A Guardian is Selected

Sweet Temptations

 

 

“Gabriel, I have good news,” Michael the burly arch-angel grinned broadly at his slender, though muscular friend who he had just spotted heading towards him. He had been standing on a cotton-ball cloud observing the world through his golden binoculars and what he had just seen, pleased him.

 

“And what news is that? Oh, did you get a day off to treat me to honey-bread and fruit? I could use a rest. Lucifer has been attacking Earth relentlessly recently, and we’ve had angels on double-shift lately. Aiiiiish I’m so tired,” Gabriel tramped through the golden field full of sunbeam flowers, lilacs and roses. The deep blue of the sky stretched endlessly above and below them. Heaven’s city gates polished and shining a few feet away were open and welcoming. Gabriel had left the watch-tower and the safety of the walls of Heaven to seek out his friend. But Michael had seen him first. Which wasn’t surprising. Michael possessed a knack for seeing things.

 

“Sorry Gabe,” but I’m not treating you to a meal,” Michael apologized. Gabriel’s shoulders fell slightly and it was quite funny how the burly arch-angel, apologized to his smaller, obviously disappointed companion.

 

“Well what is the good news then?” Gabriel asked always curious and never one to be disappointed for long. His eyes appraised the mighty arch-angel who smiled like a little boy on Christmas day and clutched the golden binoculars in his hands not realizing he was doing it.

 

“Another princess has been born,” he said with self-satisfaction, “We must send one of the boys. You’re closest with them, so please pick the one you think will fit her best.”

 

“Another gi--princess? But there are so many of them now days, and more than half of them end up not following the path. They get lost and don’t ever come back. I don’t know if we can keep raising our hopes just because another girl—I mean princess-- is born,” Gabriel sighed and rubbed his forehead tiredly with his right hand. His left hand was clenched at his side in emphasis.

 

“Oh come on, Gabe, don’t be a pessimist,” Michael scolded, “All girls are princesses and every girl has a chance to follow Heaven’s rule. It’s just that our G.A’s can’t seem to keep them on the right path. That’s why for this little gem, I want you to find one that will stay with her no matter what and protect her. Too many princesses have been lost and we can’t afford to lose another precious soul.

 

Saying this, he plucked a sunbeam flower from the surrounding field, and hurled it down from heaven so that it cast a heavenly stream of light through the clouds to herald the princess’s new arrival to the world. It left a trail of sparkling, golden light that enfolded the sleepy, gurgling infant in a comforting glow. The light would stay there all through the next day.

 

“She’s a strong one,” Michael whispered softly, “She’ll need all the protection we can give, and I’m sure Lucifer has his eye on her too. Just look at her, she’ll have a great destiny, can’t you feel it?”

 

“I believe you,” sighed Gabriel grinning fondly at his friend, “Alright, I’ll go find someone. Wait. Give me your binoculars first,” he stretched out his hand until Michael placed them gently in his grasp. Following the golden sun-beam flower’s trail, Gabe finally made out the sleeping bundle. His breath caught. She was a strong one and he felt a soft smile tug at the corners of his lips.

 

“You know what?” I think I have just the guardian for the job,” he laughed. Quickly, he handed Michael back the binoculars, and then strode purposefully into the gates of Heaven towards the silver and pearl building on the outskirts of the city. Heaven was a jaw-droppingly huge place full of beauty and color. The fact that the G.A. Acadamy looked like a medieval castle didn’t faze any of the other angels or saints who walked the paved roads. It was tall and surrounded by trees with pavilions and fountains scattered on the outside and some even on the inside of the keep.

 

In no time, Gabriel was gliding along the cool, symmetrical tiles and basking in the cooling breeze from the overhanging trees that swept around the G.A. building. One of the female Masters nodded to him as he passed before bending studiously over the reports of the trainees. He made his way down to the courtyard out back. Clashing metal sounded up from the courtyard. He skirted down the steps and watched approvingly at the sight that met his eyes. About fifty young boys ranging from four to fifteen were grappling with swords, running drills and polishing techniques.

 

Angels were strange creatures. They aged veeeeeery slowly since Heaven’s time was different from earth’s time; meaning they stopped aging around their teenage years (about nineteen or even twenty-one). So even though some of them were very ‘young’, they could all fight decently with swords, bare-fists, bows-and arrows and other deadly weapons. But even if they were adept with fighting, scoping for enemies, masters at concealment and stunningly intelligent and beautiful, these children still acted like…well, children. Angels acted the age they looked usually. The four year olds got sulky if they didn’t always get their way, but the teenagers were more cold, more calculating and mature. They didn’t get into normal teen ‘drama’, they were into much more dangerous drama. They fought devils and other evil spirits. Normally this was all alright, but since angels aged sooooooo slowly, sometimes you had to spend forever waiting for them to mature.

 

When the G.A. trainees saw him they immediately raised their swords in salute, those who had fallen to the ground hurriedly got to their feet dusting the dirt from their pants, and as one they all bowed. “Welcome master,” they greeted formally. Even the youngest in the group (aged three and a half) knew how to show respect to angels of superior rank and Gabriel was captain of the volley of sentries and other angels that were even now fighting among the front lines trying to push back Lucifer’s fallen angels.

 

“Rise,” Gabriel nodded and watched as they immediately straightened to attention all eyes riveted on his form. Gabriel decided that now was as good a time as any as a pep talk, so he decided to wing it.

 

 “Guardian Academy has been constructed ever since the beginning of time, to train young angels into soldiers, warriors to protect Earth. You have all been trained to protect a princess. Somewhere, someday, a little girl will be born endowed with the potential to be a princess. You will each be assigned to a princess and silently guard and direct her from Lucifer and his cunning devils. It will be in the heart of the battle, and we will need warriors who are strong and reliable.” He paused, “I think we have done a good job training you all. You all show potential and promise,” At this, some of the younger angels turned red at the unexpected praise, but the older boys remained solemn taking the praise as acknowledgement that they were doing what they were supposed to.

 

“While there are many other angels who are trained to be spies and infiltrators, or warriors on the front line, here at Guardian Acadamy, the true Guardian Angels will be those who help God’s beloved princesses to keep his rule and gain Heaven’s admission. This job is difficult and the number of princesses who make the cut are rapidly diminishing. Lucifer is striking harder than ever and his targets have more recently become these princesses that you must protect. As Guardian Angels, we must stay vigilant and alert.” He saw some of the teenagers nod with steely glints in their eye at the prospect of war. Loyalty and determination marked them as valuable assets.

 

“This day,” Gabriel continued, “A princess has been born.” A cheer rose from the Guardian Angel Trainees, “And I have chosen one from among you to act as her Guardian Angel and to protect her. Lee Joon, please step forward.” Some of the angels glided sideways to make room for the young five year old. He was normal for his size, with dark, curious eyes framed with short lashes, high cheekbones, a pale complexion that contrasted with the dark crop of hair that framed his young face. He gripped his sword tightly, and bowed in acceptance of the task before him. His father, one of the Masters observing their sparring that day, stood back and smiled proudly at his son. This was a special day. The day that Joon had been chosen among all the others to be a Guardian Angel. A real one. Joon felt his small chest swell with pride and caught a couple of envious glances from some of the elder angels who it was obvious had hoped to be chosen instead.

 

Immediately, his sharp mind began calculating the odds of them being jealous enough to come after him and try to harm him. He rejected such pitiful attempts for revenge with half of them. They wouldn’t want to soil their reputation by beating up a younger angel. But the other half…he saw hatred in their eyes and decided to avoid them for a while. It would be the smart thing to do, he decided. While coming to this conclusion, he didn’t once let his emotions slip or show what he was thinking. Instead he walked up to where Gabriel was standing with his head held high and his chin jutted forward; a defiant flash gleamed in his eyes. He would show them all that he was ready; he wasn’t scared.

 

“Joon,” Gabriel said kindly, “You may go down and see her tomorrow. Your father will accompany you, and tell you all the details. You have been training for this your whole life; you are ready to face the real world. There will be dangers and evils that will try to thwart you. Are you prepared to guard the princess with all you are able? She will not be able to see you as you well know, but regardless, you will be her constant shadow and the whisper in her ear that will warn her of danger?”

 

“I will,” Joon vowed. Gabriel nodded, and replied, “Then you must be off. May the Holy One guide your path and may you be successful.” Joon nodded his thanks, and then he and his father were given the rest of the day off. Joon noticed the angels who might attack him, edge away in a group and he frowned. He couldn’t afford to be injured before the mission of a lifetime. They were just jealous little babies. Smirking at the thought, five-year-old Joon followed his father to the library.