A Peek in the Past

Broken Hearted

   I sighed as I made my way down the hallway. It was the end of 8th period, the last hour of the day.The door to the office was propped open for me. I peeked inside and saw the principal sitting at his desk. He saw me and gestured for me to come in. Inside the room sat a middle-aged couple and a girl and a boy. 

   "Mr. and Mrs. Yoon, this is Kim Ae Rin. She will be showing Doojun and Baek Hee around," Principal Shin said to the couple. He turned to me. "Ae Rin, this is Doojun and Baek Hee. Doojun and Baek Hee, this is Ae Rin." I bowed to them respectfully and they did the same.

   After we greeted each other, Principal Shin pulled me to the side. "Ae Rin-ssi, I know this is a little unexpected... But we thought you would be the best person to be their guide."

   I sighed. "What about Hye Jung?" I asked. "She's the president. Isn't this suppose to be her job?"

   "Well..." Principal Shin stuttered. "Principal Park didn't want her to do it." 

   I scoffed. Hye Jung was voted the school president with the help of her daddy, Principal Park. Principal Park is the real principal of our school. Principal Shin is just the vice principal, but I still call him Principal even though he's not. I personally like Shin better than Park.  "So since Hye Jung doesn't want to do it, I have to?" I repeated. "Does that even make sense, Principal Shin?" 

   Principal Shin rubbed his temples. "No, it doesn't. Not at all. But what can we do, Ae Rin?" he said to me. "I'm only the Vice Principal and you're only the Vice President. They have more power than us. If we make one single mistake, I'm gone. We're gone."

   "Whatever." I've heard this speech from him a billion times. "So when do I start showing them around?" 

   Principal Shin smiled. "So you're saying you'll do it?" 

   I nodded. "Sure, why not," I mumbled. 

   "Yes!" he exclaimed. "Thank you so much Ae Rin. You won't regret this."

   Sure I won't... 

...

    "This is the library, and to the left there's a door. That door leads to a hallway. In the hallway you'll find the bathrooms." I walked them around the library. It's been an hour since I started showing them around the school. And in that hour, I've found out that Doojun was quite a jerk and Baek Hee was a total . 

   "Okay, and last but not least, this is our cafeteria," I said as I opened the doors to the empty, but large room. 

   "Why's there a stage? Don't we already have an auditorium?" Baek Hee asked. 

   "During lunch, people can go up there and perform. But you have to-" Before I could finish, Baek Hee snorted. 

   "Eww." 

   "I think it's pretty cool," Doojun says and smiles at me. Okay, what is going on here? First he acts like a freakin' jerk, and now he's all Mr. Nice Guy? What the hell?

   I sigh and avoid his eyes. "Well, that's it for today. I'll show you guys the rest of the school tomorrow."

   "Oh, I think I can manage myself," Baek Hee says. "My friends can show me around." I raised an eyebrow.

   Friends..? On the first day of school?

   As if reading my mind, Baek Hee says, "Don't worry about me, Hye Jung's gonna be my tour guide."

   I laughed. "Good luck with that," I muttered. 

   Baek Hee scowled at me and strutted away from us. I glanced at Doojun and saw a smile on his face. "Well, see you tomorrow," I said and walked away. 

   "Wait, do you need a ride?" he asked.  "No, I have practice," I say and keep walking.

   He follows me down the hallway and keep talking.  "Oh, well if you want I can wait for you until your practice is done," he offered. 

   "No, that's fine," I said.

   We reached the end of the hallway and I stopped in front of the girls' locker room. "Thanks, but no thanks. Go home, okay?" Then I walked inside and stripped from my school clothes into my practice warm-ups. When I walked outside, Doojun was still there. He glanced at my clothes and smiled. 

   "You play soccer?" he said. 

   "Yeah," I said, a little annoyed. Why didn't he go home already?

   I walked outside to the soccer field with him right beside me. Practice hadn't startet yet, so I picked up a soccer ball from the benches and started running to the field. And Doojun was still beside me. "Why don't you go home already?" I yelled to him as we ran to the middle. He ran past me and made a beeline to the goal. I kicked the ball towards the edge, but he dived and was able to block it. My eyes widened as I ran to him. "How did you do that?" I yelled, surprised. 

   "I play soccer," he said simply. Then we heard a person clapping. I turned around and saw the boys' coach walking towards us with a pair of warm-up jerseys.  "How would you like to play soccer for us?" Coach Wu asked. 

   "Coach!" I said. "It's his first day here."

   Coach Wu nodded. "Look Ae Rin, JB just quit and we need a new player. And I think this young man is perfect for the team. So what do you say?" Coach turned from me to Doojun. Doojun was beaming. 

   "Yes!" he yelled. "I would love that!" 

   "Well, then let's get you changed." Coach Wu smiled and gave him JB's old warm-up jerseys. "Ae Rin will tell you when and where we have our practices." 

   I groaned. Why me?  

... 

   "Girls!" Coach Oh yelled. "Gather up in the middle!" Coach Oh's the soccer coach for the girls' team. Surprisingly, she makes us work more than the boys. Half of our team quit on the first day of practice and only the good and hardworking players stayed. Including me. 

   My legs ached as I ran to the center of the field. I came to a stop and stood with my hands on the top of my head. "Alright, since we're all here, I have some good news," Coach Oh announced. We groaned. 'Good news' to her was horrible news to us.  "We are having a tournament next week and I expect you all to be there," she said. 

   "What's the good news?" one of the girls asked. 

   "We're competing with the boys' teams!" Coach yelled excitedly. We all groaned. "Oh, come on! It's not that bad! Just pretend like they're girls."

   "Coach Oh, you always tell us that everytime we're up against the boys," I say. 

   "And does it work?" None of my teammates answer.

   I shrugged. "I don't know. I don't play any different when I'm playing guys or girls." 

   Coach Oh smiled at me. "I just imagine the guys are dressed like girls," one of the girls said. 

   "That's the spirit!" Coach yelled. "No practice tomorrow girls. Now go change. You're all starting to smell like the boys." The girls laughed and we jogged back inside to the locker room. 

...

   "Gikwang!" I yelled and jumped on his back. 

   "Ahh! YAH!!!" Gikwang struggled to get me off his back. I finally slid down when I saw JB come out of the boys' locker room. Gikwang made a face and turned me away from him. "He quit the soccer team," he tells me. 

   "I know," I say quietly. JB walks by me and violently brushes my shoulder. 

   "What an ," Gikwang muttered, loud enough for JB to hear. 

   "Let's get outta here," I say. 

   You're all probably wondering what the hell just happened back there right? Well, shall we start with a little sneak peek of the past? We shall.