Gone

Shine For Me

He's dead, he's gone, and he left you nothing. Face it.

He's.. dead?

He's... gone??

What?

What??! 

WHAT??!!

NO....

This was the only thing I could think of as I rode the bus to Joseph's soccer practice.

"Run those feet of yours! Run them till they burn! Faster! Faster!"

I went up to Coach Riley, Joseph's soccer coach. After a moment of silence, I said quietly

"I need to pick up Joseph, please,"

"And why on earth do you need that? So Joseph can get a break from soccer practice because Coach Wiley is too stwict and scawy??? Don't underestimate me. You hear me young lady?"

"I need to pick up Joseph! Shut up and dismiss him!", I screamed out of frustration.

The entire soccer team stopped running. Glaring at me, but now a bit afraid he called for Joseph.

Holding me firmly by the arm, he said,

"Girl. Tell me why and I'll let you go just fine. Now talk!"

"Our Dad's dead. You hear me, sir? Do I need to repeat that? Just let us go!"

I grabbed Joseph by the arm and took advantage of Riley's dumbfounded expression to walk away. I didn't look back, but judging by the thundering noise behind us, I could tell that the kids were running toward us to crowd around Coach Riley.

Joseph was usually quiet so I wasn't surprised when he didn't make comment about my outburst towards Riley. As we endured the bus ride home, we were silent, clutching each others hands the whole way.

When I got home, my mom's car was not parked in its usual place. I guessed that she was still at the place that she needed to go. I told Joseph to wash up and that he didn't have to do his homework today. He was so preoccupied, he forgot to even shout hurray. 

An hour passed. I made Joseph and myself a sandwich and we waited for our mom to come home. 

"Katie noona, can I go upstairs for a minute? I think I left my book in mom and dad's room. I'll be right back,"

I nodded. There was a long pause, but Joseph hadn't moved.

"Okay, I'll come with you. It's okay, Katie noona is here," I rarely addressed myself as noona to him, but i knew would comfort him and we walked up the stairs to the master bedroom. 

What I first noticed was that the bedroom was very clean and empty. A flipped up corner of carpet gave me the impression that someone had been trying to close the closet door too quickly. I opened the closet and frowned when I found the light on. Our parents were very neat people and never left these things on.  But I guessed that my mom was really distracted. 

"Noona!"

I went to my brother. He was holding a white envelope with a note and some money.

The note read:

Dear Katie and Joseph,

I know both of you are very stressed out and worried. I understandyou, but you guys cannot cling onto this forever. Here is some money that can get you to Korea and help you find your Grandma and Grandpa in Seoul. I would go with you, but we cannot afford to. Yes, I know you must be confused right now. Your father dies from stress knowing that his company was going broke. He left us with nearly no money at all. Pack your things and get to the airport immediately. As for me, I willbe looking for work in America and will bring you back here when I can afford to live with you guys.

I love you and never separate from each other. Katie, I trust you to take care of your brother and be patient until I come get you. I'm sorry for the suddenness, but it was the only way.

Love, 

Mom

For a second, I was frozen. I didn't even realize that I was shaking. Then, I got to my senses. Taking the money out of the envelope, I clutched the note tightly and said,

"Joseph, pack your things. We're going to Korea,"