Final

Bluebells and Wishes

If I could meet you with these wonderful wings -Of All Days by Top of Big Bang





~



Our society abandoned the old religions once we discovered the existence of The One.



The One rode on a black mustang, grabbing our attention as swift as the wind blew. With a wave of his hand, he had our trust.



With that same hand, he held our hearts.



The One was dubbed a king from the unanimous agreement of our people. We cheered at the kind smile he wore when we told him our words. We were so lost for so long. Finally, a savior had been given to us.



Our first rule as a nation was probably the most simple, but the most mysterious. The One requested all of us to shed our old names, and he would provide new ones.



When one person questioned him, we gasped in horror. None ever questioned The One!



But The One was not angry. No, The One was very kind. He told us the truth, that there were evil faeries hiding out in the forest. And if a faerie knew your name, they held unlimited power over you. They would take you as their slave, and you would be eaten when you were useless.



And so we formed a line in front of The One. When it was finally my turn, The One looked me over and contemplated for a long time before finally saying, "Your new name is Kai, guard it well."



The person who questioned him, Joonmyun, I believe it was, went missing that night.



His body was found a week later, right outside the forest.



~



"Kai!"



I turned around to see D.O had called me. I gave him a smile and motioned him to come closer.



"Where are you headed?" He asked.



I shrugged, "I don't know. Wherever the wind takes me!"



He laughed and patted my head, "My baby is growing up..."



I pinched his nose and ran away, shrieking like a maniac. Without any effort he caught up to me and tackled me to the ground, leaving me breathless.



Panting, I tried to get up. But once again I was pushed down. This time, by a warm kiss.



I couldn't help but deepen the kiss and pull him closer. He didn't seem to mind at all.



As The One came into power, he made a list of all the problems of our society. A very big problem was the fact that we competed against each other for love. Thus, The One gave us all engagement contracts when we were over the age of ten. D.O was mine.



After an intense make-out session he pulled away and laid down next to me.



"I love you," he told me.



Warm butterflies bubbled up inside my stomach, "I know, I'm amazing."



D.O rolled his eyes and turned to lay on his back, "What are your plans today?"



I shrugged, "Maybe I'll catch a deer. Did you want one for dinner tonight?"



He nodded and I stood back up, walking back to the house to retrieve my bow and arrows.



"Be safe," He whispered as he kissed my cheek.



"Sure," I said absentmindedly, looking inside the chest for my arrows, "Got them!"



"Bye!" He blew me a kiss and I caught it, already running out to catch our meal.



We weren't really married, but we acted like so. No one really got married anymore. It was just a useless title. Besides, we already knew we belonged to each other.



It was nice.



But I had a dangerous secret.



~



At the edge of the forest, I hid my weapons underneath a bush. Ever so carefully, I walked in.



Deeper and deeper, the sun began to disappear from above the tree tops. Before long, I was completely enveloped in darkness.



"Jongin."



I spun around to meet the wide, doe-like eyes. A smile formed and he grabbed my hands.



"Lu Han," I hugged him gently.



This faun was my secret. He was my forbidden love.



His lips made their way to mine and I clutched him tighter. His little horns bore into my forehead as he pushed ours together. And his wings sprung out to hold me.



With Lu Han, I felt safe. I felt whole. It was hard to believe that merely a year ago, I almost shot him in the heart. But as soon as I looked into those eyes, I knew I fell in love.



He smiled again and pulled me along a trail. Lu Han didn't usually speak unless it was necessary, like all faeries. But at the times we always met up, he showed me even more of his beautiful world.



This time, he led me to the ravine running through the forest. In it we gazed at the koi fish swimming around the edges. We lay on our stomachs and relaxed.



"They're beautiful," I whispered.



Lu Han nodded. I dipped my hand in to touch one of the fish, but suddenly another hand, wet and slimy, grabbed mine and pulled me forward.



I yelped in surprise, but Lu Han was quick to catch me. He pulled me out of the monster- or rather, girl's grip and growled, "Mine."



The female faery huffed and descended back into the water. Lu Han gently my arm, even though she didn't leave any marks.



"Mermaids," he whispered, "They could eat you. Let's move."



Sometimes I wondered if every creature in the forest was as much an enemy to Lu Han as they were to me.



I knew Lu Han came from an entirely different upbringing, but there was still so much I didn't understand. As humans, we banded together because we always felt lonely. A faery could be alone all their life and not worry about it. They were free creatures, that's how they always were.



So I often wondered why Lu Han stood by me.



"Lu Han," I started. He stopped and looked at me questioningly.



"Do...do you feel anything for me?"



A kiss was my answer.



~



At the end of the day, Lu Han helped me catch a deer. We were always careful because faeries sometimes took the form of animals, and I didn't want to shoot any of Lu Han's friends.



"You'll...be back?" He whispered.



"Of course," I kissed his temple as a thank you for the stag, and kissed his lips for a goodbye. He walked me as far as he could go, before the sunlight lay in front of his feet.



I could see the fire burn in his eyes. I squeezed his hand for comfort, but I doubt it did any good.



Because faeries perished in the sunlight.



"I'll be back within a fortnight. Stay safe and don't anger any others."



He nodded, still miserable from my leaving. Finally, he let go of my hand and I walked down the path, and out of the forest. And I resisted the temptation to turn back.



D.O was pleased with my catch and hugged me again. I felt guilty, but there was nothing to say. The least I could do was let him believe I loved him. Let him believe I was pure



A few days later, D.O and I were invited to the town pub for a big celebration. Neither of us really knew what it was we were celebrating, but a party meant alcohol. Something we both loved.



I wasn't expecting it.



"Gather round! See the wings we have pulled off a disgusting faery!" One of the old crones shrieked.



I froze mid step. D.O was interested in this too.



"We found a little faun playing outside the forest last night, so we ambushed him and tore off the wings! Disgusting green blood everywhere. But sadly the little monster got away. No matter, we have a prize now! This town will have pride!"



Lu Han.



The One clapped at this "victory" and everyone else followed.



"I forgot I need to be somewhere. I'll be back soon, ok?"



"Huh? But-"



I didn't hear D.O finish as I practically ran out of the pub. All that was floating around in my head was his face. What if those were his wings?



It was still early in the night, but the sun was gone. This meant he could be anywhere.



I stopped when I heard soft sobbing to my right. I carefully approached the figure, only to sigh in relief when it was him, wings and all.



But he held someone in his arms, another faun, with blood splattered over them. This meant that my people attacked his friend.



I took another step forward, only to hear a branch snap beneath my feet. Instantly on guard, Lu Han clutched the body closer to him and let out a particularly unfriendly growl. His face changed to pure fury. And for a minute, I was afraid.



"Lu Han." I called.



Immediately his features softened and he let out a sigh of relief. I stepped into the open and felt tears flow down my face.



"Is he..."



Lu Han gazed down, the other's still face. For a few moments, he didn't answer.



"Sehun...can't survive...no wings..."



A sob shook me and I hugged him. I felt this was my fault.



"I'm sorry..."



And suddenly I was thrown back by an exterior force. I looked up and looked into the eyes of The One.



Lu Han jumped up and was already in an attack position. I knew if I wasn't here, he would have already fled.



"Lu Han get out-"



D.O was in front of me then, and he smashed a rock onto my head, knocking me unconscious.



~



I awoke to a horrific sight.



The church bells rang loudly, and I assumed we were inside of it. Faeries cringe in pain to bells.



I opened my eyes and as my vision cleared, I saw Lu Han trapped in iron cuffs, and D.O force feeding him bread.



"Stop!" I screamed, and D.O flinched, "That isn't natural food! You're poisoning him!"



D.O turned back to me and glared, "You're the one who's poisoned. He's infected your mind."



"Kyungsoo please-"



His eyes filled with tears and he shouted, "See! You've broken so many rules! Look at what he's done to you!"



All this time, Lu Han was desperately trying to cough up the unknown amount of human food in his stomach.



"Jongin..." He wheezed.



D.O turned back and slapped my love, "You can't call him that! Only I can call him that! Only after we've made love!"



Tears fell down Lu Han's face, and I realized that D.O really did hate him. He wasn't only slowly killing him, but he wanted to make him suffer every inch of the way. Because Lu Han and I were separate species, we could love, but we couldn't indulge in traditional .



Even then, I didn't care, "I love him, Kyungsoo!"



"You're under this monster's spell. Once he's dead, you will be fine again."



I shook my head, "You can't kill him! I love him!"



D.O let the tears pour out.



"What happened to my beautiful, pure Kai?"



I groaned in disgust at that name.



"My name is Jongin."



D.O, no, Kyungsoo winced and he left the room, taking the faery in chains with him.



~



I wasn't an expert on faeries, but I knew enough. Once a faery was captured, they would eventually die. Faeries needed to be free, and without fresh air they would suffocate. If chained, the iron would find it's way into their blood stream and infect them. If given human food, they would cough up remnants of the unnatural nutrition. A captured faery was a dead faery.



A few hours later, I was led out by some guards to the execution. I struggled and kicked but it was no use. I was too injured to do anything.



The One was in the center of the village, leading Lu Han by an iron collar. I screamed in fury when he was pushed to his knees.



"A dangerous faery was found in the forest, bewitching one of our own into believing that right is wrong, and vice versa. Our poor Kai has been led astray!" The One announced.



I had to bite my tongue to keep from screaming every profanity I knew. Cussing out our leader wouldn't help Lu Han.



I fell to my knees too. "Please, I beg you to let him go."



"Denied. This faery is a sin of nature, and you will realize that when the sun peaks out in three, two...one."



A bright light stretched across the valley in the distance and climbed up to our village. And I wasn't prepared.



Watching a faery die is far from pleasant. It's almost like watching eternal anguish by the hand of Lucifer himself. As the sun hit Lu Han, the faun began to scream and thrash about.



A normal person would expect him to burst into flames, and claim it was a gateway to the evil world. But Lu Han didn't catch fire. Instead, his body transformed, into tiny blue flowers and fell to the ground.



The last I heard was the scream of "Jongin!"



It'a amazing how gullible people could be. After his execution, everyone believed I was perfectly fine. I let them think it too, for a short while.



And then I burnt the village to the ground.



~



With everything, and everyone, gone, I found myself at the edge of the forest again. Things were as quiet as ever, and my heart raced like a thousand horses.



"Lu Han?"



"Hm?"



"I'm coming."



______________________



Incredibly dark, right? Sorry ^^ That's how fairy tales have always been to me. Later on I might make a spin off on who exactly The One was. Please leave lots of comments!