prologue

Flavours of Milk

When I thought of it, it was kind of funny.

 

I mean you, you in all your weird smocks and oddly coloured coats. You were always a bit different. You and your camera were attached to the hip. It was always around your neck, your eyes refusing to give anything away. In the beginning I had thought you were just another student – another outcast like myself. I didn’t expect to find you at my favourite café, snapping away on that camera of yours. At first I had tried to hide my face, tried to pretend I wasn’t there because it was embarrassing seeing a classmate out of school. When you caught my eye I bolted out because I really didn’t want to strike up a conversation which was only going to run cold.

 

It was surprising seeing you run after me. You, the girl who would angrily shove a ball in anyone’s face who demanded you join in and participate in PE. You were always a flimsy runner, but maybe you were fast when you wanted to be. I remember the way you grabbed my arm, snapping that I should feel as lucky as hell that you ran after me because you weren’t the type of girl to run after anything. I remember the way your camera swung around when you walked, held by a sturdy chain which you wore around your neck. I remember the way you bit your lip and the conversation with few words yet so many meanings.

 

It was funny, because when I had enough courage to look into your eyes, you were more beautiful than I had ever seen you before.

 

For a girl who once mistook mascara for a new form of paint, you were the prettiest girl I had ever seen.

 

But you wouldn’t hear that from me, because you didn’t consider that a compliment.

 


(A/N: OTL trying a different style to what I'm used too. so let's just see where this goes and don't blame me for nonsensical updates I promise for this one story I'll keep author's notes to a few neat lines. Cutting this off now, I promise :D)