Chapter 4 - Waiting Room

You & Me...Worlds Apart

#4

 

He opened his eyes a bit slowly, sleepiness still engrossed behind his eyelids and dry throat. Then, he blinked twice and stilled for a moment, savoring every inch of warmth enveloping him at the moment. He was on his side, facing the wall with his comforter tangled in all the ways between his ankles with his arms folded in his chest, hugging one of his too many pillows. He sealed back his eyes to its prior location, connecting his soul with his surroundings, it was quiet. He searches through his mind and tries to find information on what day it is and what to expect from it. And then, they were once again fluttering to open as he his back, now fully awake to collect his thoughts; Thursday– Strong Heart, long day. When his clock breaks the silence, he sighed.

 

Eunhyuk had succesfully beaten his alarm in waking him up, for three consecutive days.

 

He was not the first to wake up though, when he opened his door, Shindong casually passed by him – muttering him a ‘Good Morning’ with a mug of steaming coffee in hand and a plate of french toast in the other, their television already set in the morning news with just the faintest of sound coming from it. He goes straight to the bathroom with his little basket of toiletries and a towel around his neck.

 

It felt like a good time to laze around and Eunhyuk didn’t waste the only time he can, using the opportunity when warm water kissed him and all his glory, whistling to some tune as he grabs the loofah.

 

The moment he came out, he first notices his Leader sitting at the couch – all fresh and clean. “Is today a special day?” He raises an eyebrow and is not ashamed to be seen half- by the two older guys. Shindong smiles and stands up, disappearing in his room and appearing within a second before going straight to where he had just been.

 

“I’m sure you don’t want to get sick,” the older guy reprimanded with a gruff, sighing heavily under his breath.

 

Eunhyuk pondered for a little while but nodded eventually, walking towards his room but stopping just as he opened the door. Leeteuk is never this early for a whole day of recording, even if he should wear the role model on his shoulders. “Seriously though, w–”

 

“Manager hyung made sure to call me until my eardrums bleed.” He returned his vision at the flat screen, Leeteuk is obviously annoyed and he didn’t bother showing it. “Why have I even forgotten to put my phone in silent?”

 

Eunhyuk chuckles and wants to flat out tell him how he has been beating his alarm clock for a few days now, but decided that the coldness against his damp skin should be treated first and so, he opens his door instead.

 

 

 

 

“I don’t know how you managed to be up so early and still be the last one to leave the dorm.”

 

He gives off his infamous gummy smile as he accepts the large cup of coffee from their manager who’s clearly tight on time. Beside him, he hears Leeteuk asking the stylist if he could change into black pants. “I have to be well presented hyung,” he says and takes a sip, head turning to the side for a last minute touch of foundation from the make-up artist.

 

Their manager rolls his eyes, “If only you can pick your clothes the day before, maybe you can afford to grab your own coffee at the dorm,” and leaves the waiting room with a shut of the door.

 

However, Eunhyuk was not affected, he had heard worse coming from the older guy. Years of spending time with each other surely made each nag just a second nature to them by now. He shakes his head despite the other being not present to see his answer and thanks the make-up artist as he stands from his stool and joins Shindong at the couch, reading today’s script.

 

With his free hand, he grabs his copy and scans the highlightened parts for him. But, even before he could, something kept his eyes at the upper part of the paper, where the name of the guests are written and printed. In which the name of a one particular girl Eunhyuk hadn’t seen for a while is included.

 

Park Gyuri

 

He drags is eyes away and catches the name of another Kara member, Kang Jiyoung.

 

A smile blooms unbeknownst to him, triggering memories of the past that Eunhyuk suddenly felt like attending a reunion party rather than a schedule. And as if people can hear his thoughts, someone knocks on their dressing room. He turns his head towards the door, expecting a colleague – perhaps a hoobae – when a head poked in between the cracks of their waiting room door and Shindong visibly lightens up.

 

“Gyuri-ah!”

 

Eunhyuk did not expect this one.

 

Shindong motions for her to walk in and she complies, not once forgetting to greet whoever is inside the room and it includes Eunhyuk. “How have you been doing, Gyuri-ssi?” He managed to ask while she takes the space left by Shindong, Leeteuk remains at the stool but is now facing them.

 

“I have been good, Eunhyuk-ssi,” she says politely and he nods. Even after Sukira, nothing had changed, at least Eunhyuk thinks. What people have seen through their internet was a good acting skill between idols. Gyuri has never been close to comfort with any Super Junior member – although Eunhyuk is not entirely close to her as well but still, comfortable enough to be around her – except for Shindong and quite unexpectedly, Kyuhyun. Now, Eunhyuk doesn’t even know the story between Kyuhyun and her; because as far as he is concerned the only members she has been having interactions without the concern of cameras are the three members inside the very room. And even if, Leeteuk and him isn’t that close to her on a personal level compared to Shindong.

 

Eunhyuk thinks people are unpredictable no matter how much one knows the other like the back of their palm, but Eunhyuk also thinks that Gyuri’s not only unpredictable but is also full of surprises as well. If her sudden visit during his birthday in Sukira before was any indication.

 

“You’re looking good,” Leeteuk comments from where he is with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes like the cliché things he usually does. Eunhyuk rolls his eyes. Leeteuk had always been dropping such compliments towards the other group leader ever since they had become a permanent guest in their radio show. And Eunhyuk would always catch Gyuri smiling sheepishly with the slightest tint of pink.

 

“But never been as good as you are,” when their leader laughed – all booming and thunderous, the room suddenly became their radio booth with headphones cradled around their necks. Eunhyuk will not admit, but he surely missed the good old times where he used to have casual conversations towards the members of Kara even just for the sake of the show.

 

“Still as witty as before too, I see.” Leeteuk points out, schooling his posture on his seat.

 

Gyuri laughs, small and bubbly, covering with her dainty hand. Eunhyuk curiously his head on the side, “I learn from the best.”

 

Leeteuk’s voice booms again in another round of laughter, making the other leader shy away looking small right next to Shindong. “So…” he trails off suddenly, voice distinctively changing gears and Eunhyuk does a cursory glance around the room that is suddenly empty aside from the four of them. Eunhyuk knows the tone, he thinks they’re not in the position to ask but he’s also curious and Shindong’s not doing anything to stop their leader. “How are you two doing?”

 

Gyuri visibly gets caught off guard, widening her eyes as soon as the question was out of its bag. She trails her fingers through her hair, masking her embarrassment with indifference. “Well.” Eunhyuk watches on. “We’re good as well.”

 

“They stayed in Japan, right? When he’ll be back?” Gyuri looks even more surprised at Shindong’s question.

 

“After their promotion ends. So, maybe a after a few months.” She coughs, clearly uncomfortable at the current conversation. Eunhyuk pities her, but they all know how everything works, they can only look after each other after all. Although he still believes that Leeteuk should’ve not asked, yet.

 

“I heard he took you on a date.” Leeteuk smirks.

 

Gyuri visibly pales.

 

“That Yunho is sure sneaky,” he continues. Gyuri fidgets on her sit. “Not only had he managed to have a girlfriend but al–”

 

“Speaking of Japan,” Eunhyuk interrupts, surprising himself for speaking up. “You guys are a big hit over there.”

 

The tint of pink was back in her cheeks in an instant. Shindong shoves her teasingly repeating the country’s name with much emphasis. She slaps his arm lightly but still fails to hide her proud smile. “You guys are big over there too.”

 

“But not as big as you guys are.”

 

“Yeah,” Leeteuk playfully mocks. “Everyone’s hooked up with your dance.”

 

Gyuri flushes even more and Shindong laughs wholeheartedly, going even as far as standing up and mimicking the infamous dance step just to spite Gyuri without the bite.

 

And everything continues as the room gets filled with noises courtesy of his band members and laughters from their visitor. Coffee long forgotten and probably cold, Eunhyuk silently watched from the side, noticing how she had grown and matured as a fine young woman that she is now. However, traces of the mischievous yet bashful girl he knew from before were still there when she laughed at some story Shindong had said that he didn’t caught at all.

 

Gyuri is beautiful and Yunho is one lucky guy, Eunhyuk admits.

 

 


A/N: On behalf of the HyukrianTeam, i deeply apologize for not updating this story for two years, four months, and four days. We should've updated this way (years) before but i guess we just really got busy and as one of the authors, having lost your muse is really hard (I already had to give up my fic because of that). I don't blame you guys if you have lost your interest now or doesn't even remember the story anymore, it's understandable. And I won't even promise that this story will pick up its updates from now on. But if anyone is still willing to stick with us, well, we can't let you guys down, right?

Anyways, i'd like to thank everyone in advance and another apology for any kind of mistakes you found in this chapter.

 

-sskahino