oo4

Cooking? Cooking!

Key was distracted. He had been practicing making pasta from raw ingredients, knowing that at some point through the year he was going to have an practical assignment in which he would need to produce pasta from scratch along with an accompanying sauce. His hands worked mercilessly, kneading the dough and removing all traces of air, his mind however was focused on the man that was sat at the workstation next to his. Chef Song Seunghyun. Key shook his head, trying to get back on task, taking the rolling pin and flattening the mixture, before moving to the manual roller that would make his pasta millimetres thin.

"Clean that when you are done, I don't want squid ink mixing with the regular pasta."

The sudden voice startled Key, who would have dropped his dough in fright if he didn't have such good reflexes. "Yes Chef."

"Chef, Mr Kim is here."

Key gave Taemin a brief smile as the waiter poked his head through the kitchen doors, before Taemin disappeared with Chef Song and Key returned his focus to the now flat pasta, carefully slicing it into thin strips before transferring to the waiting pan of salted water to cook. Key turned his attention to the other pan on the hob, stirring the simmering contents and checking the king prawns and squid were perfectly cooked.

Once Key was satisfied, he grabbed a plate and set to work on plating his squid ink linguini with king prawns and squid in tomato sauce. The black pasta contrasted nicely against the white plate and red sauce, and Key finished the dish with a sprig of parsley set in the centre. Key smiled at his work, before grabbing a fork and tasting his dish, making sure that he had pasta, the seafood and sauce on his fork before raising it to his lips. The pasta was perfectly al dente, the seafood juicy and the tomato sauce the perfect acidity, the pinch of sugar counteracting the natural acid of the cooked tomatoes.

"Junior Sous Chef Kim!"

Key was startled once again by Chef Song, his fork clattering onto the plate. "Yes, chef."

"Tomorrow you will be cooking for Mr Kim. Do not mess up."

Key blinked at the older man's words, not sure what had happened when the head chef had disappeared. "Yes Chef."


~###~


"Mr Kim."

Jonghyun turned as his name was called, his head falling into a slight bow out of respect for his elders. "Chef Song."

"I will be cooking for you today." Chef Song spoke. "I will be preparing tomato and rocket bruschetta, mushroom risotto and red fruit soufflé."

Jonghyun considered the menu. Bruschetta was one of the restaurant's most popular starters, the risotto a fairly new addition to the restaurant's menu, and the soufflé had not yet been added to the menu - a dessert Jonghyun requested after tasting the savoury dessert prepared by
neither Chef Song or Senior Sous Chef Jung. "Does Sous Chef Kim still work here?" Jonghyun asked suddenly, remembering the name of the chef that had prepared the soufflé.

Chef Song's hands curled into fists at the mention of the younger chef's name. "Yes sir, Junior Sous Chef Kim is still employed." He felt anger course through his veins - it had taken Jonghyun a year to learn his name, and only one meal for him to remember Kibum's.

"I want Sous Chef Kim to prepare the meal tomorrow." Jonghyun said.

"Sir, with all due respect, Junior Sous Chef Kim is not experienced enough to be cooking for such an honoured guest." Chef Song argued.

"I want Sous Chef Kim to prepare the meal tomorrow." Jonghyun repeated, a warning tone in his voice. "I am ready for my meal."

Chef Song nodded, bowing to his employer before returning to the kitchen.


~###~


Key was unsure how he managed to get through his shift following the news that he would once again be cooking for the son of the owner of the restaurant. He was running on autopilot, barely aware of his surroundings as he moved, his body automatically taking him home. Key was shook from his stupor as his ringtone sounded loudly from his pocket, indicating an incoming call.

"Hello?"

"Hyung! I didn't get chance to speak to you earlier! Are you excited about cooking for Mr Kim?" It was Taemin.

Key sighed, "honestly, I think I'm more nervous than anything. What if I mess up?"

"You did well last time. He really liked your cooking." Taemin commented, remembering Kim Jonghyun's compliments from the last time.

"I was hyped up on adrenalin, I had no time to think about it." Key admitted. "I have time to prepare now, time to worry."

"You'll be great, hyung, after all, you're the 'Almighty Key'!" Taemin exclaimed, causing Key to smile at the ridiculous nickname Minho and Taemin had given him one day when he was feeling particularly low.

"I'm going to go, I'm at my apartment. I have to come up with a balanced menu for Mr Kim." Key said, feeling re-energised at Taemin's enthusiasm.

"Okay, hyung. Call me if you need to vent." Taemin said before ending the call.

Key entered his apartment, shoulder sagging slightly. "How on earth am I going to get a menu together by tomorrow?"


~###~


Key groaned as his alarm clock sounded. He had spent most of the night pouring over his cookery books, over sample menus he had prepared as part of his qualification, and even menus he had taken from other restaurants to try and find the perfect meal to cook for Mr Kim. He shifted, switching off the blaring alarm and rolling out of his bed, stumbling towards the bathroom.

Key looked in the mirror. He had dark circles under his eyes and his skin was tinged grey, a sure sign that he was suffering from lack of sleep. Groaning again, he the shower, leaving it to heat whilst he collected clean underwear, deciding that he was still far to tired to think about what clothes he should wear for the day.

 

~###~


"What are you planning on cooking?"

Key looked up in alarm as he entered the kitchen from the staff locker room, already in his chef's whites. Stood in front of him was Chef Song, hands on his waist and looking far more intimidating than usual. "Head Chef Song." Key greeted, bowing his head respectfully. "For my menu I chose Naples style sardines, four cheese ravioli with tomato sauce, and tiramisu."

Chef Song cast a critical eye over Key. "Do not mess this up. You are responsible the entire kitchen staff when you cook this menu."

Key breathed heavily, letting out a shuddering breath as he nodded, half wishing that the other man would leave.

"Start on your preparation, Mr Kim will be here soon and you do not want to keep him waiting."

"Yes Chef." Key answered automatically, snapping into action.


~###~


"Mr Kim." Chef Song greeted the younger man before leading him into the restaurant. "I hope that you enjoy your meal today. Junior Sous Chef Kim is preparing it as we speak."

Jonghyun nodded, following Chef Song to his favourite table. "Why are you here, if Chef Kim is preparing the meal?"

Chef Song felt himself get angry, his hands curling into fists as he tried to keep calm. "I am here to supervise, to ensure that the meal is perfectly cooked and presented."

"Do you not trust your staff?" Jonghyun countered, watching as the head chef's face flushed with embarrassment. "Waiting Staff member Lee," Jonghyun said, turning to the young waiter, "what is the menu for today?"

"Naples style sardines for starter, a main of four cheese ravioli with tomato sauce, and dessert is tiramisu." Taemin said, remembering what Key had told him earlier.

Jonghyun nodded, the menu appealing to him. He was unsure what the starter was exactly, but the rest of the menu were items that he could see himself choosing at a restaurant. He was shook from his thoughts as he heard the bell sound through the restaurant, signalling that his starter was ready.


~###~


Key sighed, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand before quickly stirring the tomato sauce that would cover the ravioli he would serve as the main. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Taemin flash a grin in his direction as he carried the starter out to the faceless Kim Jonghyun.

Key soon found himself wondering about Kim Jonghyun. The man was the son of the owner of the restaurant, and Key was sure that he couldn't be much older than he was, as Mr Kim Senior was approximately the same age as his father. Key turned back to his pasta, sealing the cheese mixture within the sheets of egg pasta, carefully t the edges before covering them with clear film, waiting for Taemin to bring back the empty starter plate, the pasta to be cooked just before serving.


~###~


Jonghyun devoured the starter, the crispy sardines fried to perfection with a creamy dressing that perfectly complimented the small fish. It was a dish he had never tried before, but he was sure that he would request it again, especially if it was to be cooked by Junior Sous Chef Kim. There was something about the young chef's dishes, a spark that was missing from any other meal he ate, something that Chef Song and Chef Jung, with all their training and experience were unable to master.

"Are you ready for the main, sir?"

Jonghyun looked up from his empty plate to see waiting staff member Lee to the right of him, looking expectant. Jonghyun quickly cleared his throat. "Yes."


~###~


Jonghyun sighed in satisfaction as he finished his dessert, slouching in his chair as he drained his glass of water.

"Was everything to your standards?" Chef Song asked, eyes trained on the younger male for any sign that he was unhappy.

"Everything was perfect." Jonghyun said, offering the head chef a bright smile. "I would like Chef Kim to cook for me for the foreseeable future."

"With all due respect, sir, Junior Sous Chef Kim is still not at the required standard to be cooking for you." Chef Song said quickly, cursing the younger chef in his mind.

"Judging by the standard of the food I was presented with, I would say that Sous Chef Kim is more than qualified to cook for me." Jonghyun said, eyes narrowing as he challenged the head chef. "Pass on my compliments to the chef." Jonghyun carefully wiped his mouth with the fabric napkin before standing, leaving the napkin on the empty dessert plate.


~###~


Key jumped as the galley doors to the kitchen swung open, revealing Head Chef Song.

"Prepare for service, Junior Sous Chef Kim." The head chef spat, not even looking at Key as he spoke.

"Yes, Chef."

"Whilst you're at it, be thinking of menus to serve to Kim Jonghyun, you're taking over as his chef."

Key blinked as he comprehended the words. "Chef?"

"You heard me, Kim. Do not let me down, or I will fire you, regardless of what Mr Kim and his son think of you."