Chapter 15

|Culture Shock|Lee Taemin|

 

Taemin and I looked considerably guilty as the other took their seats at the table. Though, as per usual, Key came to the rescue. Before anybody could ask us anything, he pushed my bowl closer to me.

Go ahead, try it. It’s good,” He insisted, giving me an ‘I-just-saved-your-’ look.

I picked up the metal chopsticks clumsily, giving him a thankful expression.  He watched as I tried to pick up my food, but couldn’t find the end of the noodles. I figured he was up to something, and then my thoughts were confirmed by a scoff erupting from his throat.

Here,” he said and pulled the bowl to him and then picked up a pair of scissors that were sitting on the table. It seemed a little odd that there would be scissors just laying out on the table. Then I realized that there was a pair on every table. I watched him curiously as he used them to cut my food. Suddenly it made so much sense. He smiled and gave my food back to me and I smiled, finally able to eat. Key jumped, reaching for a bottle of something on the edge of the table. He went to pour it into my bowl and quickly pushed his hand away.

What are you doing? What is that?” I asked.

Just trust me,”  He said, his mouth still full of food.

I rolled my eyes and let him pour whatever it was into my lunch. Once the smell hit me I could tell that it was vinegar.  I tried to keep myself busied with my meal, not looking up. Then, sadly, it was gone and I had nothing more to distract me. I cleared, my throat taking a drink from my glass of water. I made the daring decision to glance up. I immediately regretted that as I took notice of the fact that each of the boys was taking turns sneaking a look at me and Taemin.  I turned scarlet. Why does this have to be so awkward? It’s only making things worse. Suddenly, I decided to make things a little less tense by taking the attention off of what they’d seen.

So, uh, what are we doing after lunch?” I asked, picking my head up in an attempt to look more confident and, perhaps, a little less guilty.

We didn’t really think about it,” Minho said.

Well, um, we could just go home,” I said. It was already almost three in the afternoon, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue wandering the streets of Seoul with the awkward tension between us all.

We have been gone for quite a while,” Onew said and we all nodded, agreeing that it was probably time to head back to the dorm.

                                                               _____________________________

We all practically fell into the dorm, exhausted from all of the walking. Jonghyun, Minho, and Onew all occupied one of the couches, sprawled out. It had taken us almost an hour to get back and I felt gross and sweaty from the heat. I went and threw myself onto mine and Key’s bed, feeling the cool sheets. Not a moment later, I heard the soft click of the door shutting and I sat up on my elbows, seeing Key. He had his weight shifted to one side, his arms crossed, as he tapped his foot. I knew what he was there for and I really wasn’t in the mood for an inquisition.

“What’s going on?” He asked.

“Nothing,” I huffed, rolling my eyes at him.

“ ‘Nothing’ doesn’t cut a wonderful day out short,” he snapped.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. It was a mutual decision,” I said defensively.

“Yeah, because we all knew that something was going on ,” he said, coming closer.

“I’m sorry,” I sighed, not willing to carry on the conversation.

He let out a long exhale and then laid down next to me ,”Ryver, you can tell me anything.”

“I know, Key. It’s just something that I would rather not,” I said. It wasn’t worth it. The issue has been resolved.

He nodded, defeated, “It was a good day, anyway.”

I smiled but didn’t respond for a long minute, “I think I’m going to take another shower. I feel sweaty and gross,” I whined.

He laughed a little and then sat up, “Alright, then. “

He stood and left the room. As soon as he closed the door behind him, I picked up my pajamas from the top of my suitcase and left the room, crossing the hall to the bathroom. I the water and looked in the mirror as I undressed. Steam began to fill the room and I stepped into the shower. I could finally let my mind wander.

My thoughts drifted to my moment with Taemin at lunch. It seemed like we’d only made eye contact for a few short seconds, but something was pulling us closer together. I don’t understand it. I shook my head and told myself that I would just have to put more effort into making Taemin feel less stressed about the situation and then washed the soap from my hair and turned off the water. I  dried myself with my towel and got dressed, walking out of the bathroom. I went straight back into the bedroom and pulled my brush and a hair tie out of my bag. Then I sat on the bed and started to braid my hair.

I was lost in my own world when I saw someone leaned against the door frame and my eyes shot up to meet theirs. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Taemin. He gave a slight chuckle and then pushed off the frame, making his way closer to me. He took the brush out of my hand and sat behind me.

Here, let me help you,” He said as he also took the hair tie from between my fingers. I smiled, my face flushing as he pulled out my half-done braid and began to brush my hair gently, being extra careful not to pull too hard. It seemed as though he was taking more time brushing than braiding. I let out a huff of air, and bit my lip as I thought of something my mother once said to me. He stopped and leaned forward, putting his hands on my shoulders.

What is it?” He asked and I could hear his smile.

Nothing, I was just thinking of something my mom told me once,” I said with a happy sigh and he sat back again continuing to brush out my hair.

What did she say?” He asked, sounding genuinely curious.

I looked around the room nervously before opening my mouth to speak. “My mom once told me that, one day, I would find a man who would care so much for me that he would lovingly brush my hair and count to one thousand simply because he felt like it.”

I heard him chuckle quietly and then he spoke softly as he finally began braiding my long dark hair, “Well, I guess I’ll just have to count to one thousand and one, then, huh?”

“What do you mean?” I asked and I can feel his tension level spike.

I’m sure Julian did that for you at some point,” he spoke, his tone grave and dripping with jealousy just as he finished and tied the end.

I shook my head, “No, Taemin. Julian never brushed my hair for me. Now that I think about it, he never did anything like that. I was property to him.”

He moved closer so that his chest was against my back and he wrapped his arms loosely around my waist, placing his hands on top of mine and interlacing our fingers. He rested his head on my shoulder and sighed, “I’m sorry.”

I relaxed, putting all my weight on him, “Don’t be sorry.”

We sat like this for a long moment before I spoke again, “Taemin, I don’t understand it. I don’t get why I can so easily sit with you like this, and speak with you like I’ve known you my entire life, but it needs to slow down.”