MV Making

When You Were Mine

 

“We just arrived on time.” Hwejin said to the manager as they went out of the van after 2 hours of road travel.

The placed they went to is the seaside beach on a province just near Seoul. It’s already 5 and she immediately instructed the crew to set up the cameras facing the sea.

“Is SHINee ready?” She asked the coordi noonas nodded. “Then can I start instructing what you guys should do? We must finish everything before the sun sets.” She said.

SHINee immediately stood up and followed her. They were being extra nice because of the story they heard from the manager just a while ago while she was asleep.

“Because it’s still bright, I guess we can take a part where you walk from there towards the camera. The wind goes to this direction so you oppose it to have a windy effect on your hair.” She said and looked at each of their hairstyles. “I’m sorry but can we remove the style and record with your natural hair? If it’s styled like this then it will be in so much mess when the wind blows on against you.” She said.

They nodded though they are not really used on recording with the natural hair. They experience an almost no makeup face during Sherlock teaser photos, but never in their life did they actually record with such natural hairstyle, not to mention that their outfits were pretty much of just being natural, too.

“You might be wondering why we’re recording with the simplest outfit possible. You see, this place isn’t suitable to have you wear heavy makeups and grand hairstyles. This place is not suitable for leather jackets, heavy boots, and fancy vest as well. We go according to the location. I allowed you to go SHINee-like during solo shots, but here I want to portray a different feel for you. It’s something like… SHINee can be as dazzling as ever even if they are only wearing jeans and white shirt with no heavy hairstyles.” She smiled. “So I hope you understand now. Tomorrow, during sunrise, we are also going to film one last choreography part on SM’s rooftop. There I’ll advice you to be on your style again.” When she felt that she had explained enough, Hwejin left SHINee standing there while she ran to the other side instructing the cameraman of what he’s going to do.

“Please walk in a slow pace, SHINee!” She shouted, “In 3… 2… 1… action!!” SHINee started to walk and the camera rolled. “Do a shot covering all the members… pan the camera to taemin… from long shot, zoom in to his face… now to Jonghyun… long shot… and then zoom to his face… you can proceed now to Onew… long shot… then zoom in…”

Zoom in… zoom in… zoom in…

She was alarmed when she felt her heart doing abnormal beats. It exactly captured Onew looking away, and as the camera focuses on him, he looks at it with eyes communicating a lot. Their making an MV about SHINee telling a girl they like that they are capable enough of loving them with all their heart, so they sing a song telling them to go and trust them for a good relationship that will last forever.

“Oh God…” She whispered to herself while the camera was still zoomed in on his face and he smiled, not like a squishy kid but as a man who’s like telling him, “I can make you happy.”

“Should I pan the camera to Key now?” The cameraman please.

“Yes, please… please do the same.” She had to look away for a bit to regain her sanity. She just lost half of it as she stared at Onew few seconds ago.

“After Minho, please do a long shot again… then zoom to the center’s face as you fade the camera out.”

Center’s face… Center’s face… Center’s face…

The camera zoomed again to Onew’s face and though the person wasn’t aware that he’s being zoomed in, he still flashed a smile while making a heavy eye contact to the camera.

“Gosh, that will make the fangirls scream.” She remarked out of nowhere.

“Director-nim just acquired a crush on Onew ssi because of his smile.” The cameraman, who doesn’t know anything at all, teased. “That guy over there sure flails every girl just by smiling.” He added. “Onew really has the charm. Even Director Jin is falling.”

“That’s funny.” She just said as she thought of it as just a joke. “Cut!!” She was too engrossed to Onew’s face from a while ago that she forgot to say cut so SHINee was still walking from a far. “Next set please!” She clapped twice and the staff immediately arranged the location for the next filming.

“Good enough.” She said as she approached SHINee. “Now we’re going to film your dance during sunset. We only have 2-3 chances to do the dance for it will be night soon so please do your best.” She said.

One take will be the front view… the 2nd take will capture them dancing with their backs facing the camera. The 3rd take will be for the aerial view. They have no choice but to do well and make sure they won’t acquire any errors in the choreography.

She asked SHINee to position almost on the part that can be reached by the water. They dances as the water from the sea flows behind them. Every step they take creates a motion on the water they were stepping in.

The choreography of SHINee this time isn’t as powerful as Lucifer and Sherlock. The meaning and the tune of the song sounded like a remake and matured version of their debut song Replay. The dance choreography is a calm and relaxing one which noticeably fits the calming wave of sea and the sunset right behind them.

And because SHINee were all professionals, they finished the 3 takes in one go and they were very clean.

“Can we see the shots a while ago, director?” Key asked. Hwejin nodded and showed them the video of their choreography first.

Their dancing on a silhouette because the camera is against the setting sun. The calmness of the sea added to the relaxing mood the choreography was giving, plus their hairs that swayed along with their bodies with the help of the wind. Everything fits to one another. It was as if everything was planned for a long time, though Hwejin actually had to revise half of her plan the night before the recording started.


//My frustration is to be a director someday. LOL. When I finished studying and already has a stable job I'm thinking of going on an international school for film and production. BUT THAT IS STILL A DREAM. haha.