Chapter 1

The Last Dance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is Minho.”

Taemin blinked as a boy slightly older than him (and taller) smiled at him politely.

“You have big eyes.”

“I know.”

They both stared at each other, studying each other’s features. The choreographer chuckled as he proceeded.

“You guys will be dancing together for an item. It’s rather popular in America – a couple dance with both guys.”

“Eh… Did you say couple dance…?”

“Yep. Are you up to it?”

Minho glanced at Taemin and nodded silently. Taemin hesitated for a moment before murmuring, “… I guess it can be pretty interesting… and challenging…”

“That’s great. Let’s not waste time and get started.”

“Let’s do our best, Taemin-ssi.” Minho grinned at him. For some reason, Taemin’s heart fluttered slightly.

“Please guide me along!” Taemin returned the smile with an equal amount of sincerity.

 

Taemin’s hand traced the frame of a picture taken with Minho two years ago. They were both wearing white shirts with a black vest – the picture was captured right after their first performance together.

 

One would be surprised at how fitting Taemin and Minho were. Their chemistry was really strong; Minho complimented Taemin’s moves and vice versa. It was their first time dancing together but it seemed as if they had danced together since forever.

 

“Hyung.” Taemin whispered as he tightened his grip on the photo frame. “What should I do?”

 

 

-*-

 

 

Taemin tried hard to concentrate on the beat he had to follow, but his mind wasn’t in the studio at all. He tried not to think about the dream he witnessed the night before, but it was impossible.

Key shot him a curious, almost concerned look from the other side of the room as they did a twirl. Hyoyeon looked like she was ready to pull all Taemin’s hair out and rip his scalp if he were to continue dancing halfheartedly.

“Stop.”

Taemin straightened himself as the fuming Hyoyeon gave a five minutes break. The instructor motioned him to come, so he did, mentally gulping and preparing himself for a round of scolding.

“Are you feeling unwell today? Why are you dancing so…so…” Hyoyeon tried to come up with a word. Taemin knew well that she was trying not to say ‘horribly’, because, as fierce as she was, Hyoyeon was very kind-hearted.

So, before she could continue trying to scold him, Taemin gave the best puppy look he could muster and completed it with a sorry smile. “I’m so sorry, noona, I was really feeling under the weather today… I’ll do my best to not drag everyone down.”

The frown in Hyoyeon’s face immediately disappears as she chuckled, ruffling the maknae’s hair. “Aigo kyeopta. Make sure you get some good rest later, arasso? Go and drink some water now.”

Taemin thanked her before heading out of the studio, walking along the corridor towards the water cooler. Coincidentally, Minho was refilling his water bottle.

 

“Hey.” Minho greeted him friendly.

Under normal circumstances, Taemin would beam at him, jump at him even as he squealed ‘Minho hyung~~~~’. But his mind couldn’t work properly and his mood darkened even more as Minho shot him a charming smile.

“Hey hyung.” He replied. Minho stepped aside to let Taemin drink some water, but not without giving him a confused look.

“Are you feeling okay?” Minho asked, puzzled. Taemin hummed to show that he was fine, and then, without saying anything else, he left.

Minho stared at Taemin’s retreating back. He could tell something was wrong, but didn’t dare to push it.

 

 

-*-

 

 

The rest of the day passed without any significant event. Taemin was not focused at all but Hyoyeon let him off, deeming that he needs to “get some rest, I’m sure you’ll dance better tomorrow”, so Taemin simply thanked her again before he grabbed his backpack and left.

“Hey, wait up!”

Key caught up with him at the lobby (their dance school was located on the fifth floor of the building) and Taemin slowed down his pace. Key was wearing a light pink baggy shirt with red track pants.

“Shall we grab something to eat, Tae?” Key grinned and slung an arm around Taemin’s shoulder. Taemin had wanted to refuse but he had soft spot for the older man (just like how Key can never resists Taemin as well). They ended up walking towards a small café nearby.

 

“Minho was asking if he did anything that upset you.” Key said absentmindedly.

“You talk to Minho?” Taemin asked, surprised. Key doesn’t really play a sociable role in the dance class – he hardly talked to anyone except Taemin and their instructor, Hyoyeon. The last time Taemin checked, Key didn’t really like Minho because he is ‘cold, arrogant, weird, tall, and has huge eyes’.

“No. He talked to me.” Key corrected, waving at one of the waiters so he could take their orders. “He said you’ve been giving him cold shoulder the whole day.”

“Uh. Ok.” Taemin shrugged it off, “I’ll have the set A please.”

“I’ll have the same.” Key told the waiter and then turned his attention back to Taemin. “So what did he do to you?”

“Nothing.” Taemin sighed. “I wasn’t even mad at him.”

“Really? That’s great to know.”

Taemin almost jumped in his seat at the bass voice booming on his left ear. Minho chuckled at him before taking the seat next to Taemin. He wasn’t alone; another man shorter than him was there, and he was beaming at Taemin’s housemate.

“Yo, Key-va.”

“Hey, Jjongsaurus.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter