Lao Po

Lao Po

 

She sat in front of her vanity table. Behind the white veil she is wearing, she looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes reflect that of her emotion right now, and that is happiness. Today is her day, and today, she is the most beautiful woman everyone will see.
 
Including her.
 
She stood by the door of her hotel room, watching as she took her precious time adoring herself in the mirror. A faint smile was formed on her lips upon seeing how beautiful she is on her long white gown. She have always seen her at her prettiest, and even at her ugliest, but today, she was more than pretty. She was more than amazing. Word could not describe how beautiful she is today. 
 
Then, she turned to her, and gave her a sweet smile. “How long have you been standing there, Ella?” she asked. She smiled back at her, and walked towards her. “Long enough to think if you look fat on your gown or not, Selina.” Ella said. She let out a laugh, while she pouted as she hit her arm. “How can you be so cruel? And on my wedding day!” she said, still pouting at her. “I told you not to eat up all the hot pot yesterday. I bet your fat didn't fit your gown today. Should I ready my camera for any wardrobe disaster today?” Ella teased. She pouted at her again. “I hate you...” she hissed. Ella just laughed her off. “I'm just kidding. You look... pretty. More than pretty.” she assured her. And this time, Selina gave her a smile.
 
She paused as she looked at her best friend. It's been 10 years since she have known this girl at a singing contest. She won third in that singing contest, while Selina won the first place. When HIM called them to form a girl group, she was a little hesitant of joining the group with her. She thought she wouldn't be able to get along with her, and Hebe, but she was wrong. Somehow, Selina and Hebe turned out to be similar in a matter of different ways. The three realized that they shared a link, a bond that now one could ever break.
 
But more than being a band mate, she and Hebe were her best friends – the sisters that destiny forgot to give her. She would never regret joining that singing contest and accepting that offer from HIM, because if one of the things that she was grateful for making that decision, is that she met these girls, especially Selina. For the past 10 years, these two girls have seen her ups and downs. They were there to cheer on her when she wanted to quit, for she thought that showbiz is a cruel world for her. They were there when she needed shoulders to cry on when she got her heart broken. They were there to support her when she had new projects. They gave her inspiration to write beautiful songs. They were always there for her. And she was thankful to have these girls in her life. 
 
She felt a tear forming at the corner of her eyes that day when Richard proposed to her on stage. She knew it coming, after all, they have been dating for so long. She and Hebe helped him overcome his stage fright, and prepare that surprise for Selina. In the end, Selina agreed to marry him. She is happy, all right, but then the thought of one of her best friends getting married makes her sad. It has always been the three of them, and then Richard will take her away from them. 
 
“Lao po, what are you thinking about?” she heard Selina said. She looked down at her and smiled. “I'm thinking how happy you are today, Nana... after all... this is your dream wedding, right?” she said. “Are you happy for me?” Selina asked. She slowly nodded her head. “I know what you're thinking... I know you feel scared now that I'm getting married.” Selina said. Ella gave her a confused look. Just then, she held her hand, and looked up at her and smiled. “No matter what happens, I will always be here for you. Nothing will change after this wedding. I'm still the same Selina that will always be there for you. Remember that.” Selina said. 
 
Tears couldn't help but fall from her eyes now. “I know...” Ella whispered. “And I will always be here for you. Just like before.” she added. Selina nodded her head. “S.H.E will be S.H.E. No substitutes. No replacement. You, me and Hebe will be best friends forever.” Selina said. Ella nodded her head, and smiled. Then, she leaned down to her, and hugged her. The two were trying to control their tears, so as not to ruin their make up.
 
“Lao po...” they heard someone call. They looked by the door, and saw Hebe standing her. “Enough of the drama, girls. We're about to start.” she said. “Don't you feel a little dramatic now that Selina is getting married?” Ella asked. Hebe smiled, and nodded her head. “I am. But I don't want to ruin my make up.” she said. Then, the three of them laughed. Hebe walked up to them, and hugged her two best friends. Being the youngest, she was the one that was scared the most when Selina and Richard got engaged. It was Selina who have always been protecting her like a mother duck, and with her marriage, she feared that Selina will leave their group. But after hearing what she told Ella, she felt at ease. “S.H.E will be S.H.E. It won't be the same without Selina, Hebe and Ella...” she thought. 
 
For them, S.H.E is not just a band. It is a group of friends who swears to be always there, to be together, forever.
 
--
 
The wedding march began, and soon after, Ella and Hebe walked down the aisle. At the end of the aisle, they took their respective seats to make way to the lovely bride. As the ceremony started, a tall guy rushed inside the church. He immediately took the seat next to Hebe. Hebe could only glare at the guy for a long time. “You're late.” she hissed at him. “Sorry. Had to film a drama.” the guy said. “Yeah, right.” she sneered. He just gave her his sunshine smile, but to no effect. He just sat quietly beside her, hoping that she would forgive him for being late.
 
Meanwhile, Ella was listening to the priest, when she felt someone patted her. She looked back, and saw Jiro. “Do you have a tissue?” he asked. “Why? You're gonna cry? You know, you could have raised your hand on the part where the priest asked if anyone objects to this wedding...” she teased. She knew Jiro have been carrying a torch for Selina for so long, but then Selina could only see him as a brother. “No. Just give me a tissue, please?” he said. Ella reached for her bag, and gave Jiro a tissue. As she turned her eyes on the couple, she never knew what Jiro did to that tissue.
 
“Are you mad?” he whispered to Hebe. Hebe paid no attention to her. “Oh, you're mad...” he said amusingly. He knew too well that if Hebe is this silent, she sure is pissed off at something he did. “Can you shut up? I'm trying to concentrate on what the priest is saying.” Hebe said. He just let out another playful smile. If only Hebe knew what he had in store for her this day.
 
--
 
“You may now kiss the bride.”
 
Richard raised her veil, and gave Selina a long and loving kiss on the lips. Everyone stood up from their seats, and clapped their hands, rejoicing to their union as husband and wives. As the couple fled outside the church, everyone followed them, including Ella and Hebe. Selina looked back, and saw Ella and Hebe standing outside the church. She smiled at them, and gave her two best friends a flying kiss. Ella and Hebe just smiled at her. Then, Selina did the expected. She threw her bouquet up in the air. But then, the bouquet was split into two, and was caught by Ella and Hebe.
 
“The two of us will get married at the same time?” Hebe asked. Ella just shrugged her shoulder. “Maybe it will be your turn. As for me, I will have to find Mr. Right.” she said. Just then, the tall guy walked up to Hebe. As soon as she saw him, she folded her arms, and looked away from him. “Calvin, did you do something to piss my lao po again?” Ella asked. Calvin nodded his head. “I was late when she told me to come early. I'm filming a drama, you know.” he explained. Ella turned to Hebe. “See? Why don't you forgive him?” Ella said. Hebe shook her head. “No.” she said stubbornly. Just then, Calvin pulled out something from his pocket. “Even if I ask you to marry me now?” he asked. 
 
Hebe was taken aback by what he said. She looked at him, and saw him holding a diamond ring on his hand. “Seriously?” she asked. Calvin nodded his head. Hebe pouted at him, and hit his chest. “Fool! I thought you would never ask!” she said. Calvin just laughed at her. He took his hand, and slipped the ring on her finger. 
 
“So, Hebe is next... guess I'm the one who's going to be a spinster...” she thought. She walked away from the two so that they could savor their moments together. As she walked away, she heard someone calling her. She looked back, and saw Jiro running after her. “Hey... Ella... I want to return something to you...” he said. Ella gave him a confused look when he handed her a tissue. She raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you serious? You could have thrown that away!” Ella shouted at him. Jiro just laughed at him. “Can you open it, and see what's written there?” he said. Ella took the tissue, and unfolded it.
 
Will you go out on a date with me? ^_^
 
Ella gave her a confused look. “I... I thought you like...”
“Selina?”
Ella nodded her head. “The one I like the most is you.” Jiro said. Ella's jaw dropped at what her junior said. “Since Hana Kimi days... but you and Chun... you know... you got together, then you two broke up, and then you had this on and off relationship... I don't want to get in the way because I know what you two are going through. But... now that you and Chun are already through... I gathered up enough courage to ask you out. You know, I'm not as rich as that guy, nor not as handsome as he is. I'm not even half the man that he is know, but I know is that I like you for so long... no... I love you for so long. So, can you give me a chance to prove to you that I love you?” he said nervously. “But Selina...”
“I asked for her help. That explains the sudden closeness, and the rumors...”
“But you said you like her?”
“Because I can't publicly say that I like you. You and Chun... remember? I don't want the CE fans to murder me. But now, I am ready to die, just to tell the whole world that I do love you...” 
 
Ella just laughed at what he said. “Seriously?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head, and raised his right hand. “Cross my heart and hope to die. Just then, she remember what Selina said when she cried to her over her last breakup with Chun. “I wish you would find a guy who can love you more than you love him. And when you found him, don't ever let him go... you deserve someone better... and people also deserve a chance to be love by you...” Selina told her. Then, she looked at Jiro and smiled. “OK... you got you chance.” she said. Jiro jumped in joy at what she said. “Yes!” she said. “But for now, be my at the wedding dinner, all right?” she said. Jiro smiled at her and nodded his head. 
 
As he held his hand, she knew that this is a start of a blooming love life for her. Who knows, she might be the next one to get married in S.H.E