Final

Just The Two Of Us

For as long as he could remember, Youngbae has had the biggest crush on Park Bom. She was everything he could ever want in a woman; smart, funny, drop dead gorgeous. The only problem? She had no idea who he was, but he was willing to do just about anything to get her to just say hi to him, even if that meant sneaking into his neighbor’s party.

Youngbae lived next to Choi Seunghyun, the king of all parties. And with it being his senior year of high school, Seunghyun was throwing them left and right. Every weekend, the sound of some hip-hop music would blare through the walls and Youngbae would sit alone in his room, cursing Seunghyun for playing such loud music yet also wishing he could be at the party.

Because although Seunghyun and Youngbae were on good terms, Youngbae was a year younger, and when it came to Seunghyun’s parties, there was a strict policy about letting underclassmen join in on the fun. He had tried to talk his way into an invitation once, but Seunghyun made it crystal clear that Youngbae was not allowed to come. Ever.

So to avoid getting on Seunghyun’s bad side, Youngbae would just it up and try not to think about the party. But when he heard Park Bom was going to be attending the party this Saturday, Youngbae knew one way or another, he was going to find a way to go.

***

Youngbae had never stared at his reflection for as long as he did the next Saturday night. He never usually had complaints about his looks but tonight it was as if everything about him just looked wrong.

Was this Mohawk hairstyle getting too old? He has had it for years.

And did this outfit look like he was trying too hard? Maybe the hat was too much.

Or what about the cologne? Was it too strong?

Youngbae groaned and changed his outfit for the millionth time. His original idea was to just dress as he normally did because wasn’t that what everyone said was the best idea? But then he thought about how Bom had never even glanced his way before so maybe it wouldn’t hurt to spice things up a bit.

In the end, he decided on a pair of jeans, white t-shirt, and black jacket with a pair of shades. It wasn’t what he would normally wear, but it wasn’t too far out of his comfort zone either.

So now that he was all set and ready to go, he just needed to find a way to somehow enter the party.

Going through the front door was not an option. There was almost always a pair of strong, beefy guys standing in the doorway, ready to deny entrance to whomever they felt wasn’t worthy enough to enter. There was a back door, but that would involve climbing over the backyard fence and that was just too obvious. The only other reasonable option was a window.

Youngbae did have his eye set on one in particular. It was on the side of Seunghyun’s house and just low enough to easily climb through. The only problem was that Youngbae had no idea where that window led to.

But because Park Bom was waiting on the other side, and he didn’t have anything else to do with his Saturday night, he took the risk and snuck onto the Choi’s property.

Since the place was so crowded and it was getting dark, hardly anyone noticed Youngbae tiptoeing towards the side of Seunghyun’s house and peeking through the window. It was too dark to see what was on the other side, but Youngbae didn’t care at this point and placed his hands onto the window. Slowly, he pushed it open until it was just big enough for him to crawl in. Once inside, he shut the window behind him and turned to face the rest of the room.

It was pitch black so he was still clueless as to his whereabouts but at least he had managed to get inside. He stepped around the room, flailing hands in front of him to avoid crashing into things until he found a door. His heart rate raced as he unlocked it.

This was it. He was about to officially sneak into one of Choi Seunghyun’s parties and hopefully get a chance to come face to face with Park Bom. He took a deep breath and slowly opened the door but was pushed back inside the dark room before he could even blink.

He tumbled to the floor, and thanks to a certain area his hands accidentally touched during the fall, he was able to tell that whoever shoved him back inside the room was a female.

“Are you ok?” Youngbae asked when they recollected themselves. The door had shut behind them so he was still unable to see.

She didn’t respond but Youngbae heard a sniffle. “Are…are you crying?”

“No.” She answered in a choked up voice. She sniffled again. “Maybe.”

She was unable to hold her tears back any longer and whimpered into the dark. Youngbae awkwardly sat beside her.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He offered.

“No. It’s embarrassing.”

“Well it’s not like I can see you anyways.”

She paused for a moment before caving. “My boyfriend just dumped me.”

Youngbae sat quietly. He didn’t really know what to say.

“I thought he loved me.” She continued. “That’s what he told me anyways.”

“He’s a jerk,” Youngbae said, because he had heard girls say that to each other about guys countless times.

“He really is. I mean, he didn’t even do it privately. He did it in front of all our friends and told me that being with me was just a waste of time. I didn’t want them to see me cry so I just ran off.”

Youngbae frowned. He really did think the guy was a jerk now. He scooted closer to the girl and draped an arm around her. “You deserve better than a guy like that.”

She turned towards him. “You think so?”

“Yeah! You’re a pretty girl, I’m sure you can find someone else.”

“How can you call me pretty when you can’t even see me?”

“I don’t need to see you. I can just tell.”

For the first time all night, she smiled.

“So what’s your story?” She asked. “You like to just hang out in dark rooms at parties?”

Youngbae slightly blushed and laughed off his embarrassment. “Not exactly. I snuck in.”

“You did? How come?”

“Well…I’m…I’m a…I’m not exactly…old enough.”

“So you’re an underclassman?”

Youngbae cringed at the word ‘underclassman.’ “Yeah. Pretty much.”

“Well, don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.” Youngbae breathed a sigh of relief and felt a weight on his shoulder. It took him a moment to realize it was the girls head resting against him.

“So what brought you to this party anyway?” She asked. “Most people don’t come alone.”

Youngbae was so thankful it was dark because he blushed once again. “It’s actually kind of stupid…”

“I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think.”

“It is.”

“Just tell me.”

Youngbae sighed. “There’s this…girl.”

“That’s not stupid!”

“Yes it is. She doesn’t even know I exist.”

“So? I’m sure if she got to know you, she’d like you.”

“Yeah right. She’s way too good for me.”

The weight lifted from Youngbae’s shoulders and he could feel the girls face just inches from his. “Don’t say things like that. You’re good enough for anybody.”

“How would you know?” He asked. “You don’t even know what I’m like…”

“I don’t need to see you to know. I can already tell you’re a good guy.”

Youngbae stared forward at the space he guessed the girl to be located. Maybe it was because they were sitting alone in the dark, maybe it was because he felt bad for her because of her breakup, or maybe it was just because he wanted to, but he leaned forward and kissed her. She kissed him back as if she had been waiting for their lips to come in contact for centuries and cupped her hands behind his neck. It almost felt like magic regardless of them hardly knowing each other and when they pulled away, a smile was on both their lips.

“So what about that girl you came here for?” She whispered.

“It looks like I already found her,” Youngbae replied and took her lips once again.

A few seconds later, a pounding was heard at the door and both jumped just as someone yelled, “Is somebody in there?”

“It’s Seunghyun,” She distinguished.

“I can’t let him see me,” Youngbae panicked. “He’d kill me if he knew I was here.”

“Well how did you sneak in here?”

“The window.”

She grabbed onto Youngbae’s hand. “Then quick, let’s go.”

They both rushed for the only exit as Seunghyun asked for the second time if someone was in the room. After pushing the window open, Youngbae lifted the girl out just before crawling out himself. Right when he was about to close the window, Seunghyun opened the door to the room they were just in.

“Forget the window,” The girl squealed. “Run!”

She grabbed onto Youngbae’s hand once again and they blindly ran across the lawn through the dark. Just before they reached the sidewalk Youngbae tugged her arm and whispered, “This way, my house is over here.”

She followed without a word as Youngbae dragged her through the bushes and onto his property. He let go of her hand only for a moment to open the front door and pulled her inside. After slamming the door shut, he peeked out the window and let out a sigh of relief to see Seunghyun was no where in sight.

“Whew, that was close.” She said from behind Youngbae.

“Yeah,” He replied and turned to face her. He had forgotten he still had no idea as to what she looked like until he saw the last person he ever expected to see standing in his living room.

“Park Bom?!”

His jaw was hanging wide open as he stared at her, the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on. “You’re the girl I was just with at Seunghyun's?”

“Well duh. We did just sneak out together.” She eyed him more closely. “Is something wrong?”

Youngbae stood there like an idiot and didn’t say a word. He nearly felt like he was going throw up or something because there was no way in hell he was just kissing Park Bom a few minutes ago. No. ing. Way.

“Wait a second…” She finally said with a playful smirk. “Don’t tell me I’m the girl you went to the party for.”

Youngbae nervously fidgeted with his jacket. “Would it be weird if you were?”

She stepped closer and Youngbae was so nervous he didn’t move as she slipped her hands over his shoulders and around his neck. “No it wouldn’t be weird,” She said flirtatiously. “In fact, I’d be flattered if a guy like you was that interested in me.”

“Really?”

“Like I said earlier, I can already tell you’re a good guy.”

Bom closed the remaining distance between them until their lips met once again. The familiar taste of her lips told Youngbae that she definitely was the girl from earlier and he wrapped his arms around her as he realized that what she said earlier was true; he was good enough for anybody, including her.