Two years before

Heart of Flame

(This whole chapter is a flash back, all the parts that are grey)

      Heechul P.O.V.


  "Ummonim.... Please dont be like that..." I pleaded her. Still, she waved her hands around the air and grabbed at nonexistent things.
  "They're scared of me." she chuckled. "They have nothing to fear! Come here... Come here..." she kept grabbing.
  "Ummonim... Stop..." she ignored me.
  "Heechul, no matter how hard you try, she wont stop!!" my older sister slapped my hand, that was reaching for my mother's. "She cant be fixed..." her eyes teared up.
  "Heejin noona, I'm sorry..." I stood up from my crouching postion. At 18, I towered over her. She held me in her arms, and led me outside near the canal. There, we sat in silence.

  Taemul P.O.V.

  I couldnt believe they loved that retard. Even after they left, she was talking, to her delusions. She'd laugh and clap at NOTHING. She wasn't worth crying over. Once someone turns like that, they are just using up valuble food and air. Those people are better dead. I smirked at the woman. They'll probably thank me if I did the deed for them.

  Heechul P.O.V.

  Heejin got up. "I have to go to work." she explained before she left. Even though I knew it tired her more than anything, I didn't stop her because no-one would accept a high school drop-out, and someone had to make money to keep our mother alive.
  I looked down at the water. My own worried face looked back. I dipped my hand into the canal so that the ripples would distort my reflection. A shadow slipped over me. I looked up to see a young teen looking down at me. For a second, I thought of charging him money for staying here, but I quickly dismissed the thought. How could I take from a student that has no more than us? Ashamed, I sighed and stood.
  "Why do you take such good care of her?" Taemul stared directly into my eyes.
  "Who?" I was slightly intimidated by his straightforwardness.
  "Your mother."
  "She took care of us since we were young. Without a father, it was certainly hard. We want to repay the favor, as her children." My answer seemed to surprise him.
  "How did she become this way?" I hesitated.
  "10 years ago, we had a brother. He was the oldest and our mother's pride. He was an officer, and the youngest and best out of the others. He caught many criminals, including one from a very powerful secret organization. They found my mother, and tortured her until it forced our brother to come.
  "There, they burned him in front of her, and left her to bleed to death in an abandoned shack. Thankfully, there was someone who saw what happened, and saved our mother. Ever since then... Shes been like this." I motioned towards my mother. It pained me to watch her crawl out of her wheelchair. I ran to her side.
  "Umma, what are you trying to do?" I softly whispered so that only she can hear.
  "Hangeng wants me to catch him. Such a silly boy, my son." she giggled like she was half her age as she inched away. I couldnt watch anymore, so I sat back in my room. I stared out my window. We lived in Guangzhou, so people were always bustling around, doing what they could to stay alive. Yet here i am, sitting here, with an untanned face, and unblemished hands. With that thought in mind, I studied until I fell asleep, determined to get back to school.
  30 minutes after i had fallen asleep, at 4:00am, my sister came home, exhausted. I immedietly woke up from the sound of the door slamming, and ran to her side.
  "Noona! Did you do overtime again?! You'll collapse!! You havent slept for the past 3 days!!" I draped her arm over my shoulder, and assisted her to her bed.
  "Wake me up in 2 hours..." she mumbled. "I need to make breakfast..." she had already fallen asleep before I could protest. I smiled as I looked down at her peaceful face. Our diseased father would have been proud. Our Heejin is so hardworking. With a grunt, I rose. I had to make breakfast. I padded over to the refrigerator only to find... Nothing. I checked up with my mother before I left. Asleep. Perfect. I happily pondered on what to make as i began the walk to the supermarket.

Taemul P.O.V.

-----1 month earlier-----

  "Where is our money?!" A big man hissed. Fear rushed through my veins.
  "I-I don-" Sharp pain shot from my back after he swung the bat with crushing force. I gasped when I heard something crack.
  "WHERE IS IT?!?!" He roared. When i didnt answer he only said: "Take care of him." to his men. I screamed in pain as they swung their bats repeatedly. They pummeled and pummeled me until i was bruised and bloody. The leader then grabbed my hair and pulled me to his face. He was so close I could feel his hot breath on my cheeks.
  "Bring the 30,000 within a month or else. Remember that I know where you live. You're lucky I'm not charging interest, boy." He then threw my head to the ground. The gang then left the dark alleyway, leaving me in puddle of my own blood.

---End Flashback---

  Heechul P.O.V.

  As I approached the street we lived on, I felt a growing sense of unease. I sped up, only to have it be replaced with dread as I smelt the foul odor of smoke. Eyes widening, I dropped my groceries and sprinted towards the house that I called my home. The very place I grew up in was aflame, but all I could think of was my precious family trapped within that ring of fire.
  Without a second thought, I burst through the wall of orange and frantically searched for my noona's room. I screamed in pain when I touched the red-hot doorknob.
  "NOONA!!!" I pounded the wooden door and surprisingly, it fell. She was surrounded in flame, unconcious. I ran over to lug her out, but she was heavy, and the smoke didn't do me any good either. With her on my back, I desperately scrambled towards the way out. My heart plunged down into my stomach when a part of the ceiling collapsed, blocking my way out. I scanned the area, desperate to get out. Adrenaline took over when a shrill scream rang through the house, or whatever was left of it.
  "Andwe!! ANDWE!!!!!!" my mother was cowering in a corner, eyes wide and fearful. They were staring right into the bright flame, seeing something I couldn't.
  "Hangeng..." she said, voice trembling. Then I understood. I understood that no matter what we did, she wouldnt let go of Hangeng. I understood that she wouldn't, no, couldn't live without him. She stepped closer the fire and was totally consumed. I turned away, my eyes blurry with tears, and let her go.

 

A/N - i know it's short, but hopefully, the rest will be longer because there will be more characters, POVs, and so much more drama. Drama. Dont we all love it? 

Well school starts tomorrow so i'll probably only update on weekends. Sub and comment PLEASE~~~~~~~