That Year; Our Love Lasts Forever

That Year; That Summer [ONE SHOT]

Song for the Chapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6xPw2UWNQg

 

It's finally summer and I'm all ready for my long awaited summer vacation. 

Taking a deep breath of the fresh summer air, I hop onto our travel bus.

Outside, the scenery changed from the busy city life to the country side. We were all excited for our one week stay in the country side guest house.. I simply couldn't wait any longer.

 

The ride was long, it took almost an hour to reach but it was all worth it. A green field of dandelions welcomed us as we alighted. Just like a scene from a movie. Beautiful beyond words.

'Ah.. here we come summer!' I exclaimed as we raced each other to our rooms. 

I was quick to choose a room with a big wall length window overlooking the green field. Unpacking my things as fast as I could, I was so excited to explore the whole area. 

'Are you ready?' My friends shouted from the outside. 

'Go first! I'll catch up later!' I shouted back, and just then I absentmindedly glanced out of the window and saw a black figure looming near a tree just over the field. The wind blew the tall grasses and dandelions flew gracefully in the air.

Is that a person over there? I shrugged and ran out with my backpack. 

Tracing my path in the beautiful field I was barely catching sight of my own feet. The stalks were so tall they reached my waist. My group of crazy friends raced over at the other end, playing hide and seek. I chuckled giving them a thumbs up. Then again, in the corner of my eye I saw a shadow moved. A chill ran down my spine. Is it a out there? A monster? A ghost in broad daylight?

But curiosity gets the better of me, as I made my way deeper into the trees. 

I've walked for just a few minutes and came across a small stream. Clear and sparkling water flowed down the rocks into the river. I followed the stream downwards totally mesmerised by the scene. 

Then I saw a person sitting at the edge of a flat boulder. He must be the figure I saw. 

'Hi?' I said, feeling stupid immediately. 

He did not turn around or response. So I sat in a distance watching the little fishes swin freely in the water. Right mom says we shouldn't talk to strangers, so apparently I kept really awkwardly quiet.  

'Summer is always so hot.' He said. His voice sounded like wind chimes. So melodious along with the breeze. I looked up immediately and saw him smiling back at me. Facing the sun, his face sparkled slightly and his smile was the brightest I've ever seen. He was dazzling. I didn't even realise my jaws were literally hanging as he chuckled again and touched the water lightly with his hand. The ripples appeared on the water surface like a series of beautiful dancing cricles. 

'You came here for summer vacation too?' I asked carelessly watching his every movement in details, but heat rushed up my cheeks and I looked away. 

'No. I live here.' He said, but there was a certain melancholy to his tone. 

'Tell me your name.' He asked again. 

'you! and you?' I replied this time inching a little closer to where he was. I'm so gonna make a fool of myself. 

'Siwan.' He replied as he slowly lifted his head with his eyes closed, enjoying the breeze. His lips curled into a smile. He dazzled, totally swept me off my feet. 

'I liked the wind.' 

'Me too.'

'Tell me more about yourself will you? I'm totally making this awkward isn't it' He chuckled shuffling his own hair in embarrassment. 

I returned with a bashful smile and we talked for a long long time. FInally it's almost dawn and I have to go as my friend were spamming me unbeatable amount of phone calls and text messages. I quickly replied one of them and turned to Siwan relunctantly. He was gazing at the night sky with an unreadable expression. I frowned, wondering about his thoughts.

'I need to go back for dinner, do you want to join?' I asked unable to hide my own embarrassment for such a bold statement. I barely knew him but I admit he has a certain charm. When our eyes met,  I felt like the whole world stopped spinning and we were the only moving persons in this space and time. I was already so attracted to him and somehow I was a little afraid that my friends would like him too. 

'I'll pass. Go back now. We'll meet again.' He smiled and disappeared into the woods. I almost heaved a sigh of relieve.

 

And we did see each other. I came back the next day, I was so drawn to him after that night. We sat at the same spot and we chatted for hours, laughing and teasing each other, slowly overcoming the invisible gap between us.

Then I remembered something.

'I asked the guest house manager. She said they were the only household here. Where exactly you live in?'

His smile disappeared and frowned slightly. His expression was sad, and I could give him a hug right now. 

'you ah.. Will you believe me if I told you I wasn't human?' He paused waiting for my reaction. A sudden silence filled the atmosphere.

I laughed.

'NO WAY! HAHAHAHA!'

Then I stopped and a thought struck me. In the corner of my eyes, he was still waiting for my response. His expression was solemn.

What if he really wasn't human?

But I didn't felt scared. Instead, I was afraid we'll have to part forever.

'Who are you?' I asked picking up a stone and tossed it into the river. 

He was silent for a while then he inhaled deeply.

'I'm not supposed to be here. I should have be gone yesterday. But I saw you arrived and I just couldn't leave without seeing you again.' He said and took out something from his pocket. 

'Be gone? What..? Where are you leaving to?' I couldn't hide the panic in my voice. Tears started forming in my eyes and i fought back the urge. 

'There...' His voice was almost a whisper as he pointed towards the blue sky. He smiled and wiped a tear off my cheek with his thumb. His fingers were cold even in this hot summer. 

My tears fell uncontrollably. And here I thought we could have a little something.

'Don't... leave.' my voice shook as I tugged at his shirt. 

'You can forget me you. It's alright. Here, take this.' He held out my hand and placed a glistering droplet like crystal on palm. I watched in awe as it glistered like diamonds under the sunlight. 

'This is my teardrop from a long time ago. I've always wanted to give it away. To someone special like you. You make me happy, making feel the warmth again. And you you'll remember me like this.' 

'Don't leave...yet' I managed to force those words out of my throat. "Leave after..after I've left this place..' 

And he didn't say a word but held my hands tightly. Perhaps this is his way of saying yes. So I came again the next day, this time we played in the cooling river catching fishes and splashing water. We were both trying to cherish our only time together. Then I came again the next day and finally the end of the week.  

He brought me to the edge of a cliff that overlooked the city far away. Below us, the city lights shimmered in yellow, red and blue. We sat down to enjoy the scenery. 

'Thank you <you>you.' He said and planted a kiss on my cheek kissing away my silent tears. Surprising me as I didn't realised my own tears falling. 

"Thank you Siwan ssi.' I replied and touched his hands but my fingers went right through them. I gasped and another tear fell. 

'I guess it's time for me to finally go.' He said with a smile and a sigh of relieve. He looked so much older and more mature under the moonlight.

Siwan slowly reached out to touch my cheeks and his smile dazzled for the one last time. I watched helplessly as his body sparkled under the moonlight while his finger tips dissolved into tiny fragments into the night breeze. He was disappearing a little and little every second.

'Come. <you>you, into my arms now.' He held his arms wide open, holding them out for me.

Without another thought I ran into his arms, this time I felt him withour a doubt, I felt his warmth. I could touch him again. But I knew that my tears weren't going to stop him from leaving this place forever... leaving me forever. He chuckled softly into my hair and I closed my eyes. 

It was fast, and merciless. He has vanished into the night sky, while the remaining warmth of his touch lingered on my finger tips. All that left was myself and an empty space. My knees buckled, and I tumbled into the grass unable to stand for a long time. Tears fell uncontrollably.

He was gone, for real... and forever...

'<YOU>YOU YAH! WAKE UP! WE'RE HERE ALREADY!' A loud voice sounded in my ears and I slowly opened my eyes. I blinked slowly as the sunlight blinded me. Looking out of the window the same green field was welcoming me.

I'm here again Siwan ssi, can you see me? But you're not here... not anymore...

'Are you crying?' Someone asked as I wiped away a teardrop from the corner of my eye. 

'Naww it's nothing.' I replied and raced them into the green field. 

 

Summer! Here I come. I thought and closed my eyes remembering what he said that night...

 

'I love you you.' 

'Me too.'

 

- THE END -