When Every Ring Has A Story

When Every Ring Has A Story

In a garden

“Little Princess! Be careful. Don’t run too fast!”

A boy around thirteen years old was running and panting. In front of him, a little girl who’s younger than him by three years old was running happily.

The little girl chuckled and turned her body to look at him. “Hyung, you’re so slow!” She chuckled more and sticked her tongue out.

Yes, that little girl always calls the boy as ‘Hyung’. It’s because she’s the only girl in the neighborhood. All the little boys call him ‘Hyung’, so she wanted to call him as Hyung too. And he always call her ‘Little Princess’, because she’s the only his female friend and her parents call her like that.

“Yah! Don’t run that fast, you will get tired because you will have long flight tomorrow morning!” The boy said after he successfully chased after her.

“Hyung, you’re the one who tired. I am not!” She puffed her cheeks cutely. The girl then sat under the big tree. “Hyung, I’m afraid I won’t have any friends in America!”

The boy sat beside her and patted her back. “Don’t worry, Little Princess. You will have a lot of friends there. You are so kind, many kids will like you.”

“But I can’t speak English fluently!”

“You will learn step by step while you’re there. Your appa is good at English, you will speak English good too. Don’t be afraid like this. You’ll be fine there!” The boy gave her  big smile to encourage her.

“Hyung, you will always be my friend, won’t you?” She shook his right hand.

“Sure. We’ll be friends forever. Although you live in America and I’m in Korea, we can still communicate by letter, phone, or internet. We still can speak everyday, Little Princess!”

“Really, Hyung?” Her eyes were teary.

“Yes, I promise! Oh, wait!” The boy seemed looking for something on his pocket.

He took something from his pocket. A yellow ring from rubber with smiley face shape. He grabbed her hand and placed that ring on her left ring finger.

“This is our friendship symbol. Keep it well, Little Princess. And bring it when we meet again next time.”

She looked at her smiley ring carefully. “Friendship symbol? But….this is a ring, Hyung!”

“Who said it's a necklace? Hey, look!!” He showed his right middle finger and showed the same ring but in blue color. “I bought one for me too. I know it’s ugly, but still this is our friendship symbol!”

He laughed out loud and made her laughed too. The two little friends made pinky promise that they will keep their friendship and of course their friendship symbol forever.

 

 

13 YEARS LATER

At “Pastry’s Generation” Pastry Shop

In one pastry shop, in the downtown of Seoul, a man with his chef uniform was arranging his cakes with the help from a brunette woman.

“Oppa, you really will go home tomorrow?” The brunette asked while placing the chocolate muffin carefully.

“Yups. Why? Do you want me to buy something for you?” The man, who looked like the pastry chef in that pastry shop, answered while cutting his apple pie.

 “Hmmm is there any something special in Mokpo?” The woman chuckled softly. It’s not the first time she and her friends about his hometown Mokpo.

“Yah!” The man placed his hands on his waist, pretended to get angry. “What did you say, Kim Taeyeon?”

The brunette named Taeyeon laughed happily, seeing her friend acted to get mad at her. “I was kidding, Oppa. I don’t need anything. Just comeback here safely!”

 “Hmmm okay I will. I don’t want to make Kangin and his wife lost their best chef!”

“Hahaha you better be Chef Lee Donghae!”

“Oh Taeyeon, where is Kangin hyung anyway?”

Taeyeon stopped her activity for a while and then answered Donghae’s question softly. “He’s in hospital. His appa called her to come. Seem like his eomma’s condition is getting worse.”

Donghae looked at Taeyeon. He could understand what’s written in Taeyeon’s sad face. “I’m sorry to hear that. Do you want to go there too?” He asked again, carefully.

Taeyeon nodded. “We went there together before. But I didn’t get into her room.” She smiled bitterly.

Donghae patted Taeyeon’s back. “Everything will be alright. But don’t forget to pray for your mother in law!”

“I always pray for her to get recovery soon, Oppa. I really want her to get well and accept me as her son’s wife.” Taeyeon’s voice cracked because she forced herself to not cry.

Taeyeon and Donghae left in awkward silence. Taeyeon started to arrange the cakes again while Donghae paying attention to her. Donghae knows Taeyeon since five years ago when one of his roommates, Kangin, introduced her as his girlfriend. The couples have many differences. Kangin, who has big body and bad boy style, had a girlfriend who’s mini, skinny, and a little bit childish, Taeyeon. But those differences made them looked so cute in Donghae’s eyes. The way Kangin cares for Taeyeon was indescribable. Two years after in relationship with Kangin, Taeyeon’s parents died in traffic accident. She has no one, but luckily Kangin always there for her everyday and every night. Kangin, who was 24 years old that time, asked Taeyeon to be his wife so he could protect Taeyeon all the time. A very surprising decision that made everyone surprised with Kangin’s bravery, especially Kangin’s eomma. She’s the most who against their marriage, because since the first time she’s never liked Taeyeon as her son’s girlfriend. But no one could stop Kangin. He married Taeyeon without his every single family came to their wedding. And now after their three years of marriage, the couple still going strong even Kangin’s family still can’t accept Taeyeon as part of them. One of their proves as full commitment couple is this pastry shop. Along with Donghae, they joined to open "Pastry's Generation" since last year, with Donghae as the head chef.

Taeyeon’s phone suddenly ringed. She grabbed her phone quickly inside her bag. “Hello. Oppa, how is eomma?” Taeyeon became silent for a while. “Is it okay? Should I go now? Ehm, I see. I’ll go there now!” Taeyeon hung up the phone and turned to Donghae.

Donghae stared at Taeyeon. “Is that Kangin hyung? Did he ask you to go to hospital?”

Taeyeon nodded weakly. “He said…Eomma wants to meet me!”

“Really?” Donghae became hyper and shook Taeyeon’s shoulders. “You should go now, Taeyeon!”

“But I’m afraid, Oppa!”

“Hey, is that a request from your mother in law right? Just go now, Taeyeon! Go! I’ll pray the best for you!”

Taeyeon smiled. Donghae was right. She shouldn’t waste this chance. Taeyeon hugged Donghae tightly. “I’ll go now, Oppa! Fighting for me!”

“Yes. I believe in you, Tae!” Donghae hugged Taeyeon back.

Taeyeon released her hug then grabbed her bag. She threw a smile to Donghae before walked to go outside the shop.

 

 

 

The bell in pastry shop’s door was ringed, the sign of customer came. Donghae was about to greet the customer when he saw a man with cheeky smile walked toward him as he walked on the catwalk.

“Ah you!”

“Why? Don’t you like to see me?” He stopped then stood at the counter right in front of Donghae.

“Not really. I’m bored actually.” Donghae laughed.

“Up to you, Lee Donghae! Where are Taeyeon and Kangin hyung anyway?” He wandered around.

“They are in hospital now.” Donghae answered.

“Oh to visit Kangin hyung’s eomma? Wait, is Taeyeon there too?” He widened his little eyes.

“Actually only Kangin hyung at first, but around thirty minutes ago he called Taeyeon to come because his eomma wants to meet her.”

“What? Why is that all of sudden?”

“Why? Isn’t it good for Taeyeon? She’s been waiting for all this time for this chance.”

“You’re right. She suffered a lot. I always wish nothing but the best for her and Kangin hyung.”

Donghae suddenly distracted with his best friend’s outfit which was too fashionable for him. “Yah Lee Hyukjae, where will you go huh?”

Lee Hyukjae, the only Donghae’s roommate right now after Kangin left to live in his little house with Taeyeon, chuckled and brushed his hair with his fingers. “Do I look okay?” He asked back.

“Since when do you look okay huh?”

“Yah, I’m serious right now!!” Hyukjae felt uneasy.

“Tell me first, where will you go?” Donghae kept forcing Hyukjae to answer him.

“Railway station!” Hyukjae answered coyly.

“Hmm for what?”

“She comes back to Seoul today from her Busan trip. And she wanted me to fetch her there.” Hyukjae looked shy.

Donghae was silent for a while, but when he got what Hyukjae meant, he burst into laughter. “Ayyee Lee Hyukjae!! Did you dress up like this to impress her?”

Hyukjae threw tissue box to Donghae. “Shut up, Lee Donghae! I.. I decided to ask her out today!”

“What? Oh My God, Lee Hyukjae is grown up!” Donghae was really laughed out loud.

“Yah, is that really funny? You always say I have to utter my feelings to her!”

Donghae forced to not laugh. “No, it’s not funny. But why do you want to confess to her all of sudden?”

“Not all of sudden actually, I just feel so lonely she left me for vacation these past two weeks!” Hyukjae pouted his lips.

“Do you miss her huh? So how will you confess to her?”

“I have prepared something.” Hyukjae showed his gummy smile. “But..I’m afraid I will only get her rejection!”

“Trust me, she loves you too, Hyukjae. Even blind people can see you two love each other. It’s just you and her who always try to deny the truth!”

“Is that so? I’m so going to kill you if she rejects me, Donghae!”

Donghae laughed again. “It’s the first time I see Lee Hyukjae looks so nervous because of a woman.” Donghae bent down to take a cake in the counter. “So when will you fetch her?”

Hyukjae looked at his watch. “Her train will come at 12.05 PM, so I’ll go to the station 15 minutes more I think. I don’t want to be late even just a second.”

Donghae smiled and put a plate of chocolate muffin in front of Hyukjae. “Eat this. Chocolate will help you to calm your heart. Don’t worry it’s free!”

“Thanks a lot, Donghae!” Hyukjae took the spoon and started to eat the muffin. “Ehm Donghae, are you really going back to Mokpo tomorrow?”

“Yes, whatever will be happened, I’m going back tomorrow!”

“Hey, are you going to meet a woman there huh?”

Donghae chuckled. “Woman? Ehm…maybe!”

“Maybe? Yah Donghae, just tell me the truth!”

“I just want to go home. It’s almost a year I haven’t visited my hometown! Just eat your cake or you’ll be late!”

“Oh yes yes I’ll eat, Chef!” Hyukjae ate his free muffin again

 

 

 

At Gyeongbu Railway Station

Hyukjae stood nervously in the railway station. He looked at his watch for many times. One minute more the train will come, Hyukjae said to himself as he breathed heavily.

And he’s right. The train that brought the woman that he’s waited has finally arrived.

“Oh my God, she’s coming!!” Hyukjae brushed his hair with his fingers, one of his actions when he’s being nervous.

He tilted his head to examine one per one the passenger who got out from the train. Hyukjae became more nervous when he got a sight of her. He rubbed his nap as he stared at woman who just got out from the train with her luggage. She’s on the phone with anger face and looked didn’t care with people around her. She looked so serious talked with someone on the phone.

Hyukjae paid attention to her. But she didn’t realize with Hyukjae’s appearance yet and still busy with her phone.  Then she stopped walking and wandered around, looked like she looked for someone. Hyukjae grinned, he’s so sure that woman was looking for him.

Hyukjae lifted his hand up and waved to her. “TIFFANY!”

That woman, Tiffany, heard Hyukjae’s voice and finally saw him. She took her luggage and walked again toward Hyukjae’s direction.

She got closer to Hyukjae, but she’s still busy talking to someone on the phone. Even Hyukjae could hear how loud her voice was.

“What? How dare you. We haven’t met for years and you just rejected to meet me just because oh-so-called-your-long-lost friend? Seriously, you’re not funny! Don’t you miss me at all?” Tiffany stopped next to Hyukjae.

Hyukjae became curious who’s talking to Tiffany right now. Why she looked so mad because that person didn’t want to meet her? He’s suddenly getting doubt to ask her out.

Tiffany was still talking. “Fine then, up to you. I’m tired. I just came back to Seoul too from my Busan journey. But we have to meet tomorrow okay? I don’t want to listen to your silly reason. Bye, take care of yourself!” She hung up her phone but then she glared at Hyukjae. “Oppa! How come you’re only standing without helping me to bring my luggage? Not a gentleman!” She pouted.

“Huh? Oh sorry!” Hyukjae just back to his senses and grabbed Tiffany’s luggage. “Who’s you’re talking to on the phone just now?”

“Yah! You should ask how about my trip, how my day is, but you asked a silly question!”

“Because you looked mad when you’re talking on the phone!”

“I just talked to my cousin who’s just came back to Seoul but refused to meet me!” She sighed.

“Cousin? Ehmmm…your cousin is a woman isn’t she?”

Tiffany looked at Hyukjae confusedly. “Yes. Why?”

Hyukjae just chuckled. “I just wanted to ask. Ah let’s go, my car is waiting for you!”

Tiffany was about to ask more, but Hyukjae pushed her back gently to make her walked.  As long as they walked to the parking lot, they kept silent. Tiffany was still mad because of her cousin so she didn’t really in a good mood to talk and Hyukjae was busy to calm his heart as he would to confess his feeling to her.

“Ehm Tiffany. Can you put your luggage into the trunk?” Hyukjae put Tiffany’s luggage on the ground.

Tiffany widened her eyes. “What?”

“I just told you to put this luggage into my car trunk!” Hyukjae smiled widely until his gummy was shown.

Tiffany opened . She didn’t believe what she just heard from the man next to her. All she thought was how jerk Lee Hyukjae was. How come he didn’t want to help a woman to put her luggage into the trunk? But Tiffany was too mad to complain. She lifted her luggage and brought it toward Hyukjae’s car trunk.

Tiffany put her luggage on the ground harshly. With anger in her head and heart, she opened up Hyukjae’s car trunk. But when the trunk has been opened, Tiffany moved back ward one step as curved into an ‘O’ and couldn’t hide her admiration.

The trunk, that has been opened by Tiffany, was decorated by many pink roses and red roses carnation in the middle which formed a heart shape. Tiffany covered and felt her heart was beating so fast. Hyukjae has already stood next to her with his red face.

“Oppa, what have you done with your trunk?” Tiffany asked but still looked at the roses.

Hyukjae grabbed Tiffany’s left hand and held it tightly. Tiffany turned to look at Hyukjae’s face confusedly.

Hyukjae left a deep sigh. “Tiffany, when you left me, I just realized that I can’t live without you. I..I can’t live a day without seeing your face. And it made me realize how I love you so much.”

Hyukjae looked at the ground, he was too embarrassed to look at Tiffany. They kept silent for a while until Tiffany giggled cutely.

Hyukjae looked at her confusedly. “Yah! Is that funny?”

“Of course it’s funny to see you right now. Lee Hyukjae is so cute when he’s being shy like this.” Tiffany kept giggling.

“Yah! But…I’m serious, Tiffany!” Hyukjae pouted.

Tiffany tightened her grip on Hyukjae’s hand and leaned closer to him to peck his right cheek. Hyukjae widened his eyes as he was so surprised with Tiffany’s peck.

“Tiffany?”

“Ehm?”

“What was that for?”

Tiffany slapped Hyukjae’s arm. “YAH! Why are you so stupid? It meant I love you too, Lee Hyukjae!”

“Really? Please pinch me. I’m not dreaming, aren’t I?”

“YAH!” Tiffany pinched Hyukjae’s arm hard.

“Ah yess yess it hurts, I’m not dreaming then.” Hyukjae chuckled. “So…will you be my girlfriend?”

They locked gaze for a while. And Hyukjae wanted to yell out loud when Tiffany nodded cutely.

“Oh My God. I can’t believe this. I thought you hated me all of this time. But you just accepted me as your boyfriend! Thank you. Really thank you, Tiffany!”

“I even don’t know why I love you, you know. I missed you so much when I was in Busan!” Tiffany gave her eyesmile. One of the reasons why Hyukjae adores her.

“Hahaha everybody misses Lee Hyukjae, Yeobo!” Hyukjae sticked her tongue out.

Tiffany laughed. “What just did you call me? So greasy!”

“I don’t care. Let’s go home now, your daddy must be wait for you right now!” Hyukjae closed the trunk. “You can take all the roses later!” Hyukjae winked and put Tiffany’s luggage on the back seat.

Hyukjae was about to start the engine when he suddenly frowned on his driver seat. Tiffany noticed something wrong with the man beside him.

“Yah Oppa! What’s wrong?”

Hyukjae gulped. “I forgot something!”

“Forgot what?”

“Part of my surprises for you! Aish..” Hyukjae slapped his forehead lightly.

“Ehm? Do you have another surprise?” Tiffany beamed.

Hyukjae took something from his pants’ right pocket then showed it to Tiffany. “I wanted to give this when confessed to you. But I forgot because I was too nervous before. I’m sorry. I failed!”

Tiffany was dumbfounded. A ring on Hyukjae’s hand. A silver ring with pink diamond heart. Tiffany felt her eyes were teary. “Oppa! You don’t have to do this! I will still accept you as my boyfriend even though you didn’t give me these surprises, as long as you confess that you love me, it’s enough for me!”

“But I wanted to give this to you!” Hyukjae smiled then grabbed Tiffany’s left hand and put the ring on her ring finger.

“Oh, how come this ring fits in me?” Tiffany looked at the ring on her finger surprisingly.

“People say, if a man wants to buy a ring for his woman but doesn't know the size, he shall try that ring on his little finger. And if that ring fits on his woman’s ring finger, it means both of them are meant to be for each other. It’s called destiny!” Hyukjae said proudly.

Tiffany couldn’t hide her happy smile. “Who taught you huh? Why are you so this romantic? Did something hit your head?”

Hyukjae laughed. “People say a man becomes romantic naturally when he’s really in love!”

“Yah Lee Hyukjae! Stop being greasy!” Tiffany covered her red face.

Hyukjae and Tiffany met four years ago, when Taeyeon introduced her new neighbor that just came back from US. Hyukjae actually was mesmerized with Tiffany’s beauty, especially her eye smiles, at their first meeting. But he showed his feeling by teasing and mocking at Tiffany's failed Korean and made Tiffany annoyed with him. But day by day, no one couldn’t predict when Cupid will throw his arrows. No matter how annoying Hyukjae was, he’s one of the reasons why Tiffany can laugh crazily and enjoy Seoul.

Hyukjae and Tiffany then clasped their fingers tightly. They glanced to each other and chuckled together. They still couldn’t believe yet that they would be an official couple that day.

 

 

At Seoul National University Hospital

A woman was sitting nervously in the hospital hallway. She squeezed her hands. She looked at the door close to her constantly. She wondered what is happening inside that room. A man just got out from the room. He smiled at her then sat on empty chair beside her. He put his hand around her shoulders.

“How is eomma, Oppa?”

“She’s still sleeping!” He smiled at her wife. “Do you want to have lunch, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon shook her head weakly. “I don’t want to eat for now, Oppa. I’m not hungry at all!”

Kangin hugged his wife and Taeyeon put her head on her husband’s chest. No words between them. They knew silence was the best for them. They were worried about Kangin’s eomma. Her lungs cancer became worse these days.

The door opened. And  a nurse, who’s already looked after Kangin’s eomma for three months, came out. “I’m sorry for bothering. Mrs. Kim just woke up and she wanted to meet you and your wife now!”

Taeyeon looked at his husband worriedly. “Oppa….”

“Let’s get in. Everything will be okay as long as we are together!” Kangin squeezes Taeyeon’s hand to give her strength.

Taeyeon held his husband’s hand tightly. They walked towards eomma’s room. Kangin opened the door for his wife and both of them couldn’t describe their feelings when they got closer to his eomma.

“Eomma, we’re here!” Kangin spoke, softly.

Kangin’s eomma turned her head weakly to his son’s direction. Taeyeon forced herself not to cry seeing her mother in law looked so fragile and skinnier. Despite how she hates Taeyeon so much, Taeyeon still respects her as her husband’s eomma.

Kangin’s eomma patted empty spot on her bed to give sign for Kangin and Taeyeon to get closer to her. The young couple moved closer to her. Taeyeon bowed 90 degrees to her mother in law.  Kangin helped Taeyeon to sit on the chair next to eomma’s bad while he standing beside his wife.

“Eomma..Annyeonghaseyo!” Taeyeon’s voice cracked.

Kangin eomma breathed heavily, she looked so suffered when she’s breathing. She looked at Taeyeon deeply.

“Kim Taeyeon!” Eomma said softly and forcefully, still with her heavy breath.

“Yes, Eomma!” Taeyeon spoke up, a little bit beamingly finally her mother in law finally called her name after long time.

Kangin’s eomma offered her hand toward Taeyeon. Taeyeon grabbed her hand quickly and put it on the bed while holding it softly.

Eomma looked at Kangin then turned to Taeyeon again. “Taeyeon. Maybe…it sounds shameless. I…I hated you. I never accepted you as part of my family. I…I always think…you’ve stolen my precious son from me.” She stopped for a while to catch a breath and her eyes were b. “It’s so funny. But now..I think you’re the only one who will love, care, and protect my son when I already died.”

Taeyeon opened and held eomma’s hand tighter. She couldn’t hide her tears anymore. “Eomma…please don’t say that! Please!”

“Eomma!” Kangin who’s standing beside Taeyeon also cried.

Kangin’s eomma released her hand from Taeyeon’s grip. She lifted her hand in front of crying Taeyeon. “Taeyeon, do you see this ring?” She showed a gold ring on her ring finger to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon nodded softly while wiping her tears. Eomma then put off that ring from her finger and took Taeyeon’s hand  to put it on Taeyeon’s palm hand. Taeyeon looked at her mother in law confusedly.

Kangin’s eomma took deep breath before speaking. “This ring was from my husband’s eomma. She said….she got this ring also from her mother in law. And now…you have to keep this ring, Taeyeon. Save this ring well. And please always love my son…..”

Taeyeon cried more. She kissed eomma’s hand. “Eomma, I’m sorry for what I have done to you. I’m sorry, Eomma. Please forgive me!”

Eomma coughed a little. “Don’t apologize. All you have to do is promise me to love Kangin when….I can’t love him anymore.”

Kangin suddenly cried out. “Eomma, what are you saying?”

Kangin bent down to hug her eomma’s legs tightly. Taeyeon only could cry more and more.

“Promise me, Taeyeon. Please promise me, so I can leave peacefully.”

“Eomma…Yes…I promise, Eomma. I promise I will love him till the end of time!” Taeyeon said while crying.

Eomma’s lips curved a little smile. She stared blankly at the ceiling. The heart monitoring showed her heartbeat became so weak.

“Eomma!!! Eomma!!!” Kangin shook his eomma’s body. “Eomma!!!”

Kangin ran outside the room and called the doctor loudly. No needed long time, a doctor with two nurses came. The doctor pressed eomma’s chest hard to make her heart back to normal. Kangin and Taeyeon were hugged in the corner of the room while crying. Taeyeon even didn't dare to look at eomma anymore and cried on Kangin’s chest.

Kangin became speechless when he saw the heart monitoring showed a long straight green line, which showed no heartbeat anymore. The doctor moved closer to the couple.

 “I’m really sorry to say this. Mrs. Kim just passed away! Our big condolences for her” The doctor bowed to them then patted Kangin’s shoulder.

Kangin ran to his eomma’s bed. He hugged her cold body tightly. “Eomma…why did you leave me? Eomma, please I haven’t made you happy yet. Eomma..!!!!” Kangin cried while hugged her eomma.

Taeyeon fell down on the floor and held her chest. “Eomma..Eomma, I’m sorry!”

Kangin and Taeyeon were really in sorrow. Too many regrets on their hearts. Kangin regretted because he feels he hasn’t done something to make his eomma happy. And Taeyeon regretted because she’s not a good daughter in law for her.

A nurse who’s already looked after Kangin’s eomma for those past three months in this hospital also couldn’t hide her tears. She knew from one of Kangin eomma’s relation about this couple who wasn’t accepted in the family. She seemed knowing the pain that was felt by this couple who cried in front her.

That nurse got out from the room quickly. She wiped her tears while leaning on the wall in the hospital’s hallway. She just realized something after seeing Kangin and Taeyeon. She knew, she has to do it for the sake of many people.

She grabbed her phone and started to type the text.

 

Oppa, let’s meet at 4PM. The usual place. See you

 

She sighed deeply and talked to herself. “Yes. You can do this. Fighting.”

 

 

At UPI Building

 

Oppa, let’s meet at 4PM. The usual place. See you

 

A man stared on the message that he received two hours ago. He turned to his watch. A half to four. He grabbed his coat on his office chair and walked hurriedly.

When he opened his office’s door, he almost bumped onto someone who would knock at the door. “Oh, Sungmin Hyung!”

“Kyuhyun, do you want to go home?”

“No, I have to meet someone. And you, is there something you want to talk to me?” Kyuhyun, the heir of Cho Group, asked him back.

“Actually, I wanted to tell you that I’m gonna leave first!” Sungmin smiled coyly.

“Oh do you want to go home?”

“Ehm no, I have to meet someone too!” Sungmin chuckled.

Kyuhyun looked at his ex sunbae in the university, and also the current marketing manager of his company. “A woman?” He smiled teasingly.

Sungmin scratched his hair. “Ummm yes, but she’s only a friend!”

Kyuhyun suddenly laughed. “Hyung, finally. This is the first time you’ll go out with woman again after breaking up with Sooyoung! Congratulations!”

“Yah, it’s not like what you’re thinking, Cho Kyuhyun! She’s only my friend. We haven’t met for long time!”

“But still, it’s woman! Finally, you’re not only hanging out with me anymore!” Kyuhyun still chuckled.

“Ah, it’s up to you then, you don’t have to believe me! And you… Are you going to meet her?”

Kyuhyun was being silent for a moment then nodded. “Yes. She texted me to meet her!”

Sungmin suddenly looked worried. “Kyuhyun, are you sure?”

“I’ve already two weeks without any communication with her after that incident. And I believe I need to talk a lot with her, Hyung!”

“But, how about if your parents will find out about it?”

“They won’t. Except you’re going to tell them!”

Sungmin punched Kyuhyun’s arm gently. “Yah, for what I have to do that? But be careful. Your parents’ spy is everywhere!”

 

 

 

Seoul Forest Park

Kyuhyun has already arrived to his favorite park to spend the time with his girlfriend. He sat on the bench under the cherry tree. It’s already 4.15 PM but his girlfriend hasn’t appeared yet. He wondered what’s happened to her, because he knows his girlfriend is the on time girl type.

“Kyuhyun oppa!”

Kyuhyun stood up and he saw his girlfriend walked to his direction. She wore flowery dress with pink cardigan, also  white flat shoes and brown shoulder bad. She looked so pretty as always. Kyuhyun smiled to see the one whom he missed so much. “Yoona!”

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I’m a bit late. One of my patients just passed away.”

“It’s okay, you’re not that late though. And I’m sorry to hear about your patient”

Both of them sat on the bench. They drown on their thought. No one started the conversation yet. So many thought they wanted to speak out until they didn’t know where to start.

“Yoona, how are you? Are you okay?” Kyuhyun started the conversation, thought he felt so dumb because he just asked something as he asks to a stranger

Yoona nodded. “I’m totally fine, Oppa!”

They were in silence again. It’s awkward for a couple who already together for almost one year.

 Kyuhyun and Yoona met when Kyuhyun got an accident and had to hospitalize for months in the hospital where Yoona works. And yes, Yoona was the nurse who got the duty to look after Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun fell for the beautiful and kind nurse who looked after him day and night. That nurse was one of the reasons why Kyuhyun got recovery quickly, but also the biggest reason why Kyuhyun didn’t want to leave the hospital. They became friends at first, as nurse and patient, but as the time went by they love each other naturally. The handsome, smart, and playfully Kyuhyun made Yoona’s heart beats faster every time she nears to him. They became official couple after Kyuhyun confessing his feeling the day before he left hospital.

But their love is not as beautiful as in drama or novel. Kyuhyun’s parents already warned him to stay away from Yoona when they noticed that they were so close. That’s why for almost a year, Kyuhyun concealed his relationship, only Sungmin and some of Yoona’s best friends who know about it. But Kyuhyun forgot that his family is one of almighty persons in Korea. They knew about their relationship and asked Kyuhyun to leave her as soon as possible. Of course Kyuhyun rejected their parents’ request. Kyuhyun even proposed Yoona in the romantic candle light dinner which made Yoona cried happily. The day after proposing, Kyuhyun brought Yoona to his home to introduce her formally as his future wife and to ask for his parents’ approval. Not approval they gave to their son’s relationship, but they mocked Yoona and told her that she only wants Kyuhyun’s money. They also asked Yoona to go as far as possible from their son or they will make her regret for the rest of her life. For two days in a row, Yoona cried again, but that day her tears were full of sorrow and pain.

It’s two weeks ago.  And it’s the first time they met again after those two weeks without communication at all.

“Oppa, I have thought a lot these days!” Yoona spoke up again.

“Ehm?” Kyuhyun looked at Yoona who looked straightly.

“I should know from the start, if our relationship was wrong. And I should realize that I don’t deserve you!” Yoona smiled bitterly.

“Yoona….”

“Wait, let me speak first, Oppa!” Yoona sighed. “I don’t want to give up on you, but this is the best for us. Actually I waited for your action these past two weeks, but you didn’t do anything for us. You even didn’t call me to give me strength. But it’s okay for me. If I were you, I will do the same thing. I will do what my parents ask. Sadly, I don’t have them. And I don’t mad at your parents. What they’ve done is totally right, no one family who will accept an orphan as their son’s wife. Moreover an orphan likes me who even don’t know who her parents are.”

Kyuhyun stared at Yoona blankly. “I’m sorry, Yoona. I didn’t do anything, because I don’t want they do something bad to you. But really, leaving you is the last option in my mind.”

Yoona bit her bottom lip. “If I have a choice, I don’t want to leave you too. I want to struggle for our love till the end. But there’s no choice for us, Oppa. It’s not only about us, it’s about your family too.”

“Yoona, you know how much I love you! Please just wait, everything will be alright. We can be together!”

“I don’t want to hurt your parents, Oppa. Parents are the most precious thing. You will know more if you were me. Most of all, you deserve someone better. Someone who will make you and your family happy. And that person is definitely not me.”

“But I only want you, Yoona!” Kyuhyun squeezes Yoona’s hand.

Yoona dared herself to look at Kyuhyun. “Oppa, if we are destined to be together, we will meet again in the beautiful opportunity, someday. But if we’re not, we’ll find our happiness in our each way.”

Kyuhyun left speechless. He really didn’t know what to do. He wanted to fight for Yoona and his love for her. But he also didn’t want Yoona suffers a lot because of his parents. Kyuhyun hugged Yoona tightly. “I’m sorry, Yoona. I’m sorry. I know you suffer a lot because of me. I’m the one who doesn’t deserve your true love.”

Yoona frowned in Kyuhun’s hug. She wanted to hug Kyuhyun back, but she scared if she did that she will back to the old Yoona who selfish and only thought about her own happiness.

Yoona released her body from Kyuhyun’s hug. She Kyuhyun’s left cheek and smiled. “Thank you, Oppa. You’ve given me a lot of happiness. And I was really really happy when we’re together. Our memories will be my treasure forever.”

Yoona placed the ring on Kyuhyun’s hand. The ring, that Kyuhyun gave her when he’s proposing her.

“Give this ring to the right woman, Oppa!” Yoona forced to smile.

Kyuhyun stared at the ring on his hand then turned to look at Yoona. “It’s a nightmare, isn’t it?”

Yoona shook her head lightly. “It’s reality, Oppa!”

Kyuhyun was being speechless again. “If this is what you want, I accept it. I let you go for now, because I don’t want you suffer and cry because of me. But if destiny wants us to be together someday, you’ll have to be mine until the end of this world.”

Yonna was really wanted to cry when she heard Kyuhyun's words. She knew that's impossible for them. Yoona forced herself to smile and offered her hand to Kyuhyun. “Thanks for everything, Oppa!”

Kyuhyun looked at Yoona's hand sadly before shook it tightly. “Thanks for giving me the opportunities to love and have you. I love you”

They locked gaze for a moment. It made Kyuhyun knew, he would miss those doe eyes so much.

Yoona pulled her hand. “I’ll leave first. Please take care of yourself.”

“You too. Promise me, you won’t cry anymore.”

Yoona smiled. “I promise. Goodbye…..Cho Kyuhyun oppa!”

Yoona stood up from the bench and started to walk. She looked at the bright sky to make sure that what she’s just done was right.

Kyuhyun looked at the back of the woman he loves which was getting further from her. He looked at the ring on his hand. He kept staring, until he didn’t realize the tear fell down on that ring.

 

 

At Namsan Tower

“Tiffany!!!”

A woman with cheerful voice was being heard by the people around her. But she didn’t care and kept talking loudly to her phone.

“Where are you right now? …… What? Hospital? Are you sick? ….. Oh your friend’s eomma just passed away? Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, Cousin! ….. Where am I? Haha~ it’s secret! ….. Yes, yes, I’m going to meet my long lost friend now! … Okay Tiffany baby, I’ll tell you all tomorrow okay? … Yes. See you tomorrow. Send my condolences to your friends and her family!”

She kept her phone on her pocket. When she turned her body to walk again, she bumped onto someone. Both of them fell on the ground. The man, who just bumped onto her, stood up hurriedly and offered his hand to help her stand up.

“I’m sorry. Are you okay?” That man asked.

She lifted her face up and they looked at each other. They both widened their eyes.

“Little Princess?”

“Hyung?” The woman stood up all of sudden.

“Oh my God, is this really you, Little Princess?” He shook her shoulders.

She nodded happily. “Yes, Hyung! It’s me!”

They were about to make their old high five, but they kept failing because they forgot some of the parts. They ended hugging awkwardly.

“It’s been long time.”

“Yes, Hyung. And I surprised you still recognize me!” She chuckled.

 “Of course, I know you. We met on Skype so many times. You always tag me in your Facebook’s pictures. Most of all, how can I forget your lovely eyes?”

“Haha, I see. But  Hyung, you’re the one who thinks my eyes are lovely."

Although they separated by distance and never met for almost 13 years, but they still had communication. Through me2day, Facebook, Kakao Talk, and even Skype when they had time to spend together on internet. Even they made promise in Namsan Tower that night through Kakao Talk.

“Ehm, wait!” She took something from her bag. “Here it is!!” She smiled widely until her eyes gone when she showed him something on her hand.

“Oh, you bring it too! Look!” He took the same thing from his pocket and showed her.

They looked at each other then burst into laughter. Their friendship symbols, the smiley rings were on their hands.

“Glad you still keep it!”

“I did what you’ve told me! Do you want me to lose it? But I was a bit surprise you still have it, because men sometimes don’t care with small thing like this. You’re different”

“I’ve told you to keep it so I have to do it too. And because I’m a gentleman!” He laughed.

She slapped his arm. “Don’t brag yourself, Hyung!”

Two persons, who passed in front of them, looked at them weirdly. It made they just realized something.

“They looked surprise when you’re calling me ‘hyung’!”

“I know right. Maybe it’s better if I called you.... Sungmin oppa?!” She giggled.

“So shall I call you Soonkyu?”

“I told you many times, no one calls me like that anymore. People call me Sunny. Lee Sunny!” She said while putting her hands on her waist.

“Ehm.. Little Princess Sunny?” He looked at her playfully.

“It sounds good, Hyung!”

“Yah! You just called me Hyung again”

“Ooops, I have to use it first to call you Oppa!”

Sungmin chuckled. “Actually I don’t mind at all, you can call me with what makes you comfortable. Hey Little Princess, want to have dinner? You can buy whatever you want! Treat from your…. OPPA” Sungmin said and emphasized the ‘oppa’.

Sunny laughed out loud then nodded happily. Sungmin gave his arm to her and Sunny understood what he meant. She linked her arm to him and they both walked happily to the one famous restaurant nearby.

 

 

 

On The Way to Mokpo

The train was running slowly. So peacefully, with beautiful green view outside. Donghae was one of the passengers on that train. He preferred to go to Mokpo by train because he missed the views that he’s seeing.

He sat alone at the last seat at the last carriage. Not much people on that train. Donghae smiled as he saw the green views. The trees, the field, and also flowers made his heart calm. Actually he planned to sleep on train, because he hasn’t slept much the last day at funeral home. He spent the night at the place to accompany Kangin and Taeyeon, along with the new couple Hyukjae and Tiffany. But he ruined his plan. He couldn’t sleep at all on train, because the beautiful views were too beautiful to ignore. And also he couldn’t wait to come to Mokpo soon.

Donghae suddenly remembered the first time he left Mokpo for Seoul. He went to Mokpo alone after graduated from high school. He got recommendation from his first boss at the pastry shop there to learn about pastry. His boss recommended Donghae to his best friend who owns one of famous pastry shops in Seoul, because he saw Donghae has potential at pastry.

Donghae had worked at one pastry shop in Mokpo during his high school. He worked there to help his eomma after his appa died when he was in the first year of high school. He had worked hard there. His hardworking and his passionate in pastry made his first boss admire him and encouraged him to go to Seoul.

With his eomma’s approval, Donghae went to Seoul. He worked and learned how to bake well from his new boss. Not needed much time, he became one of his boss’ favorite students. He won some of baking contests in Seoul and his new invention of cake became one of favorite cakes at that shop. His new boss  told him, he needed to enlarge his experience, so he would let Donghae to open his own pastry shop if he wants. Kangin then wanted to help Donghae to open a new pastry shop by giving some investments, because Kangin knows Donghae is so talented in baking and also Taeyeon had talent in cake decoration. Donghae moved out from his last pastry shop and opened his own “Pastry’s Generation”.

Donghae opened his bag beside him and took something. A little red box. He opened it and the golden ring was on it. Donghae smiled widely and looked so satisfied with that ring. Then he put the box inside his bag again and hugged his bag tightly.

 

 

At Mokpo

The train has already stopped in Mokpo’s railway station. Donghae got out from the train. He opened his arms widely and closed his eyes to feel the air of Mokpo. And he smelled the sea, one of things that he missed a lot from Mokpo.

Donghae put the bag on his shoulder and brought the big package. He walked in full spirit to his house which is not far away from the station.

Donghae said hi to the children he met at the alley towards his house, although he was sure those children didn’t recognize him at all. He just liked hearing the Mokpo accent from them. Ten more houses, Donghae said to himself and started counting.

One.

Two.

Three

Four

Five.

Six.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine.

And…..

Donghae put his package on the ground and stopped in front of small house at the corner of the alley. The house where he spent his childhood and teenage life. The house where he got much love from his appa, eomma, and hyung. The house that hasn’t changed at all.

Donghae opened the fence carefully. He felt his heart beat faster when he knocked the door. The door was opened slowly and a woman whom he missed more than everything in this world was standing in front of him with opened mouth.

“Donghaeyah! Is that you? Omo~ My son!” His eomma suddenly cried and ran to Donghae’s hug.

“Eomma!!” Donghae lifted his eomma’s body and hugged her very tight, as he didn’t want to let his eomma goes.

“Omo, my son is coming!” She cupped Donghae’s face. “How are you, My son? You look fatter!” She chuckled in her tears. “Why you haven’t told me first you will come?”

“It's surprise! I miss you so much, Eomma!” Donghae kissed his eomma’s forehead.

“I miss you too, Dear. Come in please. Omo~ you bring big package!”

Donghae refused his eomma’s help to bring the package. “I can bring it, Eomma!”

The two then sat on the small family room. Eomma’s touched Donghae’s cheek. “Are you really okay there? I’m sorry I haven’t gone to Seoul yet to see your pastry shop!”

“I’m really okay, Eomma. Like you said, I got fat! Eomma looks beautiful as always! Where’s hyung?”

“He worked, Donghaeyah!” She held his son’s hands. “Eomma is really happy you go home. I miss you a lot, My son. And thank you for taking care of yourself care in Seoul”

Donghae grabbed his eomma to his embrace once again. “Eomma!”

Donghae then took the package and opened it. “I brought a lot of cookies and new clothes for you and hyung.”

Eomma took one of jars. “Have you made it?”

“I made all these cookies. I don’t bring a cake, but I’ll make it here for you later!” Donghae smiled. “Oh Eomma, is this dress fits on you?” Donghae showed a dress that he bought in Dongdaemun last week.

His eomma nodded happily. “I think so. This dress is beautiful. Thank you so much!”

“Glad Eomma likes it. I wish Hyung will like this jacket too.”

“He will. Your hyung misses you so much!”

“I miss him too, Eomma. I miss to hehe! Ehm Eomma, I have one more thing for you!” Donghae took something from his bag and gave it to his eomma.

Eomma widened her eyes when she received the little red box from Donghae. Her eyes went bigger when she saw the beautiful golden ring inside it. “What is this, Donghae?”

“It’s a ring, Eomma. It’s for you!”

“But, it looks so expensive. Why did you give this for Eomma? You should save your money. You should’ve not bought this ring for me. This old woman doesn’t need this!” Her eyes looked teary.

“Eomma, I know it’s nothing compared what you’ve given to me. But I just want to make you sure that all you’ve done was worth.”

“What do you mean, Son?”

Donghae held his eomma’s hands. “Eomma, I knew you sold your wedding ring and used it for me and hyung! I was so sad when knowing you did that. You sold one of appa’s memories for the sake of your sons. That’s why, I promised myself to buy you a ring if I had money. I know it’s not as worth as your wedding ring, but please accept it, Eomma.”

Tears were falling down from her eyes. She couldn’t describe how proud she was. “Thank you Donghae. Thank you.” She hugged her son tighter than ever and cried in his hug.

“I should the one who said thank you. Thank you Eomma, for being the best eomma for me. Thank you for loving me. Really thank you for everything!”

The son and mom were still hugged tightly. Both of them are happy and proud for having each other.

 

 


ps: i do not own the pictures above