Saved

Shine For Me

As soon as we stepped out of the apartment of the kind lady, I knew that I needed to get a job. I had no phone, no relatives, and a brother to feed. I counted our money. I didn't know how much it would cost to book a hotel or ask for a night's home, but I was determined to get a job, any job that paid, by this week. 

We went door to door, explaining our situation and asking for help. No one wanted to keep their doors open to the heat and a couple of ragged children. I checked my iPhone. It was already 8:30 and we hadn't had a single person who showed mercy. I sighed. Joseph said he was hungry, so we went to a nearby bakery and ordered a sandwich and pastry. While Joseph ate, I noticed a sign that read : Notice: Hiring workers from age 18 and up. Experience not required. Housing can be provided for a small fee.

Bingo I thought.

When Joseph was finished, I went up to one of the workers and asked them if I could be hired. I explained my situation and tried to be as polite as I could. The worker sighed with relief and grinned widely.

"Yeah. I'll get the boss. Wait here and watch the stand for a few mintues, please. You're going to work here anyways so might as well get used to it,"

"Thanks. I'll be thankful for some training." I said, smiling.

It was already 9 so there weren't a lot of people. When the last customer left, the worker came back out and closed the door. She motioned for me to follow her to the back of the kitchen and we did. 

"You must be our new employee, Park Ga In?"

I nodded and was surprised a how easily my Korean name came to me. 

Instincts I thought From long ago.. When...

"You seem to be in a pitiful state. Where are your parents?"

"Dead and gone sir. I need a job to take care of my brother and I. I also would like to know if there is a middle school around here. My brother needs to go to school,"

I felt Joseph's grip tighten around my wrist. The man smiled warmly and handed me a black and white uniform and a pin where there was a spot to write my name. The pin seemed to evoke an eerie feeling of recognization, but I'd seen the bakery a couple times in New York, so I let the feeling pass.

The housing turned out to be a small, two-room sized apartment which we shared with the worker who I first talked to. Her name was Jung Ha Ni and she also came from America, so we spoke freely in English. She was very nice to us and promised to take good care of us; she even promised to teach us a bit of Korean (scratch that-- Teach ME Korean because Joseph spoke Korean with our parents and would survive in school).

That night, as Joseph's breathing slowed to peacefulness of sleep, I wept.

Wept for all that we had thrown away to come here, for Dad's death and Mom leaving us, and that our grandparents couldn't help us. I had brought my brother and I into a whole new country a whole to environment and a whole new world. Could we ever go back? When Mom came back and took us back to New York? Could I be the same old Katie Park and not Park Ga In?

Only time would tell.