sixteen

word:kill

“What are you reading?”

 

Sungkyu jumped violently, throwing his blanket over the contents of Kwon Yuri’s file and looking around wildly. There was no one in sight. He paused and raised his eyes to the ceiling, where Min was perched on one of the braces, her gaze quizzical.

 

“Min, what did we say about privacy?” he motioned for her to come down, his hands shaking slightly.  There was no way she could read anything from that height. She leapt gracefully from her perch, landing perfectly on her feet with only a slight thump. She straightened, smoothing out her skirt. “We leave you alone, so it’s sort of expected you do the same for us,” he told her, getting to his feet.

 

His room, unlike Jepp’s and CL’s, was pristine, every book in place and not a speck of dust on the floor. It reminded Min of her own room, except that her bookshelf was full of fiction and her room was a lot darker; admittedly purposely made so. She liked the dim darkness of it compared the stark white of her former room back at the Facility.

 

“What were you reading?” she simply asked again.

 

“It’s for a special order,” he made up on the spot. “Over in Brom.” Min searched his eyes for a few seconds – he steeled them to look as blank as they could – and then she nodded.

 

“Okay,” she said, moving over to his bed. “But you do know that I was watching you, Sungkyu, and when someone watches you while you hide things you know they’ll always find it.” She squatted down and threw back the blanket, exposing the Aboveground emblem in all its glory. Sungkyu sighed, deciding that it was pointless to keep resisting. He flopped back down on the bed. “Aboveground,” she murmured. “What is that?”

 

“I’ll let you in on it, but you can’t tell anyone okay? Not even Jepp. And especially not CL.” She nodded absently, already reaching for a document. He sat up and held up his right hand, pinkie extended. “Pinkie swear.”

 

“What does that mean?” Min stared at the digit.

 

“It means that you promise with all your heart and if you break it the fires of hell will eat you up and you’ll die a long, slow, tortuous death,” he told her with a completely straight face. He always found a little strange how easily he connected with Min, how he could almost be his old self around her. He supposed it was because she was so moody and emotionless already; if he was too it would be like sitting in a morgue. And she was just a kid anyway.

 

“That sounds horrible,” she blinked twice, and then held her own pinkie out.

 

He locked it in and pressed their thumbs together. “Okay.”

 

“What a strange ritual,” she remarked, going back to the document in her hand. “Where I came from we didn’t –.” Her eyes widened and the colour drained from her face. She dropped the paper as if it had burned her, scrambling backwards on the floor. Sungkyu noticed beads of sweat appearing on her forehead, and he felt slightly worried. “Min?” he raised an eyebrow, getting to his feet.

 

“What is this?” she whispered, looking up at him. Her eyes flashed silver in the lamplight and he caught the expression of utter terror in her face. But there was something else in her eyes, something he hadn’t seen in her before. It was almost a look of hatred.

 

“I… it’s an order,” Sungkyu remained adamant, though he couldn’t quite meet her gaze. “It’s just an order, that’s all.” He blinked “What -.”

 

“Liar,” Min hissed, and he looked up at the sound of her voice. She sounded like a different Min.

 

“What…?” he started, but in a flash she had pushed him against the wall, a black katana with a silver handle pressed to his throat and one hand tangled in his top. He stared blankly at the blade in shock, trying to remember where he had seen a sword like this before. It was horribly familiar…

 

“Liar!” Min growled through gritted teeth, her expression set in a snarl. “They sent you to kill me, didn’t they?” She pulled him towards her, her gaze murderous. He had never been so physically close to her in the year he had come to know her. “Didn’t they?!”

 

“Min, what the hell are you talking about?” Sungkyu retorted, straining away from the blade, but she only pressed it further into his skin, her eyes flashing red before him. He could see something close to madness in them, and it unnerved him immensely to see the usually indifferent, silent Min acting this way. What the hell is going on? As he stared up into her face he tried to make sense of it all, to find a reason for her to act like this. “Where I came from…” His eyes widened slightly. Something clicked into place in his head. Kwon Yuri. The Facility. L’s sword. It all makes sense now. “Where I came from…”

 

Sungkyu knew that if he was going to get out of this he was going to have to be honest. Plus, he had pinkie sweared.

 

“Min,” he said as calmly as he could as her eyes bore into him. “I’m not from the Facility. I don’t know what goes on there but believe me when I say I’m not from there.” She paused, her grip slackening slightly in the folds of his top and the red fading from her eyes. “I don’t know what you know about that place or about Kwon Yuri, but I’m not here to kill you. Please believe me.”

 

Min stared at him for a few seconds more before tossing her sword aside and releasing her hold on him, her expression softening. “Sorry,” her voice had dropped to a low whisper, and she closed her eyes, bowing her head. “Sorry. I’m so sorry, Sungkyu.”

 

“It’s okay, I-.” he started, but she stepped forward, leaning the top of her head against his chest and pushing him back against the wall. He tensed up slightly, staring out the window of his room in an attempt to calm himself down. So warm… have people always been this warm?

 

“It’s not okay,” she said, her voice muffled. “It’s not. I raised my sword against you when I swore I would never do that again. I tried to kill you when I told myself I would never kill again. It’s not okay. It’s not.” She sounded almost close to tears, and Sungkyu closed his eyes.

 

“You’re from the Facility, aren’t you?” he asked offhandedly, sounding weary. Since finding out of the existence of the place an awful lot of people seemed to be connected to it. Jiyoon. And now Min. She nodded, digging further into the bones of his chest. He hesitated for a second, than placed his hands on her shoulders and pushed her away slightly. “Why didn’t you say?”

 

“We all have our secrets,” she said quietly. “You have your secrets too, don’t you Sungkyu?” She raised her gaze to his and he held it, though his own wavered slightly.

 

“Tell me about the Facility. Tell me about Kwon Yuri,” he said instead.

 

She nodded, eyes narrowing slightly. “I’ll tell you. But you can’t tell anyone. Anyone. Or I’ll be dead. I’ll be dead.”

 

He paused at that. He remembered the last time someone told him to not tell anyone, and he ended up pointing a gun at that person and telling them to get out. He thought it was the only way he could save her, but in the end he had a feeling she didn’t want to be saved anyway. “Can you really trust me with that?” he murmured, and Min blinked at him, looking confused.

 

“Why not?”

 

-

 

Sungkyu lay stretched out on the roof, his hands behind his head as the cold night wind whipped at his hair and sent goosebumps spiraling down his skin. He didn’t notice; his mind was too preoccupied with what he had just learned about the Facility. Of what really went on in Deepground. From Min’s perspective, at least.

 

He was still in slight shock over it, was still amazed that there was another world below his feet. Because that was what it was, the Facility. A different world. A sick, twisted underground world where every day was a battle for survival and the loss of life was swept aside like it was nothing. He gritted his teeth as he gazed up at the dark plate of Aboveground above him. You knew about this and yet you did nothing about it? You know about these experiments on people, on kids, and you aren’t stopping it? How could you, Zinger, Yunho. How could you?

 

And yet he had a disconcerting feeling that that brutal, cruel life sounded chillingly close to his own.

 

Min had told him everything she knew, or so she said. He thought back to the moment when, in a sudden random realization, he questioned if CL and Jepp were from there as well. After all, CL with her ears certainly could not have come from anywhere on Level, or Aboveground. But Min looked at him blankly.

 

“I don’t know,” she had said, shaking her head. “I’m sorry. I don’t know.”

 

He believed her.

 

His clenched his fist as he thought about the trials she had to go through, the fights she had to endure just to survive. She had only been an innocent child; she didn’t deserve any of this. The flare of anger continued to burn within his chest as he continued to stare up at Aboveground.

 

“Kwon Yuri,” he growled. “I’ll make you pay for what you did to Min. I’ll make you pay.”

 

“Sungkyu?”

 

Sungkyu, a little startled, craned his head backwards to look at the figure behind him. There was a rustle of skirts and then Min seated herself beside him, the cold southerly wind whipping her hair around her head. “If you’re still going to Deepground…” she paused and took a breath. “I’m going with you.”

 

“What?” Sungkyu sat up in surprise. “Min, -.”

 

“No,” she cut him off with a shake of her head. “You can’t go in alone, you don’t know the Facility. I’m the best person to go in with you because I know the place like the back of my hand, and it looks like I’m not on their wanted list. I don’t think so anyway, that’s probably why they haven’t sent anyone after me yet. And I can fight. I know I have this aversion to killing people because I told myself I would never kill ever again but I know what the people in the Facility have done and I know what they’re capable of so I’ll fight. I’ll fight with you.” She had taken on a fierce look and she blushed slightly when she realized how much she had said. Sungkyu stared back. It still took some time to get used to this ‘new’ Min, with her strong, firm tone, though her eyes still remained dead and slightly hollow. It reminded him of the top assassins back at Aboveground, the ones who killed without remorse or second thoughts.

 

“Wow,” he said instead. “I think that’s the most you’ve said ever since I met you.”

 

“I know.”

 

“It’ll be dangerous.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You might get killed.”

 

“I know.”

 

“And if you get caught there’s no telling what they’ll do to you.”

 

“I know.”

 

Sungkyu lay back down, hands beneath his head as he stared up at the stars. Min watched him silently. “Equivalent exchange,” he simply stated. “I’ll protect you and you protect me. But if something happens to me down there you have to promise to get the hell out of there as fast as you can.”

 

“Okay. And if something happens to me you have to leave, immediately.” She tapped him on the shoulder. “Pinkie promise.” She held out a finger.

 

Sungkyu stayed silent, his gaze on her digit. “I can’t promise that,” he said quietly. “I have to fulfill my mission. But,” he lifted his eyes to her face, “if something happens to you, I’ll go down with you. Deal?” Min swallowed and opened to protest. “Yeah, deal,” he quickly hooked his finger around hers before she could. “No backing out now.”

 

“How are you going to take her? Remember what I told you about her, about what she’s capable of.” Min asked after a while. Sungkyu smirked slightly, but didn’t look at her.

 

“You don’t know,” he said, “what I’m capable of.”

 

-

 

He told her that he was leaving a few days later. CL stared wordlessly at him, her eyes wary. Since Jiyoon’s attack she had been slightly tense around him, afraid that he might say what she thought he suspected, but it seemed that he was still none the wiser about her. If anything, he still seemed oblivious to the existence of the Facility.

 

It was dreadfully uncharacteristic of him to be so oblivious, and it only made her suspect that he knew something even more.

 

“You can’t go anywhere,” she said shortly, without smiling. She was finding these days that it was harder to smile around him, especially when she thought about the way he winced when trying to pick up heavy items. “Not with that hand.”

 

“I’m fine,” he replied. “I did the Taking the other week, didn’t I? It’s fine.” He looked down at his hand as he spoke, curling and uncurling his hands. She had just returned from the Taking and Jepp still hadn’t returned. He always had a tendency to be the last to come home.

 

“You shouldn’t,” she objected. “Nerves are delicate you know, and it’s only been two months. What if you sever them again?”

 

Sungkyu sighed, then got to his feet, hands stowed in his pockets. “It’s fine.”

 

“I know you’re not going on a delivery job, Skyu.”

 

He paused mid-step, then suddenly leaned over her, his hands on either side of her shoulders and his face unnervingly close to hers. CL felt her cheeks flare and did her best to look as unaffected as possible as her heart rate sped up and her breath caught in . “I don’t tell anyone about your regeneration,” he said quietly, his mint-scented breath curling around her. “And I don’t ask about it. You don’t have to know everything about me, CL.”

 

CL grinned despite herself, a less-than-friendly smile that caught him slightly off guard. “Remember the last time we were this close? That was the first time you pulled your gun on me,” she laughed slightly at the memory. Her voice dropped to a whisper. “And it was the first time you told me to get out. Always telling me to leave, aren’t you Skyu?”

 

The stare-off lasted for a few seconds, in which CL felt her heartbeat resonate through her whole body. She was aware that they were sharing the same oxygen, that he was so close she could count each individual eyelash.

 

She was also aware of the unfamiliar expression on his face, one that she hadn’t seen before and couldn’t quite read.

 

And then he pulled away and straightened, walking past her towards his room. “By the way,” he said offhandedly, without turning around. “Min will be coming with me.”

 

CL heard the door slam behind her before burying her face in her hands and swallowing back the strange relief and disappointment that had risen within her.

 

-

 

“So you let them go, huh?” Jepp dropped the curtain as he watched Sungkyu adjust the helmet around Min’s head. He turned to find CL leaning against his desk, her arms crossed and eyes narrowed. “I’m surprised.”

 

She blew a bubble and popped it, resuming her chewing. “You know I can’t stop him.” She walked forward and took a look out the window herself. Sungkyu as checking that Min’s arms were tight around his waist, and she could almost hear his quiet “hold on” as he revved the engine. The bike roared to life and they sped off down the street.

 

“I feel like we’re less close than ever before,” she admitted to Jepp, turning away and leaning against the window frame. He plonked himself in his chair and twiddled his thumbs around each other.

 

“I dunno, he seems okay with me,” he shrugged. “But I get what you’re saying. It’s like the knowledge that all of us are keeping something from him… it doesn’t feel right, y’know? But then again, we’ve all been keeping secrets from each other this whole time. But, I guess, yeah, this time it feels different.” He still couldn’t quite tell what it was, whether it was the growing tension between CL and Sungkyu, or the sudden, and admittedly surprising fact that he had taken Min along with him for a mere job. Sungkyu hates working in a team, he mused. Something must be up.

 

“Just between you and me,” CL started, and he looked up at her. “Key reckons that something big is about to happen. Something that involves Deepground.”

 

“Like what?” he raised an eyebrow, ignoring the sudden chill that ran through his body at the thought of the place. He managed his usual easy smile and flashed it at her, hoping to ease the tension she was exuding. He had never seen her so strung up before.

 

She shrugged. “Who knows. I just think that something’s about to happen and I think Sungkyu might be the one to start it.”

 

“What makes you say that?” Jepp half got to his feet and stared at her.

 

She shrugged again. “Woman’s intuition?” she suggested, and grinned when he laughed.

 

“Haven’t seen you smile for a while now,” he remarked as he held his hand out towards her.

 

“I just feel really anxious about something,” she admitted. “I don’t know what though.” She unfolded her arms and took his hand, where he led her out of the room and into the kitchen, pushing her into a chair and squatting down beside her and looking up into her face.

 

“Well, nothing that an awesome comforting hot chocolate of mine can’t fix,” he grinned warmly at her before winking and ruffling her hair. “Cheer up little miss rabbit hunter, the world isn’t gonna end anytime soon. Anyway, I like bubbly, bright, saucepan-wielding sugar addict CL best!” He laughed as she made to hit him, dodging her and heading towards the cupboard. “Maybe we should start selling my hot chocolates down at the bar huh?”

 

CL laughed. “Yours will never beat mine,” she declared. “Oh, and extra peppermints, please.”

 

“Wanna bet?” he smirked back, turning on the stove. “Look, mine are clearly better than yours, I dance while making them.” CL laughed again as he leaned over the table and switch on the ancient looking radio that sat on its surface. A jazzy tune started playing as he started dancing around the saucepan. “Care to join me?” he held a hand out to her and pulled her to her feet, twirling her around and back.

 

“Okay, I get it, your hot chocolates are cooler,” she laughed later as they leaned against the counter, a mug in hand. Jepp whooped and fist pumped the air, looking triumphant.

 

“That means you have to put it on your menu now,” he grinned at her.

 

CL smiled back, feeling like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. “Thanks Jepp,” she said.

 

Jepp knew she wasn’t thanking him just for the chocolate, and he nodded to show he understood what she meant. “Don’t mention it,” he waved a hand around languidly. “If I wasn’t around you and Gyu probably would’ve burnt this place down the ground by now, and then where would we stay?” He grinned again. “Anyway, who would make you awesome hot chocolates then?”

 

She’s cute when she’s not covered in blood, said the voice within him, and Jepp felt his smile disappear. He hurriedly brought his mug up to his lips to disguise his sudden change of expression, alarm rushing through him. The voice had been making an alarming amount of appearance within him ever since being unleashed on CL, and it was disconcerting that he didn’t know how long he could keep it within him.

 

“Shut up,” he muttered in to his mug. CL turned her head towards him.

 

“What?” she raised an eyebrow.

 

“Nothing,” he counteracted with a quick smile as Yongguk laughed raucously within him. “Everything’s fine. Just fine.”

 

-

 

“So tell me again why it rains ash?” CL nudged Key as they entered the door to the bar and dumped their shopping bags on the counter.

 

“Tell me again why you had to drag me along to do your shopping when you could have gotten Jepp to help you?” he retorted.

 

“Key…” CL gave him a warning look, though the grin remained on her face.

 

“Just kidding darling,” he smiled. “So I don’t know exactly why it rains ash, but I do know that it signifies when a Hunter enters and leaves an area. In your case it rained when Jiyoon arrived, didn’t it? I’m still not sure of the science of it, but I’m pretty sure it has its significance. Sort of like the Snatchers and their evil threads of doom,” he waved his arms around in front of him. “Maybe you should ask Zico?”

 

“He still bolts from the room whenever I appear,” CL shook her head, rolling her eyes. “I don’t think he’ll ever trust me again.”

 

“Aww, don’t worry, it took me a while to convince myself when I saw you that you weren’t here to take me back as well,” Key assured her with a pat on the shoulder. “Though I guess some part of me wouldn’t believe you even took on the job in the first place.”

 

“I’d never,” she made a mock shocked face at him. “How dare you even think that! I should drag you back right now!”

 

They both laughed, and proceeded to store the items in the cupboards. When they stepped back out into the open air CL spotted a small white fleck floating down in front of her face. “Oh?” she cocked her head to the side. “Isn’t it a little early for snow?” She held out a hand and watched as the flake disintegrated into her palm in a tiny pile of dust. “…ash?” she whispered, looking at Key who was inspecting his hands as well.

 

“Not just any ash,” he said grimly, returning her gaze. “This is white ash. The purest form.”

 

“What does that mean?!” CL cried out, sudden apprehension taking a hold of her and rendering her blood cold. She grabbed his shoulders in a daze, her expression terrified. “Key, what does that mean?!”

 

“It means,” he said slowly, heavily, and she hated the hopeless tone of his voice. “It means that the queen herself is here. The Head Hunter has arrived in the Precinct.”

 

CL released him without a word and took off in a sprint towards the church.