04

The Road Trip

 

“Ah right, I forgot to ask about your job, Woohyun!”

 

Woohyun raised a quizzical brow. “What about my job?”

 

“Doojoon hyung said you got into NK Design?” asked Minhyuk, and Woohyun only nodded in reply. “But I thought you mentioned before that you want to keep working for Seungyeon sunbaenim?”

 

Chorong stopped on her tracks upon hearing the name. She tried not to make herself appear obvious by busying herself fiddling her fingers on her phone, typing away things that do not really make sense. Even so, Woohyun still noticed her. He shrugged at Minhyuk who was still awaiting his answer and looked away. “You can’t have everything you want, even if it’s right there in front of our eyes. That’s the reality of this world we’re living in, Minhyuk.”

 

---

 

It was when the coffee was almost filling up the pot that he heard the chair creaking. He glanced to the other side of the small apartment turned office where her table was and saw her slowly sitting up straight and coming back to her senses while looking around, the blanket he placed over her back a couple of hours ago still hanging on her shoulders.

 

“Good morning,” he greeted.

 

It was rather dark in the room since the sun has yet to rise, with the only source of lights coming from her computer screen and the dim bulb in the tiny kitchen, so they could hardly see each other’s face. Yet he can still imagine her short hair being messy and out of place and the dark circles along with the bags underneath her eyes.

 

“Coffee?”

 

“What time is it?”

 

“Enough time for you to go wash up and change and catch the daybreak,” he answered while placing a cup of steaming coffee in front of her and a thin file next to it. “Here’s the final report of the project. I finished it just a while ago, and I’ve faxed the completed design to them along with the materials checklist and bill ― don’t worry, I checked the whole thing three times before sending. I think you should be able to expect a phone call from them later as a confirmation. All remaining work regarding this project is finished now ― everything, done while you were sleeping.”

 

There was a satisfied grin on his face as he concluded his speech. With his hands folded across his chest, his eyes were twinkling, seeming like a little child waiting for praise after completing a task. Seungyeon flipped and scanned through the pages before taking a sip of her coffee. Her face turned into a grimace. “How much sugar did you put in?”

 

“One.”

 

“I thought I told you I like three.”

 

“Too much sugar is bad for you. And your excessive intake of caffeine isn’t helping.”

 

“Says the person who can’t live a day without a can of coffee.”

 

“You should be thankful I at least put in sugar.”

 

She put the cup down, closed the file and lifted her gaze to meet his. “Woohyun-ah, before you leave the office later, return your keys to me.”

 

“Why?”

 

“This project is done, so I won’t be needing any extra help anymore. Besides you deserve working for a better company than can provide you with a better position and proper salary rather than staying cooped in this small office.”

 

“Seungyeon-ssi―”

 

“Ah, I think Hwangmin Architecture has been interested in you since that time when we were working together. I can write a recommendation letter for you, but I don’t think that’ll be necessary.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m sorry for the short notice, but I’m laying you off. Thank you for all your hard work. I really, truly appreciate your assistance.”

 

Silence fell between them. Neither spoke anything or even moved for a moment. He stared at her face which was illuminated by the screen light, her pale skin and tired eyes still visible despite the dimness. Woohyun exhaled a sigh and smiled bitterly. “Am I not good enough?” he asked. “I know I can never replace him, but at least, just at least, am I not a good enough reason for you to stop living in the past and start walking forward?”

 

“Woohy―”

 

He fished the set of keys from his pocket and slammed it down on the table, cutting her off. “Thanks for the opportunities you offered and everything you’ve taught me. I’ll gain more experiences outside and learn more things to fill up the places where I lack. By the time I’ve improved and matured, I’ll come back. Just wait. You’ll see, I’ll come back for you, noona.”

 

--

 

He stopped the van at one of the empty spots in the parking area. The place was crowded despite it being a weekday. “It’s summer,” Joohee reasoned. “Everyone is taking advantage of the sun and the good weather.”

 

Doojoon stretched his arms the soon he stepped out of the vehicle. “Someone should take over the driving job for a while. I could use some rest,” he said before letting out a yawn.

 

“It’s only been two days!”

 

“If you think it’s that easy then you try driving. Oh wait, you failed your test, didn’t you?”

 

“Cut it out, you two!” Hoya scolds the older two as he closed the door behind him while Minhyuk who was standing next to him only chuckled at their banter.

 

They made a stop at a highway rest area for brunch and to refresh themselves up. Many groups of people were there, flocking the eateries and every available stall to stock up on food. Several buses were in sight, including two school buses. Woohyun alighted from the van with one hand over his head to shield his eyes from the blinding sun. On his left, he saw Bomi grabbing Chorong the second the latter got off, saying something about wanting the older girl to accompany her to the ladies’ before storming away, dragging Chorong along.

 

“Where are you two going?” Joohee yelled from the other side.

 

“Toilet!” replied Bomi hastily without turning around. “Save some food for us!”

 

Woohyun cocked his head to one side and continued to watch the two girls running, one hand shoved into his pocket. More cars were filling the parking area as some others were leaving the place. Loud chatters and giggles could be heard in the air.

 

“Woohyun!”

 

He turned around at the sound of his name.

 

“Are you coming?”

 

“I am,” he answered before quickening his pace to catch up with his friends.

 

--

 

“Your galbi dolsot ― don’t worry, I made sure they added extra red pepper paste and left out the bean sprouts,” Minhyuk explained as he placed the bowl in front of Joohee and the cutleries on the bowl.

 

“If I find any bean sprout you’re eating the whole thing,” she told him, picking up the chopsticks and spoon.

 

He occupied the seat next to her as he took his own bowl from the tray with a grin. “There isn’t any, trust me.”

 

She smiled at him in response. Before she could add more, Woohyun and Doojoon came with their own respective meal, filling the seats opposite them. Hoya came a while later, shortly before Bomi arrived from the restroom. Her eyes went back and forth from and to the two empty spots, one next to Hoya and the other next to Doojoon.

 

“What’s wrong?” Minhyuk asked, noticing her knitted brows.

 

She shook her head. “Nothing,” she replied, before slipping in next to her brother.

 

“Why are you alone? Where’s Chorong?”

 

“She was still in the queue after I got out, so she told me to go ahead first since it was too crowded.”

 

“What are you gonna have?” Hoya asked her upon seeing her being the only one without food yet.

 

“I… uh, I’m not― I don’t know. Joohee-unnie’s looks good.”

 

“Wait here then. I’ll go buy it for you.”

 

Surprised at his offer, her eyes widened. “No, you don’t have to. Your food will get cold.”

 

“That’s alright. You just came back from a long queue. Besides I like my food a little cold so that it’s easier to eat.” With that, he got up from his seat and turned away, heading off to buy her meal.

 

The rest of them carried on eating without saying another word to each other, surrounded by the deafening clamour inside the food court. It wasn’t until about ten minutes later after Hoya returned with Bomi’s food that Doojoon spoke up. “But Chorong is taking too much time. I wonder if she’s alright?” He glanced back to look at the entrance and around the place to search for her, before turning his attention to the boy next to him. “Can you go look for her just in case?”

 

“Why me?” Woohyun frowned.

 

“You’re the only one who’s done eating.”

 

“But I’m a guy! Tell Joohee to go instead.”

 

“I still haven’t finished, can’t you see?” she pointed at the remaining contents of her bowl.

 

“But… but―”

 

“Just go!” Joohee kicked him under the table while Doojoon pushed him away.

 

Woohyun made his way out half-heartedly, one hand scratching the back of his neck. The weather was scorching hot outside, so he didn’t really want to leave the comfort of the air-conditioned food court. He pushed his way through several groups as he read the signs directing him to the restrooms, but before he could make a turn, he spotted Chorong at one of the stalls on the sidewalk.

 

“Woohyun? What are you doing here?” she asked upon seeing him approaching and quickly regretted her question when she remembered that they were travelling together.

 

“They wanted me to look for you,” he replied nonchalantly. “Where have you been?”

 

“I was passing by and I saw these,” she showed him the small plastic bag she was holding and handed it to him. “Here. You like tako balls, right?”

 

He raised a quizzical brow. “How did you know?”

 

“Don’t you remember? When we were in charge as a part of the committees during the spring festival in our university one of the stalls sold these. But you were too busy you didn’t even have time to go buy some, and when you finally had your break they’ve already run out. You were so upset that you refused to eat anything later.”

 

“And then at 2AM I went knocking on Minhyuk’s door because I was too hungry,” he finished it with a smile as they recalled the memory. “But wasn’t that two years ago?”

 

She only shrugged and looked away. “I guess I have a good memory.”

 

“Chor―”

 

“Let’s go. Didn’t you say they are waiting?”

 

--

 

The seven of them sat at the table in the middle of the clamour, creating their own noise with the stories and recollections they were sharing.

 

Chorong stole glances at Woohyun and he tried not to notice, and Bomi kept her stare ahead, while Minhyuk’s eyes crinkled into a smile every time Joohee burst out laughing. Doojoon studied every face at the table and smiled to himself.