Lost Connection

Lost Connection

 

 

"This project is worth twenty percent of your grade." Myungsoo hardly heard his teacher say. Mr. Park was supposedly talking about about a group project due the next week. That was all Myungsoo caught though, since he had other things in mind. Particularly Naeun's upcoming birthday.

I wonder kind of gift she'd want, he thought. Simple or fancy? Big or small? Myungsoo could not make out anything, which was odd since they were already close friends.This was evident ever since the day under the tree. After the comforting incident, Myungsoo and Naeun continued to grow closer. They ate lunch together, they did their homework together, they walked to their classes together. They did everything together. 

Myungsoo turned to look at the girl sitting beside him. As usual, she was listening attentively to the teacher. Over the past six months, Myungsoo learned of Naeun's personality. She was reliable, friendly, and optimistic, to say a few. But she still kept other features of herself. Like the same long, brown hair, the same rosy cheeks, and the same clear, big eyes. Which, strangely enough, were looking at him now.

"Kim Myungsoo!" Mr. Park shouted. "Stop daydreaming again!" The whole class stared at him. "The next time I catch you, I'll surely tell your parents," he threatened. "Now, as I was saying, you are to be partnered with Ms. Son for the project. Make sure to do your part."

Myungsoo scowled at the back of his teacher. Mr. Park was not his favorite teacher, but then again, he was not a favorite student either. Myungsoo simply daydreams too much, and Mr. Park simply scolds too much. 

Myungsoo turned his attention back to Naeun. She was still looking at him. Myungsoo smiled at her. We're stuck together, he wrote on a piece of paper. Naeun raised an eyebrow. You don't like that? she wrote back. Myungsoo chuckled. 

"Yah Kim Myungsoo! Son Naeun as well!" Mr. Park shouted at the two. "The next time I catch you two looking at each other, I'll tell your parents!"

They just laughed silently to each other.

 

------------------------

 

"All done." Naeun declared. Myungsoo looked at her. "Already? I wasn't much of a help." he pouted.

Naeun smiled slightly. "It's fine, I'm just happy we're finished." she said.

Naeun and Myungsoo were set on finishing the project given by Mr. Park. It was a late Saturday afternoon, the week before the project due. In usual circumstances, Myungsoo would help as much as he was needed. But today was not usual. It was Naeun's birthday; and he was too just too busy planning out his next moves.

Ok. Just bring her there, Myungsoo told himself. Everything will follow afterwards. He tried to calm himself down. Today was a far more important day then some would think. Everything just had to go right.

"Yah, Naeun-ah!" he called out to her. "Now that the project's done, let's go somewhere. Ok?" Naeun looked at him. "Why? Any special reason?" Myungsoo did not mention anything about her birthday so far, so all he could do was smile. 

"Let's go?" he asked. Without waiting for a reply, Myungsoo grabbed Naeun's arm and brought her out of the library and into his car. Myungsoo could feel a slight tension in the athmosphere, which was expected since he seemingly forgot Naeun's birthday. 

Myungsoo was relieved when the car came to a stop. Naeun looked out of the window. "Here?" she asked. He just smiled. "Well, this place is very special to me, so I want it to be special to you too." 

Myungsoo and Naeun walked silently among the trees. They were in the same place where they first met, and the same place where they first became close. They were in the field.

"Hey, Naeun," Myungsoo started. "how do you know this place?"

Naeun stared at him. "Me? I go here every summer ... For my father." Naeun had on a reserved yet peaceful look on her face. At times like these, Myungsoo knew that he was not to interfere any further. 

"Hey, did you know that there's a lake here?" Myungsoo asked. Naeun looked at him questioningly. "There is? I never saw it before then." Myungsoo grinned. "Let's hurry and go there then!"

Myungsoo took Naeun's hand and ran. The tension was removed as they ran hand in hand under the sunset, both laughing at the randomness of it all. It was a magical moment.

Myungsoo came to a stop, stopping Naeun as well. Both were breathing hard from the run; but they did not notice. Naeun looked up. She stopped panting.

"Myungsoo- shi," she started with her eyes widening. "It's, it's-"

"It's what?" Myungsoo asked with a smile. "I spent a really long time working on this, so you have to appreciate it. Alright?" he told her while leading her forward.

In front of the two was a dream come true for every girl. A small table with a white-silk cloth draped over it, two black chairs set across each other, and white-blue lights hung around the surrounding trees. It was the perfect candle-lit dinner.

"Myungsoo shi, did you really do all of this?" Naeun asked, still in disbelief.

He pouted. "Why, you don't like it?" he asked. "I did it since it's your birthday."

Naeun shook her head. "No, I love it." she said. "I really love it."

They celebrated the rest of Naeun's birthday talking and laughing under the moonlight. They talked about themselves, and others. Somehow, the conversation led to their parents.

"My dad is a business man and my mom is a house wife." Myungsoo said. "I'm really close to both of them, but my dad has been getting busy lately." he said. Naeun looked sympathetic.

"Yah, don't think that way!" Myungsoo shouted after he saw that look. "I understand my parents and I love them no matter what." He said firmly.

Naeun looked away. "What's wrong?" Myungsoo asked. "Nothing" She said. "It's just great that you can spend time them."

Myungsoo did not like the sudden change in the athmosphere. So, without following the original plan, he stood up and walked the few steps separating himself from Naeun. He kneeled down in front of her. Naeun's eyes widened.

"Yah, Kim Myungsoo. What are you doing?" she asked, shocked. "You're not proposing, are you?"

Myungsoo ignored Naeun's words. "Son Naeun," he started. "we have known each other for half a year. I'm not sure what you feel, but I know what I feel. " Naeun clasped her hands over .

"And so I, Kim Myungsoo, am asking if you, Son Naeun, would like to go out with me." Myungsoo told her, determined. Myungsoo could see tears forming in Naeun's eyes. He wondered if it was caused by joy or sorrow.

Please say yes, he thought. Say yes. Say yes.

"Yes." Came the answer. Myungsoo was not sure if he was dreaming or not. "Yes!" Naeun replied louder, now assuring Myungsoo of the reality of the situation.

Myungsoo was overcome with joy. His heart was pounding and he could feel butterflies in his stomach. Myungsoo stood up and wrapped his arms around Naeun. She returned the hug.

"Naeun-ah," Myungsoo said a few seconds later, breaking the hug. "this is my gift for you." And, taking a small box out of his pocket, he gave it to Naeun. She opened the box. And for the nth time that day, her eyes widened.

"It's beautiful," Naeun said genuinely. "is this really mine?" she asked as she held a silver necklace in her hand. Myungsoo beamed at her reaction. "Can I do the honors to put it on you?" he asked. Naeun smiled. "Only you."

 

-----------------------

 

Myungsoo and Naeun were sitting down under the shade of a tree. They decided to meet in the place most special to them. The field.

"So," Myungsoo hesitated. "What is it that you wanted to tell me?" He was scared.

She isn't going to break up with me, is she?He thought. We've been together for only a few months and we've  encountered no deep problem. Well, unless she's been lying to me. But I know she won't. So, what does she want to say?

"Myungsoo, I'm not breaking up with you." Naeun told him firmly, as if she could read his thoughts. Myungsoo felt a wave of relief rush over him. So she isn't breaking up with me. He smiled. Then another thought crossed his mind.

"So what is it that you want to tell me?" He asked, scared all over again.

"I," she paused. "I'm moving." she said.

Myungsoo felt shocked, and then horrified. "What?" he asked. "To where? When are you leaving? Why are you leaving? What's going to happen to me?" he asked all at once.

Naeun tried to force a smile. "I'm going back to Busan next month.You know, because my mom got a job transfer." She suddenly turned serious. "We're going to keep this relationship strong, ok?" she said, determined.

"So you won't leave me then, right?" Myungsoo asked her. She smiled. "Never. That would be the last that I would ever do." she said.

Myungsoo smiled. "We'll continue communicating like usual then." he said. "As if we were never apart"

 

 

-----------------------

 

Myungsoo was excited. Naeun has been gone for months, and this visit is the only opportunity he would get to see her since she left. Myungsoo ran around his room, preparing himself to pick up Naeun from the airport. Wallet, keys, gift. Complete. He thought. Ok then, time to pick her up!

Myungsoo was halfway through the door when he remembered that he forgot to turn off the TV.

Aish! He thought.  How could I forget to turn that off? It was right infront of me when I woke up!

Myungsoo hurried to his room. He was just about to turn it off when something caught his attention. The news.

 

BREAKING NEWS:

Airflight Boeing 737 was found to have crashed earlier this night. The reporter said. The fligth was expected to arrive in Seoul from Busan. The cause of the crash is not yet found, but no survivors are to be expected.

 

Myungsoo froze on his spot. Boeing 737? He thought. That can't be Naeun's plane. What are the chances? Myungsoo tried to convince himself.

But he was scared. His hand shivered as he took his phone out of his pocket to check the message Naeun had sent him about the information of her flight.

The message was sent only a few hours ago. How could she have been on that plane? But Myungsoo forced himself to check the message. Anyways, he could only rest assured when he confirmed that Naeun was on a different plane. He searched his messages and found the most recent one.

Myungsoo shi! It read. Make sure to be on time when you pick me up, ne? My plane is Boeing 737. Remember that!  I want you to be the first person I see here in Seoul, Myungsoo shi!

Myungsoo's heart stopped beating. Naeun's plane was Boeing 737. That plane crashed. No survivors are to be expected. So Naeun died.

Naeun is dead? Naeun is dead. Myungsoo felt dead.

 

Author's Note:

So, what do you think? I still have at least one more chapter to go until I can call this story complete so....  =D