Final Chapter

Helix

 

It took them the best of three hours to write a thorough report and with Minki’s guidance, Jonghyun actually managed to understand the subject.

“I don’t think you can do anymore now hyung. It’s as good as it gets I’d say”. Minki smiled when he had read the final result. “Was it that difficult after all?”
“Not really. I guess the teacher is just not as good at explaining things as you are Minkiah”. He looked happily at the screen, showing his finished assignment, not noticing how Minki’s cheeks turned pink again.

“Hyung, don’t say that. You were simply not paying attention in class”.

“Well, whatever the reason, I’m glad you helped me out on this. I don’t think he would’ve let me pass this semester if I had failed to hand in another report”.

He leaned back in the sofa, looking smilingly at Minki, who was sitting a bit more stiffly than usual.

“So, do you want anything?”
“Excuse me?”

“You know, I’ve got some rice and a bit of curry. I thought of cooking you dinner as a thank you for just now”.

“Oh…” Minki looked surprised at him. “You don’t have to, I don’t want to be of any trouble…”
“You’re not, I promise! But since none of our parents are at home, why don’t we just eat together?”

At first Minki looked as if he was going to reject, but then he smiled in surrender.

“Of course hyung, that sounds wonderful”.

They cooked the simple dishes together, laughing and talking as always, even though Jonghyun had seen someone move around in the dark outside the house several times, but he wasn’t able to see whether it was Aron or someone else. They sat down facing each other at the small table in the kitchen and started to eat.

“It’s delicious!” Minki looked astonished at his plate with rice and curry.

“Don’t sound so surprised… Did you think I couldn’t cook?” The brunette smiled when Minki bit his lip.

“That’s not what I meant hyung, I…”
“Hey, I’m just joking. I’m actually quite surprised, too. I never thought it would turn out this well”.

He laughed and Minki couldn’t hide how much he loved that sound. He had never really thought about it before, but he always felt comfortable when he was with Jonghyun and right now he enjoyed it more than ever. The fear of letting it show made him unwillingly tense and he knew he couldn’t stay without ending up letting it slip in some way. He had to leave before he couldn’t control himself anymore.

As soon as they had washed the empty plates he turned to the little hall.

“Thank you for the food and everything hyung. I’m really grateful”. He smiled weakly, amazed by how beautiful Jonghyun suddenly looked to him.

The other boy was looking out the window behind him when he said it though, his eyes a lot wider than usual.

“Hyung? Are you listening?”

“Sorry, of course, yes…” He forced his eyes back on Minki’s head, trying not to make it too obvious that he had just witnessed one of their classmates slaughter someone in his front garden with a flick knife the size of a rat.

“What are you looking at?” Minki frowned slightly, then he turned his head, too, but both Aron and the dead body was out of sight.

“Nothing, sorry. I guess I spaced out a bit”. Somehow he managed to force out a short laughter.

“In any case… It’s already dark outside, I really have to go home and clean my room. Thank you for everything you did for me today. I’ll see you on Monday”.

He had already reached out for his coat, but Jonghyun grabbed his hand.

“No!” Minki stared at him, completely perplexed. “I mean… you can do it tomorrow, right? I’ll ask my parents to drive you home in time. You don’t have to leave now, we could watch a film or something if you like…”

His voice faded when he realised how desperate he sounded.

The blonde tilted his head, looking sceptically at Jonghyun.

“Hyung, is… is something wrong? You sound as if you don’t want me to leave…”

“No, no, nothing’s wrong, it’s just…”

Jonghyun had no idea of what to say when he looked at Minki and as the seconds went by, his chances of saving the situation grew smaller. Aron didn’t look as if he  was anywhere near calling him, telling that it was safe to go out. At that moment he was still in the front garden, fighting at least two persons in dark clothes.

Finally he drew a sigh of despair, swallowing his own panic and looked determined at Minki. He had to take this gamble.

“Minkiah, I… I really like you”.

The younger boy’s eyes widened in a split second.

“H-Hyung… what… what do you mean?” he managed to breathe through his split lips.

“I like you, as in “I am in love with you”. And I’ve been for a long time now…” He took a deep breath, struggling to keep talking for as long as possible. “I can’t hide it anymore Minki, I can’t keep on not saying anything, even though you probably doesn’t feel the same way about me, but it’s just unbearable that you don’t know how I feel… I’m sorry if this is too sudden or too bold, but I have to try…”
Before Minki had the chance to interrupt, he grabbed Minki’s chin and seized his lips in a tender kiss.

When he let go of the younger boy again, Aron had managed to slay one of the two assassins he had been fighting before, but as far as Jonghyun could guess, he still had three to go.

Minki looked at Jonghyun as if in a daze, then he bit his lips, trembling. His heart was beating so fast he had trouble breathing regularly, but he didn’t turn away.

“I’m sorry, I… I didn’t mean to steal a kiss like that, I…”
“Hyung? Shut up”.

In one step he stood chest to chest with Jonghyun, leaning forward to meet his lips again. He put both arms around the other boy and pushed him against the nearest wall, holding him in a tight embrace as he inquiringly his lips to make him open his mouth.

As carefully as he could Minki pulled the shirt off Jonghyun and delicately caressed his back, continuing to kiss him passionately. He made sure Jonghyun couldn’t move at all as he let his hands slip gently over his stomach and back; his teasing touches made the brunette shiver from ecstasy. Finally he let go of the deep kiss, staring accomplished into the other one’s eyes.

“I love you hyung”.

“Really?” Jonghyun softly leaned his forehead on Minki’s.

“Really. Please snog me again”.

 

He slipped his fingers through his hair, unsure of what to do. Never had he felt like this, as if his heart was about to crack open from pain. All night had he been fighting those ing Solum warriors, and finally, at midnight, he had cut the last one down. His hand had been soaked in blood, he had a deep wound right across his face, he would probably never be able to use his left ring- and little finger again and on top of that he had had to go find the look-alike and slay him, too, a person whom he had trusted for half a year.

The “thank you” from the person who was the source of this bloodshed?

Not quite what he would call a greeting.

He had glanced into Jonghyun’s house to see if they were still awake so that he could call and tell that everything was all right. That one glance had been more than enough.

Right now he was on his way to the airport to get back to The States as fast as possible, so that he might be able to forget the sight of Minki and Jonghyun in each other’s arms, lips sealed.

With hands shaking in anger and hurtfulness, he took out his phone and called the leader.

“Aron-sshi! is everything all right?”

“Yes. Everything is just fine”.

“Is Solum taken care of?”
“All six of them are down sir. And the spy is gone, too”.

“So you did what you were sent out to do?”
“Yes sir, the mission is complete”.