Realization

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 

Soomin's cries were my alarm to waking up in the morning. They always were. But the only problem is that there’s no snooze button. I once tried pressing her head, but no miracles happened.

I groaned and pulled of the covers and was about to sit up when for once, for the first time, Soomin stopped crying. I opened one eye and saw jaeyeon by the cot, carrying her in her arms.

"What are you doing up so early?" I asked, sitting up.

"I was here all along. Didn’t you know? I was just sleeping right next to you for the whole night!" she exclaimed.

"Oh. Right."

I looked at her, taking in the situation and what she just said. My mind don’t usually tend to work in the morning.

"You should stop sleeping in my bed. We're grownups now."

"You’re the one who's grown up. I'm not yet 18."

"What time is it?"

"10 am."

"Oh....what?!"

I shouted and jumped out of bed, startling both jaeyeon and Soomin.

"Oh ."

"Hey! No cursing in front of the baby."

I ran to the bathroom to clean up and then ran back to the room to change. I was just about to take out my shirt when I found out jaeyeon was still in there. I looked at her and i continued looking until, fortunately, she knew what I wanted.

"Fine. I'll go out."

She went out of the room and closed the door. Just when I was lifting my shirt, the door flung opened.

"What do you want?!" I fumbled putting back my shirt.

"Why are you in such a hurry?"

"I need to meet someone."

"Your friend?"

"Yeah."

"Girl or boy?"

"Girl."

"Can I come?"

"Why?"

"I wanna meet your future wife."

"Get out!"

Agitated, I flung my pillow at her but she closed the door in time, instead hitting the door and falling to the floor with a thump.

Just when I was changing, the door flew open again.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?!"

She giggled, “nothing actually."

And with that, she closed the door. I took a deep, deep breath to calm myself down. And now, i changed without interruption. Looking at the clock, it says 10.30. I was supposed to meet chaeyeon at the mall at 11. Rushing out of the room, I took a piece of bread and ran around the house. Taking and placing everything Soomin needs into a bag and also fixing up her pram.

"Wow...you seem like a pro." jaeyeon said.

Ignoring her, I went to prepare a bottle of orange juice for Soomin and taking Soomin from jaeyeon, I placed her in the pram and handed her the juice.

"I helped her change." jaeyeon piped up.

"Yeah, sure."

"At least say thanks."

"Thanks."

"And allow me to go with you."

I didn’t answer her and went towards the door.

"Please! I promise I won’t disturb your date. I just don’t want to stay at home alone!"

Just then, an idea popped up in my mind.

"Okay, go change. I'll give you 3 minutes."

Before long, we were out of the house and walking to the mall.

"Since I let you come, help me do a favor." I asked jaeyeon.

"What?"

"Pretend to be my girlfriend."

"Okay." she answered straight away.

"Don’t you wanna know why?"

"I already know why. You want me to pretend to be your girlfriend so the girl you're meeting can see. Its either you want to take revenge for something she did, or you want to make her jealous. Which one is it?"

"The second one."

"You like her?"

I stopped to think about that question. Is thinking of her every single minute liking her? Is my heart beating fast when I see her liking her?

"I’m not sure myself."

"Well, if you want to make her jealous, then something’s going on."

"She was once my girlfriend. But we broke up."

"And you like her back again?"

"I don’t know."

This time, she didn’t answer me.

Not long later, we arrived at the mall.

"Okay, so you know what you need to do right?" I asked her once again.

"Yeah yeah." she said and rolled her eyes. "Sheesh...sometimes, you're such a worry wart."

It was crowded inside the mall. But it’s a Sunday so no big deal. Walking towards the coffee shop was a hustle, especially with a pram in front of me. And then, finally reaching there, we saw chaeyeon sitting at the corner, sipping a cup of coffee.

"Is that her?" jaeyeon asked, pointing at her.

"Yup."

"She’s pretty. Well, that’s 40 points. I'm sorry to say but looks depend a lot."

"What are you now? A love guru?"

"Only for you, my dear cousin."

Chaeyeon spotted us and waved us over, and by the look on her face, she was clearly puzzled as to who was that girl beside me.

"Hi Junhyung." she greeted and moved to jaeyeon. "is she your sister? She looks like you."

before I could reply, jaeyeon stick out her hand.

"I’m not her sister. I'm jaeyeon, his girlfriend." jaeyeon said confidently, shaking Chaeyeon's hand.

"Girlfriend?" chaeyeon asked, shocked. There was hurt in her eyes. I bite my cheeks to keep from smirking. Why am I so happy she's jealous.

"Yeah. Sorry if I had to bring her along. She just wanted to tag."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw jaeyeon glaring at me.

"I see. It’s okay. We can leave now." chaeyeon said and stood up, taking Soomin's pram and pushing her.

Throughout, we just went to different baby stores and tried on different things on Soomin. Surprisingly, through her jealousness, she still got on good terms on jaeyeon. Although jaeyeon was more of the one talking, trying to get to know her.

"We should take a break now." I said when we stepped out of at least the 15th store we went to. It’s not just me, from the looks of Soomin; anyone can tell that poor girl is tired of trying clothes.

The two women nodded their head and walked behind me while I pushed Soomin to a nearby food court. Trying to find a spot, I spotted Yoseob and Doojoon together at a corner.

"Yah! What are you guys doing here?" I asked when I reached them.

"Oh! Junhyun-soominnnnie!" Yoseob squealed. He kneeled down onto the floor and started playing with her.

"We just wanted to go buy some electronic stuff." Doojoon answered.

"Junhyung, I’ll just go and bring her to look round okay?" Yoseob asked.

"What is there to look in the food court?"

"Lots of things. In her perspective." he said and went off. At that time, the two women walked over to us.

"Oh, Doojoon ah." Chaeyeon greeted.

"Chaeyeon? You're with him too? And who’s that?" Doojoon asked, pointing to jaeyeon.

"I’m jaeyeon."

"Jaeyeon? That names sound familiar." Doojoon said to himself, eyebrow scrunching up.

"She’s my girlfriend." I quickly added.

"You have a girlfriend? YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?! How could you?! You're a dad now!" he half shouted.

"What? I still have a life." I shrugged.

"I’m gonna go get a drink." jaeyeon said and I gave her a nod. Chaeyeon stood awkwardly at the table.

"Don’t you want to sit down?" Doojoon asked her.

"Actually, I want to go get some popcorn." she admitted.

"Oh! You mean the popcorn from the famous popcorn shop?"

"Uh huh!" chaeyeon nodded enthusiastically.

"I’ll come with you!"

Childish people.

"Junhyung, tell Yoseob I’ll be right back okay?" Doojoon requested.

"Wait. What about Soomin's clothes?" I asked, mostly to chaeyeon.

"We’ve bought almost everything. And you can go with jaeyeon now since she's here." chaeyeon said.

"Ppali!" Doojoon said, taking her hand and running off with her in the direction of the popcorn.

I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous. I am not jealous.

"You’re jealous." jaeyeon suddenly jumped out from nowhere causing me to jump.

"Where did you come up from?"

"I was behind you all this time. And yes you're jealous. By the way your fist is clenching so tightly and how your breathing seems to be unusually quick, you're jealous." she agreed to herself.

"Chh...No I’m not. Why would I be jealous that chaeyeon just abandoned me to go and buy popcorn with Doojoon?"

Jaeyeon raised one eyebrow at me.

"You like her Junhyung. Just admit it. And I like her too. She's a nice girl. Perfect girlfriend slash wife slash mum material."

I looked away from her and stared at the pram with all the plastic bags that was filled with clothes we just bought.

"And you better get her before someone else does."

I didn’t really know what she meant by that last sentence but I don’t really bother. I like Chaeyeon, it’s confirmed by the love guru herself. And also confirmed by the voice in my mind.