Taepunzel

Taepunzel

(originally posted in lj)

Once upon a time, in a peaceful secluded area that skirted the forest, lived a married couple in a small but nice shack.

The husband was a strong-willed man who held an absolute admiration toward his wife. He would do anything it took to present his dearest the happiness she desired. But his wife, unfortunately, was a beauty with nothing but greedy personality. The woman saw her husband merely as an instrument to achieve her wishes. Her attractiveness and long-lasted good looks were the only things that kept her partner’s worship to live.

One day, when God bestow upon the couple joy in a form of the wife’s pregnancy, the two were extremely happy with the discovery. The husband became more hardworking each day, leaving the house early to work, while the wife stayed in the house in the daytime.

A few days after, when the husband was away for work, the wife was left alone spending her afternoon time, enjoying the breeze as she sat by the shack’s window. She accidentally caught the sight of the greatest enchanter on the land; The Almighty Key. He who mastered the art of curse and enchantment, lived behind a hill without a meaningful distance from the couple’s shack, on a dreaded highland no one ever go beyond.

The Almighty Key was passing by the couple’s house with a magnificent Gucci handbag in his clutch. The wife, witnessing this, gasped in shock, her jaw dropping as she kept eyeing the limited edition release of the item.

When her husband came home at night, she quickly conveyed about her longing of the handbag that The Almighty Key possessed. He refused at first, saying that she had used too much of his earnings to buy unimportant goods. And also, his credit cards had reached their limits.

“Honey, you know that there’s no way I can afford it. You said it yourself that it was a limited edition, and look at this- here it says that the bag practically costs our fortune! Moreover, we need to save our earnings. You know milk for babies these days, they’re freaking expensive!” The husband shrieked as he looked away from his monitor, a list of online purchases’ price flashing before him.

“Then use them, Onew! Use those magic cards of yours!” The wife insisted.

“They’re no magic anymore ever since you replaced the old curtains with the expensive ones!”

But the stubborn wife would not hear whatever the man would say. She was too greedy to accept that she could not own the same thing that The Almighty Key had. She then started whining and crying, telling her husband that if she did not get what she wanted, it would do harm to their baby.

With her bringing their baby into the matter, the husband found no words to argue again. He had no choice but to obey his wife. With heavy heart he departed at midnight, bracing himself to break into the enchanter’s house to steal the bag then took it home to his shack.

The greedy wife was overflowing with happiness. When the morning came, the husband waited anxiously, his heart pounding wildly against his ribcage, afraid that the great enchanter would notice his property went missing. But then upon realizing that nothing happened quite some time after his deed, he calmly went through his routine for the day.

However, the wife’s insatiability was still showing, even after that incident. Every time she witnessed the great enchanter passing by their house with his new expensive stuffs, the wife would longingly stare at them and plead for her husband’s favor at night.

The circle would just keep repeating; Prada necklace, Fendi pants, Raffaello blazer, and Cavalli shoes, but the wife wouldn’t get enough. Until one day on the same time in the afternoon when the wife was currently looking outside the window, the great enchanter -The Almighty Key- walked past the shack holding an expensive-looking shower gel. Just like the other day, the wife came to her husband and asked for his help, and just like how it had been, he would sneak into the enchanter’s house at night, his heart uncomfortably beating with shame.

A few days later, it was already the fifth time for the husband to steal another scoop of the sweet-scented liquid from the bottle, and that night, unfortunately, turned out to be the time when the husband lost his only piece of luck.

The Almighty Key’s house was poorly-lighted at night. The husband stealthily crept against the wall and entered the dwelling through an opened window. He could not see much but he managed to stay composed even with his current situation. But when he finally touched the lid of the bottle, he recognized that there was a piece of note attached to it. ‘Yah, are you crazy?!’ a round writing scribbled on it. And suddenly the bathroom door slammed open, and there stood on the other side of the room, The Almighty Key with green facial mask that didn’t do much to cover his face from rage.

 “You better have a reason for this, you insolent fool,” he pointed his manicured finger at the husband’s face, his hand trembling from the want to set off whatever spell he had in mind. “How dare you break into my quarters and lay your hand on something that is not yours.”

The husband’s legs shook with fear, he descend onto his knees as he pathetically plead for pity. “Oh Great Enchanter, please have some mercy. I wouldn’t have done such thing if only my wife who is heavy with child hadn’t begged me to. She felt most longing for your things our child would have died if I had not granted her wish,” the husband cried on his feet. “Please, Great Enchanter, I only did what is necessary.”

The Almighty Key then mulled over the husband’s enlightenment, something flickering on the corner of his eyes. He thought about his years of loneliness, how favorable and easy life must had been if he had someone close by his side. All of a sudden, The Almighty Key had the craving for a company.

“Alright then,” the enchanter’s look softened. “I will let you take the shower gel with you and give it to your pregnant wife, but with only one condition. Once the child is born you no longer have the right to keep it for I will take and raise it as a mother would.”

Onew the husband in his utmost dread could not say a word to cancel the bargain, and when the wife had finally brought the child into the world, the great enchanter had appeared only to take it away from them. The Almighty Key gave him the name of Taepunzel.

With years passing by, Taepunzel soon grew into a lovely child under the enchanter’s care. He was treated with most gentleness and attention like one would have never received before. The enchanter is so much fond of him that he would not let any being be around let alone touch him, not even the mild rays of the sun had the permission. Such meticulous treatment caused Taepunzel to have delicate skin and fair hair, which gave the enchanter all the more reason to treasure and protect him.

When Taepunzel was turning sixteen, The Almighty Key brought him to the forest and shut him into a tower. The tower had no stairs nor door, but only a window so small at the top to gaze at the world. Everyday in the morning, the enchanter would come to visit him with various gifts in his arms.

“Taepunzel, Taepunzel, let down your hair, so that I may climb the golden stair,” The Almighty Key would chant, and in the next second, strands of silky hair, as smooth and fine as the most valuable gold ever, would fall graciously from the window at the top of the high tower. As the shiny tresses grazed the ground, someone above would peak their head out, and there would sat Taepunzel, with his beautiful smile and stunning glints in his eyes. He looked down at the enchanter, he fastened his hair around the hook that hung close to the window frame, making sure it’s firm enough to lift the visitor down there so that the person could enter the chamber that stood high touching the sky.

“Good morning, Mother. May I ask what is inside the basket you’re carrying?” Taepunzel would curiously ask the enchanter with his pleasant manner.

“Just for you my dear; fresh, ripe strawberries and the finest cheese on the land,” the enchanter would answer haughtily. “Oh and would you look at that, I happen to also have your week-supplies of banana milk and the newest single of Usher,” at that, Taepunzel flashed him a really bright smile.

The two of them would spend the day talking and cooking and singing and dancing, every little stuff that the enchanter could not do when he was still alone. And sometimes when the cable was on, they would watch the rerun of The Chamber of Secrets together before the sun was setting and the enchanter was ready to go back to his home.

After a year or two, it came to pass that the king’s son rode through the forest and passed by the tower. He was a tall and lean young man, with great power to slay a dragon and subtle muscles hiding beneath royalty robe. He has a pair of wonderful doe-eyes and firm bone structure, his lips like rose petal and hair so black one’s mind would drown with the feel of its velvetiness. The prince was a charming man in every way, and he was in a search for a suitable bride.

Hiding behind the bushes, the view of a moving silhouette from the tower’s high window caught him by surprise. He never thought the old and hideous tower would have someone living inside. He kept staring at the swaying shadow from the window, his eyes taking in every graceful and agile wave from the arms of that shade creating. It was an understatement to say that the prince was entranced. He was completely spellbound by the strength and elegance of the silhouette, he vowed to not head back to the palace until he could meet the possessor of that tower.

This was in truth turned out to be Taepunzel, who in his moment of solitude passed his time by playing hackey sack or dancing to his favorite RnB music. The king’s son walked toward the foot of the tower, he searched for any door and passage to let him enter the highest chamber, but eventually found none. He wasn’t one who’s easy to give up however. In fact, willful and stubborn would not ever wholly describe him. He was determined to see the owner of the enchanting dance, so he decided it would be better to spend the night behind the bushes and wait for the morning to come, then he would have a fresher mind to arrange a better plan.

It didn’t take long to discover. Just as soon as the sunshine kissed the land, The Almighty Key had returned to the forest, standing near the tower at once. The prince with all his curiosity watched from the bushes and witnessed how the enchanter chanted then be lifted toward the chamber he yearned to reach. He waited and waited, never once his gaze would leave the tower’s window and with each moment passing by, the enchanter and the mysterious danseur’s laughter brought him more pining for their encounter.

Dusk shortly claimed the sky, blurry orange etches inching the horizon with starry night trailing in their wake. The Almighty Key came down from the tower, clinging on Taepunzel’s silky braid. He waved to the figure at the window frame before he let his pace lead him to his home again.

Almost immediately after the enchanter’s withdrawal, the prince came out from his hiding, his white horse loyally two steps behind him. He shaped a funnel with both his hands, and called out to the air.

“Taepunzel, Taepunzel, let down your hair, so that I may climb the golden stair,” the prince chanted with confidence.

The golden hair soon touched the ground, and while it lifted him upstairs the prince’s heart was jumping giddily against his ribcage. All the way to the highest chamber, his mind was thoroughly preoccupied he almost missed the expression of absolute horrid on the fair-haired boy’s face before him. The prince started at the insight, and as he marveled in the new finding of such beauty, Taepunzel struggled to speak.

“Who are you?” Not seeing the expected enchanter in front of him, his small voice squeaked in fright.

The prince stepped inside the chamber, ignoring the way the young boy flinched at their close proximity. “Minho The Prince at your service. May I have your name as a trade of information, my lady?” he bowed graciously.

“I am not a girl,” Taepunzel let out his menacing growl, and a manly cough, not able to suppress the urge to put his hands on his waist. “And it is Taepunzel, if you must know.”

Minho the prince disbelievingly stared at Taepunzel for a few moments, his head hastily processed a solution for the matter. Oh well, I could always ask father to legalize gay marriage in our kingdom, just like in Canada! He mused happily in the end.

“Taepunzel,” the prince tasted the name on his tongue as a gentle smile tugging on his lips. “Would you be so kind to let me spend the night in this tower? I am extremely drained from all the hunting and my poor stallion very much needs its rest for my palace is still so far away.”

At first Taepunzel was terribly doubtful and afraid of the man, bearing in mind he was so closed off to the world, and his eyes had never yet beheld another like him but the great enchanter. But Minho The Prince soon appear incredibly convincing, with his charm and fascinating words, and his furtive glance with those twinkles in his eyes, he proved to be such wonderful company the lonely Taepunzel had never had. They spent the night dancing to Taepunzel’s badass boombox, and who could have known that The Prince was such a great rapper?

It wasn’t the last time they saw each other. Setting sun and dusky sky began to be a part of the day when Taepunzel would impatiently wait to come. Because the moment The Almighty Key had left him for the night, the prince would then show up at his windowsill and he would contently listen to the prince’s stories, wrapped up by all the portrayal about the amazing world outside his window.

“Come with me,” the prince told him one night from where he sat on the floor.

Taepunzel stared wide-eyed at him. Suspicion, expectation, eagerness and agitation a brief flash of mixing emotion in his eyes.

“You can learn more than from our talk. You can witness everything I tell you about and look the honesty in every word I’ve said,” Minho took Taepunzel’s hand and cupped it between his palms. “You can be my consort,” he smiled sheepishly, “You can be my consort and we will rule the kingdom together, and you can always see more of the land beyond our realm whenever you wish. And you can even have your own dance studio!”

A burst of soft pinkish tint colored Taepunzel’s cheeks. He smiled at the prince, but suddenly frowned as something came to his thought. “It sounds lovely,” he muttered. “I would willingly go with you, My Prince. But I’m afraid I don’t know how,” Taepunzel slowly stretched his gaze far away through the window that captured him for life. “The Great Enchanter will not be consent to this. And the tower he built is so high I will never be able to touch the ground.”

Minho The Prince leaped to his knees and took both Taepunzel’s hands in his. “We will find a way. I will return to my kingdom and bring with me a ladder weaved from the best skein of silk, and then you can forever leave this prison for good.”

The Prince stared longingly at Taepunzel from the foot of the tower as the latter waved his hand for his momentary departure. He once again shouted his vow to the window, his white stallion running through the deep forest fading his voice in their escalating distance.

Time elapsed and soon another morning light made a daily visit drawing a trace of gold sparkles on the tower’s sill. Taepunzel lied down on his bed, eyelids fluttering from the sleep that had not yet left him, brown and bright orbs staring at the ceiling. He woke up with the first thought of his prince, his bleary mind still embracing the memory of his beloved’s promise.

“Taepunzel, Taepunzel,” he then vaguely heard a voice from outside. “Let down your hair, so that I may climb the golden stair,” Taepunzel unhurriedly went for the window, and then fastened his long hair by the hook and lifted The Almighty Key to his chamber.

“Good morning, my dear,” the great enchanter said gleefully from the window.

“Good morning, Mother,” Taepunzel said more as a mumble as he retreated back to his bed. “I’ve always wondered,” Taepunzel said by the time The Almighty Key landed his soles on the floor. “How it happens that you are so much heavier for me to draw up than The King’s son,” he absently uttered, oblivious to the outcome it would evidently cause.

Suddenly the basket The Almighty Key was carrying dropped down to the floor. The great enchanter looked up from the fruits that rolled away from his feet and stared at Taepunzel in horror. “What did I hear you say?!” His screech echoed against the chamber’s walls, sending a jolt of shock like a cold surge of unpleasant wind through Taepunzel’s spine. “I thought I had separated you from all the world, and yet you have deceived me!” The Almighty Key brought his hands to his perfect hair and pulled at it in frustration. “And more importantly,” he gasped, “What do you mean, I’m so much heavier than The King’s son?!”

Taepunzel’s knees trembled with fear. In his anger, The Almighty Key blindly clutched Taepunzel’s beautiful tresses in his hand and reached for a scissor with his other. And then with one motion, gone had the long silky hair the enchanter treasured so much. Taepunzel’s short locks turned its color to brown, and with his blurry vision, eyes full of unshed tears, he stared appallingly at his braids that laid silent on the ground.

The great enchanter took poor Taepunzel into the forest and left him to suffer for his affair with the prince.

On the same day that he exiled Taepunzel, Minho The Prince came back to the tower with a silken ladder draped around his shoulder. He chanted for his Taepunzel to let down his hair, and as soon as he ascended to the chamber, he was so greatly shaken with what he saw, Taepunzel’s golden braids in the clutch of the great enchanter.

“Look who’s here,” The Almighty Key laughed mockingly. “The honored prince fetching his bride. It’s too late for you to come back, dear Prince. I snatched what was beautiful on Taepunzel and casted him out. Now he will forever live in hardship for his ingratitude.”

The prince’s face reddened in resentment. He was about to step out of the window and immediately search for his love, but the enchanter’s power was too quick it had stopped him.

“Now your turn has arrived,” The Almighty Key growled, he brought his hand up in the air and muttered a dark spell, throwing it at the prince with abandon. Minho The Prince, feeling the urge to defend himself, stepped backward impulsively and hid himself behind the shield of the silken ladder. Then what was unforeseen occurred, the skein of silk in the prince’s hand deflected the mantra back, warding it off toward the enchanter’s handbag and crushing what cosmetics stacked inside of it.

“NOOOO!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??!! MY PRECIOUS BB CREAM!!!!!”

Minho The Prince took the chance to jump off the window, he needed no goddamn ladder because he was such a great athlete you have no idea, and left the deeply mourning enchanter in the tower.

Days had passed since the prince last saw Taepunzel, but even with the time slowly consuming him, he never lost a single hope in his search to meet his love.

The prince was surprised when he discovered another hidden part of the forest, and it added to his optimism as he saw a short-looking human-but-not-quite-human, wearing a red ridiculous hat and an axe in his hand. The short-looking human-but-not-quite-human approached the prince while grumbling to himself, a brown yapping dog followed him from behind.

“I am Jonghyun The Ditzy Dwarf,” the creature spoke. “I am Jonghyun The Ditzy Dwarf, and you are entering my territory.”

Minho got down from his horse, went down on one knee as he talked with such humble tone, “Forgive me for doing so, Jonghyun The Ditzy Dwarf. But I need to go pass your territory to find my missing bride. I have to quickly get and safe him before he too much became huddled in misery.”

Jonghyun The Dwarf raised his eyebrows in interest. “Does this bride have delicate skin and possessed brown short hair?”

“Yes he does. And he has beautiful smile and stunning glints in his eyes,” Minho The Prince smiled at the recall of his dearest Taepunzel.

Jonghyun The Dwarf frowned. “Then the youth that is currently sleeping in my house is not your bride. His lips certainly never form a smile and his eyes are so dark they are gloomy with grief.”

The prince’s eyes widened in shock. He begged the dwarf to allow him to see this youth he brought up, and though not-so earnestly, the dwarf eventually showed him the way to his house.

Jonghyun The Dwarf’s house was so small the prince had to slightly bend to go through the door. He walked ahead of the prince, leading his way toward his bedroom and giving the royal some space to scrutinize the young man who was sleeping peacefully on the rather small bed. And as the prince’s gaze landed on the youth’s face, his heart leapt up with overflowing joy and relief, seeing that his Taepunzel was safe from any harm.

He rushed to the bedside, gently Taepunzel’s cheek and taking the latter’s hand in his warm hold. Soon Taepunzel opened his eyes, and when he was convinced enough with what his sight provided, Taepunzel hugged his prince at once, sobbing against his chest as the prince’s soothing hand and words calmed him.

“I have fulfilled my promise. Now it’s time for you to fulfill yours,” Minho leaned away from the embrace and tucked Taepunzel’s hair behind his ear. “Will you come with me and stay by my side?”

Taepunzel granted the prince his beautiful smile then nodded. The prince bended to give his forehead a loving kiss, the tips of his own lips curving in a similar grin as he saw those stunning glints shone back in Taepunzel’s eyes.

Jonghyun The Dwarf, being the legendary he was, still hadn’t moved from his spot, watching the couple in reunion without any concern, smiling happily for the two.

“I’m sorry the enchanter cut my hair,” Taepunzel looked at the prince sullenly.

“It doesn’t matter,” Minho kissed Taepunzel’s temple for the second time. “We can always get you hair extensions.”

_____


A/N: yaay they lived happily ever after. lol. horrible.
Sorry for the rushed ending part, I srsly didn't sleep for this and the silliness is wearing me out. And anyway, Minho is a bit OOC, did you realize? And I might have mashed it up with Snow White too, just for the sake of Jonghyun getting a role in this, sorry again :P
I had so much fun writing this. So, meh. regret was never an option :-“

Have a random-but-delicious-still James McAvoy, guys.