Like the Wind - Part One

like the wind

“Are you sure you will be ok?”

I smiled as soon as I heard that question and tilted my head upwards towards the sky. The rays of the sun were warming up the skin of my face. I hope it’s going to remain sunny for the rest of the day, I thought to myself.

“Can you stop smiling to yourself like an idiot and please answer me?”

There was a warm hand being placed on my right shoulder. I took that hand in my own and hold on to it for a moment. Strange. His hand seems to be much more calloused now than it was in the past. I wonder what he was doing for the past few months when he said he was busy.

“You can’t trust me? How long have I been wandering around not being able to see anything at all?” I answered, turning my head towards him and flashed a toothy grin after that.

“Eighteen,” he answered back nonchalantly. I chuckled and he laughed along with me and then there was silence.

I wondered how my best friend looked like. This person had been with me for the past ten years, guiding me every single day of my life ever since then. He is my pair of eyes since God decided not to give me one that is functioning. He led the way for me every single day of my life and sometimes I wondered what if he will no longer be by my side one day. What will I do? Will I be blind all over again?

“I’m serious. Are you sure you will be okay, Mr Dinosaur?” he pinched my arms and let his hand rest there. There was a hint of worry in his voice which he failed to hide it from me.

Times like this I wish I could tell him that I don’t think I will be okay. Why would I? There were thousand and one dangers that may lie on the path for someone blind like me. But, I have to be okay. He will not be with me forever.

Maybe today, tomorrow, next week, next month or next year, one of us will say goodbye to the other. But that one of us will never be me. Where can a useless person like me go to? Whereas someone as talented as him can be anywhere in this world and would receive more appreciation than he could when he is next to me.

“I wish you can stop calling me names ‘cause we are not ten years old anymore, you know? And yes, I am going to be okay. It’s not as if I’m going to trek up the mountain, I’m just taking a stroll around the neighbourhood. Plus, I have Bilolong, remember? Geez, sometimes I wish you can stop worrying about me too much,” I grumbled and tapped Bilolong, my cane, to the ground.

I heard a sigh from him. Did my opinions hurt his feelings? I put my right hand out and he took it into his. I gave his hand a little squeeze and smiled. He laughed and squeezed it back.

“Alright. Just be careful. I heard from my neighbors the other day how a lot of girls have been praising what a fine lad you’ve become. They might just molest you and get away with it you know,” he joked. There was still a hint of worry in his voice as he said this. I wondered why was it that I have such a worry wart as a best-friend.

“You’re just jealous nobody wants to touch you. But if there ever is, I shall share my experience,” I said, sticking out my tongue just to irk him.
He slapped my arms like he always does every time I .

“I don’t think I want to hear any of it! What ungracious act, dear God. I think you better start walking. If there’s anything, call me. I’m number one on your speed dial anyway right?” he rambled on while tucking my stray hair behind my ear and continued to fuss around with the shirt he asked me to wear this morning. He said the shirt was the latest trend but it was not as if I knew what the latest trend was anyway.

“Yes, I know. You repeat that every single time. I better be off or I will never get there. I’ll be back before you know it. Bye, Kibum!” I yelled to my best-friend and moved away from him and put my free arm up to wave goodbye.

“Bye, Jjong! Be careful not to step on any dog’s poo!” Key yelled back. His high pitched laughter echoed throughout the neighbourhood after that.

**


A/N: Umm, hi? *waves shyly* I'm not really new to K-Pop but this is my first time writing a fan-fic and I apologise if there are any errors here and there. I don't really expect to have readers to this fic since I'm new and inexperienced x) But I really like to share  a blind Jonghyun and a protective Key (I reversed their roles, I'm sorry) with you all. In chapters to come, the rest of the SHINee members might come in  and the genre might change or I might just leave it like this, idek where this is bringing me to hmmm