Feelings begin to Stir

Sweet Temptations

Five Years Later…

 

 

“I’m so proud of our baby girl,” Yoona’s mother told her father as they sat at the kitchen table drinking a glass of ice-cold water and eating freshly baked garlic rolls rolled in butter. The smell filled the house with a warm, rich aroma.

 

“What has she done this time?” her father teased, eyes sparkling behind his glasses. He peered over his evening newspaper to watch his little daughter playing attentively by herself in the corner.

 

“She’s learning to speak so well now. She’s to the stage where she’s asking everyone she doesn’t know, what their names are; she’s so curious. She loves talking with other children. Do you remember how at first she wouldn’t talk at all? I was so worried, and I began to wonder if she’d ever learn, but now, she is a regular chatterbox.”

 

“Well, be happy with it while you can,” advised the father suddenly weary at the mention of the word chatterbox, “Because when she becomes a teenager, we’ll have a lot on our plates. She’s already a handful, has me wrapped around her little finger already.” They laughed softly together, appreciating the moment they shared.

 

Joon stood a few feet from Yoona, bored as rock, decided he wanted to go outside to patrol the grounds. If Jang Geun Suk was going to tempt Yoona, her parents would be right there to correct her. They wouldn’t let her out of their sight where she could easily get into trouble. Nodding at his sound deductions, Joon slipped out the back door. Being an angel, of course, Yoona’s parents failed to notice.

 

Yoona was playing house with her dolls. She was the mother, and the dolls were her children. Bright-eyed, she tucked them each into bed, told them a story, and kissed them goodnight. When she was sure that her little babies were sleeping soundly she brushed hands together and pushed herself to her feet. She noticed that one of the boys was watching her quietly from the rug in front of the fireplace. He was lounging with his arm draped over his knee and the other hand propping himself upright. Yoona in that short moment, realized that the little fairy boys that were invisible to everyone but her, were people that she had taken for granted as always being there. As her parents had just discussed, she was a curious chatterbox, and so she made up her mind to talk to him for the first time. Carefully, she made her way over to him.

 

Plopping herself onto her stomach and resting her chin in her hands, she looked up at him with big, starry eyes that spoke of her excitement and asked innocently, “What’s your name?” The boy looked surprised. Even though it had been five years, she had never actually talked to him or Joon. He wondered what brought on this sudden…acknowledgement.

 

“I’m Jang Geun Suk,” he smiled down at her tentatively, “and you’re Yoona.”

 

“Yes I am!” she smiled proudly, “Jang Goong Suk,” his name fell strangely from her lips.

 

“No, it’s Jang Geun Suk,” he smiled gently at her adorable attempt to say his name.

 

Screwing up her face, the little girl tried again, “Jang, Goon Suk,” she enunciated carefully. Her companion chuckled softly, “Close enough,” he ruffled her hair. Yoona stood up and hugged his head which reached her torso since he was still sitting down, “Jang Goon Suk is my new friend!” she smiled and then ran up to her parents. Behind her, Jang Geun Suk’s mouth dropped open slightly in surprise. He sat frozen, feeling her soft arms hugging him. In all his years, he’d never been hugged much less shown any kind of affection. His chiseled features softened as he gazed at the little figure that had so readily shown kindness…

 

In that instant, he wondered if he could really do it. Could he destroy such a precious soul? He didn’t know if he could bear it. What if he just teamed up with the G.A? He could protect her too. He’d make sure she didn’t fall into danger; he’d be the one who watched from the shadows while conveniently forgetting what he was really supposed to be doing. If anyone came to check up on him—he shuddered at the thought and forced it from his mind preferring to dwell on happier thoughts.

 

“Mamma! Mamma!” Yoona was busy tugging at her mom’s leg and looking up into her eyes.

 

“What is it Yoona?”

 

“I made a new friend.”

 

“Oh really?” smiled her father, “What’s your new friend’s name?” he glanced over at the dolls she had tucked into bed.

 

“His name is Jang Goon Suk,” Yoona stated confidently, “He’s over there,” she pointed openly in his direction. Jang Geun Suk automatically stiffened, but he needn’t have worried. Their gazes swept over him without seeing him. He wondered why he even suspected that they might see him. Aside from Yoona, no one could. Yoona was just…special. Yoona grinned over at him happily and he felt his lips lifting in response.

 

Just then, Joon tramped in looking dejectedly bored, “There was nothing out there,” he complained, “I’m not five years old anymore. I’m ten. I am a perfectly capable, strong, brave, smart, young angel and yet there’s no sign of danger anywhere.” he griped. He spotted Jang Geun Suk sitting in front of the fire looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Well, no danger besides you,” Joon amended, “and I really don’t think you’ll be a problem. When are you even going to start tempting her? And don’t give me that look. I was just asking.” Joon seemed miffed at the are-you-serious expression the Devil was giving him.

 

When he didn’t receive an answer, he sighed and said, “Fine. I’m going to bed. Yoona’s being put to bed by her mom right now, so why don’t we head up too? I’m tired.”

 

Without a word, Jang Geun Suk slid easily to his feet and followed the pompous angel up the stairs. As they neared the door, they both heard distraught sounds coming from Yoona’s room, “But I want Jang Goon Suk to tuck me in! No! Jang Goon Suk will read me a story…Please mommy,” she sounded quite upset.

 

Joon’s eyes narrowed as he turned to Jang Geun Suk in suspicion, “Just what did you do?”

 

Jang Geun Suk chose to ignore Joon’s death glare, and instead pushed past him into Yoona’s room. As soon as she spotted him, her countenance lit up, “He’s right there mama. He’ll tuck me in. Won’t you Jang Goon Suk?” A soft smile made its way onto the Devil’s face as he nodded in compliance to her begging.

 

“See? He says he will. So you can go tuck Daddy in bed and read him a story.” Yoona told her mother who looked quite astounded. Not knowing what else to do but comply with her daughter’s strange wishes regarding her imaginary friend, she stood up and set the book down on the covers. Bending over she gave her precious daughter a good-night kiss, and retreated from the room with a soft, “Goodnight, my little Princess.”

 

Jang Geun Suk gently drew the covers up to Yoona’s chin and sat down gingerly at the edge of the bed. Her bright, inquisitive eyes followed him as he retrieved the storybook, and began to read. His voice was light, and hypnotic. Even though it was a children’s story that Yoona had her mom read to her a million times, his enticing voice made it seem like she was hearing it for the first time.

 

Joon watched Yoona’s reaction to the Devil with displeasure. The Devil was using his tempting voice. He’d never heard such soft, satin tones that so enraptured Yoona coming from the Devil’s mouth before. He suddenly realized, that he had been negligent in his dismissal of the Devil as harmless. This Devil was simply trying to get Yoona accustomed to him. He was familiarizing himself with her so that when he did start tempting her, she would not realize it, and she would trust him because of moments like this: when he read her a storybook. She would fall heedlessly into his traps!

 

Joon gritted his teeth. Oh, this Devil was clever. How could he have been fooled by such a dark creature? As Jang Geun Suk finished the story and turned off the lights, he glanced over at Joon who he realized was watching him intently. Actually he’d been aware of his ‘enemy’ staring at him for a while now. Calmly, he gazed back. Joon didn’t flinch or lower his gaze. Finally shrugging it off, the Devil curled up on his normal spot in the window seat that had a downy, rosy cushion large enough for him to lie on if he curled his legs slightly. Joon remained awake until he heard the steady breathing of Yoona and Jang Geun Suk signaling their entrance into Beddy-Bye Land.

 

With silent ease, he pushed himself to his feet, and made his way over to Yoona’s bed. There, he looked down on her sleeping form worried that perhaps he was falling behind in his duties. He couldn’t fail his father or God. Everyone was depending on him; it was all on his shoulders. Plus, he would never mention it, never even think about admitting it, but he was starting to grow an attachment to Yoona. Five years with her, had changed him. He’d maintained his rivalry with the Devil, and had thought of protecting Yoona as simply a mission. But as time had gone by, he’d realized that she made him smile with the little things she said and the happiness she always seemed to spread wherever she went.

 

Realizing that Yoona was calling the Devil by name and having him tuck her in at night, did not sit well with him. He was only ten, too young to notice the tiniest sparks of jealousy that were awakening in his heart. He didn’t want that Devil anywhere near Yoona. Silently drawing back her covers, he slid himself underneath them, settling himself next to her. He made himself a barrier between her and the rest of the room…or rather whatever else was in the room.

 

Laying his head on the pillow next to hers, he smiled softly at her peaceful, sleeping expression. His heart pounded slightly from such close proximity. He’d never dared be this close to her before now. He’d always been alright with staying back, trying to remain unobtrusive, but when the Devil had sat next to her, and been so…close to her, he had decided to try too. It wasn’t just protection that had put him in the bed with her although he was still too young to know just what it was; it was really the beginning of something greater.

 

With a smile of content on his face, Joon drifted to sleep.