Early Birthday Pt. 2

Unaware Of Fate

The sun is setting. I've taken her to the main destination for today. But how are we supposed to sleep together. Together? I must have gone crazy from all the happiness today. I'm not sharing the same bed with another woman. Not now at least. If I did reveal it to one of my members, wouldn't it be weird? If I do so happen to explain the fact that yes - we 'slept together' - they'd still think about actually being intimate. I can't. No. Who said I was going to sleep on the same bed as her in the first place? 

The sun was setting as we speak. The sky had a beautiful orange colour setting in the sky, giving it a huge contrast between the mountains. After spending the afternoon in Neoraksan National Park, it's not that bad at all. I've never been here before. Let alone with my parents. Shouldn't I have taken them here first before Shinhye? It's not like Shinhye and I are going to get married anyways. I can't introduce her to my parents. Even thinking about it makes me nervous. Think of all the embarrassing things they'd say about my childhood days. Mothers are always like that, especially mine. Now that I've hit it big on being a celebrity, she loves to brag all about me. I don't dislike it - it's just weird seeing this kind of side of my mother.

We were waiting for the next cable car to go down. It was scheduled to come in the next 15 minutes. Neither of us talked. How did it become this awkward? I shouldn't have gotten this close to her. She can't see me as a friend anymore. What should I do to get her friendship back? Here I go again, being paranoid. Why do I think situations related to Shinhye are always a thousand times worse when I do something for her? Whether it'd be her not liking what I said, what I did and how I act around her. While I was too busy figuring these complicated thoughts, Shinhye left. Where did she go? Do I have to file a missing person? I'd do it if there was really the need for it.

She came back running with two paper cups. The warm steam from the paper cups could be seen as she walked towards me. She walked carefully trying not to spill the warm drink. 

"Here, it's coffee. When it's cold, the best thing to drink is coffee."

"Shouldn't it be hot chocolate though? Coffee works just fine, so it doesn't matter."

"Well they ran out of hot chocolate. But anyways, do you want to sit on that bench together with me? We need to talk."

'We need to talk'. I never thought such a horrifying sentence could come from Shinhye. What in the world would she want to talk about? It's nothing serious right? She doesn't know right? She takes this whole thing I planned for her as a wonderful gift from a best friend. A best friend. That's what I'll forever be.

We sat down facing each other on the becnh. I could see her cheeks were plum red and it suited her.

"Did you hear?"

"Hear what?"

"We might be getting another drama project together. The writer just contacted me a couple of days ago."

"You knew too? So do I. The writer started the phone call about someone recommending me in the drama. Was that... perhaps, you?"

"Bingo! Did you hear about the schedule for the script reading? It's going to be held on May 2nd at JS Pictures' office."

The way she said 'Bingo!' was in such a cute way that I couldn't take my eyes off her even if I had to take another sip of the coffee that kept me warm. 

"I heard too. It's a couple of months until that then."

"Are you nervous? We're both the lead for this drama."

"Of course I'm nervous, but I could just do my best."

"That's the spirit!"

"For those who are going back down please line up for the cable car right now as it's approaching in less than 20 seconds," said a man behind the speakers.

"Oh, there's our cable car down. We should line up."

 

*

 

We slurped our last drop of coffee in the paper cup, and threw the paper cup into the dustbin. Our steps towards the cable line were more refreshing as the coffee helped warmed us. It was still cold for Shinhye though. She hastily walked like a penguin towards the queue into the cable line. 

"Why aren't you coming? It's cold. Aren't you freezing?"

"No, the coffee already helped me. But I guess it hasn't helped you. Tsk tsk."

She just smiled back at me. I walked towards her, and the cable car had slowly arrived. The doors open and they were first letting people out before letting any of us in. As we went in, we noticed a familiar face through the reflection in the cable car. It was that old man and his wife who had scolded me and made me blush.

"Oh, haraboji, you're here to go home too?"

"Yes young lady, I guess we don't have any strength left to stay out in the cold that long."

"If that's the case, you should quickly get home, eat and take a nice warm shower."

"I will do that. Oh and how is your boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?" She didn't realize he was talking about me, until the old man looked at me. I tried not to eavesdrop, but it was so hard not to. We weren't that far anyways. Afterall, this cable car isn't as big as a bus.

"Ahh~ He's doing fine. I received the best present today."

"Present? What kind of present?"

"This trip."

"Are you sure it was only that? By the look of his eyes, I can tell it's more than that."

I heard nothing more than that. Their conversation ended with small giggles, making me just standing there filled with curiosity. We were halfway down back to the main entrance. Shinhye came back and stood beside me. Silently. Not saying a word. I wanted to ask her what he whispered her about, but it would seem to suspiciouos. I would seem really curious, and if it turns out to be something private, I wouldn't want her to let me know either way. 

I couldn't handle the embarrassment from earlier today. I was even in a secluded place with Shinhye. Now it's time to just go back to town and find a motel for us to sleep over the night. It's getting the late. Stars are coming out and so are the people of this little beautiful town. 

 

*

 

After driving around and around, we finally found a decent motel. Not only was it cheap for a night, but the motel was coloured with a pastel pink. The stars finally came out and it had become dusk. The rooms that had small balconies popping out in front of the main buliding, lighted up during the night time, making the motel more noticeable and colourful. 

"Welcome to Rocustel Motel. How can we help you?"

"We're looking for -"

"Honeymoon suite?"

Shinhye snorted at his question and so did I. "Ah it's not that. We're just friends," Shinhye quickly said.

Ah, that's right, I thought. I almost forgot.

"Well we're a motel so I think a standard double bed room is the closest you can find to a honeymoon suite. But since you mentioned you're just friends, I'll find seperate rooms for the both of you."

A few minutes had passed, he never said a word. "I'm sorry, but we're all booked. I never thought this actually would happen, but there's a standard double bed room left. What would you like to do? You guys might have to stick together in this case."

"Well since we have nowhere else to stay, let's just take it."

"Alright." Oh no. Together. In an even more secluded place only for the both of us. I might be able to see her underwear at this rate. Wait what, I never thought of that. Get these erted thoughts away, Yonghwa-ah. Even though this is the first time and you're desperate, you have to hold it in. Especially since we're nothing but friends. We're not friends with benefits. Aish.

 

*

 

A bell hop had taken care of our luggages until we reached the 5th floor. He opened the door to the room where the double bed was waiting for us. The room gave it more of an apartment feeling rather than a motel. Middle class furniture could be seen in the entire room. Just simple furniture perfect for the both of us who still need to get used to travelling without our parents. It wasn't that hard to find out how everything worked.

Suddenly Shinhye said, "Don't you think this is good for it to be a motel? The price is reasonable too. I'm glad we found this motel."

"Yes I think so too. Everything's simplistic. Not bad at all for it to be a motel."

"Now let's unpack."

Unpack. But her underwear-

"Don't worry, my underwear is right at the bottom of this suitcase, so you'll see it last."

"I wasn't thinking that-"

"Sure you weren't. You think I don't know about boys? And I had to be prepared thinking this sort of thing might've happened. Anyways here you go. I bought some fishcakes the day before you picked me up."

We both ate fishcakes deliciously. Making sure to not drop a piece, we asked for room service to get us 2 plates. In just 5 minutes, room service had come knocking on the door with our plates. Shinhye being down to earth as she was, she asked if any of the waiters wanted to have some fishcakes, but they both denied with a bow.

Before we even knew it, 20 sticks were left on the plate. We ate 10 each and it took less than 10 minutes for us to eat all of them. Now we know that neither of us are going to starve tonight.

"Now that we've eaten 'till our stomache's content, what do you want to do?"

"Let's digest our food by going outside. I heard Sokcho's pretty lively and colourful at night."

 

*

 

I let Shinhye do what she wanted to do. It was already 10 p.m., but all of the people of Sokcho from different ages came out, making the city lively. All of the restaurants we could find in the middle of the city and beside the boat fort were lighted up with neon signs. As the neon signs lighted up, so did Shinhye.

"Look at all of the people! The signs! The restaurants! And most importantly the food the restaurants are offering", she said excitedly.

Shinhye was too excited that she was wandering by herself in the tremendous crowd. It wasn't easy to find her but she called out my name. 

"Yonghwa! Where are you! I'm here! In front of this ddeokboki stand!"

Ah, food. How could I forget? Wait. Food again? She sure is hungry.

I joined her and ate ddeokboki. This cold night, it's good with something hot and spicy. What else than ddeokboki? 

"She looks as if she hasn't eaten anything for days," said the ahjumma in charge.

"But she ate fishcakes just an hour ago."

"Well then you're not feeding her right. As a boyfriend you should treat your girlfriend to more meals. Not the other way around."

Another comparison. When is this going to end? I can take care of her, and I will do it in my own way and my own pace.

"We're just friends, ahjummoni," Shinhye said with stuffed with ddeokboki, giving a smile at the end.

"Really? Thank god. Listen, you're too good for him anyways."

Shinhye laughed at the ahjumma's comment. 

"But he's good at giving presents. This is my birthday present you see. This entire trip. He has done a lot for me, I don't know how to repay him back."

"Can't you see it's something more?"

"More? More presents? What?"

I sensed what the ahjumma wanted to say. It was true I had more presents in store for her that I saved later, but there was something fishy with what the ahjumma inteded to say. I interrupted the conversation, "Sorry to interrupt but can we get some to go?"

"Sure, make sure to eat all of it and don't leave a piece behind! Most importantly, let the girl eat more first."

"Wait, are we leaving already? But she had something to say to me. I couldn't solve her puzzle."

"You'll be able to solve it yourself. Better yet, you should be the one solving it, and not others."

"Now I'm more curious. But fine."

We were on our way back to the motel and Shinhye was still finishing her ddeokboki.

"One moment. I just need to get something from the car."

My presents. How could I forget. I can't let them be stored in the car trunk forever. The jewelries I had for her and also the matching pair of teddy bears that were both holding onto their own heart. I'm not sure if she will find them impressive or so. Though I especially loved the teddy bears. One of the teddy bear was holding a blue heart and the other teddy bear was holding a pink heart. It clearly shows the girlfriend and boyfriend relationship. To top it off, these two bears can't be seperated, as the designer made it so they would stick onto each other forever. I know this is not the right present for me to give, but I just found it adorable and suitable for Shinhye.

I came back walking behind Shinhye with light steps. I just hope she wouldn't notice the reflection from the window.

"Here you go! Your very own matching pair of teddy bears and some jewelry."

"Omo! These are a cute matching pair of teddy bears. I love the bracelet and ring too. I never actually expected more presents, but how did the ahjumma know? Yonghwa-ah, you sure you don't know her from somewhere? Maybe a relative."

"Yeah, I was afraid she told too much of my secret of me being her nephew. I'm just kidding, she just happened to take a good guess. I hope you like them."

"I definitely love them! Could this trip get any better? I will treasure them for sure, Yonghwa-ah."

 

*

 

It became midnight. One full day had passed. The very first day on a trip with Shinhye had passed. Our feets were becoming sore after having to walk everywhere today. Finally it was time to take a shower and go to sleep. Shinhye had let me take a shower first and afterwards it'd be her turn. 

Shinhye took just 15 minutes and came out the shower with her makeup-less face, wet hair and pyjamas. She was still drying her hair with the towel. 

"Turn on the TV. Let's see what's on.

As soon as the television , it landed on a horror movie. It was Death Bell. The movie had already started and the television just came on to the part where the television of the classroom switches on, ranking the students - from highest to lowest. They were ranked in order to be killed. 

"I've watched this before. It's pretty good, but I still get scared everytime I watch it."

"Well then, let's watch it together, since you're not alone right now. Turn off the lights while yo u're still standing and drying your hair. And try to not look at the mirror on the makeup table over there, or something might pop up."

"Ah~ stop it."

The both of us climed onto our beds, comfortably wearing our pyjamas, with wet hair and sharing the same blanket.

With the sudden loud scary music, Shinhye hid under the blankets whilst holding my left arm. Her grab was firm and she clinged onto my arm tightly, almost giving me pain. I held it in nevertheless. I was just happy that I could be there for her. What would it be if she saw this movie alone? She would have no-one to cling on to - no arm to grab.

"Are you alright under there? Should we change the channel? Should I go grab the teddy bears for you to hug onto?"

"No. I'm alright. Just leave it on."

"Are you sure? You can always take that back and I can just immediately change the channel. All it takes is just one press on a button. And besides, if you're afraid on getting the teddy bears, I could just go get them for you."

"No! Don't leave me! But ... Yes, please, change the channel."

I changed the channel so it landed on cartoons instead. Pohroro was on. I'm surprised that cartoons are still going this late at night.

"Is Pororo better for you?"

"Much better," she said coming up from the blanket.

"Oh.." she didn't realize she was still holding onto my arm. When she calmed herself, she quickly let go of my arm.

"I'm sorry. I was just...."

"Scared? Yeah I know."

"Exactly. I'm not even sure if I can go to sleep now."

"It's alright, you have me beside you. Not a ghost, but a human ok? It's fine. Do you want to go to sleep now?"

"Well I am getting a bit tired, yes. But I just need to brush my hair. It's dark..."

"I'll turn on the lights for you."

The lights and Shinhye finally finished brushing her hair. She tied it in a ponytail making sure it didn't go everywhere just as she was going to sleep and wake up.

"Oh no, the pillow and bed is a bit wet because of my hair. I thought it was already dry when I actually dried it."

"Sleep on this side of the bed. It's warm and dry," I offered.

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Now go to sleep."

There was a clear borderline now that she slept. The bed was big enough to be halved. Shinhye took the left half, and I took the right half. After just half an hour watching her to finally get to sleep, she started coming over to my side and slept right below my arms when I was too busy looking at the ceiling. It seemed like she slept the most comfortable there. I didn't want to disturb her so I let her sleep on my arm. She must have a thing for my arms. First my left arm and now my right. Are they really that comfortable to sleep on? Her pillow hadn't even been touched. My arm started to ache, so I decided to try to sleep it off.

 

*

 

The sunlight was beaming in through the windows. The birds were also chirping. I guess today's a beautiful day too. But it's time to head back and get on with more schedules.

Despite of my arm being used like a pillow and the aching I could feel afterwards, I woke up finding myself embracing Shinhye tightly around my arms. My heart almost skipped a beat. I wanted to let go in a hurry but at the same time I didn't want to wake her up. After thinking for a while, I came up with just the usual lame idea - pretend to be asleep. So I did go back to sleep until I heard Shinhye's small giggle.

"I guess whenever it's something involving your arms, I find it comfortable."

I let go and so did Shinhye. She got up and started to stretch. Her walking was a bit sloppy but I guess it's because she's really tired.

The deal was to sleep one night here in Sokcho and so we did. I didn't think it was that bad. And to experience all of this is just a blessing for me. I'm glad I planned this out and it turned out perfect. Shinhye seemed to enjoy it too by looking at her expressions throughout the entire trip. It was time to pack and head back to Seoul.

"Ready to head home?"

"All clear. I think I didn't forget anything."

We checked out and thanked the staff of Rocustel Motel. The facilities, surroundings and even the entire hotel was amazing. I will not forget this experience in a lifetime.

 

*

 

Even though the ride back home took a bit over an hour, she still managed to fall asleep. The car ride was quiet. Quiet but understandable. It's barely 9 a.m.. I can't just expect her to be lively this early in the morning. 

Like I normally do, I stopped by at my favourite coffee shop to get something to drink just to freshen up. I parked the car and decided to leave sleeping Shinhye alone. Of course taking the car keys and locking the car right after would be the right thing to do. Imagine if someone would just steal the car AND kidnap Shinhye and probably hold her as a hostage. Now I wouldn't like that to happen. Oh well. Happy thoughts now. I need some refreshment.

I took the car keys and opened the door. Suddenly I bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry."

As I looked up, it was a familiar face. None other than my onscreen-wife, Seohyun. What is she doing here? Early in the morning? How is she going to react when she finds Shinhye in the front seat? Thankfully the windows to the car are darkened.

Suddenly the front seat of the door opened. Out came Shinhye looking tired and said, "Yonghwa? Where are we?"

The look on Seohyun's face was unbelievable. I could feel her anger. She was definitely angry. Although she was trying hard to suppress her anger, it showed, and I noticed. What do I do now? How am I supposed to get out of this.

 


 

A/N: 2 weeks??? 2 weeks??? Ok I really . I won't say anything anymore on when each chapter will get published, because a chapter comes whenever I have the opportunity to publish it! Thank you for being such patient subscribers though! Special thanks for those who have been here since the beginning. ;3; I know my fanfic isn't that impressive and all, but I'm thankful for the readers! My writing isn't good but I hope it's understandable.

So exams are taking up my schedule and I'm not going to be able to update a chapter until after the end of May/beginning of June, but we'll see. T^T As I mentioned, I seriously don't want to set a date or time to publish a chapter since things change and it gets completely messed up. I just need to focus on school now, even though there's like less than a month of school (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!).

I hope this chapter was satisfying enough. They got a bit closer huh, haha. At least skinship-wise. But yes... Ooops, encounter with Seohyun! What will happen next~~~~~ haha. Until then Dooliers! I love you all! Thank you for the wonderful comments! I appreciate them all. ^^;;

SOURCES: Pictures & Rocustel Motel | I OWN NOTHING AND I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THE WEBSITES/COMPANIES.