Final

Duck-A-Like

"Hello. Welcome to hypermart." I gave a 90 degrees bow when a customer pushed open the door of our convenience store.


"Err. Thanks." the customer replied awkwardly.


I looked up and stood straighter. Only to be greeted by a guy, who, I consider as one of our regular customers.


The guy made his way to one of the snack aisle, looking for something to purchase.


He's here again.


Well he's been coming here since I started working as a cashier three months ago. 


I don't know his name or any other information about him, but I think he's a student at a nearby university because I saw him wearing a shirt with a name of the university.


After a few good minutes I saw him walking towards the counter with a cup of instant noodles and a bottle of water in his arm.


He looked tired and haggard. His hair was disheveled and half of his shirt was untucked. His small eyes are droopy and it looked like he's ready to doze off anytime.


He placed the two products in front of me.


"Will that be all sir?" I asked.


He nodded in response as I picked up the bottle of water, running its barcode under the scanner. 


I took a glance at him after I did the same thing with the cup noodles. He's staring at nowhere.

 

"Do you want some hot water for your noodles, sir?"


"Er.. No." he replied, snapping out of his reverie. "I'm going to eat it at home."



"1350 won (A/N: I am not sure about this price)  sir." I said as I bagged his purchases. 


"Ah okay." he took off one of the straps of his backpack and opened it. Maybe searching for his wallet?


I took the time observing him as he dug his bag.


Wait his bag.


There's something unusual in his bag. And no, not in the creepy or scary way but... there's a big yellow duck picture printed in the middle of his bag. It looked like a bag of a grade schooler.


A college student with a bag of a grade schooler. How childish. But heck, I admit I find it cute.

I can't help but to giggle at the sight. And when I glanced back at him, he was staring at me blankly.

"Here." he gave me 10000 won and I took it.


I cleared my throat and pretended that nothing happened. "Received 10000 won." I said as I pushed some buttons in the cash register. "Your change is 8650 won Si----"

 

I was not able to finish my words when the guy quickly snatched the plastic bag and left the store.


I was flabbergasted. It took a minute to register in my mind that I was clutching some paper bills and he obviously forgot his change. "W-wait Sir! Y-your change!"
I tried to call out but he didn't seem to hear.


I quickly closed the cash register drawer and stormed out of the store.


I saw him walking two blocks away and ran towards him. "Sir! Sir!" I called out. "Your change!"


I managed to catch up on him. He stopped in his tracks, looking at me in puzzlement.


"Y-you forgot your change s-sir." I extended my hand in front of him as I panted.


His face turned red in sheer embarrassment. "I-I'm sorry. I-I totally forgot about it." he took the money from me and smiled shyly. "And thank you by the way."


"It's okay s-sir. And don't mention it." I muttered, still panting. "I'll going back now."

 

I bowed my head a little and turned my back at him, ready to leave when---


"Wait!"


I whirled around. "What is it Sir?"


"Uhmm..." he lowered his head, making it impossible for me to see his expression. "I-I'm L-Lee Sandeul." he offered his hand for a shakehand.



Why does he stammering? Oh, well. Whatever.



We shook hands and I introduced myself.




But after that, we both fell silent and I felt really awkward. So I decided to bid my official and last farewell. I can't leave the store that long. My boss would kill me.



But he spoke again, making me halt. "Do you like ducks?"


"What?" I asked, confusedly.


His gaze didn't leave the floor. "D-do you like ducks?" he repeated.


At first, I didn't get what he was trying to say but I remembered his childish backpack.


So he noticed my action earlier, huh?


I let out another giggle. "Why are you asking?"


"B-because... I like ducks.. No I love them..."


That cracked me up. "S-seriously?" I asked, trying to supress my laugh.


His mouth pulled into a cute pout. Oh gosh he's adorable!


"Y-yeah." he answered.


This guy. He's interesting.


He makes me wanted to know more about him.


"Well," I grinned at him. "I think ducks are interesting."


He quickly jerked his head up. "Really?" his eyes are sparkling in... joy, maybe?


And he doesn't look like the haggard customer anymore. But a kid with a cute pout and looks like a...duck.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Yeah." I grinned wider. "Yeah. Ducks are interesting...especially when they look like you."

 

 

 

 


Start Date: April 27, 2012
End Date: April 27, 2012

 

 

 

 

 

-------

 

A/N: so what do you think ? :D