The Wedding Song

The Wedding Song

“Please welcome Mr. and Mrs. Shim Changmin!”

                A happy round of applause resounded throughout the spacious, elegantly decorated ballroom as the two heavy, double doors were swung open, revealing the night’s most blissful couple. A -eating grin was plastered proudly on Changmin’s face as he took his first step inside the cold room, greeted by the most loving family and friends; his hand tightly clasping a slightly smaller one. Choi Sooyoung stepped inside after her husband; a dazzling smile lighting up her beautiful face.

                Confetti was thrown above them for the second time that day as they walked down the short aisle; soft and quick hellos and thank you’s exchanged between the couple and a few of the guests they passed by. They reached the dance floor, welcomed by a happy and proud smile on the night’s MC and good friend, Kim Heechul. Sooyoung’s eyes absently fleeted past the bridal table, where both sets of parents sat along with the maid of honor and best man, Choi Soojin and Jung Yunho, absently noting the white screen and projector standing near the wedding cake, facing everyone in the ballroom. Her eyes went wide in excitement as she gave the four-layered cake a once-over. She was more than excited to get a taste of it.

“Before we start with the night’s festivities, we would like to hear a word from the newlywed couple.” Heechul smiled before handing the microphone to Changmin.

“Uh… Hi.” Changmin began awkwardly, causing the guests of laugh. “Sooyoung and I would like to thank everyone who made it and are able to share this special day with us. It really means so much to the both of us and we really can’t thank you all enough. I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening.”

                Changmin handed Sooyoung the microphone, wordlessly asking if she wanted to say something. She merely shook her head and smiled. He nodded, handing the object to Heechul instead; the older man taking over as they couple went to the bridal table. Immediately greeted by their parents, Soojin and Yunho, Changmin helped Sooyoung with the long, ruffled train of her gown, waiting until she was seated before sitting down himself. Proper introductions were made and Yunho left his chair, bringing along a piece of paper with him. Changmin could only roll his eyes, half-excited and half-dreading what was to come.

“First of all, Min, I wanna thank you for picking me as your best man. I know you said it was hard picking between the four of us… but we all know you just said that to make them feel better.” Laughter echoed throughout the ballroom and Kim Jaejoong, Kim Junsu, and Park Yoochun, Changmin’s three other best friends, could only send Yunho half-hearted withering glares. “Anyone on this Earth who knows the both of you know that where Shim Changmin is, Choi Sooyoung is and vice versa. Some people would know more about you two and everything you had to go through to get to this point. Some people would even know much less… but if there is one thing for certain, everyone who knows either or both of you knows how much you two love each other and deserve each other.”

“You know I’ve never been easily sentimental over anything but when I woke up this morning, the first thing that popped into my mind was ‘holy , our maknae is getting married today’. It came crashing down on me that you no longer are that tall, lanky boy and you’re all grown up and getting married to the most beautiful woman you’ve laid your eyes on.” Yunho grinned as he continued. “You’ve come a long way, Min. You’ve gone through so much in life and you came out always a better person. I know it wasn’t easy, Min, especially recently…”

Yunho grew somber yet he forced a cheerful smile on his face. “Every choice you made, every pain you took, every achievement you’ve gained brought you where you are today. Every choice you made, every pain you took, every achievement you’ve gained got you Sooyoung and I don’t think it’s a lie when I say you two deserve each other.”

“Choi Sooyoung.” His eyes turned to the beautiful bride. “It was harder for me to accept that you were growing up and getting married. You have always been my best friend, my little princess… and it doesn’t mean you’re now somebody else’s queen, you’re no longer my little princess.”

Tears welled up in Sooyoung’s eyes as her eyes stayed locked with Yunho’s. “You see, I’m essentially a selfish person… and I’m most selfish when it comes to you. When I met you back when you were that little tomboyish girl I saw in the public park on that winter afternoon, I had this whole picture painted in my mind that we’d grow up and be best friends forever and be by each other’s side until we’re old and wrinkly. It’s always going to be Sooyoung and Yunho. But life isn’t like that and now you’ve found that someone you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. So, Shim Changmin… I’m willing to share with you. Just share. Because she’s my best friend and I can’t just give her away like that.”

The tears that were threatening to spill from her eyes finally fell; Changmin’s shaking hand giving her his handkerchief as he fought his own tears. “I wish the two of you the best days, weeks, months, years, decades to come. May you always be happy and healthy. Love each other as if each day is the last day you get to do so. Congratulations, Soo. Congratulations, Min. Be happy and I love both of you.”

                Yunho handed Heechul the microphone; the MC thanking the best man in behalf of everyone as the latter made his way back to the bridal table. Changmin met him mid-way and everyone looked on as the two men embraced each other; whispered words going between them as Jaejoong, Junsu and Yoochun looked on with identical smiles on their faces. Changmin had let go first, allowing Yunho to head to the table first before he followed behind. Sooyoung soon found herself on her feet and in Yunho’s arms; her tears spilling down her face.

“I love you, oppa.” She said softly against her ear as she wrapped her arms around him tightly. “You’ll always be the best brother I never got to have.”

“I love you too, princess.” The dark haired man pulled away carefully and smiled, wiping her tears away with the pads of his thumbs. The pair and Changmin soon resumed their seats as Heechul finished the introductions and Soojin took the microphone.

                The whole ballroom fell silent as Soojin said her speech; the older Choi bringing the crowd in alternate laughter and tears as she reminisced of how it was when it was just her and her sister with the whole world beneath their feet. Her half-joking warnings at Changmin when it came to making her baby sister cry earned her laughter and applause – sans a wide-eyed Changmin, who seemed to take everything seriously.

“At some point in your life, you wonder if there’s something out there worth living for… if after all the work, heartache, tears and disappointments, there’s still something more.” Soojin sent the newlyweds a beaming smile as tears formed in her eyes. “Then I look at you two and I know there is. Be patient. Be loving. Be giving. Be the Changmin and Sooyoung we’ve always know. Be healthy. Be happy… because everyone knows you two deserve it.”

                Another round of applause came from those in attendance as Soojin handed the microphone back to Heechul; Sooyoung leaving her seat to greet her only sister with a tight hug. Hired photographers happily snapped away at the beautiful moment; Soojin pulling back slightly to wrap an arm around her sister’s waist and led her back to the bridal table where their teary-eyed parents were. Sooyoung finally found herself smiling more as she realized the time for dinner was up next; a confused look soon replacing her smile when Heechul said otherwise.

“Before we all go off and stuff our faces with the delicious food prepared specially by Kim Ryeowook, Kim Jaejoong and Han Geng, we will make time for one last segment before dinner.” Heechul smiled as curiosity and confusion filled the air. “May we please call back to the floor the groom, Mr. Shim Changmin.”

“Oppa, what’s happening?” Sooyoung asked her husband as she caught him by the wrist before he could even make the move to stand up.”

                He merely smiled; half-heartedly, she noticed, for his eyes had gone more serious and even somber. Changmin dropped a kiss on her forehead as he left the bridal table. Soojin and Yunho had carried their seats and sat down behind her; both reaching out to hold either of her hands. Sooyoung could tell they knew what was happening. With the microphone in his hand and Heechul retreating back to his seat, Changmin stood by the white screen. A familiar melody began to resonate throughout the ballroom as he brought the microphone to his lips.

If I never knew you
If I never felt this love
I would have no inkling of
How precious life could be

And if I never held you
I would never have a clue
How at last I’d find in you
The missing part of me

Tears pooled again in Sooyoung’s eyes. It was Pocahontas’ If I Never Knew You.

In this world so full of fear
Full of rage and lies
I can see the truth so clear
In your eyes

Changmin’s eyes met hers and he softly smiled as he sang. “So dry your eyes.”

Sooyoung chuckled; her hand leaving her sister’s a she reached up to wipe her tears.

And I’m so grateful to you
I’d have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

                Suddenly the lights dimmed and the projector came to life from where it was suspended from the ceiling; Changmin lowering the microphone in his grasp. Sooyoung heard Yunho’s sharp intake of breath and curiosity once again arose in her. A gasp left her lips as the white screen projected a smiling Cho Kyuhyun. He was on a bed; his body hooked to machines on either side of him. His hair was so short and he looked so pale. But he was smiling… and he began to sing.

If I never knew you
I’d be safe but half as real
Never knowing I could feel
A love so strong and true

I’m so grateful to you
I’d have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

Changmin once again brought the microphone to his lips as he sang with that one best friend who he hadn’t seen in over a year.

I thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we’d make the whole world bright
I never knew that fear and hate could be so strong
All they’d leave us were these whispers in the night
But still my heart is saying we were right.

Oh, if I never knew you
(There’s no moment I regret)
If I never felt this love
(Since the moment that we met)
I would have no inkling of
(If our time has gone too fast)
How precious life can be
(I’ve lived at last)

Changmin belted the higher notes; Kyuhyun’s own voice coming out of the speakers soon after. A sob escaped Sooyoung’s lips as she watched her husband and her other best friend’s performance; Yunho squeezing her hand comfortingly. His other arm was wrapped around Soojin as the elder Choi tried to stifle her own cries. Those who knew, who understood had tears streaming down their faces; unexplainable feelings filling everyone’s heart.

I never thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we’d make the whole world bright
I thought our love would be so beautiful
We’d turn the darkness into light
And still my heart is saying we were right.

“We were right.” Changmin sang with everything he had as he reached the of the song. “And If I never knew you, I’d have live my whole life through.”

“Empty as the sky.” Kyuhyun sang after and despite the smile on his face, a lone tear rolled down from his eyes.

Never knowing why
Lost forever
If I never knew you

                Changmin lowered his head; his own tears spilling down his face as the last few seconds of If I Never Knew You played throughout the room. Unable to hold back her tears and her sobs, Sooyoung could care of she looked like a mess as she looked at her husband and that best friend of theirs that brought them together at the first place; her heart constricting at how the performance was so beautiful and shattering at the same time.

Kyuhyun looked straight at the camera and smiled. “I told you I’d make it to your wedding."

o-o-o-o-o

Lyrics used in this song is from If I Never Knew You by Jon Sicada and Shanice, which was used as the soundtrack for Disney's Pocahontas

To fully appreciate the beauty and impact of the song, I suggest you listen to it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1eMV-QQIY