Seeing yellow

Chemistry

 

G-Dragon.

 

 

I see everything in music and colors. From the moment I wake up, to all the times in between, until I finally go back to bed again. Sometimes the world is a jagged guitar screech that leaves a maroon imprint; sometimes it resounds with a tinkling of bells weaved with soft lime. 

 

Today, it felt like distasteful mash-up of LMFAO and Chopin.

 

And if you were there during a pre-production meeting for my second solo album, you’d know what I mean. The usual suspects were there: YG, Teddy, Choice 37 and my motley crew of producers, choreographers, stylists and hangers-on. It was that mix of talent, passion and creativity: otherwise a good mix but as always when it was at this stage of production --ie.when the concept and the budget have yet to be decided-- tempers and tensions ran high.

 

“Hello everyone, sorry I’m a bit late. The shoot for Etude ran a bit longer than expected.”

 

There was a slight change in the atmosphere when we all heard that voice. Nothing earth-shattering, but a shift nonetheless. But then again, she had always had that effect. Calming. Soothing. In my case, there was a sudden burst of yellow. 

 

And suddenly, the argument about the concert’s main fashion designer (I’ve had enough of Balmain and Jeremy Scott is too 2NE1) seemed… silly. Sandara Park, the Fresh Princess has arrived. Respect. There was probably no other way to explain why everyone – from a powerful CEO to an artistically temperamental stylist—all literally stop, smile and shut up just to welcome Sandara Park.

 

We all knew her story:  douchebag father, family breadwinner, celebrity and eventual has-been in the Philippines and now a certified k-pop superstar. Outside of the company, no one knows that Sandara Park is actually the unofficial leader of 2NE1, her quirky me2day posts are actually part of her responsibility as a PR& Communications Manager of YG Entertainment or that like Se7en, she has pledged more than half her income to become a company stockholder. And all these while doing aegyo and pretending to be half as smart as she actually is. Like I said, respect.

 

“So has anything been decided yet?” asked Sandara. My manager then gave her a cursory rundown of my album concept. There was a ling silence right after because even if we -- if I -- admitted it or not, we were all waiting for what this slip of a girl would think. 

 

" It's too safe, it's boring and you, Kwon Jiyong should know better."