Chapter One: Lauren

The Miracle of Our Life

6 month pregnant, Ji Ah walked into the room and saw Seung Ho painting the baby room. She smiled and walked to him.

“Oppa.” She said. Seung Ho smiled and turned around, placing the paintbrush down. He brought her into his arms and hugged her.

“How do you like it?” Seung Ho asked. Ji Ah smiled.

“I love it.” Ji Ah said. Seung Ho looked around.

“I’m so happy. We’re having a baby together.” Seung Ho said.

“Nado.” Ji Ah said. Seung Ho brought her to the rocking chair and had her sit on his lap. She placed his arms around his neck. He rocked her back and forth.

“So have you thought of a name for the baby?” Seung Ho asked.

“Hmm… Anna? Julia?” Ji Ah said.

“How about a legal Korean name?” Seung Ho asked.

“Well I want our daughter to have an American first name followed by a Korean name being her middle name.” Ji Ah said. “Just like me.”

“Arasso. So who do you have?” He asked giving in to her.

“Um… How about Lauren?” She asked.

“Lauren?” Seung Ho asked. “Joha.”

“Yang Lauren.” Ji Ah said. “It seems good.”

“Yang Lauren Joo Won.” Seung Ho said.

“Joo Wonnie?” Ji Ah said. She smiled. “It has a nice ring to it.”

“So I guess that’s a yes?” Seung Ho asked. Ji Ah smiled. “Mrs. Yang Tiffany Ji Ah.” He snuggled her cheeks.

“Yah~” She said slightly as she laughed. He smiled as he hugged her. He placed a hand on her stomach.

“Lauren Joo Won Yang.” Seung Ho said. “This is your appa. Annyeong.” He smiled as he talked to Lauren. Ji Ah looked at Seung Ho.

That night, Ji Ah got off the phone with her parents. She walked into the room and saw Seung Ho sitting at the laptop. He saw her and closed the laptop. Ji Ah walked to him as he stood up and looked at him.

“Waegeurae?” He asked.

“Eomma and Appa are coming for the baby shower.” Ji Ah said.

“Your parents?” Seung Ho asked.

“Ne.” Ji Ah said.

“Then why are you so sad?” Seung Ho asked.

“I don’t want them to say anything about you.” Ji Ah said. “I know that they have this inferiority thought about you already, especially my step-mother.” Seung Ho held her hand and kissed the back of her hand.

“Everything will be fine. I have you now.” Seung Ho said. “You chose me also and I won’t let you down. Your parents will have to understand that.”

“I guess they have to, don’t they?” She said cheering up a bit.

“Everything will be fine.” Seung Ho assured her again. Ji Ah nodded. “Kaja, let’s get to sleep. You need the rest.” He held Ji Ah to bed. He slept on the other side, holding her hand. He kissed the back of her hand and smiled. “Good night.”

“Good night.” Ji Ah said.

The next morning, Ji Ah walked out of the house as her parent’s car arrived.

Daddy.” She said in English. Her father hugged her and smiled.

Hi sweetie.” Her dad said. They parted and he looked at her. “You’re almost due, aren’t you?

Yes Daddy.” Ji Ah said.

“Ji Ah-yah.” Her mother said.

“Eomma.” She said as she hugged her.

“Have you’ve been well?” Her mother asked.

“Ne.” Ji Ah said.

So Tiffany, where’s that husband of yours?” Her father asked.

Daddy, don’t say that about Seung Ho.” Ji Ah said. “He’s in the kitchen getting things ready for the baby shower.

Alright, let’s go in.” Her father said. They carried their bags inside. Seung Ho came out of the kitchen to greet them.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Welcome Abeonim, Eommonim.” He said bowing.

“Eo.” Her mother said as they went pass him.

“Eomma.” Ji Ah said. “Daddy.

What?” Her father asked. Ji Ah gave him the unbelievable look. Seung Ho saw it and smiled.

“Gwenchana.” Seung Ho said. Ji Ah looked at him with a worried look. Seung Ho sighed. Ji Ah looked at her parent’s uninterested expression towards Seung Ho.

Ji Ah walked in with drinks and placed them down on the table.

Daddy I wish you were much more nicer to Seung Ho.” Ji Ah said. “You too Eomma.”

That man doesn’t deserve any respect from me. I mean first he dares to marry my daughter without my permission, then he doesn’t come out to greet us.” Her father said.

Seung Ho is not like that. He’s a good husband to me.” Ji Ah said. “And the marriage thing was my idea, remember?

“Ji Ah-yah, these type of guys are like this.” Her mother said. “First they trap you then they use you.”

“Eomma.” Ji Ah said. “Seung Ho Oppa loves me and I love him. Why can’t you guys understand that?”

There is nothing to understand sweetie. He’s not worthy of you.” Her father said. “This man doesn’t even have a decent job to support you and the child.

Ji Ah slammed her drink down.

Daddy, if you guys are here to just say bad stuff about Seung Ho, then you two are welcome to leave right now. I won’t tolerate people criticizing my husband in any way. Even if it’s your my parents.” Ji Ah said angrily and got up to leave. Seung Ho saw it and walked in. He held her hand.

“Ji Ah. Don’t say that to your parents.” Seung Ho said.

“Oppa why are you siding with them?” Ji Ah said. Seung Ho just smiled.

“Because I don’t want you to lose your parents also.” Seung Ho said. “After all they are still your family.” He turned her around and had her sit down next to him. “Did you guys have a nice trip coming here?”

“It was…ok.” Her mother said. Her parents looked away. Ji Ah held onto Seung Ho’s hand tightly. Seung Ho patted her hand to reassure her that he was alright.

Soon the baby shower was over and they were sending people home.

“Bye. Thanks for coming.” Seung Ho and Ji Ah said smiling as the guests left. They all congratulated her for it and smiled. After everyone left, Seung Ho got Ji Ah to rest up. Suddenly her mother came knocking on the door.

“Eomma.” Ji Ah said.

“I want to talk to Yang Seo-bang.” Her mother said. Seung Ho and Ji Ah looked at each other. “Alone if you don’t mind.”

Seung Ho followed her out. They went into the bedroom.

“Yang Seo-bang.” Her mother said. “I have a favor to ask of you.”

“A favor?” he asked.

“We’d like to take Ji Ah back with us to America.” Her father said.

“Take Ji Ah to America?” Seung Ho asked.

“Just Tiffany.” Her father said. “I’m afraid of her having the baby in Korea and in this kind of state.”

“But Ji Ah’s happy here.” Seung Ho said.

“What if something happens? I found out that the hospital is far from here. If she gives birth here, who will be able to help her?” her mother asked. “Ji Ah needs her family.”

“I am her family.” Seung Ho said.

“We know that. But we want to take her back to America to give birth to the child there. She’ll be much at peace. You don’t want anything to happen to Ji Ah when she gives birth right?” Her mother said. Seung Ho looked at them. They just looked at him.

Seung Ho walked back to their room. Ji Ah saw him and walked to him.

“What happened?” Ji Ah asked.

“Let’s talk about something.” Seung Ho said. He brought her to the bed and sat down with her. He held her hand. “Ji Ah…”

“Did something happen?” Ji Ah asked.

“Your parents…” Seung Ho said. “…wants to take you back to America to give birth.” 

“Mwoh? America?” Ji Ah asked. “Are they crazy?”

“No. They think it’s better for you there.” Seung Ho said.

“I’m happy here. I’m happy here with you.” Ji Ah said.

“I know that. But what if something happens to you and the baby?” Seung Ho asked. “The hospital is very far from the house too.”

“I don’t care.” Ji Ah said.

“There’ll be no one who can take care of you when I’m at work.” Seung Ho said.

“But…” Ji Ah said. “…I want you to be there when the baby comes.”

“I want to be there too.” Seung Ho said. “I really do. But you and the baby’s safety comes first.”

“No, I’m not going.” Ji Ah said. “Never. I’m staying here with you.”

“If you love me, you would go.” Seung Ho said. “You would respect my decision also. And you have to go. You won’t be gone long, just until the baby is born and you get your strength back up. We can call and write letters.” Ji Ah looked at him and then placed a hand on his cheek. “I also don’t want you to go. But I have to.” He held her hand on his cheek and kissed it.

The next morning Ji Ah and her parents walked out with Seung Ho carrying her luggage. He placed it in the car. Her parents got into the car. Ji Ah turned to Seung Ho. They hugged and he kissed her head.

“Give me a healthy wife and baby back.” He said. She smiled.

“I will. I’ll miss you.” She said.

“Me too.” He said. They parted and she got into the car. Seung Ho watched as the car drove off. Her parents looked at her, as she looked back at Seung Ho. He waved goodbye. She watched him until he was out of sight.

1 week passed and Seung Ho received a letter from Ji Ah.

“Oppa, have you’ve been well?” she asked in her letter. “Oppa life in America is so different without you. I want to know what you’re doing and what you’re eating. Have you’ve been eating well? I can’t wait until I get to see you again. I missed you so much. There is so much I have to tell you.”

Seung Ho started writing his letter.

“Ji Ah, how are you and the baby?” he asked. “I hope you guys are healthy and ready. I want to be there when you give birth too. I wish you were right here with me right now. Without you in our home, it’s hopeless. I wish you the best in America. Also the job is going fine. I wish you were here to see how they decorated the baby room again.”

They wrote letters back and forth for about 3 weeks, but suddenly the letters stopped coming and going.

Ma’am here is the letter again.” The maid said. Ji Ah’s mother saw it and took it.

Remember if there are anymore letters, bring them directly to me. Don’t let Ji Ah see them. Also remember to bring the letters she requests to be mailed to me also.” Her mother said. The maid nodded. Her mother looked at the room. Ji Ah sat in her room as the rain poured down.

“Oppa, why haven’t you written any letters to me?” Ji Ah asked. “Did something happen?” She grabbed a piece of paper and pen. She started writing, asking him why he hasn’t written or anything.

Seung Ho came home from work late that night and looked into the mailbox that was empty. He sighed and went back inside his house. He sat down at the rocking chair in the baby room. He looked around.

“How are you doing?” Seung Ho asked himself. “Why hasn’t there been any news of you?”

He directly went to the room and grabbed a pen and paper. He started writing.

Many days and weeks passed…

“Eomma. Evelyn. Daddy.” Ji Ah called.

Yes Ma’am.” Evelyn said.

Was there any mail for me?” Ji Ah asked. Evelyn shook her head.

I’m afraid there wasn’t Ma’am.” Evelyn said. Ji Ah nodded.

Thank you.” Ji Ah said. She went back to her room. She sat down on her bed as tears rolled down her face. “What happened to you?”

Seung Ho came out in the morning and checked the mail, but didn’t see any. Suddenly a girl showed up in front of his house with her mother.

“Annyeonghaseyo, we’re the new neighbors in this town.” Soyeon said. Seung Ho smiled.

“Hello.” He said. So Yeon introduced her mother to him.

“If you don’t mind, could you give my daughter a tour of the city? She has to go to school soon and I don’t want her to have a hard time in the city by herself.” So Yeon’s mother said. Seung Ho just smiled.

About another month passed as Ji Ah walked down the stairs and saw her parents looking at some pictures.

This bastard…” Her father said.

“Eomma.” She said. Her mother turned around.

“Eo, Ji Ah-yah.” Her mother said.

“What’s wrong?” Ji Ah asked. Her mother gave her some pictures.

“This arrived in the mail yesterday.” Her mother said. “I thought he said he loved you.” Ji Ah looked at the pictures of Seungho and another girl together laughing and playing around.

“This isn’t Oppa.” She said.

Open your eyes. That clearly is him in the pictures.” Her father said.

Daddy, he isn’t like that. Seung Ho would never cheat on me.” Ji Ah said.

“Honey, accept reality.” Her mother said. “And this also came in this morning.” She handed Ji Ah the divorce papers. Ji Ah looked at it and was surprised.

“Annyah.” She said.

First he plays around with you, now he wants a divorce. Does he think that marriage is a game? And how dare he play with my little princess’s heart?” Her father said angrily. Tears ran down her face as she saw the paper with his signature on it.

“He wouldn’t do this.” Ji Ah said. “I have to call him myself.” She reached for the phone. Her mother grabbed her hands.

“Ji Ah-yah, he didn’t even contact you for about 3 months now.” She said. Tears kept falling.

“But he wouldn’t do something like this.” Ji Ah said.

“But he did.” Her mother said. Ji Ah got up to walk upstairs but then she stopped at the first step.

“Ah~” She said as her stomach started hurting. “Ah~”

Tiffany, what’s wrong?” Her father asked running to her.

“Ah~ Apa.” She said as she knelt down in pain. They help her up and called 911.

Seung Ho got home late again that night and went to check the mail. Unexpectedly there was a letter from Ji Ah. He smiled as he ran inside. He walked into the baby room and opened the letter. But it wasn’t a letter, but a divorce paper. He was shocked at the sight of it and Ji Ah’s signature. He ran to grab his phone and called her cellphone, but there was no answer. He called the house phone, but no one answered. He paced back and forth. He kept trying to call the whole night but there was no answer. He sat down in pain as he cried thinking about Ji Ah leaving him.

Ji Ah was rushed to the labor room about to give birth. She kept crying.

“Ah~” She said in pain. Tears ran down her face. Her father held her hand.

Everything is going to be okay. I promise you.” He said as he patted her hand. Ji Ah just kept crying in pain.

It took Ji Ah a while to give birth, but she lost consciousness when the baby was born.

Ji Ah slowly opened her eyes and saw that she was in a room. She looked around and realized she was at the hospital.

“Do you want to break the news to her?” Her mother asked. Her father looked at her mother. “She’ll find out one day.”

“How can the baby be a stillborn? They said it was a healthy baby.” Her father said.

“That’s just what the doctor said.” Her mother said. “How can you go against reality?” Her father sighed.

 Her father walked in and saw her.

Are you okay?” He asked.

What happened to me?” Ji Ah asked.

You were in labor for a while and then you lost consciousness.” He said as he caressed her head. “I’m glad you’re okay.

My baby. Where’s my daughter?” Ji Ah asked. Her father sighed. “Daddy? My daughter, I want to see her.” Ji Ah tried to get up. Her father held her down.

Listen to me. Tiffany please.” Her father said.

Daddy, I want to see my baby.” Ji Ah said.

Your baby…” he struggled to say. “was a stillborn.

What?” Ji Ah asked. “No that can’t be. They told me it was a healthy baby.

I know sweetie. I heard them. But I am as surprised as you are about everything.” He said. Tears ran down her face. He hugged her and kissed her forehead.

What do I do now? First he wants to divorce me, now my baby’s dead. What did I do that was so wrong?” Ji Ah said crying.

I’m sorry sweetie. I really am. I’m so sorry.” He said trying to calm her down. Her mother stood outside witnessing the whole scene. She walked over to the nursery for babies and looked at one baby.

“I can’t have you stand in my way.” She said to the baby. “If she didn’t marry that man, everything would’ve been perfect.” The baby wiggled and slightly moved around.

1 month later…

Seung Ho got up early that morning and heard a car drive off. He opened the door ready to go outside when he saw a basket. He opened it and it revealed a baby girl. There was note next to her.

“Here is the baby. I changed my mind about her. You can keep her. I don’t want to have anything to do with her. Ji Ah.” He read. He looked at the baby in surprised.

Back in America…

Are you sure you want to go study in Britain?” Her father asked. “Why not just here?

“Let her go. She needs to go to keep her mind off of things for a while.” Her mother said. Ji Ah smiled.

Daddy, I’ll be fine. I’ll be back soon.” She said as she hugged them goodbye. They parted and she turned to go.