Part 2/2

Through Darkness

 

It was a Saturday afternoon—if JR’s memory was correct—and both were waiting for JR’s parents to return home from work. They were lying on JR’s bed, side-by-side, facing each other. JR could imagine Ren’s face near his, his long blond hair splayed out on the pillow. JR missed being able to see Ren’s pretty face, but he guessed that he should be grateful he still had his sense of touch.

JR’s fingers glided over Ren’s face, feeling the soft expanse of his ice-cold skin. The pads of his fingers felt and memorized each contour and sharp angle of Ren’s face. JR truly relished the peaceful moment, when it’s just the two of them and the world suddenly didn’t matter anymore.

JR felt Ren shift a little, and his hand suddenly grasped JR’s, Ren detached JR’s hand from his face and intertwined their fingers together. “Why do you like doing this so much?” JR heard him mumble, absently clenching and unclenching JR’s hand.

There were many reasons and excuses JR could think of to answer Ren’s question. But he felt they were all inadequate at the moment. JR knew he would never get another chance like that moment, a chance to say what he truly felt towards the younger male, a chance to spend the rest of their days perhaps as something more. All inhibitions and worries locked away in the back of his mind, JR took the chance.

“Because I love you.”

The both of them went silent, only the soft sounds of breathing accompanying them. JR felt Ren grow still, and anxiety washed over JR’s mind. All the worries he had coming back. JR had the urge to take back what he said, or to at the very least amend his statement, but he held the urge in and waited patiently for Ren’s reaction.

JR felt Ren shift again, and he was caught completely off-guard when he felt a pair of icy lips press softly against his. JR felt is mind draw up into a sudden blank, all thoughts leaving his brain at the sensation of Ren’s lips against his own. But as fast as it started, Ren pulled away and JR felt the younger boy press their foreheads together, noses just barely brushing against each other, as he let out a large sigh.

“I love you too.”

-xOx-

Ren had found an old photo album stashed underneath JR’s bed and had somehow coaxed the older boy to tell the story behind each photo. Of course, Ren had to describe each photograph to JR. The older boy answered the younger’s inquiries to the best of his abilities.

“How about this one?” JR heard Ren say from beside him, Ren’s chin resting snugly on JR’s shoulder, “I think you’re around five in this, and you’re in kindergarten wearing a bumblebee costume?”

“Ah,” JR said, smiling as he recalled fond memories, “I remember that, it was during a recital. I was playing the role of a bee with a few other kids. I think that was taken before the show? Because if I remembered correctly I accidentally tripped and ripped my pants onstage and my parents had to me home because I was bawling my eyes out.”

Ren laughed—a sweet, melodic laughter that JR loved to hear—before JR felt Ren pinch his cheek as he cooed, “You looked so cute back then, what the hell happened to you?”

JR playfully swatted Ren’s hand away before flashing Ren a grin. “I like to think I became more devilishly handsome over the years.”

He heard Ren snort and he felt Ren’s hand smack the back of his head lightly, “In your dreams.”

-xOx-

“Jonghyun.”

JR’s head snapped up from his meal at the sound of his father’s voice. JR and his family were eating dinner together. Ren had conveniently disappeared as JR’s parents came home from a day at work, just like always. It was a little rare for his parents to be home in time for dinner, but JR wasn’t going to complain.

“Son,” JR heard his father speak up again, “We have something important to tell you.”

JR blinked at what he presumed was his parents’ general direction, eyes shielded away by the sunglasses he wore. He didn’t like wearing them, but he didn’t really want to make his parents uncomfortable with his unseeing eyes. “Sure, what is it?”

“Jonghyun,” his mother’s voice piped up, “We’re moving to a different city.”

JR stared, expression blank, before slowly nodding, “Okay, when will we move?” His parents paused a while, probably slightly surprised that he took the news so well, JR thought.

“In a few weeks,” his father said, “Your mother got a job offer in the city that allowed her to work at home. So we decided to move.”

“So that I can take care of you properly,” his mother added, “You’ll still have plenty of time to say goodbye to your friends. And you’re really going to love the place. It also has the facilities to cater to your needs.”

JR nodded once again, taking in the information. He suddenly placed his chopsticks on the dining table and stood up. “Well then I guess I should start packing,” JR smiled, “Please excuse me, and thank you for the meal, mom.”

As JR was about to leave the room he heard his mother speak up once again, “Oh, and could you introduce me to the friend you said was taking care of you some time? I want to properly thank him for all he’s done.”

JR stopped in his tracks, and then he turned around and flashed a small smile, “I’m sorry mom, but I don’t think you can see him.” And with that, he left.

-xOx-

JR didn’t know what compelled him to play jigsaw puzzles, but there he was, trying to piece together a jigsaw puzzle with the help of Ren. He was feeling each small puzzle piece and arranging them with great difficulty, Ren helping him and constantly correcting each wrongly placed piece and nagging JR for placing it wrongly.

And finally, after what seemed like hours of excruciating work, the puzzle had been completed. JR let out a satisfied sigh, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. He felt Ren scoot closer towards him and slink an arm around his waist. JR smiled at the sign of affection as Ren rested his head on JR’s shoulder.

“What’s the picture?” JR asked.

“It’s,” Ren paused for a brief moment, “It’s a waterfall. The waterfall’s surrounded by trees and there’s even a rainbow over it. It’s really beautiful.”

JR nodded, placing his head on top of Ren’s as his arms wrapped around the younger boy’s waist. He nuzzled into Ren’s hair, breathing in Ren’s scent as he murmured, “I bet not as beautiful as you.”

-xOx-

It was when JR was busily packing when the doorbell rang. Knowing that there was no one else but him to get it, he walked to the door as fast as he could, not before making sure that his sunglasses were in place. He fumbled with the lock for a bit, and when he finally got the door open, he was attacked with a bone-crushing bear hug before he could even say a simple ‘hello’.

“JR!” The all-too-familiar voice rang in his ear, and JR couldn’t stop himself from grinning widely.

“Baekho!” JR exclaimed, hugging the taller boy back with much fervor, “I missed you! How have you been?”

“I could ask you the same question,” Baekho said as he pulled away, placing his hands on JR’s shoulders. JR could practically feel the grin radiating from his friend’s face, “You look well, nice sunglasses by the way.”

JR sneered, “You can take them if you want. I’m planning to somehow make this pair disappear so my mom will take me shopping for new ones. These are too uncomfortable.”

JR heard Baekho chuckle, “I’m going to have to decline your offer.”

“Too bad, I guess I’ll have to somehow create an elaborate excuse to how these were thrown out the window and into the streets.”

Baekho laughed heartily and gave JR a friendly pat on the back, “I see you haven’t changed.”

“And neither have you,” JR said as he stepped aside to let Baekho in, “Come in! The place is a bit of a mess, but make yourself at home.”

When JR felt Baekho stride past him, he closed the door with an audible click. He heard Baekho’s soft footsteps resonate in the room, and waited awkwardly in his place for Baekho to say something. To at least confirm JR where he was.

“I heard you were moving,” Baekho said, and JR wasted no time in bounding over to him, “So I came to say goodbye. The others can’t really come, so they told me to say goodbye in their stead as well.”

“Ah,” JR nodded in understanding, “So, uh, just how are you guys?”

Baekho laughed again, but this time it was bitter and humorless, “We’re still adjusting, I guess. I’m lucky enough to get away with practically everything in tact. Perhaps I might have to be careful when I practice komdo nowadays, but it’s not exactly the raw end of the deal compared to,” Baekho paused, “well you know.”

JR nodded absently, his attention starting to drift elsewhere. Baekho brought back his attention when he asked another question. “So, who takes care of you when your parents aren’t home?”

JR’s face lit up slightly, his lips curled up in a grin. “Ren,” he answered simply.

“Excuse me?” He heard Baekho ask, “I didn’t quite catch that.”

“Ren,” JR repeated.

“Ren?” Baekho echoed. His voice laced with disbelief and shock.

“Ren,” JR said once again.

“Ren…” Baekho trailed off, “Are you sure?”

JR nodded. “Ren,” he repeated insistently.

They were silent after that, and JR could have sworn the temperature in the room dropped to sub-zero degrees. JR didn’t flinch when he suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder, nor did he flinch when Baekho leaned in so close that he could practically feel the other’s breath fanning against his face.

“Jonghyun,” Baekho said hesitantly, “I—I have something important to tell you.”

Baekho leaned in closer to whisper something into JR’s ear. JR remained silent even as the taller male pulled away. It wasn’t until Baekho’s hand left JR’s shoulder did he look up at Baekho and flashes the slightly younger male a bitter smile.

“I know.”

-xOx-

The night before JR was supposed to move, Ren had snuck into his room and crawled underneath the covers next to JR. JR happily turned to face Ren as he hugged Ren, nuzzling his head into the younger boy’s chest. Ren chuckled and weaved his fingers through JR’s hair, JR practically purring at the comforting action.

“You’re moving tomorrow,” Ren stated.

“Uh-huh,” JR answered lazily.

“Be sure to take care of yourself,” Ren continued.

“Hmm,” JR mumbled, nuzzling deeper into Ren’s chest.

“Be sure to get good grades.”

“Okay.”

“Make lots of friends.”

“Sure.”

“Be good to your mom.”

“Of course.”

“And,” Ren’s voice hitched, “Jonghyun?”

“Yes, Minki?” JR replied, looking up as Ren’s cold hands cupped his face. He felt Ren press their foreheads together, their noses barely touching.

“Promise you’ll come back and visit me?” Ren breathed out, almost shyly.

JR felt his heart flutter against his ribcage as he leaned up to meet Ren’s lips in a chaste kiss. It was short and sweet, but it was enough to convey their emotions to each other. They were both content with what they had. And as JR pulled away, he gave Ren as soft smile.

“I promise.”

-xOx-

It was the day JR finally had to move. They were sitting together on JR’s bed, their backs against the wall. JR had his head resting on top of Ren’s shoulder, arms wrapped tightly around the younger boy in an embrace. Ren in return had one arm wrapped around JR’s shoulder, the palm of his hand resting on top of JR’s hair.

Do you have everything packed?” Ren asked absently.

“Yep,” JR answered simply, more focused on relishing the time he had with Ren.

“You don’t want to go help your parents or something?”

“Nope,” JR said, “I prefer cuddling with you.”

JR could feel the eye roll Ren gave him, but he ignored it in favor of hugging the other boy closer to him, if that was even possible. “What kind of son are you?” Ren scoffed, “Not even going to help your parents.”

JR laughed and pushed Ren down onto the bed, the other boy protesting lightly at the action as he tried to pry JR off of him.

“But I want to spend time with you,” JR said in a singsong voice, firmly pressing down on Ren and showering his face with light pecks.

Ren huffed but stayed still as JR continued to rain kisses on his face. I wasn’t long until Ren started to giggle, and he pressed a finger to JR’s lips, effectively stopping JR’s onslaught of kissed. JR felt Ren wrap his arms around JR’s body and pulled him down, sealing JR in a tight hug.

“I love you,” JR heard Ren whisper, “I love you, Jonghyun.”

JR was momentarily stunned, before he answered, his breath slightly hitching as he did so, “I-I love you too, Minki. I love you. I really, really love you.”

Their moment was ruined however when JR’s mother shouted that it was time for them to go. Ren reluctantly let go of JR, and JR still continued to grip the younger boy as he slowly pulled away.

“Well,” Ren murmured, voice barely audible even to JR’s sharp ears, “I guess, you should go now.”

JR released his grip and stood up from the bed, he smiled when he felt Ren put the sunglasses on him, Ren’s fingers brushing slightly against JR’s face.

“Yeah,” JR breathed out, “Thank you for everything, Minki.”

“It’s been my pleasure, Jonghyun,” Ren said as he led JR by the hand out the bedroom door. They took their time to get to the front door, wanting the moment together to last a little longer. When they finally reached the door, JR let go of Ren’s hand and placed it on the door handle.

“Goodbye,” JR said as he opened the door for the final time.

“Goodbye,” Ren replied airily as JR closed the door.

JR made his way to his parents’ awaiting car, stepping inside and seating himself securely. He heard his father say something as they started to drive off, but JR didn’t get a word out of it. It wasn’t until his mother announced that they were finally out of town did JR let his tears freely fall down his cheeks.

-xOx-

“Promise you’ll come back and visit me?”

“I promise.”

--x--

Baekho leaned in and whispered in JR’s ear.

“Minki’s dead. He died in the accident, Jonghyun.”

JR remained silent even as the taller male pulled away. It wasn’t until Baekho’s hand left JR’s shoulder did he look up at Baekho and flashes the slightly younger male a bitter smile.

“I know.”

-xOx-

It was a hot summer day when JR decided to come back.

His mother led him through the crowd of people to the meeting place, walking stick in hand. When JR presumed they finally arrived, JR’s mother let go of him and told him to have fun and left with a small kiss to JR’s temple.

JR smiled as he heard three familiar voices call out his name as he walked towards them.

“JR!” a voice he easily identified as Baekho’s spoke as JR felt a strong hand pat him on the back, “Good to see you!”

“It’s been far too long,” he heard Minhyun say from beside him, a hand snaking its way around his shoulders, “You never text us anymore.”

“Yeah,” he heard Aron huff from in front of him, a finger poking him on the chest, “You made us worried, mister.”

JR laughed, throwing his arms over both Minhyun’s and Baekho’s shoulders, careful not to accidentally hit one of them with his walking stick, “Sorry guys, I’ve been a little busy.”

“That’s still no excuse!” Minhyun scolded, “We’re your friends and we deserve to know what you’ve been up to! Not contacting any of us for a month is just unacceptable!”

“Sorry, sorry,” JR smiled sheepishly. “So, you guys doing good?” he said in an attempt to change the subject.

“Yep,” Aron chirped, “I managed to get used to going around with this wheelchair,” JR placed a hand in front of him to feel the armrest of Aron’s wheelchair, “But going to the bathroom still . I can do it alone now, but it still ,” Aron ended huffily.

Next to JR, Minhyun snickered, “Serves you right for calling me a pirate.”

“But it’s true!” Aron defended, “You look like one of those stereotypical cartoon pirate that has a fake foot and an eye patch! Except you don’t have the hook in place of a hand. Which is a pity, I personally thought it would have been a nice touch.”

A dull thud soon followed.

“Hey! Watch the wheels!” Aron shouted.

“Hey, play nice you two!” from beside JR, Baekho reprimanded, “Don’t go about fooling around and trying to hurt each other now!”

“Alright then,” Aron said cheekily, “We’ll bother JR instead.”

“Oi,” JR frowned, waving his walking stick threateningly, “I have a stick and I’m not afraid to use it.”

The four friends laughed heartily before they decided it was high time they visited their other friend, the final person to their small group. Minhyun hooked an arm through JR’s, and JR heard Baekho volunteer to push Aron’s wheelchair. They set off together, laughing and joking all the way, the heat of the sun beating down on their brows. It didn’t take long until they were walking on soft grass instead of concrete pavements.

They all immediately fell silent as they walked through the patches of grass, Minhyun still guiding JR by the arm the whole time.

Minhyun suddenly let go of JR’s arm, and urged him to keep walking. JR did so, taking small and careful steps forward, his hands were out in front of him as he tried to feel for anything. JR heard someone step beside him and grab hold of JR’s wrist.

“Here,” JR heard Minhyun whisper, “Let me help you.”

JR let Minhyun guide his hand, until JR felt a cold and hard surface beneath his fingertips. Minhyun’s hand left JR’s wrist as JR grabbed hold of the stone surface firmly. JR heard Minhyun take a step back, the sounds of prayers and the smell of burning incense starting to fill JR’s senses.

JR smiled, and leant down to press his forehead against the tombstone.

“Hey Minki, I came to visit.”


LONG A/N AHEAD!!! FEEL FREE TO SKIP!

Right, now that that's out of the way, let's start with a brief summary of what happened for those who didn't understand. So JR, Baekho, Aron, Minhyun and Ren got into a traffic accident. Ren died while the other four survived, sustaining injuries. JR got blinded, so Ren's spirit decided to stay behind a little longer to help take care of JR. JR knew all along that Ren was dead. And the end.

Rant starts here.

My friend-who-will-remain-anonymous, FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE FAILED YOU!! TT^TT Out of the remaining four senses JR has left, I did not put in taste. Because...erm...make-out scenes are NOT my forte. But other than that, there's also the matter of: "How the hell can Ren touch stuff without going through them?" Well, my answer to that is: "If those ghosts in horror movies can touch you while they gouge your eyes out, then why can't Ren touch stuff to help JR?" Granted I don't see a lot of horror movies, but I'm at least 80% sure they can touch people. So let's leave it at that! OwO

I don't really know what compelled me to write this thing, but I'm putting the blame on a sleepless night with a slight fever and clogged nostrils. I make up the weirdest things when I'm sick and sleep-deprived O.O And I think I sort of strayed from the description a little, because this only describes their growing relationship or something like that. Or was it supposed to be like that? Because now that I'm healthy and NOT drugged up by cold medicine, I can't remember what I was thinking when I was sick. =A= ARGH! This was such a fail....

And another good question: "Why doesn't Ren just follow JR?" ....Because Ren can only haunt the town where he died? If you want to see it that way. The way I see it is that Ren decided he can finally move on to the afterlife now that JR doesn't need Ren to take care of him anymore. So in my point of view, their goodbyes at the front door of JR's house is their final farewells to each other. Although that would be sad. But it's already sad enough that JR only got to confess when Ren's already dead.

Oh and if you're wondering, yes Aron is in a wheelchair (lost use of his legs) and yes Minhyun has a fake foot and an eyepatch over one eye. Although blindness is fixable by surgery *mumble*

Alright, rant ends here, thank you for taking your time to read and please leave a comment! I would like to know what you guys think! If you don't mind, of course.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, to the commenter who guessed already Ren was dead in the beginning, good job! XD