IV.

Arirang

 

Bom and Stephen did nothing but frolic around the entire time. It may sound very boring but to the two whose friendship was just starting to blossom, it was one of the best nights of their lives.

            “When did you start to sing?” asked Stephen.

            “I’ve been singing since I was a kid.” Bom explained. “My mother always told me that I was a natural born singer but as far as I remember, she would often hone my skills by letting me sing the Arirang song everyday.”

            “The Arirang song? That’s the song we use in the army.”

            “It is?”

            “Yes. American troops march to that song. I don’t know it very well but I’m sure you do.”

            “I know it very well. Quite well if you ask me.”

            “I see. Can you sing it for me?”

            “Not here. I’m still quite shy to sing in public.”

            “That’s ridiculous!” Stephen laughed. “You’ve been singing all your life and you’re too shy to sing in public? What irony!!!”

            “As funny as it may seem, I don’t sing when you ask me to. I only do so because I need it.”

            “What else do you do besides singing?”

            “That’s all I do.”

            “Really? Don’t you ever get bored?”

            “I play the piano as well. I come from a musical family. Quite a harsh background, too.”

            “Why?” Stephen read the sadness marked on Bom’s face. He hated to admit it but even at this seemingly gloomy moment for her, he still saw the beauty that shined within.

            “Well, for starters I come from a family of musicians and that family of mine encouraged me to become a musician, too. Since my parents were poor and we had no money, aside from the fact that music wasn’t that widely appreciated back when I was a little girl, we had to travel around to get others to hear our music. We called ourselves travelling entertainers.”

            “Wow. Travelling entertainers! I wish I had known you back then so I could hear your music.”

            “My parents made me sing and dance.” Bom narrated. “They exploited my voice while they played the instruments. We made a fortune doing so.”

            “Really? Well that’s awesome.”

            “I know. But one night, abba got sick.”

            “Abba?” Stephen cut her and questioned.

            “Abba means father.”

            “Oh. I see. Well, go on.”

            “Abba got sick. He was very sick that he could not leave his bed. Mother and I tended to him, stayed by his side. We were ready to give up performing for his sake but he told us not to and even encouraged us to continue. To honor him, Mother and I did what he told.”

            “And then?”

            “And then, one night, abba died from his sickness. Eomma and I were very heartbroken...” tears started to well up in Bom’s beautiful eyes and when Stephen noticed this, he was doubtful on whether he wanted her to continue her story or not. He wanted her not to because she was on the verge of crying but he wanted to know more about her.

            I’ll just keep quiet here... he told himself.

            “My mother on the other hand, became very depressed and since stopped performing. She just sat in one corner, the corner next to the bed she shared with father and gazed at the wall. I think she went crazy but whenever I tried to talk to her, she wouldn’t answer. Sometimes at night, she would just wail to herself and bang her head on the wall and it scared me a lot. So I decided to run away from home. I was 12 at the time. I continued performing, though until someone approached me. That woman was Bae Ji Yeon. Bae Ji Yeon or Madame as I would call her, for she introduced herself as Madame, took me under her wing upon seeing my potential.”

            “Is this Madame your manager?”

            “Yes.”

            “The one you talk to in your dressing room?”

            “Yes. She has handled me for so long already. Why, I cannot recall anymore.”

            “Go on.”

            “Madame brought me into a club as she called it. A small organization of young and talented, beautiful young girls who were around my age and a bit older. Madame taught us all how to dance and entertain, how to please so-called ‘customers’. I was a little girl then and it was very unclear to me then.”

            “Customers?” Stephen whispered to himself. He had a hunch of what was coming up.

            “Yes. Customers. At the time I was too young to even know what she was talking about. My parents raised me in a pure way, I had no idea what was then. At that age, it didn’t even cross my mind a word as such would exist. “

            “I knew it.”

            “Madame brought in several customers every night. Old, young. Rich, poor. If they were men who were interested and ‘’ as she would say, she brought them in. The men did things to us. Wicked things. Things I did not understand. Sometimes they’d hurt us especially if they weren’t satisfied with our services.”

            “Let me guess...” Stephen was about to speak when Bom clutched his hand tightly. Together they stopped underneath a tree.

            “I have been doing this all my life. It shames me to say that  I still do it. Just not the way the dancers do.” Bom admitted. Stephen released the singer’s hands in shock.

            “You are a comfort woman?”

            “Yes.” Bom looked down in shame. She felt that Stephen was starting to disdain her for what she was.

            “I know you don’t like me right now anymore.” Bom cried. “It’s okay.  I understand.”

            “No.” Stephen took her hands in his, felt her thin fingers intertwined with his big knuckles. The feeling of warmth and protection was what he wanted to give this vulnerable girl.

            “That’s not true. Don’t you ever say that. I think you’re a wonderful person. No matter what you did or who you were or are right now. You are a good person and for that, I do not hate you and I have the utmost respect for you like I have for anyone else with a good soul.” Stephen promised her. “And I promise you that no matter what you become or choose to become, I will be here for you, always by your side.” Bom had never felt so protected and loved before, especially by a man. But before she decided to let her heart fall for him, she had to know something.

            “I don’t know if I should ask you this...” she said, never letting go of his hands.

            “What?”

            “Are you-“

            “I’m not.” Bom’s eyes widened. Her question wasn’t even finished but he already had an answer for it.

            “Do you know what  I was going to ask?”

            “Yes. “ Bom let go of his hands and together they walked around the park circle once more.

            “I can read you. You were about to ask if I’m married or have a girlfriend back in America. No I’m not and I do not have a girlfriend. I do not want to have one...” Stephen realized that he was talking to Bom, the girl he gave a flower to. “Well not instantly, at least.” Bom sensed the awkwardness.

            “I do not want to have a boyfriend, too. I don’t want to get married. Ever.” she seemed more serious and sincere in saying so, making Stephen feel dismayed.

            “Why is that so?”

            “Because I feel that no man will accept me for who I am.” Stephen smirked outside but was feeling hurt inside.

            “Well, that’s not true.” he said. I’m here.

            “I don’t know. I have lost all interest in men. Right now, I just want to be happy.”

            “I have my eye on a special young woman.” Bom looked up at him. She wanted to ask who it was but she was afraid that he’d call her nosy.

            “Do you want to know who she is?” asked Stephen. Bom’s heart started to race with anxiety.

            “I don’t know. Do I have to?”

            “If you want to, you can.” smiled Stephen.

            “I’d rather not.” Bom declined politely. But deep down inside of her, she wanted desperately to know and was silently hoping that it would be her.

            “Okay.” Stephen delightfully teased.

            “Stephen.” Bom started. “I need to go home now. Madame would be very angry.”

            “Who? Madame?” Stephen asked with a silly grin on his face.

            “Yes.” Bom replied, trying to pull her hands away from his grasp but Stephen refused to let go.

            “I don’t think so.”

            “Stephen, don’t you have to go back to the army camp?”

            “I can go back whenever I want. I’m good at sneaking out.”

            “I don’t want to do that!” Bom said worriedly.

            “You don’t?” Stephen grinned. Bom looked frustrated but Stephen, who was quite deep and intellectual, read right through her. He knew she wanted to stay behind and hang out.

            “Well...” Bom thought that Madame would be asleep already and with all the other girls living in the brothel with her, she wouldn’t be noticed, especially since she was one of the least remarkable ones.

            “Come on. I want to spend more time with you.” Stephen admitted.

            “I really don’t know.” Bom was confused but was on the brink of saying yes.

            “You know you want to~” Stephen teased like a little kid. Sick of Madame’s voice and demands as well as her snooty demeanour, Bom reluctantly said yes.

            “I’m going with you!” she smiled. Stephen smiled in return, happy seeing her beautiful, radiant face that was makeup-free and simple.

            “Perfect!” Stephen said. “We can go around for a stroll. Just you and me. Around Korea.”

            “I’ll just show you around.” this time, it was Bom’s turn to hold his hand. Stephen was taken by surprise as she was learning so quickly from him. The two “friends” merrily ran around the destitute town, not letting the war torn backdrop faze their newfound companionship. It was Bom’s turn to take the lead.

            “You haven’t seen this city yet!” she squealed with joy as she tried to lead him, tugging his muscular frame behind her slightly one. Stephen started to laugh with immense joy. Bom in turn had never felt so alive.

            “I can’t wait!” Stephen said loudly. The two headed to a certain part of Korea that came to life at night. It was bright and beautiful, with blinding lights and a whole lot of music and dancing. It reminded Stephen of Las Vegas, which he only saw on TV or read about in books. He could imagine that Vegas must be like this.

            “This place is really very alive!” Stephen said. Their hands were still locked into each other.

            “I used to work here when I was a young girl. This is where we’d pick customers up.”

            “Here? On the streets?”

            “Yes. They call us good time girls.”

            “Good time girls. Yeah,  we have those too.” Stephen replied, making his voice louder as the music was too loud.

            “What do you want to do?” asked Bom.

            “I don’t know. You brought me here so you should know?”

            “Up for some drinks?” Bom asked.

            “No! You’re still young and I’m gonna fight tomorrow.” Stephen resisted. “You can’t drink!”

            “I drank when I was 12!!!” Bom giggled loudly, drunk with enjoyment and freedom, as well as infatuation. She did not deny it. Though she said that she was not looking for any man, she had something for the brave and big-hearted soldier.

            “I don’t want to get you drunk now.” Stephen looked around the place, awkwardly silent in a loud environment. His eyes caught sight of a dance club.

            “Hey take a look at that!” Stephen pointed at the club behind them. Bom whipped around and saw the place named “Swing Fling”.

            “I know that place! They dance the swing, tango, boogie, everything!!!”

            “That sounds safe.” Stephen said. “And sane.”

            “They play American music!” she squealed excitedly, tugging at his sleeve. Stephen took her hand in his and laughed.

            “What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” he tugged her waiflike frame to the direction of the club where they anticipated swinging 50s music.

[song: “Rock Around the Clock”]

            When the two got inside the dance club, Stephen instantly recognized the song. He remembered seeing his friends crazily dance to it while he watched and waited in the sidelines.

            “Ever danced?”asked Bom.

            “Eh? Nope.” Stephen shook his head. “Was never my thing.”

            “But do you know how to?”

            Stephen was quite unsure on what to say because he did know how to dance.

            “To be honest,” he started bashfully, “Yes. I do know how to.”

            “Well, what are we waiting for?” Bom squealed. “Let’s go!!!” Bom took his hand and led him to a certain part of the dance floor and began to dance the swing.

            “Do you know how to dance this?” asked Bom while moving around in a fast paced motion.

            “Of course I do!” Stephen now too was drunk with enjoyment and began to dance the swing with his partner of the night. The two moved their bodies to the music and Stephen was quite surprised with the way Bom danced for she danced very well.

            “I didn’t know you could dance so well!” Stephen complimented her.

            “I’m an all-around entertainer! I travelled to perform, remember?” she giggled loudly as she continued to dance. Even in a simple dress with wavy hair let down, she looked so beautiful.

            “I wish we never had to stop dancing.” Stephen said.

            “I know! Dancing is addictive!” Bom continued to move.

            After dancing their hearts out at Swing Fling, the two ran out of the club and back out on the streets. Korea had never been this lively for the two of them.

            “I never knew this place could be so alive.” Stephen said. “I thought it was a boring place but you proved me wrong!”

            “I told you it can be fun! Just come with me and I’ll show you all the fun places in here!”

            “Where do we go next?” asked Stephen.

            “You’re still not tired? Don’t you-“

            “I can always, always sneak out and back in.”

            “We can go stargazing.” Bom suggested something that was quite intimate. Stephen couldn’t say no for he was aching to spend more time with her.

            “That would be awesome. I love looking at stars.” Stephen said. “But where?”

            “The park.”

            “We go back?”

            “I know another one.” Bom smiled. She took his hand and together they walked to the park, with Stephen leaving his trust in Bom, who knew the place way better than he did.

[AT THE PARK]

            “Why Arirang?” asked the soldier. He and Bom were sitting on the grass, looking at the night sky with imploring eyes.

            “Arirang is Korea’s national flower. So we have a song for it.” she said.

            “I wish I could hear you sing it, but since you’re not keen on singing for others, I’ll just leave that to-

            Arirang arirang arariyo

            Arirang gogero neomoganda

            Out of nowhere, Bom started to sing Korea’s most known folk song.

            Nareul beorigo gasineun nimeun

            Sibrido motgasseo balbyeongnanda

            In the quiet of the night at the park, Stephen could clearly hear how beautiful Bom’s voice was. It was even better without the microphone or the fancy costumes.

            Arirang arirang arariyo

            Arirang gogero neomoganda

            Jeongjeon haneuren jal byeoldomanko

            Urinye gaseumen kkumdo manda

            “You sing beautifully.” he said.

            “I sing everyday. I’ve had my voice honed since I was a kid.”

            “Will you finish the song?”

            “I’d rather not.”  Bom smiled. Stephen smiled at her and chuckled.

            “Tell me about America. I always wanted to go there...” This was the start of a beautiful night for the two of them.