Six.

The Pretty Barista

 

Taemin came over with a tray in his hands. On the tray were 3 glasses of milk tea and 2 cupcakes. I help him set the glasses down on the table, and he pushes the tray aside putting the plate of cupcakes between us on the table. He settles in Sehun's usual spot.

"Here." He pushes a glass towards me. "It's a coffee milk tea." He says.

"Huh?" I raise an eyebrow confused.

"Remember?" He started, "The first time you were here you wanted a coffee milk tea, but it wasn't available at the time." Taemin reminds me. "So, now that we have it, go have a taste!" He encourages brightly.

I stare at the glass. I did want a coffee milk tea. In fact, coffee milk tea used to be the only flavor I ordered.

"If you don't like it," Taemin takes another cup and places it closer to my side of the table. "There. Your malt milk tea."

I blinked, looking at the two glasses.

"These cupcakes are an experiment. We were supposed to give out free tastes today, but seeing as there were barely any customers…" He trails off staring at the plate. "Have one. They're red velvet."

I chuckle. "Thanks." I take a sip from the coffee milk tea. It was good. But I had been craving for the malt flavor for the past 3 days.

"How is it?" Taemin asks.

"Good." I say, "But I like the malt better." I grin.

"I told you it was good." He says taking the other glass and taking a sip from it.

"So, I don't have two orders of the malt milk tea?"

Taemin scoffs, "I can easily go back there and make you another one. Sheesh."

I laugh.

"Milk tea addict." He mumbles. But I caught it. I continued sipping the coffee milk tea until it was almost gone. I didn't realize I was that thirsty. Then I got one of the cupcakes and took a bite from it.

"So…" Taemin starts. "You said you danced?"

I nod and finish chewing the cupcake. "Mhmm. I go to the academy just across the street."

His eyes widen, "No way!"

"Yeah, Sehun and I have been going there since the start of the year…"

"I have a friend who works as an instructor there." He tells me.

"Really? Cool. Who?"

"Her name is Victoria Song."

"Oh, I'm not familiar." I confess. "This is good, by the way." I hold the half-eaten cupcake up with an amused grin.

Taemin chuckles. "Good to know." He acknowledges my compliment. "So, what kind of dance do you do?"

"Sehun and I are in a hip-hop class." I tell him, putting the now empty glass and used cupcake wrapper aside. "But it kinda mixes. We have popping and locking and lyrical sometimes."

"Really cool." He grins.

I nod, "Mhmm. I used to do ballet though." I say chuckling.

"Oh?" I couldn't read his expression. "Why'd you stop?"

"Ah well, when I got into high school, I couldn't do as much extra curricular activities like I wanted, so I decided to just go into hip hop, where both Sehun and I could excel."

"Sehun…" Taemin starts. "…is your best friend?" He asks.

I smile and nod. "Yep. We're neighbors and we've been friends as far back as I can remember. I'm only 3 months older than him."

"How old are you by the way?"

"I'm 18. I was born in 1994." I tell Taemin.

"Oh! Really?!" He grins.

I nod, "Yeah. How about you."

"I'm 18, too! I'm turning 19 though."

"So… are you in college?" I ask him.

He nods with a bright smile on his face, "Mhmm. I'm in my first year."

I was curious. I was a senior this year, so in a couple of months I would be graduating. Honestly, I haven't really been thinking that far ahead yet. "How is it? Is it hard?"

Taemin shakes his head. "It's not that much different than in high school." He says calmly, "I mean sure some professors are more difficult or some subjects require more effort, but it's not huge of a transition. Especially since first year usually has general subjects."

"Are you enjoying it?"

"Mhm. I do miss some of my old classmates, but I still get to see them from time to time." He tells me.

"I haven't decided what I wanna take up for college, yet." I confess.

"It's okay to not know." Taemin reassures, "It's okay to experiment, to try new things out. You don't have to have a life plan prepared. It doesn't work that way."

Taemin had very interesting notions.

We conversed over a variety of topics. I enjoyed listening to Taemin talk. I liked hearing what his opinions about things were. I liked the stories he told me, I like how he openly shared with me his knowledge and insights about things. And that night, we just got to know each other a little better. He made me laugh a lot of times, and he was even more sarcastic than I thought him out to be. He enjoyed making fun of me, too. Then, I had my moments where I was able to make him laugh. I had hoped he didn't find me too boring because for the most part, I just let him speak as much as he wanted. And when it was his turn to ask questions, I didn't go into detail with my answers.

Maybe I was still shy… I was still getting used to this friendship we were developing. But I was glad Sehun didn't go to dance class that day. I was glad there were only a few people in the cafe. If not, I wouldn't have gotten to know Taemin a little better.

 

By the time I had to leave, we had already exchanged phone numbers.

"Text me when you're bored or something." Taemin said.

"Ditto." I grin, "Or tell me if you're around my neighborhood."

"Will do…" He smiles. "We should hang out properly some time." He suggests.

"Properly?"

"Yeah, like not in the place I work." He laughs.

"Oh. Yeah, sure. I'd like that." I couldn't help the wide smile spreading across my face.

"Maybe walk around Myeongdong… have some street food...?" He teases.

I laugh. Not this again. Not even a week ago, I was just having this conversation with my friends. But I didn't mind. Street food will now have a special meaning for me.

"I'm game for that. We should make plans." I say.

"We should. I'll be seeing you around soon, anyway." Taemin smirks, "And if not, well, I have your number now." He holds up his phone.

I chuckle. "I'll definitely be coming over after dance class, as always."

"And I'll have your malt milk tea waiting for you!" He jokes.

"You better." I humor him. "I should get going…" I tell him.

Taemin nods, the smile never leaving his face. "Sure. I'll see you soon. Hopefully your friend gets better quick." He says.

"I'll tell him of your well wishes."

He laughs, "You go do that…"

I nod, standing up as I sling my backpack over my shoulder.

"And hang out soon?" Taemin confirms as he stood up.

"Definitely."

"Great! Looking forward to it."

And then we bid each other farewell, with Taemin walking back to the counter and me exiting Dream Tea cafe. Today was definitely not a bad day. In fact, it was the exact opposite. I couldn't wait to hang out with Taemin again. Already, I wanted to introduce him to the rest of my friends and have him hang out with us in a more comfortable way. Not like last Saturday when we stood across each other awkwardly in the food stall.

 

I sat alone on the bus, but this time with a smile plastered on my face. I wonder when we could hang out again. Then a thought crossed my mind...

Maybe I should invite Taemin to that street food outing with my friends.


 

And there you go! The most TaeKai this story has yet to have! What did you all think of their interaction?
I know I could've prolonged their conversations, but it has to work this way for the flow of the story. Don't worry, more TaeKai moments soon! :D

Also! I actually have a TaeKai oneshot planned--probably (hopefully) going to write it in time for Taemin's birthday. And after this story, I have another TaeKai fanfic idea that's the complete opposite of this one. I am so excited to start writing it. At the same time, I fear I might get writers block for it. HUHU. OTL

As always, please leave a comment, subscribe if you feel like it and thank you for reading this story! ♥