143 thousand minutes (One Shot)

Description

 

It always feels good to be home, Kim thought to herself as she and her sister waited for their car to arrive. They were in Bangkok for a TVC shoot and she was just happy and relieved to be finally home again.

 

“Ayan na…” Lakam exclaimed as the car stopped right in front of them.

 

“Good evening Kim, Ate Kams!” Fredo greeted them as he went out of the car to take care of their bags.

 

“Hi Pidoy!” Lakam answered in her usual cheerful tone. “Kimmy, get in the car. Kami na bahala sa mga bagahe.” She opened the front seat for her. “Sa harap ka na.”

 

Kim nodded and obliged. She was just too tired to answer back. She closed her eyes the moment she was seated. It had been a long day.

 

“Kuya Fredo, bakit po si Bubblegum ang dala nyo? Buti napagkasya mo lahat ng mga bagahe namin.” She softly asked, her eyes still closed. She had earlier wondered why Fredo brought the Pink Ford Lynx car instead of the van in picking them up.

 

There was no answer.

 

“Sige po, pakigising na lang po ako pag nasa bahay na tayo.”  She added as she shifted to a more comfortable position. She opened her eyes and had the surprise and shock of her life when she realized that it was not Kuya Fredo driving.

 

“GE?”

 

All of a sudden, Kim was not at all sleepy. She felt a jolt of energy right through her the moment she said his name out loud.

 

Nasaan na ang driver at kapatid niya and most of all, what in the world was Gerald Anderson doing here?

 

“Hi Kimmy!”  Gerald smiled at her. Now she can really sleep.

 

“What are you doing here? Nasaan sina Kuya Fredo at Ate Kams?”

 

“They’re on their way home.” Gerald answered without looking at her. “Gamit nila ang kotse ko and they have all your baggage with them. Don’t worry, alam naman nila na ako ang kasama mo ngayon.”

 

Kim didn’t know what to say. This is really such a surprise to her and she didn’t know what to do about it either. She totally forgot about her wanting to take a nap earlier. She opened her bag, looked at its contents and closed it. She did the same thing about three times before she finally rested her eyes on the road.

 

What in the world is happening?

 

She drew in some shallow breaths and sat still. Gerald was not saying anything either and they drove in silence for a few minutes.

 

 

I look at her and have to smile
As we go driving for a while
Her hair blowing in the open window of my car
And as we go the traffic lights
Watch them glimmer in her eyes
In the darkness of the evening…

 

 

Gerald has turned the radio on. She was glad he did for silence was starting to kill her but of all the songs that could have been playing, it has to be the one that is playing right that moment. Talk about perfect timing…

 

Kim had to turn her head to her right so she could let out a shy smile. True indeed, the windows were open and the wind was blowing through her hair. Gerald still remembered that she liked it that way, especially on the evenings.

 

Without Kim knowing, he was also smiling. It was then that his phone signaled a message.

 

To his surprise, it was from Kim herself.

 

Kim :  Me ganyan?

 

He typed in a quick reply.

 

Gerald : Ano?

 

Kim : Yang radio. Nagpapacute ka ba? J

 

Gerald : Bakit pa ako magpapa-cute eh cute na naman talaga ako.

 

 

 

Kim didn’t know how to answer that back. She just wasn’t expecting to see Gerald, especially not that night. The last she saw Gerald was when she left for Bangkok and it was but a brief encounter.  She hates to admit it though but she really liked the surprise even though the awkwardness of the moment was killing her. The last they used this car for a drive was some months ago but she will always remember it. This car, which they fondly call Bubblegum was Gerald’s gift to her on her 18th birthday and had always been special to her and Bubblegum holds a lot of memories that no one of them will ever dare to forget.

 

 

The next minute, her phone signaled another message.

 

Gerald : Ikaw yata ang nagpapacute eh.

 

Kim almost fell out of her seat. She had to fake a cough.

 

Kim : Ang kapal nito! Hindi ko na kailangang magpa cute sayo ano!

 

He smiled as he caught a glimpse of her from one corner of his eyes. Kim was just so beautiful, the city and car lights dancing in her eyes. Gerald let out a sigh. There was no way on earth he could do without her.

 

They had to stop when the light turned red. And as if his right hand had a mind of its own, he slowly caught a hold of Kim’s left. That surprised both of them. He entwined his hand with hers. Kim was letting him hold it and she held on to his. She wanted to blame the cold night air for the little tingling sensation she felt as their hands touched. But among other things, it felt so familiar. It felt like home.

 

And I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat
Oh and I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me

We stop to get something to drink
My mind pounds and I can't think
Scared to death to say I love her
Then a moon peeks from the clouds
Hear my heart that beats so loud
Try to tell her simply

That I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat
Oh I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me

Oh and I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat
Oh and I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me

Oh and I know this love grow…

 

The lights turned green but Gerald dared not to let go of Kim’s hand, like he was holding on to it for dear life. It was as if the song was telling things he wanted to say. Right here, he’s got all that he needs and he could not ask for more. They held hands and it meant the whole world. Without any second thought, he carefully brought her hand to his lips and gently kissed it. His heart was pounding hard, drumming in a cadence the moment he did, afraid that Kim was going to be mad about it but he caught her blushing and he could not help but smile because it was a good sign.

 

“Naman eh!” Kim thought silently to herself. The moment Gerald held her hand, she was caught off guard. Blame in on those eyes of his. Or it could be just the song.

 

“Relax, Kimmy.” She closed her eyes and talked to herself in silence. “Kinikilig ka naman diyan, cool ka lang.”

 

She tried to calm the erratic pounding of her heart. It was just nothing but a kiss. “Kung may kiss lolo, kapatid yun ng kiss lolo. Don’t make anything out of it.”

 

But no matter how she tried to deny it, it was there. She could feel there was something in that kiss, halik-lolo as it may seem. There was electricity, there was care…and maybe just maybe, there was love, there was still love after all.

 

Her heart was saying it but her mind keeps dismissing it. Why?

 

There was no doubt about love, she finally admitted if only to herself. Love was never a question. But with everything that has happened the past months, she’d like to take things slowly now. Through it all, they’ve always been together. She could proudly say that what happened only strengthened their friendship even more. She could have gone her own way but she chose to stick it out with Gerald. He needed her more than he’s ever needed a friend in his whole life. Did she have any regrets about it? The answer is no. She couldn’t be anywhere else but here.

 

Kim could feel his eyes checking on her from time to time. She dared not to meet his gaze but admittedly, she was doing the same whenever Gerald’s eyes were fixed on the road.

 

 

and I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat…

 

She could not tell when the music stopped because it kept playing in her head anyway. And Gerald never letting go of her hand was just enough to forget almost everything. The next thing she knew, the car has stopped and they were already inside Loyola Grand Villas, right in front of her house which is still under construction.

 

Gerald stepped out of the driver’s seat and quickly went to open the door for Kim, assisting her as she made her way out. It was no longer a surprise when he took her hand but still feeling a bit of awkwardness, Kim knew she had to say something. After all, they drove in silence for minutes and she could no longer stand it.

 

“Ikaw ha, hindi mo na binibitawan ang kamay ko. Kanina ka pa. Natatakot ka ba at baka biglang may Mumu?” She grinned. She needed that if only to let all those nervousness out.

 

“Ayaw pag ana ba…” Gerald likewise grinned. His mind went back to that one night during their stay at the PBB house when, before they were sent to the island, he had to sleep at the storage room while Kim was inside the confession room. Kim had mentioned something about a ghost or a witch and admittedly, he was scared, that’s why he asked her not to say anything like that again. “If I know, gusto mo naman…”

 

They both laughed, still holding hands.

 

“Gagi!”

 

“Pogi” Gerald corrected.

 

“Haha! Ang kapal kaya!” Kim countered. “Gusto mo lang pala magpunta dito, hindi mo naman sinabi kaagad.”

 

“Eh siyempre, para naman surprise.” They walked slowly and entered the patio. Gallons of paint, strips of wood and other materials were scattered on the floor. “Dito ka lang ha, I’ll just get something in the car…”

 

When Gerald came back, he had with him some packed foods. Kim could tell what they were. They were her favorites - siomai and Conti’s Mango Bravo.

 

She was left with no words and had no choice but to silently watch Gerald as he set up a space for them to eat. Since no table was in sight, Gerald had made up something out of the pieces of woods and hollow blocks that were there. In no time, the foods were all set and since there were no chairs as well, Kim figured out that they had to sit on the floor.

 

“Ge? Bakit mo ginagawa to?” She asked, not looking at him.

 

“Pasensiya ka na ha? I wanted to take you to some fancy place pero alam mo naman kung bakit hindi pwede.” He let out a deep sigh and looked at her. “But I figured this would be the best place to go, kind of returning the favor for what you did for me when my house was under construction. Diba ganitong way din tayo kumain nun?”

 

Kim let out a shy smile.

 

“Thank you. Hindi mo na naman kailangan na gawin to eh…Alam ko…”

 

“But I wanted to.” Gerald cut her off mid-sentence. “Sabi ko naman sa’yo diba. I’ll always be here. I feel like I’ve wasted so much time already and I don’t want to waste anymore. I want to spend as much time that I can with you.” He stopped and went on when he noticed my silence.” Corny ba? I’m sorry Kimmy, ganun talaga eh. It’s just me…I’m yours.”

 

Tears were starting to well up on Kimmy’s eyes but with that last thing that Gerald said, she started to giggle.

 

“Are you trying to sing to me? Kumain na nga lang tayo.” Somehow, the awkward feeling was starting to go away. Surprise dinners like this is not new to them but they’ve never done this for a long time. “Alam mo sa totoo lang, I missed this.”

 

“Ito lang? Daya mo naman, samantalang ako, mas na miss kita. Kulang na lang talaga sinundan na kita sa Bangkok.”

 

“Me ganun?” Kim kidded.

 

Gerald stared at her in silence.

 

“Here we go again…” Kim almost whispered. “O sige na nga, I confess – na miss naman kita eh. Ang tagal kaya nating hindi nagkita, na miss ko yung ganito…Na miss ko yung dati…” She said before she could even stop herself.

 

That was when Gerald smiled again. He started to fill their plates with food.

 

“Pag-uusapan pa to.” He mumbled. “Kumain ka ng marami Kimmy ha? I don’t get to see you eat everyday kaya ngayon, you have to eat a lot.”

 

“Hindi ko naman to mauubos. Dapat ikaw kumain din.”

 

“Ge, are you okay?” Kim sensing after dinner that Gerald was not in his usual cheerful mode. It was also when she noticed those dark circles around his eyes. “Wala ka pang tulog ano?”

 

“Don’t worry about me, okay lang naman ako pero may problema ako…and I need you to help me.”

 

Her eyebrows furrowed. “Oo naman, ano ba yun” She tried to read what was it in Gerald’s mind but to no luck.

 

“May kailangan akong isangla…”Gerald started to explain. “May kailangan akong isangla sa’yo.” He then took out a small brown envelope from the inside of his jacket and handed it to Kim.

 

“Ano to? Titulo ng bahay mo? Bakit? Wag mong sabihing nauubusan ka na ng pera? Andami mo kayang endorsements ngayon... ” Kim rambled on.

“Shhh…” Ge shushed. “Ayaw kasing tanggapin sa mga pawnshop, kasi di nila kayang ibigay yung worth nito e.”

 

“Tanga ka ba? E kung bahay to, sa bangko ka dapat nagsasangla, hindi sa pawnshop!” She snapped as she impatiently opened the envelope’s flap.

 

“Bakit ano ba…” Kim looked up to Gerald when she realized what was inside the envelope. “Your birth certificate?” Her confusion doubled. “Bakit nagsasangla ka ng birth certificate? Pwede bang isangla to?” Kim’s looked at him as if he suddenly grew an extra head.

 

“Isasangla ko nga sa’yo…”

 

Kim did not know what to make of it. “Naku Geraldo, wag mo na akong idamay sa kalokohan mo no. FYI, hindi rin ako NSO.”  She jibed.

 

“Regardless.” Gerald quipped. “Kim, listen to me. Ikaw lang ang pwedeng pagsanglaan ko nito kasi…” Starting to feel a bit nauseous, Gerald stopped and gulped a lungful of air.

 

“Kasi? A alam ko na! Kasi mas mayaman ako sa’yo?! Tama? Tama?” Kim chided.

 

“Wag na kasing parang bata Kimmy, seryoso na please.” Gerald said in a soft voice already laced with a bit of frustration.

 

Sensing his agitation, Kim controlled her wisecracks which she just threw his way because she’s nervous as hell as to what was happening at that very moment.

 

“It’s my whole life, Kim. It’s my name.” Gerald blurted out without batting an eyelash. “Isasangla ko sayo….”

 

“What?” Kim let out an exasperated sigh.

 

Gerald held his hands up. “Okay, pwede ba patapusin mo muna ako? And promise me Kimmy,  please listen…” This time, Gerald was already in front of her.

 

Kim was not sure if she’s ready to hear what he was about to say.

 

“Like I said, this is my birth certificate at sinasangla ko siya sayo…”

 

“Di enough ang savings ko…” Kim sounded off absent-mindedly.

 

“Sus! Hear me out please…” Gerald took the envelope from her hands. “Hindi pera ang gusto kong kapalit. I want 143,000 minutes with you.”

 

Kim did a double take once she those words slipped Ge’s lips.

 

Ano daw?!

 

Though she was already having a hard time containing her overflowing kilig, Kim was able to muster as much spunk as she can to snap at Gerald.

 

“Alam mo Gerald, di kita maintindihan e. Kailangan mo lang pala oras with me. Bakit may sanglaan ka pang nalalaman dyan? Drama nito!”

 

“Di ako nagbibiro Kim. I had my lawyer draft a contract for you to sign. Eto o…” He then the legal document to her direction.

 

I, Kimberly Sue Yap-Chiu, of legal age and a resident of LoyolaHeights, Quezon City, commits to the provisions of this contract...

 

Spend 143,000 minutes with Gerald Randolph Opsima Andersonwithin a span of 1 year.

 

“At bakit ko naman pipirmahan yan? Ano naming mahihita ko sa kontratang yan?”

 

“You will soon find out what it will be. Sa ngayon, I need an answer. Game?”

 

“Hindi ko pa rin maintindihan.”

 

Gerald paused and gently took Kim’s hand. “Maybe this will help you understand…” He deftly reached for something from his jacket’s pocket and carefully placed it on her palm.

 

What she saw made her gasp.

 

Placed on her palm is the engagement ring she’s ever seen. It’s a work of art set in a platinum band which were dotted with a dozen small diamonds. Nestled in the middle is a 2-carat, princess-cut diamond.

 

The conversation suddenly turned 360, from a trivial matter to a serious one. “Alam mo, yung mga panahong hindi kita kasama, it scared me to think that I might lose you. It made me realize that it will never do me any good kung hindi rin lang ikaw ang kasama ko….”

 

“Ge…” Kim’s voice was trembling. “Are you trying to tell me na….”

 

He nodded. A sudden surge of emotions made it difficult for him to speak. Nonetheless he managed to choke out the words. “Read it.”

 

With trembling fingers, Kim carefully picked up the ring and inspected the inscription.

 

I’m yours. - Gerald

 

Gerald met her gaze and right there in his eyes, she found the answer that she was looking for. This time, no but’s and maybe’s. She was sure that there’s still love.

 

“Kim, at first all I knew about you was your name. That was so long ago. And now, now that I knew you better, I am sure that you’re the one I want to offer my name to. My life to. If you’ll have me.”

 

“Ge…” Everything was happening so fast that Kim can’t put together her thoughts, her feelings.

 

“Kimmy, kung kailangang manligaw ulit ako sayo, I’ll do it. I know you’re not ready right now but I’m letting you know ngayon pa lang, sa’yo lang ako. Never naman talaga akong nawala diba? Sabi ko nga, I can give it all up, wag lang ikaw…wag lang yung sa atin. So with these I am letting you know, right this very minute, it’s not just a commitment. It’s my entire life and it’s all for you.”

 

Looking in her eyes made him realize again and again that there was no way on earth he could afford to live without her. He could not stand spending his days without her.

 

Gerald sensing that Kim was still suddenly in shock with his unexpected proposal tried to lighten up the situation.

 

“Ano, wala ka bang sasabihin? Deal or no deal?”

 

“Do I have a choice here?” She smiled sheepishly.

 

Gerald shook his head with a smile. “You have nothing to lose anyway and if I were you, I’d say deal. Imagine, spending 143,000 minutes with me and more...I’d say that is a very good deal.” He already have an idea what they were going to do with those minutes. It will make up for all those times they have been apart, it will be a time to get to know each another again. It will be every second memorable – he will make sure of that.

 

“Sabi ko nga wala akong choice.” Kim grinned. “Eh di deal, 143,000 minutes lang naman eh. Pero sure ka rin ba? Baka hindi ko na ibalik to…”

 

Gerald wanted to laugh. Up until that moment, it seemed like Kim had no clue how long that 143,000 minutes is going to be.

 

“Then you have to sign this…” Gerald gave her the contract along with a pen. “I already did, alam ko namang hindi ka tatanggi eh.” He said smugly. His banter was easily rewarded with a sweet smile from his lady love thus boosting his confidence.

 

“Tsaka by the time matapos ang 143,000 minutes I guarantee na suot mo na ang singsing na yan.”  He said matter-of-factly. "At madadagdagan ng isa pa." He winked.

 

“Pero paano to? May mga trabaho tayo na hindi tayo ang magkasama…paano?”

 

“We’ll figure that out, basta ang importate, you already agreed.” Gerald’s heart pitter-pattered. He was just the happiest man alive.

 

“Anyway, may bonus pa itong offer na to…because you agreed, you have a signing bonus.” He reached for her across the table and slowly leaned in to his subject.

 

“Ano na naman po yan. Ge, ha…kinakabahan na talaga ako sa’yo.”

 

“Lalo kang gumaganda pag kinakabahan ka…wag kang ganyan, lunod na lunod na ako. Lalo akong nai-inlove sayo.”

 

“Weh! Bolero ka talaga!”

 

It was then that Gerald took her hand once more and then gently placed the ring on her finger.

 

“Walang ibang pwedeng magsuot nito, ikaw lang…” Then he kissed her hand.

 

“Ge, please don’t cry.” Kim did not know what to do when she saw that he was already tearing up. “Sabi ko na naman, deal na diba?”

 

But it only made Gerald really cry. If it had been any girl, they would have already turned their backs on him even at the very start, when things started to fall apart, but it was Kim and she never did, that alone made him realize, again and again, that she was the one.

 

“Nag uumpisa ka na naman eh.” She was trying to hold back her own tears. “Anong gagawin ko sa’yo ngayon…” Kim choked on her words as she started to wipe his tears with the back of her hand.

 

They stared at each other for a full minute until they can’t hold it anymore. When the emotions conveyed in their eyes were already too much to take, they fell into each others arms and felt like staying there forever.

 

“See, di pa nga nagsa-start yung 143,000 minutes suot mo na yang singsing.” He whispered as he nuzzled the sensitive spot behind her ear.

 

“So, when would you start claiming your 143,000 minutes with me?” She whispered back.

 

“Right now love…” He whispered against her lips.

Foreword

Happy Valentines Day Kimeralds!

 

a/n : this is purely fictional. di po ito bts but just a product of buryong minds.

 

for my US sisters...

and the dart master!

 

Love you all!

 

Kim and Ge, love you both!