Under the mistletoe [2/3]

Hyung... saranghaeyo!

L.Joe stared at his reflection in the mirror with a blank expression plastered over his face. There was something in the mirror that brought an odd feeling inside of him that he disliked in a very high level – dissatisfaction. And why would L.Joe, the hottest kingka in Korea be dissatisfied with his flawless looks? His skin was white and fair, his features were unique and something close to perfection. It then hit him like a lightening strike and he widened his eyes in the mirror. Ofcourse! It was so obvious! How couldn't he have thought about that, he wondered and mentally hit him on the head. Or more honestly, imagined his Ricky to hit him.


He reached for the small box of hair gel and whirled the lid off. His eyes met with the mirror again and he turned his head to the left and then to the right as he tried to decide how he should style his hair. He wanted to look good – not that he needed a cool hairstyle for that matter, but he knew that Ricky would look perfect so he wanted to put in a little effort on looking extra good for his boyfriend.
L.Joe touched with the tips of his fingers inside the jar and ran them down his hair, ruffled it up so that it looked messy, but in a fashionable way. After adding a little more hair gel, he washed his hands and slid the lid back on the jar and put it down on the sink. With a smirk, he winked in the mirror and left the bathroom.

Ricky pouted as he gently brushed his fingers on the back of his turquoise covered phone.

He was waiting for his roommates so that they could go to the party together, but they sure took a lot of time to get dressed and fixed up. Then again, he lived with Baekhyun, Chansung and Kai. He heard swear words echo from their rooms and he chuckled. Kevin had already left to go with Suzy to celebrate Christmas with her parents and relatives, and from what Ricky had heard, the two would later on go to Kevin's family and have dinner with them.

Suddenly, his phone vibrated violently and the deep and husky voice of T.O.P came from it, signaling that someone called him. Ricky widened his eyes as realization hit him and he caught the phone and answered with a cutesy “Yoboseyo”.
There was a short moment of silence before someone shouted loudly on the other line: “YAH! YOO CHANGHYUN! WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE SPENDING CHRISTMAS, EH?! IN THAT SCHOOL?! YOU RASCAL! HAVE YOU FORGOT ABOUT YOUR HALMEONI?! EH?!”.
Startled, Ricky jumped up high on sofa, the phone slipping out of his hand. He reached for the phone and tried to catch it, but it only slipped every time, like a wet fish.
“A-a-ani-yo, halmeoni! Ofcourse I haven't forgot about you! H-how could anyone forget-”, before Ricky could finish his sentence, was he interrupted by his furious grandmother who shouted and scolded him like there was no tomorrow.
At the most intense moment of the scolding, Kai and Baekhyun came out of the room, looking good and ready to party. They grinned at Ricky, who sat uncomfortably on the couch, muttering a “yes” every now and then, whenever he got a chance to speak.

“Halmeoni, you have to breathe, otherwise you'll get a heart attack”, Ricky said in an attempt to sound calm and friendly, but that only made it worse as the woman screamed in frustration, letting him know that she was a strong lady that wouldn't get a heart attack from her grandson.
“We should totally film this moment”, Kai chuckled and saw how Baekhyun slid down on the couch beside Ricky, giving him a smile before taking the phone.
“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Byun Baekhyun and I'm a friend of Ricky's. Yes, he just told me that he was thinking of going home to you for the holiday. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, ahjumma”.
The woman let out an “aah, is that so?” with a sweet voice. “Ne. We tried to convince him to stay here, but he really wanted to visit his grandmother, so there was nothing we could do”.
“Aren't you the sweetest?!”, the woman exclaimed. “You can go together with Ricky. Tell him to bring all of his friends”.
Baekhyun's eyes shone brightly and he nodded. “Ne, halmeoni! I will tell him that. I'll see you soon”.
Ricky raised an eyebrow at his aegyo filled friend who jumped happily on the couch and grabbed his hands.
“You have the sweetest grandmother ever! I can't wait to meet her!”, he exclaimed and looked back at Kai. “We're all invited to Ricky's grandma!”.
Ricky's mouth fell open as he stared at Baekhyun who laughed happily white putting on his shoes. Kai scratched the back of his neck, making it obvious that he didn't like that idea. He wanted to party, not having dinner with an old lady.
“I'm texting Eunhee and L.Joe so that they know about the changed plans. - Come on, hurry up!”.

By the gates, stood L.Joe with Eunhee – and Chunji, talking randomly about something that Ricky couldn't quite figure out. By his side, was Baekhyun and Kai. Even though Kai had told them that he would just walk them out, Ricky got the feeling that maybe that thought of his changed as his eyes caught the figure of someone flirting with his “best friend”. That, he could tell by the sudden change of his otherwise happy expression. Kai gritted his teeth together and Baekhyun chuckled inaudible and leaned in to whisper something in Ricky's ear.

“I think Kai's coming with us anyway”. Ricky chuckled and nodded. Even though the boy's motive wasn't to hang out with his friends.
“Yah, who does that short brunette-blondie think he is?”, Kai snarled suddenly making not only Ricky, but Baekhyun to wide their eyes in surprise, and in Ricky's case, a little shock. Since when did that kid ever sound so... cold?
“That's... a friend of L.Joe's”, Ricky explained only to receive a scoff.
“Figures...”.

L.Joe spotted the three boys standing outside the boys' dorms and smiled widely and waved his hand at them. Ricky returned the smile and hurried down to his boyfriend. He threw his arms around the boy's neck and hugged him tightly. Even though it had only been an hour since the two saw each other, being apart from L.Joe had that effect on him. Whenever they reunited, a thunderbolt would hit Ricky and leave him with a rush of happiness and love that he just had to release in order for him not to explode. Or at least, that's what he felt.
Baekhyun and Kai joined them, the latter with the same expression. Chunji shone up like a sun and bowed politely at the two new faces.

“Annyeong!”, Chunji said with a happy voice and instantly received Baekhyun's full attention and smile. “My name is Chunji and I'm Eunhee's boyfriend!”.
The group of people stared at Chunji who smiled brightly and hooked arms with Eunhee, who just shook her head and shouted that they were absolutely not a couple. Kai tilted his head to the side, his eyes pinched black and filled with anger.
“Well, soon to be boyfriend then”, Chunji snickered and smiled bright.
“Ah... ne”, Baekhyun muttered and nudged Kai on his side. “I'm Baekhyun and this is Kai”.
“Eunhee's best friend. So you better get your hands far away from her before I chop them off”, Kai sneered under his breath, earning a slap on his arm from L.Joe.
Chunji held out two hands in defense, but smirked deviously. “We'll see about that”.

Ricky let out a nervous chuckle, but it was Baekhyun that reacted so that the two boys backed away from each other and really took in what the boy was talk- no, screaming about.

“YAH! If you guys are going to behave like that, then go somewhere else. We're going to Ricky's grandmother, and you're going to break that lady's heart! And I swear to god, if you hurt Ricky's grandmother, then I will personally tear your off! Do you understand?!”
L.Joe snickered and laid an arm around Ricky's shoulders. The other one, did he hook together with Chunji.
“Gaja!”.

 

Standing by the porch, Ricky felt himself getting more and more nervous as time passed by.

And he had his reasons why; his grandmother wasn't like just any grandmother. She was a little... different, if you put it that way. When the news reached him that he was going to move to her, he had been devastated. Because unlike his parents; his grandmother was strict and sometimes mean to Ricky. He would sometimes compare her with the evil stepmother in Cinderella.

“Hey”, he heard the soft, angelic voice of his boyfriend whisper. “What's with the sweat? It's making me nervous”. The last thing, did L.Joe say with a joking voice, but it was true. He was feeling a little uneasy seeing his boyfriend like that.
“I uhm... haven't seen my grams for such a long time. Don't worry, she'll love you”, Ricky replied with an honest voice. Because he was sure that she would love each and everyone of his friends. And boss around with him.

 

The door opened and by the porch, stood a short, chubby old lady with gray hair and an uncountable amount of wrinkles everywhere on her pale face. She looked just like Ricky remembered, minus the apron that was wrapped around her waist and the huge, friendly smile on her thin pink-painted lips.

“Come in, boys! I have everything prepared for you!”, she exclaimed and pushed the door wide open so that everyone could walk inside. The first to walk in, was the sunshine that brought the smile on the woman's lips to widen.
“Annyeonghaseyo, halmeoni! I'm Baekhyun, we talked on the phone earlier”, he said with a cute voice and bowed deeply in front of her.
“Ani-yah, drop the formalities already”, she said with a reassuring smile and patted on his back. Ricky was just about to greet his grandmother, when she gasped for air and pulled L.Joe inside. “Omo! You are that kind doctor's son!”.
L.Joe chuckled cutely and nodded. “I'm Lee Byunghun. But you can call me L.Joe, ahjumma”.
She smiled widely. “I know your father very well, L.Joe-yah. He is always smiling whenever he's treating me for anything”.
“Ah, is that so?”.
Ricky felt his heart flutter; just like that had his grandmother accepted his boyfriend. And since his babe looked all... badboy, he had actually been a little frightened that she wouldn't.

“HALMEONI!”, Ricky shouted earning her attention instantly. Startled, she sighed and placed a hand over her heart. “This is Chunji, Eunhee and Kai. Take good care of them!”.
“You little brat...”, she whispered under her breath but smiled friendly at the three who followed L.Joe inside the apartment – leaving Ricky alone with his grandmother.
“I uh... I didn't mean to frighten you”, Ricky muttered, putting his one hand inside his pocket.
“I told you that I'm a strong lady and I will not die because of you. Tsk”, she responded with a slightly angry voice. “Get inside. There's someone I'd like for you to meet”.

Ricky held his head low and followed the woman inside the house after taking his shoes off and slipping his feet inside a pair of white slippers. He wondered how his friends so easily had found their way to the living-room, and gave them a look of suspicion. But then again, Baekhyun was pretty social and had probably gotten instructions from his grandmother without him noticing it.
His eyes fell on a face he had never seen before. It was a boy who looked like he was at the same age as Ricky, but there was something extremely childish over his chubby cheeks that made him hesitate. He had pretty, doe-eyes and a pretty fair, pale skin as well. He was all in all quite... pretty, Ricky thought.

“Yah, pabo”, his grandmother shouted and waved her hand at the boy. “Meet my grandson, Changhyun”.
The boy, who had sat down, quickly rose from the chair and turned out to be one heck of a giant. He bowed politely and uttered a shy “hello” with a voice that made everyone turn their heads at his direction.
“Woah! You're voice!”, Ricky shouted, startled and pointed a finger at him.
The boy blushed, and Ricky immediately regretted what he had done and he smiled nervously. “It's so cool! I've never met someone who looks like a child-- or well, maybe not a child considering your height, with a voice like that!”.
His grandmother scoffed and slapped Ricky on his head. “Be nice”, she warned him and then introduced the boy to the others, as Chanyeol. Ricky whined and touched his head where his grandmother so brutally hit him. It really was child abuse, he thought and pouted, earning a chuckle from his boyfriend.
“Pabo”, he whispered and intertwined their hands. “You look like a lost puppy with that pout”.

Ricky chuckled and felt his cheeks heating up. He walked up to the table and noticed that Baekhyun was seated together with the tall boy and poor Eunhee, in the middle between Chunji and Kai, who shot each other deadly glares.

“STOP IT ALREADY!”, Eunhee shrieked with a voice high pitched enough to break the sculptured glasses on the table. “Halmeoni, do you mind switch seat with me?”, she asked with a soft, begging voice and the woman nodded.
“You should be happy though”, she muttered when she rose to sit down on the chair Eunhee had sat on. The boys muttered annoyingly at each other but didn't dare say something. They had witnessed the old woman's wrath on Ricky and the scared look he had put on after it.

Silence filled the room and Ricky saw the annoyed expression over his grandmother. “Well, dig in for Christ's sake. The food's not going to eat itself”.
Baekhyun was the first one to fill his plate with all the delicious dishes that his best friend's grandmother had cooked. This was so much better than to be a stupid party watching his crush doing a dirty dancing with his boyfriend. And on his left, was that cute boy with the husky, manly voice. The boy that had caught his eye instantly.

“So, you boys must be studying hard in school”, the older lady said and shot a warm look at Baekhyun and L.Joe. You're making it quite obvious that you favor them, Ricky thought and shook his head smiling.
“Ofcourse!”, Baekhyun replied with one of his famous eye-smile. “Or well. Me, Eunhee and Ricky at least. As for the others, I have no idea”.
Kai scoffed. “I study! Well. Sometimes”.
“Like what? Once in a lifetime?”, Chunji asked with a smug grin on his face.
“Yah!”.
“Geez, these boys...”, Eunhee sighed and placed a hand on her forehead and held it low.
“L.Joe is studying hard. I help him from time to time”, Ricky said to his grandmother who nodded. “Well... I actually have something that I need to tell you”.

To his surprise, everyone shut up and all attention was drawn to him. It hadn't been much of a nuisance to keep the “secret” that he was dating L.Joe, but he figured he should just tell his grandmother about it. Even though she was mean at times, she was open minded and would probably be happy to know that her grandson had won the lottery by having L.Joe as his boyfriend.

“Well first off”, Ricky said and smiled warmly at his grandmother who chewed nervously on the food inside . “I'm gay”.
The woman facepalmed herself and sighed in disbelief. “Tell me something I don't already know”.
Ricky widened his eyes. “EH?! You knew?!”.
“Well... it was kind of obvious, don't you think? Beside, a grandmother can tell stuff like that”.
“O-kay”.
“And the second thing that Ricky wants to say, is that I'm his boyfriend. I'm sorry for being bold, but I like you and since you treated me so well, I wanted to be honest with you”, L.Joe said instead and laid an arm around Ricky's neck and gave him a heartwarming smile.
The woman nodded. “Do you love my Ricky?”.

There was a short moment of silence and everyone leaned closer to the two to hear L.Joe's answer. His smile widened and he looked straight into Ricky's eyes.

“Yes”, he answered. “I love him very much”.