Hurt

The Jock & The Queer

A loud chime sounded from Key’s phone, waking him from his slumber. Seeing as it was only a text message, he decided to ignore it and answer the text later, but a few minutes later, the phone chimed again. With an irritated huff, he grabbed his phone and opened the text, squinting as he did because of the bright light.

From: Minho

Key, are you awake?

Wake up.

Key sighed as his finger sluggishly glided over the keyboard on his touchscreen.

To: Minho

Yah, you woke me up bastard. =.=;

He put his phone back on his nightstand and hoped that Minho wouldn’t text him back, but he figured he was wrong when his phone sounded again.

From: Minho

Good. I need help. Call me?

Key ignored the text and went back to sleep, but didn’t stay that way for long. After about ten minutes with no reply, Minho took the initiative to call Key instead. He knew the blonde would be upset with him, but he was desperate at the time. Key ignored the call a few times, but when he wasn’t getting any sleep, he answered.

“What.” He demanded as he blindly answered the phone.

“Hyung, I’m sorry, but I’m freaking out. It’s already Thursday and I have no idea what this crap means. My test is tomorrow and I know I’m going to fail. Can you please help me?” Key huffed, his heart softening at the desperation in Minho’s voice, but there was no he could help Minho at the moment. He checked his phone and saw that it was three in the morning, meaning his brain wouldn’t function properly at such an early hour, meaning he’d probably cause Minho to fail.

“Look, how about I help you study during lunch in the gym today and after school.”

“But Key, I-”

“Minho, if I don’t get at least six hours of sleep, I will be completely and utterly useless to you come tomorrow. I’ll help you at lunch. Goodnight.” With that being said, he ended the phone call and promptly fell back into an uninterrupted sleep.

Key watched as Minho dribbled the ball down the court and dunked it in a cocky manner. He was quite impressed to say the least. Not only was Minho amazing in soccer, he was also a decent basketball player. Key wondered, as he flipped through his magazine, what other sports could Minho play. Could he play tennis? Football? Baseball maybe? Key smirked as he imagined Minho in a pair of those tight baseball pants that the professional players wore. His would look so great in those he thought as he watched Minho interact with his friends. Donghae caught him staring and glared at him, bringing him back to reality as he ducked his head and casually flipped through the pages of the fashion section.

He sighed. Minho was flawless, unspoiled, perfection and he just happened to waltz into Key’s life with his deep voice, long hair and legs, toned body and kind heart. He was extremely lucky to have met someone who cared enough to stick around. Someone he could cry to. A shoulder he could lean on when life got rough. A rock. But when reality set in, he realized that Minho would never be his rock. His shoulder he could lean on.

That fact alone was a bit disappointing, but what could he do? He’d know from the beginning that Minho was straight and knew he’d never end up with him, and yet, he let his guard down and let Minho in. why? He didn’t know. Did he regret it? No, because he found a friend, a best friend, in Minho. A reason to actually look forward to coming to this hellhole every day. Even though he knew Minho would never be interested in him, he was happy that he could at least count on him.

It was fifteen minutes before the bell rang and the guys headed to the locker room to shower, all except for Minho, who walked over to the bleachers and sat next to Key. Key hadn’t noticed the taller, sweaty male, due to the fact that he was currently reading about one of his favorite pop artists and that he’d put in his ear buds and the volume on his iPod was loud enough to severely damage anyone’s eardrums. Feeling a bit adventurous, Minho snatched the magazine from Key, earning a very annoyed glare from the blonde. Minho read over the text and handed it back to Key as he rubbed his temples.

“I should’ve known it was English. That language makes my head hurt.” He whined as Key smirked in amusement.

“I’ll make your head hurt even more if snatch something from me again.” Key threatened and he rolled up his magazine to hit Minho over the head. “Speaking of English, are you ready for your practice test at lunch?”

“Another practice test?” Minho asked, his large eyes widening in surprise.

“Yes. You’ll take it, I’ll grade it, and whatever you get wrong we’ll go over. Ok?” Minho nodded as he brushed his sweaty bangs out of the way. “Shouldn’t you be showering?” Key asked, an arched eyebrow raised and a finger pointed towards his sweaty clothes.

“I usually shower last so I’m not in anyone’s way. Besides, I like my sweat. It shows that I’ve worked hard.”

“Yeah, and it also makes you stink.”

“It’s not that bad. Come hug me.” Key scooted away from Minho, who just kept coming closer to him. When scooting didn’t work, he climbed up several rows of bleachers and armed himself with his magazine.

“I swear to God Minho if you come near me I will let you fail.” He warned as he pointed his rolled up magazine at Minho, who in turn raised his hands in defeat. Cautiously, he climbed down from the bleacher to sit on the first row, still keeping his distance in fear of Minho surprising him and hugging him anyway.

“You know, if you actually got off of your and played a sport, you wouldn’t mind sweating.” Minho teased.

“Why should I play a sport? So I can be pushed around and trampled by everyone who’s bigger than me? No thank you.” He retrieved his water bottle from his bag and took a sip of it. “Besides, I’m a dancer and dancers sweat plenty.”

“I’m sure prancing around and shaking your hips is very exhausting.” That earned Minho another smack to his head. At this rate, he’d end up brain damaged with the amount of blows he was receiving.

“I’ll have you know that I’m the best dancer on the team.” Minho looked at him with interest.

“You’re on a dance team?” Key nodded, taking another sip from his water bottle. “Where at?”

“Here, at school.”

“Our school has a dance team?” Key huffed as he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“Yes, our school has a dance team. If it weren’t for you sport jocks and your ty cheerleaders, maybe we’d get some recognition.”

“If you and your dancer friends could actually dance or had pretty skirts, maybe you’d get some recognition.” Key slapped him over the head, yet again, causing Minho to chuckle as he scooted away from Key to avoid any more blows.

“One, I’m not wearing a skirt. I’d put every girl in this school to shame. And two, we dance better than you play soccer.”

“Yeah, you wish.” Their laughter died down and Minho reached for Key’s water bottle, which Key handed him without a fight, and drank from it. “So, why are you always alone if your friends with the dance team?” Key shifted uncomfortably and folded his arms with a huff as well as rolled his eyes.

“Just because I’m on the team, doesn’t mean they want me there. They only put up with me because I’m an asset to the team. After practice, I’m nothing to them anymore.” Sensing the sadness in Key’s voice, Minho, without thinking, wrapped his arm around Key’s shoulder and brought him closer to his body. Key blushed a bit, not that Minho could see, and allowed himself to be pulled into Minho’s broad, warm, comforting chest.

“It’s ok Key. You’re too awesome for them anyway. Besides, you don’t have time for friends. You have to bother me remember?” Key chuckled at Minho’s attempt to make him feel a bit better.

“Yeah, I—yah! You’re still sweaty!” Key pushed himself away from Minho and the other just laughed.

“Alright, I’ll go shower now. You’re still going to help me study at lunch though right?”

“Yeah. Just meet me here ok?” Minho nodded as he headed to the locker room to shower and Key gathered his belongings and left the gym to attend his next class, which didn’t start for another ten minutes.

He sat outside of the door of his next class and flipped though his magazine, not that he could concentrate. An odd, but not unpleasant, smell was assaulting his nostrils and no matter how hard he sniffed, he couldn’t find the source of the smell. His nose led him to the sleeve of his shirt and he inhaled it deeply. The smell was familiar, too familiar, as he allowed his eyes to flutter closed while he took in that glorious smell.

Minho.

His clothes smelled like the younger boy from the brief contact they shared not so long ago and smiled as he relished in the scent that was Minho. Sweaty or not Minho’s smell was addicting and God was Key addicted. The bell rang, startling Key out of his usual Minho related trance and he got off of the floor to enter the classroom. When he entered, he noticed that there were still a few students who had yet to leave and they were in his seat. He took in a deep breath and blew it out again before walking over to his desk and slamming his books down on it.

“You’re in my seat. Move.” He demanded and the other, much bigger, guys calmed their laughter to glare in Key’s direction.

“I take this class next and I’ve just decided that I want to sit here. Move along .” He shoved Key’s books off of the desk and Key jutted his hip to the side as he crossed his arms over his chest. The bully took notice of this and let his eyes drift to the smaller male’s hip before his focus returned back to his face. “That’s a nice you’ve got there Key. How much do you charge for it?” He teased, getting praise from his surround peers.

“You should know Youngwoon since you spend so much money on me.” Key retorted as he leaned ily on his desk. Youngwoon went silent, not sure of what to comeback with and Key smiled in triumph over silencing the bully, but that didn’t necessarily mean he got his seat back.

“ off Key and find another seat.”

“No thanks. I sit here every day and today won’t be any different.” With that, Key sat on the table top of the desk and crossed his legs in a feminine fashion. Youngwoon furrowed his eyebrows in irritation, seriously thinking of just kicking Key’s so he wouldn’t have to worry about him any longer.

“You have three seconds to move. Three.” Key held his ground and stayed seated on the desk, sending his opponent a smirk and a glare.

“Two.” Key still didn’t move.

“One.” Key anticipated some kind of blow or something but it never came. Instead, Youngwoon got up from the desk. “Well, since you won’t move, I’ll move.” Key looked surprised. Had he actually won this battle without any bruises for once? Was Youngwoon really going to let him have his seat back? He figured maybe his luck was turning around when he felt himself topple to the floor, joining his sprawled books. He groaned in pain as his head collided with the tile floor.

Youngwoon received praise from his friends as Key slowly gathered his books and rose to his feet. He kept his head ducked as he made his way for the door, not willing to show that he was on the verge of tears because no matter what he did, no matter how many times he stood up for himself and tried not to let people treat him like , it still happened. It was always happened and it would never stop. He was almost out of the door when he bumped into Minho who was entering the class room.

“Where are you going?”

“I, um, really don’t want to be here right now.” he said hastily as he tried to shove past Minho, but the taller male was, well, taller and was blocking his path.

“You can’t skip class. I need you this period. I at English remember?” Key nodded as Minho sat in his normal seat which was next to Youngwoon, but Minho hadn’t noticed the bully in Key’s seat. Key shuffled around Minho’s desk and Minho watched as Key sat in a seat diagonal from him. “Why are you sitting there?” Key nodded to where Youngwoon was sitting and Minho glared at the guy in irritation.

“What?” Youngwoon said when he heard his name being called, but he smiled when he noticed it was Minho. “Hey Minho. What’s—”

“You’re in his seat.” Youngwoon looked at him in confusion.

“Who’s seat? The ’s seat?”

“His name is Key and you’re in his seat. Move.” Youngwoon chuckled nervously.

“Minho, you’re seriously taking his—”

“I said move.” He threw his hands up in defeat and gathered his belongings before moving to a nearby seat. Minho turned to Key and nodded to his now empty seat and Key started walking to the desk, smiling, and blushing, as he did.

“It’s all warm.” He complained as he sat down and he turned to where Youngwoon was sitting and stuck his tongue out at the boy before quickly turning back around in his seat. It wasn’t long before he felt something collide with the back of his head. It was a balled up piece of paper with the words ‘you’re dead’ scribbled on it. Key smirked to himself, knowing that he’d somehow evade Youngwoon because he was smaller and faster than he bigger male and could out run him any day. But if he ever caught him, he knew that he was indeed dead.

Lunch rolled around fairly quickly. Minho and Key sat on the gym floor, their lunch and their books lying with them. Both males were frustrated over the fact that Minho still didn’t understand the work.

“Did you even study after I left last night?” Key asked as he rolled up his spiral notebook, ready to beat Minho if necessary.

“Yes!” Key glared. “I swear I studied last night. That’s why I called you so late. To see if you could help me. I’m trying so hard but I just don’t get English.” Key sighed and nodded, satisfied that at least Minho was trying now.

The blonde couldn’t understand where he was going wrong. Was he a bad tutor? Did he not explain enough? He ran his hand through his hair as he thought of ways to help Minho retain the material. But what could he do? His eyes happened to glance toward the bleachers, where a lone basketball sat. Feeling a plan form in his head, Key got up to retrieve the ball and came back bouncing it awkwardly. Minho chuckled at how childish he looked while clumsily dribbling the ball.

“Key, what are you doing?” Minho asked after he collected himself.

“Helping you pass English. Every answer you get correct, I’ll let you shoot the ball.” Minho’s eyes sparkled with a special glint and Key could help but to think he had some sort of sport addiction that he should really get checked out.

“Deal.”

Key’s plan wasn’t working as well as he hoped it would. It had been ten minutes since they made the deal and Minho had yet to answer any question correctly. He didn’t mean to be so rude, but Key couldn’t help but to push Minho harder, to force that answer out of his brain. Whatever he was doing, it worked because Minho finally said the correct answer.

“Yay! You’re getting it!” Key exclaimed as Minho stood up.

“Can I shoot now?” That blonde rolled his eyes and gave the ball to Minho, who looked as if he were a kid that had finally been allowed to have ice cream. With fancy, flashy, footsteps, Minho dribbled the ball down the court, turned and did other flashy moves, and finally jumped up to dunk the ball in the hoop, swing on it for the added effect. He finally jumped down when Key yelled for him to stop being such a show off and walked back to where he was previously sitting.

Key’s method was finally starting to work. Key started out allowing Minho to shoot the ball after every correct answer, but after a while, he changed it to every correct page. Minho had finished the entire chapter and Key allowed him to shot the ball for the rest of lunch.

“Come play with me.” He said after shooting around aimlessly.

“I’m not a sports person.”

“Please? It’s not fun by myself.” Key sighed, knowing he’d regret by the time they finished, but he got up anyway and tried to get the ball from Minho, but as expected Minho was too quick. He teased Key for a while, holding the ball out for him to grab and then taking it back and shooting it. Key stood on the court with his hands on his hips, getting more and more annoyed by the second.

“I don’t see how this is fun. You’re just pissing me off really.”

“Ok. Ok. Here. Shoot.” Key took the ball before Minho could snatch it away again and prepared to shoot the ball. He dribbled it a few times, ignoring Minho’s snickering, and shot the ball. It flew into the air and landed on the floor, making it nowhere near the hoop. Minho dropped to his knees and laughed his off while Key folded his arms and stormed away. He packed his things and planned to leave when Minho grabbed his wrist and pulled him into a hug while still laughing.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I won’t laugh anymore alright?” Key didn’t answer, the close contact preventing him from forming any logical sentences. Minho pulled back to see Key completely red in the face. “Key? Are you ok?”

“Oh. Y-Yeah. Just embarrassed. I didn’t expect to be made fun of for being athletically challenged.”

“Well, since you helped me in English, I’ll help you on your shooting. Here” He positioned Key on the in front of the hoop and handed him the ball. “Now hold it above your head a bit and shoot.” Key attempted to do what Minho told him to do, but he failed miserably, earning more laughter from Minho.

“Sure, laugh it up .” He said, throwing his arms up dramatically.

“Ok. I’m sorry. I’ll help you.” He picked the ball and walked behind Key, wrapping his arms around him to hand the ball. “Now, you hold it like this.”

Minho covered Key’s hands with his own and held the ball the way it was supposed to be, not that Key could pay attention to anything the taller man was trying to show him. The heat of Minho’s body made him warm and made his heart do little flips in his chest. His cheeks burned bright red and his knees started to feel weak. Minho wasn’t good for his health seeing as his heart was beating way too fast for his liking. His warm breath tickled the back of his neck as he gave Key instruction on how to shoot properly. Key hadn’t even noticed that he was supposed to shoot the ball after Minho forced his hands forward. The ball dropped to the ground and rolled away, making it nowhere near the goal.

“You really are athletically challenged. There’s no hope for you.” Minho teased, but Key couldn’t hear him over the sound of his own heartbeat in his ears. Minho had been so close to him and his heat was so comforting yet so arousing and if Minho had stayed that close to him any longer, he probably would’ve fainted. He was still standing there, red-faced and speechless when Minho thumped him in the head.

“Yah! Stop doing that!”

“Stop spacing out so much! It’s weird!” Key was about to retort when the bell rang, ending lunch.

The pair walked to where their books were laid out and packed up their belongings before saying goodbye to each other and walking to their class. Key got halfway to class when he realized he didn’t have his English book. Frustrated, he walked back to the gym to get his book. When he got there, it was gone so he figured Minho must’ve gotten it for him. He shrugged and headed back down the hall, not willing to run even though he was a bit late. He turned a corner and stopped dead in his tracks.

There pressed up against the lockers was Minho, his lips being devoured by Krystal, one of the school . He balled his fists, wanting nothing more than to slam her head in one of those lockers for kissing Minho. But then he realized that Minho wasn’t his.

His heart fell to the ground and shattered; he was sure the whole school could’ve heard it. He tore his eyes away from the pair and bolted in the opposite direction, trying his best to keep his emotions under control, but once he was alone, he let his tears stream freely down his face.

He wasn’t sure when exactly he’d fallen for Minho, but that didn’t necessarily matter because the fact was that he did and now he was heartbroken over a guy who didn’t even know his feelings in the first place. But it wasn’t like he could tell him that he was in love with him. Minho was straight and that would ruin their friendship, but how could he possibly be anywhere the athlete knowing that he had a new fling? His emotions were all over the place and he knew there was no way he could be around Minho and still act as if he wasn’t hurt.

He chuckled bitterly. Why was he hurt? He had no reason to be crying on the floor in the middle of the school hallway. He had no claims or rights to Minho so he didn’t deserve to hurt, not that his heart understood that. It was too busy tearing at the seams as the picture as Minho and that came back into view.

He couldn’t be there. He had to leave. He had at least three more classes left before school was over but that didn’t stop him from getting up from his spot on the floor and making a beeline for the school exit.

When he arrived at his house, he noticed his father’s car was in the driveway but he still continued to enter the house. When Key noticed that his father wasn’t in sight, he quietly, but swiftly, made his way to his room and shut the door. He didn’t waste any time before turning on his laptop and logging into his blog account. Tears were still flowing down his face as he typed furiously on the keyboard.

How pathetic am I falling for a straight guy? I shouldn’t have let him in. I shouldn’t have allowed myself to like, let alone love anyone. But here I am, sitting in my room crying my eyes out like a over some guy that’ll never love me. Queue the emo music.

He pressed send and flopped back onto his bed and after only a few seconds, he got a few replies.

Awl, hang in there Hun.

Key~ it’ll be ok. Hwaiting!

Replies from people he knew online kept rolling in, but he didn’t bother reading them. The only one he was interested in was the very last reply. I’m calling you. After a few minutes, he phone indeed started to ring and he picked it up immediately.

“What did that do to you?” He chuckled a bit at the harshness in the caller’s voice.

“Nothing Nicole, it just that…”

“You can tell me Key. What happened?” He swallowed thickly before speaking.

“He was kissing the school today. I mean, I get we’re just friends and everything and that he’ll never return my feelings, but it still hurts. God it hurts.” He continued to sob as Nicole stayed quiet and let him cry. There wasn’t anything she could really say to him while he was in this state, so she usually stayed silent until he was ready to talk again. “How am I supposed to be around him now? I still have to tutor him but I don’t think I can look at him anymore.”

“Just block him out completely. No texts, no calls, and no hanging out. It’ll make it easier when you have to see him.”

“But it’s so hard! Do you have any idea how badly I want to text him? Oh my God why wasn’t I born a girl? Then I wouldn’t be in this mess!”

“Yah! Key, you fine the way you are. And stop worrying so much. You’ll find a guy that returns your feelings. Just because it’s not Minho doesn’t mean the world will end.” He took in everything she was saying and realized she was right. The world wouldn’t end just because Minho didn’t like him, but again, his heart wouldn’t listen.

“I know, but the heart wants what it wants. I’m going to take a nap. Or a drug. Whatever calms me down.” Nicole laughed a bit at Key’s joke.

“Yeah alright. I have to go. It’s getting late here. The next time you’re in California, you better come see me.”

“You know I will. By Cole.”

“Bye Key.” Key hung up his phone and seconds later he received a text from Minho. He’d be lying if he said his heart didn’t beat a bit faster as he stared at Minho name on his phone.

From: Minho

Key, where are you? O.O

To: Minho

Home.

He put the phone on his nightstand and it soon vibrated before he had a chance to let it go.

From: Minho

You ditched without me? T.T I would’ve left with you.

Kibum rolled his eyes. Minho wouldn’t have gone anywhere as long as his little playtoy was there. They were probably flirting at that very moment,

To: Minho

You wouldn’t have. But whatever. I don’t care.

The reply came almost instantly.

From: Minho

Are you mad at me? I already apologized for the athletic jokes. You’re not still mad are you?

Annoyed, he turned off his phone and rolled over in his bed as sleep slowly took over his mind and Minho entered his dreams. Even in his dreams he wanted Minho and that was the only way he’d ever get him. In his dreams.

 

{A/N}

This is so late and I’m sorry. Im tired and sad and blah and had no inspiration. Just onshot ideas. I'd like you to read them and subscirbe to my newest one.  But yeah, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I’ll see you as soon as I can,

 

Yeoleobun~~ Annyeong~~