You Are My Friend

To Love and Be Loved

"Are you okay?"

I blinked twice. This voice...right. It was Tae Yang's. My eyes focused back to reality. We were sitting next to each other on chairs in one of the prepared tents. It was break time and we were waiting for our managers to come back with food. 

"Ah, sorry. I was lost in thought..." I quickly explained. He craned his neck closer to examine me. I turned my eyes towards the ground.  

"You didn't answer my question though.." he silently said. I looked up back at him and thought back to his question. 

"Sorry again....but what did you ask me?" I asked. He kept his gaze locked on mine as he spoke softly. 

"Are you okay?". I quickly nodded and looked back down again. What a horrible person I was, thinking about Hyunsik's behavior got me so worried, now even Tae Yang can tell. 

"I know we have only been through three episodes worth of filming, but if you need anything or want to talk about anything you can come to me. I'm not just some singer-dancer ya know?" he said silently again, now watching my shaking legs. I bit my lip. Should I tell him? It was true that we weren't a fan-bias relationship anymore but also not quite as friends either. We barely knew each other, but....I wanted to, no, needed to tell someone. What if Hyunsik was in real trouble? 

I sighed before speaking. "My friend," I began and looked at him, "my best friend actually, he....he's been distant lately. We were really close and did everything together, but suddenly he's been more quiet, and whenever we talk sometimes he's off in another world. He doesn't seem as excited anymore and when I ask, why, he always claims it's because he's been stressed and is just thinking. But what if this thinking is something else? Why won't he tell me? I'm his best friend, and we were always there for each other."

"He's....an idol as well," Tae Yang's eyes widened. "And his group is preparing for another comeback soon approaching...I understand that there's tons of stress and stuff, but when they did their other comebacks he wasn't at all like this. What if we're drifting....what if he doesn't like me anymore, am I too annoying? Am I a burden? I just..." I lowered my eyes.

Tae Yang thought for a few moments, cleared his throat and then spoke clearly. 

"I think, he's too afraid to tell you a weakness of his." I raised my eyebrows. "Men are seen as the strong ones, they shouldn't cry and stuff, you know?" I nodded my head. "And maybe he's just really scared that you would judge him if he told you. In a way, he's trying to protect you by being distant. I'm sure it's also the stress from preparing for the comeback, I know alot of that plays a role. Talk to him, tell him how you feel." He stared into my eyes. I diverted his gaze and looked straight ahead.

"We're not lovers or anything...we're oppa and dongseng (brother and sibling)..." I said automatically. I froze at what I just said...why did I say it?

"Ah, so then that eliminates the cause of maybe he's fallen for you and doesn't know how to handle it." Tae Yang said. 

"My oppa...he's a great person. Always there for me whenever I need comfort. If I'm scared, sad, happy, mad he'll be there and listen. And now that he's in that position and I'm waiting for him, he won't come..." Tae Yang shifted so that his elbows rested on his legs and he turned his head to look up at me.

"He just needs a little push...best friends will always tell each other their problems, but maybe he is really scared."

"Young-bae shii, do you have a best friend who you go to to talk about things- even if they're the darkest and deepest things...Well, i guess it's Gdragon shii and the Big Bang members huh...that seems nice, to have four people you can confide in. " I started. Tae Yang froze as he thought about it. He rested one hand under his mouth as it stood for support for his chin. 

"Ji Young ah and I are best friends, but we've never really confided in each other as deep as how you describe your friendship...I mean we're closer than the other Big Bang members, but....no. We're also very busy with music and schedules... I don't think I have a friend who I can....." he didn't finish as a dark look overcame his face

"We just leave it to our minds to process and...hide it as we go on."

Sadness and anger floored throughout my body. Sadness because here was a man who just confessed that he was lonely. Anger because he wouldn't tell anyone and because no one asked. Tears were forming on the corners of my eyes as I realized the extent of truth in what he just said. I swallowed back a lump in my throat.

"Okay then." I said. He looked up. I tried to hide my tears, covering my face with my hands. 

"Sometimes, sometimes it feels good to tell your story even to strangers. You get whatever's on your chest off and it doesn't hurt anymore. For me, I know I'd like it because strangers don't know you or your past so they can't judge you yet. They just sit there and listen, and that's why it feels good. Because they listen, listen to you as another equal human being."

"But it also feels good to tell a friend because they are your friend, and it strengthens your bond. They listen because they care, because they want to, because they will be there for you, because they accept you. That's what we all want, acceptance from another, even after your story is told. That acceptance grows into love...everyone wants to be loved. Everyone wants to be trusted. Everyone wants someone by their side...that's why, that's why you can't be afraid and should start telling someone your fears, worries, happiness...even if it's a stranger..." tears were streaming down my face. 

"Even to me...I know I may be younger than you, but I am a good listener, my oppa even told me so...and I want to be your friend..." I started, wiping almost all the tears away by now. 

"If you're scared, excited, sad...come tell me, I'll listen to them." I finished. I peeked at Tae Yang. His eyes were closed and he had a thoughtful look on. I waited only a few seconds before he spoke. 

"I would like that." he said strongly. I pursed my lips, there was so much conviction, truth, and sadness in what he said. I rose and bowed.

"Good. Then hello, I am Mollie Kang Hye In. I would like to be your friend." I gave my hand

Young-bae shii smiled finally, and shook my hand.

"I'm Dong Young-Bae. I am glad to be your friend." We both sat back down, a little awkward from our encounter. 

"You can also start with Gdragon shii as well..." I started. He nodded, simply looked at the ground, and then spoke.

"About your friend, I do know one thing's for sure," he started, I looked at him in the eyes this time. 

"He's very very lucky to have you as a friend..." he said with a smile at the end. My heart flipped, and then I realized what just really happened. My bias just complimented me and we were actually friends!

"If I----" Tae Yang started before he was cut off. Just then the managers entered the tent, bringing in our food. I smiled widely.

"Manager-nim, you're back!" I exclaimed jumping up to recieve my food. He chuckled

"Yah, yah yah, Mollie goon, I should at least get some of this too...I had to wait all the way in the long line for you..."

"Ayyy, you ate yours on the way here too didn't you?" He sheepishly nodded. 

"No way, if you want a wife by next year, you will not eat any of this." I declared and sat back down about to open my lunch. Tae Yang and his manager laughed. 

"Do you see this? I went as far as entrusting my marriage status with this 21 year old." he joked as he sat on the chair opposite of me, opening a bag of rice crackers. 

"In that case, I should be in charge of your marriage." I looked up at him

"Huh?" I said with my mouth nearly full of kimchee. He gave me a gross look

"By the way you eat alone, no one will want to be with you." he joked again. I nearly threw my chopstick at him, but realized who was watching and just smiled. Manager-nim laughed. 

"Yes, I will be the one to choose...though no offense Tae Yang shii, I wouldn't allow you even though you two are already married." Tae Yang's head popped up from eating.

"Eh? Why?" I asked. Manager-nim smiled

"From what I hear from Tae Yang's manager, he has a good look and drive, but his night life is too..."

Tae Yang's mouth smiled and he glared at his manager, who chuckled as did manager-nim. '

"Plus, Hyunsik-goon would have a cow...heck I don't even think he'll let you out. haha" I smiled. Tae Yang quickly glanced at me.

"Not uh! Oppa wants me to be happy so he'll let me do anything I want..." I said before chewing. 

"Hyunsik-goon nearly had a cow knowing you were in this...your brother, man..." he started before giggling.

Suddenly my phone started ringing (Ringtone: It Would Be Good by Sung Si Kyung)

"Ah!" I shouted as I tried toquickly pick up my phone. 

"Hello, oppa?" I asked. 

"Annyeonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg" he replied back, I giggled. 

"Speaking of the brother..." manager-nim said before finishing his last cracker. 

"Where are you?" Hyunsik asked.

"Ah, I'm at the filming site..." 

"Did you eat yet?" he asked

"No, actually, I'm eating right now, manager-nim just brought in my food." 

"Ah, then I'll call you later, you should go eat-------" 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" i shouted. All the heads turned to me. 

"Hahaa, relax. You only take 5 minutes to eat. I'm on break for 15 minutes, plenty of time for me to call back."

"OPPA! I can talk, don't go." I nearly bellowed again. They looked up. I quickly bowed and excused myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager-nim laughed. Tae Yang's manager excused himself to the restroom.

"Well, that's not the loudest she can go." manager-nim commented. Tae Yang smiled and looked up.

"Was that her real oppa?" he asked. Manager-nim shook his head.

"No, though they seem like it, even closer actually. But no, she has no blood family here in Korea, she's not even Korean, but I guess you knew that."

Tae Yang shook his head. Manager-nim seemed surprised. 

"Ah, yes, she's from America, full asian though. She came here I think when she was...18? Yeah, 18. That's why no one will ever understand how much sacrifice and hardships she had to endure...but her passion pulled through." Tae Yang nodded. Manager-nim sat up straighter.

"That's why everyone at Cube is a little over-protective of her. She is our little baby even if she isn't the youngest. If you see her with our members and think wow, they're so close and overprotective, think again. CEO and the stylist noonas are scary enough, but if you meet her Oppa, geez he's crazily scary. Same with his group, but not as much. Everyone she meets, they become so protective and will do anything to see her smile." He said the last sentence sternly.

"Which is why I am warning you Tae Yang shii, although you are an idol and I don't think you would, if you mess with our Molle's feelings as friends or as co-stars on this show, you will regret it. It's bad enough what the concept of the show is, but to also have you be her husband, no offense of course, but she is very naive and young! She absolutly adores you too..." Tae Yang swallowed and nooded. 

"I may be her manager and my success depends on her, but I would throw that all away. She is family and we are her's. Before I am a manager to her, I am her step-in uncle. Which is why I need to look after her...especially since she's going to be my flower girl...haha"

Tae Yang put down his food and looked at manager-nim straight in the eye. 

"At first I thought that she was a real big fan of mine...but I realized all along that I was a fan of hers. Her friendship, I will cherish it."

"Ah, I know you will, you don't have to tell me...it's just her oppa that you need to worry about, heh." manager-nim replied.

"Even if you didn't want to, you'd still be drawn to her...that's her effect. That's why we protect her...she's something special, that girl."

"Ah! I totally forgot about my food!" I shouted as I came back into the tent. Manager-nim and Tae Yang quickly glanced at something on the floor. 

"Huuh? Is something wrong?" I asked. They both shook their heads. 

"What did Hyunsik-goon want?" manager-nim asked

"Ah, he was just calling to check up on us." I said as I sat in my seat.

"Oh, did Hee-jin shii make it?" I shook my head. "Minsoo unnie took her shift instead." He nodded. 

Tae Yang's manager came in, carrying a bag with icecream! He handed one to me.

"Manger-nim told us you loved these. Take it as a congradulations from YG for your debut." I excitedly thank him

"Ah, I love melona bars! Thank you so much." Tae Yang smiled as he took one. 

"You've worked hard Mollie" manager-nim said seriously. I smiled at him. 

"Can't stop now, " I replied as I took a bite. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(TAEYANG POV)

Car ride home.

"FIlming was good today" manager replied.

"Yeah, it was fun." 

"That girl, Mollie shii, she was funny. Especially getting excited about ice cream." 

I gazed out the window.

"Her manager made a bet with me...saying she would get excited over something that small, I disagreed." He shook his head, I chuckled.

 

 

 

 

"She's very kind..." I softly spoke.

"Oh I know, very well-mannered as well. Almost like TOP's ideal girl, hehe." I frowned. No. That one word shouted in my head over and over again. 

"You tired or something Young-Bae ah? What are you thinking about?" Manager asked.

I Smiled.

 

 

"My friend." 

 

 

 

 

 

-I don't even know what to write about, lol. I hope you like it so far, just a building of the characters relationships.