyu making Dongwoo laugh. “Now help me clean this mess before Woohyun gets back and sees his darling kitchen ruined.”

“That’s one of the things I envy about Woohyun,” Dongwoo started as he grabbed the mop.

“You envy that greaseball?” Sunggyu joked.

“It’s cause he can cook Gyu,” Dongwoo explained. “He doesn’t have to wait like me for someone to give him food, he just cooks it himself.”

“That is a useful skill,” Sunggyu mused as he himself can only cook fried foods, and he even gets scared sometimes of the oil that pops from the pan. “But you know, Woohyun was a terrible cook when I first met him, even more terrible than you.”

“You’re kidding me?” Dongwoo said with an awestruck face, he could never believe that someone is a worse cook than he is, let alone Woohyun.

“I’m not kidding you,” Sunggyu replied with a light laugh as he stopped cleaning the pot. “When we were living together as trainees he managed to burn the outside of the meat but keep the inside raw.”

“Is that even possible?”

“It was for Woohyun,” Sunggyu laughed as he began recalling with Dongwoo.

 

Flashback

“Woohyun you idiot! That was the last of our eggs!” Sunggyu scolded the younger as he saw that the kitchen floor and stove were covered with broken egg shells, burned and runny eggs.

“Sorry,” Woohyun mumbled, he didn’t dare to look at his hyung.

“Aish,” sighed Sunggyu. “Just help me clean.”

When the kitchen finally looked like how it looked like before the two of them just decided to order some jajangmyeon for dinner.

“Why were you trying to cook anyways?” Sunggyu asked as he mixed the noodles. “You never tried before and you told me that in your house Boohyun-hyung does all the cooking.”

“He does,” Woohyung replied as he swallowed the noodles. “Which is why I never learned.”

“So why did you even try?”

“Bacause,” Woohyun started as he placed the noodles down. “I didn’t get you anything.”

“Get me what?” Sunggyu asked with utter curiosity.

“A present,” Woohyun explained.

“Present for what?”

“Are you really that old to forget your own birthday?!” Woohyun cried, obviously irritated by the elder.

“Is it the 28th already?” Sunggyu said as he peered at the calendar.

“Yes you forgetful old hamster,” Woohyun cried. “And I feel really guilty about not getting you anything.”

“Look Hyun,” Sunggyu smiled. “Its fine really, knowing that we’ll debut together soon with the others is already the perfect present for me.”

“Really?” Woohyun smiled but then was whack on the head by Sunggyu. “Ow! I thought you’re fine with no gifts?!”

“I am,” Sunggyu replied simply as he went back to his food. “But you’re dead wrong if you think I’ll let the old hamster comment fly.”

“I guess that makes us even,” Woohyun pouted at the elder.

“Gross! Don’t pout like that!” laughed Sunggyu. “Leave the aegyo to the ones who can do it.”

“Yah!” Woohyun cried. “This face was made for aegyo!”

“What part of it?” Sunggyu joked. “But kidding aside, manager-hyung will kill us for finishing a week’s worth of egg in one sitting.”

“Then we say we ate it all,” Woohyun said before chewing his food.

“2 men finishing 2 dozens of eggs,” Sunngyu said deadpan. “He won’t believe it and if he does he’ll kill us.”

“I guess you’re right,” the younger muttered as he stared at the trash can full of broken eggs, he really needed to learn how to cook.

 

The following day after practice…

“Ah!” Woohyun exhaled as he lay on the floor. “I’m tired.”

“It’s because you’re old hyung,” Sungyeol joked only to have a towel thrown at his face.

“Yah! We’re the same age you brat!” Woohyun cried making the others laugh.

“Speaking of old,” Hoya started as he slung an arm around Sunggyu. “Happy Birthday Gyu-hyung.”

And with that said the lights went off and SUngjong and Myungsoo got in the practice room with a cake. The cake’s candles lit up the room and a merry happy birthday song was heard before Sunggyu blew on the candles and the lights went on again.

“Did you guys made this?” Sunggyu asked as he got a better look at the cake and it’s poorly written ‘Happy Birthday Sunggyu’ on it and on one side was a rat thing. “What’s this? A rat?”

“It’s a hamster!” Sungjong cried. “And I worked so hard on it too.”

“And sorry about the hand writing,” Dongwoo said with a small smile.

“At least it’s edible,” Hoya added.

“You guys made this?” Woohyun asked for he was quiet astonished at what his dongsaengs and hyung made.

“Me, Hoya and Dongwoo-hyung,” Sungjong explained happily.

“Is your kitchen still in one piece?” Sungyeol joked.

“It is!” Dongwoo retorted. “We got Jungyeop-hyung’s help.”

“You got CEO-hyung to help you?” Sunggyu said as he placed the cake down.

“He was afraid we will destroy the kitchen,” Hoya shrugged.

“Well then,” Sunggyu smiled. “Let’s eat this cake that Jungyeop-hyung made.”

“Yah!” Sungjong pouted. “We told you that we made it.”

“I bet you only decorated this and let hyung do all the work,” Sunggyu said with a smirk.

“Is it that obvious?” Hoya asked.

“At least we helped,” Dongwoo said then he noticed that one member was missing. “Woohyun-ah! Where are you going?”

“Oh, my brother tested me and asked me to meet him,” Woohyun explained with a smile as he proceeded to the door. “I’ll be back later, save me a slice hyung.”

And with that said he was gone leaving a slightly puzzled Sunggyu behind. I mean, just last night the younger one was fretting that he didn’t get him a gift and now that it was his exact birthday he wasn’t going to celebrate it with him. Sunggyu was about to sigh when suddenly icing was wiped across his face.

“Stop looking so glum hyung,” Myungsoo, the icing perpetrator, said. “You’re making Jongie’s hard work go to waste.”

Sunggyu just smiled as he wiped the icing from his face, vanilla, his favorite.

 

Now Sunggyu thought that Woohyun meeting with his brother was quite a normal thing since he knows that the two of them are really close and now that Woohyun will be debuting soon he’ll get busier than ever and they won’t have any time to see each other so spending time together now is quiet normal, at first. After spending 5 days straight meeting his brother after practice did Sunggyu get suspicious and Woohyun is starting to go home more later in each passing day. So on the 6th day that Woohyun went out after practice did Sunggyu decided to ambush the younger when he got home.

‘It’s already 11:19’ Sunggyu thought as he lay on his bed. ‘Practice ended at 9, just where is that brat?’

And as if on cue he heard the door to their shared apartment click open signaling that the younger finally got home. Sunggyu then got his ninja skills ready and stealthily went out of their room so that the other won’t know that he’s still awake. At once he saw the light to the kitchen was open.

‘What is he doing in there?’ Sunggyu thought as he heard plates and utensils being set on the table.

He peeked into the kitchen and from the corner of his eyes he saw that there were a variety of lunch boxes set on the table and Woohyun was taking a bit from them all.

‘Where’d he get the food?!’ Sunggyu cried in his head.

“Too salty,” Woohyun muttered as he took a taste of the food which Sunggyu noticed was jajangmyeon. “Gyu-hyung wouldn’t like this.”

‘Huh?’ the elder thought as he saw Woohyun take a bite from another lunch box, this time it was kimchi.

“Hot!” cried Woohyun as he got water from the fridge then chugged it all down. “But I guess that’s for the best since Sunggyu like spicy things.”

Woohyun then started on the deokbokki filled lunch box.

“To soggy,” Woohyun commented as he stuck his tongue out. “Maybe I should have taken it out earlier than what hyung said, or maybe I place too much water in it.”

‘Is he,’ Sunggyu thought as he suddenly realized something. ‘Is he taking cooking lessons from his hyung?’

Sunggyu is unconsciously smiling right now as he made his way back to his bed, he didn’t know why but for some reason he felt really really special right now.

 

The next morning Sunggyu was woken up by a bouncier Woohyun.

“Hyung!” Woohyun said happily. “Wake up Gyu!”

“I’m awake,” Sunggyu said sleepily although his eyes were still closed.

“Aish,” Woohyun said as he pulled the elder up. “Will you just get up you old nag.”

“Why do you want to ruin my peaceful sleep?” Sunggyu complained as the younger dragged him to the kitchen.

“Look,” Woohyun started as he placed the elder on the chair. “I still feel guilty about not getting you anything on your birthday.”

“You’re still hung up on that?” Sunggyu said a bit shocked at how the other’s guilt could go so far. “I told you its oka-”

“Will you just let me feel guilty hyung?” Woohyun said a bit exasperated. “I worked really hard on this.”

“On what?” Sunggyu asked.

“This,” Woohyun said as he got a small cake out of the fridge.

As Woohyun handed it over to the elder with a beaming smile Sunggyu suddenly noticed the worn out hands that were holding the cake. They had a few bandages and a small burn on the palm. Sunggyu couldn’t help but grab Woohyun’s hand gently examining the small scars with his fingertips.

“At least my beautiful face didn’t get ruined,” Woohyun joked as he saw his hyung’s worried face.

“At least,” Sunggyu agreed with a small smile.

“Hyung,” Woohyun began. “Are you finally admitting that I have a beautiful face?”

“Are you seriously gonna ruin this atmosphere with your vainness,” Sunggyu deadpanned at the other.

“I’ll be quiet now,” Woohyun said as he sat down. He then pushed the cake towards Sunggyu as he handed him some chopsticks. [AN: seriously… they eat cake with chopsticks o_O] “Now eat your cake so that you could praise me.”

And Sunggyu did just that, he took a big piece of the cake and ate it but as soon as he began chewing did he regret not tasting a little first.

“Water!” Sunggyu coughed as he held his throat and Woohyun frantically got some and Sunggyu chugged it all down in one gulp. “What the hell *cough* did you put in there?! *cough*”

“I may have put too much cinnamon in it,” Woohyun laughed sheepishly. “I guess Boohyun-hyung was right in saying I should just put a pinch in it instead of a whole pack, but don’t worry hyung, I’ll get better at this cooking thing.”

Sunggyu wanted to say something but that dorky proud smile on the other’s face made him stop and just smile at the younger, he just silently prayed that he will live through Woohyun’s cooking since he thinks that he will be the number one taster for the younger.

End of Flashback

 

“No wonder you always excused yourself from practice because of stomach ache back then,” Dongwoo laughed as Sunggyu finished telling his story. “We all thought that you always had diarrhea or something.”

“Don’t be gross,” Sunggyu said with a light blush on his cheeks.

“But it’s kind of to be expected of Woohyun to go out of his way and learn how to cook for you,” Dongwoo smiled.

“They did say that food is the way to a man’s heart,” a different voice suddenly replied to the two of them.

When Dongwoo and Sunggyu turned around they saw the other members return from their individual schedules all looking astonished at the kitchen which was perfectly clean earlier.

“What happened to my kitchen?” Woohyun asked.

“Dongwoo tried to cook,” Sunggyu simply explained and they all shared a look of understanding.

“Yah!” cried Dongwoo. “What’s with those looks?!”

“It’s the look of pure understanding hyung,” Sungyeol replied.

“I swear,” Dongwoo started. “One day I’ll be a better cook than all of you! Then you’ll all be begging for my food! Bwahahahahaha!”

“Are you on drugs or something hyung?” Sungjong asked innocently.

“Do I look like someone who’ll take drugs maknae?!” Dongwoo cried feigning hurt.

“No,” Myungsoo interjected. “But you’re acting like you are.”

“Now now kids,” Hoya got in between. “How about we actually clean this mess?”

“Yeah,” Woohyun added. “I can’t cook in this kind of environment.”

They all then started to clean the dirty kitchen so that Woohyun can actually cook dinner for them. While the younger ones were cleaning Woohyun quietly took Sunggyu into their shared room to give him something his been preparing since this morning.

“The others will kill us if they find out we’re slacking off,” Sunggyu said although he was glad he got out of cleaning.

“Oh come on Gyu,” Woohyun laughed as he began rummaging through his closet. “I know you’re actually glad that I got you out from cleaning.”

Sunggyu just smiled at the other, of course Woohyun would know that.

“Now close your eyes,” Woohyun said as he held something in his hands but he wasn’t turning around.

“Why should I?” the leader asked suspiciously.

“Just close them Sunggyu-hyung,” Woohyun said.

“Okay,” Sunggyu replied as he slowly closed his small eyes. “But you better still have your clothes on when I open them!”

“Of course I will!” Woohyun retorted. “Unless you want to take them off yourself.”

“Aish you little brat,” Sunggyu cried as he opened his eyes and what met him managed to place a smile on his face at once.

There was Woohyun – fully clothed – holding the same cake that he baked for the first time years ago for his super belated birthday. The only difference is that this cake looks more decent and the design is more well made, and of course there was a little hamster at the middle.

“Don’t worry,” Woohyun laughed. “I didn’t put cinnamon in it, I put chocolate powder instead.”

“Thanks Hyun,” Sunggyu smiled as he gave a light peck on the other’s cheek.

“Can I get one on the lips? Cause I got the date right this time,” Woohyun smiled.

“Don’t push it,” Sunggyu laughed at the younger but nonetheless did kiss him fully on the lips and he felt Woohyun smile into the kiss.

 “Happy Birthday Sunggyu,” chuckled Woohyun as the two of them pulled away.

“Thank you.”

 


 

and this has been my little oneshot for Sunggyu-oppa's birthday =3