CHAPTER 2

Mayday

 

Hwayoung wasn’t surprised when the rest followed her out of the doors, not forgetting to give her dirty looks. Only Qri kept her distressed pose and ignored her. Before Jiyeon stepped out, she stopped In front of her, all smiles.

“Here,” she said, holding out a small band aid.

Hwayoung looked at her in disbelief, convinced that as soon as her fingers would near the small object, she’d pull away immediately, doubling over in laughter.

She was baffled when she didn’t.

Instead, Jiyeon held it closer, urging her to take it. Somehow, she seemed sincere, but it also seemed too good to be true. Like maybe she was just being used. She forced her thoughts away however; she must be thankful of the slightest attention that would come her way. But then…it seemed so unlikely that Jiyeon was acting this nice; wasn’t she acting the opposite earlier?

“T-Thanks…” Hwayoung muttered, avoiding her eyes.

“Don’t mention it,” Jiyeon said before leaving her alone in the practice room.

Hwayoung sat down in front of the giant mirrors, looking at her reflection and occasionally pinching and slapping her legs, swearing to herself after seeing how thick they looked while she was in her current position.

She sat there, not even having the energy to think, just staring at the giant speakers and the tangle of cables. Hwayoung blew out from her cheeks, twirling her long hair between her fingers, brushing it in the process and wincing when she reached a knot.

Hwayoung looked around the practice room for a pair of scissors; she had to get rid of those split ends desperately. She was surprised to find a pair; a practice room didn’t seem like a place where you’d find scissors.

She began picking random strands of her hair, looking for the dreaded splits. Becoming tired and bored and having no idea where to go, she felt herself refusing to move, her bottom planted to the floor. Her eyes fell shut slowly.

Not much later, she heard the practice door open with a loud squeak. She stood up quickly and bowed, afraid that someone would scold her for falling asleep.

“H-Hi,” Qri said awkwardly, playing with her fingers again.

“Hello…” Hwayoung sighed in relief, having the feeling that Qri wouldn’t try to have a go at her. She picked up her scissors, then putting it back where she found it.

Qri bit her lip and reached for something in her pocket, but then stopped, seeing a band aid already on Hwayoung’s finger. She sighed, before muttering a few words.

“Follow me; we’re going back to our dorm now,” she whispered, motioning Hwayoung to come. “Oh, and don’t worry about Soyeon. She’s just kidding about your lines; we don’t even have our parts distributed yet.”

“I don’t need your help,” Hwayoung snapped, regretting her words as soon as she said them. She blinked a few times and sighed, avoiding eyes with her.

The atmosphere in the van became quiet as soon as Qri and Hwayoung were in view. Eunjung placed her phone in her lap and sighed, watching the two come closer. Qri was a coward, but she had to admit, she was smart. She knew too much to begin with; the quietest hear the most, but are rarely heard. This quote fit Qri so well – no one could deny it.

Eunjung leaned towards Hyomin, tapping her shoulder lightly. Hyomin’s head turned, her ear near so she could hear her whisper, “She really has no clue. Qri wouldn’t tell her, would she?”

Hyomin gave her a bitter look and shook her head before placing her earphones back in her ear. “She wouldn’t have the guts,” she murmured.

Eunjung ignored the more than awkward feel, her thoughts clouding up. She suddenly felt bad for being a to Hwayoung, but she wasn’t sure what to do otherwise. She came to a conclusion that Hwayoung was just another person she should avoid and ignore as much as she possibly could.

She watched as Jiyeon got up from her seat and welcomed them in. She raised her eyebrows slightly and sighed.

“I usually sit here,” Jiyeon pointed, “but you can have my spot; I’ll sit at the back with Boram.” She smiled at Hwayoung, which she had to admit quite scared her.

“Thanks,” Hwayoung replied plainly, trying not to show any signs of nervousness. Now she was sandwiched between Eunjung and a window, but at least there was a window.

Hwayoung’s mind began to wander about the recent events and how some things just didn’t seem to make sense, even the littlest details. How could Soyeon have asked her to learn the lines before even listening to the title track? Why was Jiyeon being so nice to her all of a sudden? Why was Eunjung not talking and joking around like everyone else?

They all had goes at her and Hwayoung felt the worst she had ever. She leaned her head on the vibrating window, and the feeling that usually felt horrible, felt good.