Chapter 3 : Strawberry Cake

My Hero

The bell rang for lunch, and Key scurried down the main hallway with his lunchbox to get to the courtyard door. As he stepped out, his eyes searched for the boys, Kim Jonghyun. After 5 minutes, he couldn't find him, and began doubting the genuineness of the note he had recieved.

Maybe it really was a joke.

Key sighed, and turned around to go to the cafeteria and sit by himself, like usual. Just as he was about to turn down another hallway, a boy sprinted around the corner, and collided with Key. Key's cute lunchbox with a puppy on it flew across the hall and swung open, Key's beatifully prepared meal splattered everywhere.

"O-oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, Kim Kibum!" the voice said.

Disoriented, Key opened his eyes to see Jonghyun surprisingly close to his face, as he had just fallen on him. Jonghyun looked startled when Key opened up his eyes, and quickly stumbled to his feet.

"Need a hand?" Jonghyun asked, his hand outstretched to seemingly still adrift Kibum.

"Uh... y-yeah, thanks," Key spoke in sort of a panicked tone.

"Oh..." Jonghyun looked down at the opposite side of the hallway, and picked up Key's lunchbox.

"I'm sorry, I ruined your lunch, didn't I?" Jonghyun noted, "But this lunchbox is really cute."

Jonghyun seemed lost in though momentarily as he admired the lime green lunchbox with a cute cartoon puppy on the front. Key looked at him and observed the boy's thoughful expression, and how a soft smile played at his lips.

"Well... the least I can do is buy you lunch," Jonghyun explained.

"N-no, you really don't have to..."

Jonghyun pouted.

"Actually... that would be really nice, thanks," Key decided. It was worth it to see the excited look on Jonghyun's face as he grabbed Key's hand and pulled him down the hallway.

"C'mon, Kibum!" Jonghyun exclaimed, with a large grin on his face.

                                                                                                * * *

The boys walked into a quaint café just across the street from the school.

"Hmm...two strawberry cakes and two iced teas, please, Ahjumma," Jonghyun said to the woman behind the counter.

The woman smiled as Jonghyun paid and recieved the food. Jonghyun led Key over to a small table for two in the corner of the café. There was a good view of the sparkling river from it. Key stared in awe at the glistening rived rich with wildlife. Even though he had walked past it a million times, it seemed much more blue and interesting this time.

"Do you like the river, Kibum-ssi?" Jonghyun inquired.

"Oh! Ah... yes. I think it's quite peaceful."

"I agree," Jongyun grinned.

Key took a bite of the strawberry cake, and his face lit up.

"Delicious," he said.

"I knew you would like it," Jonghyun added, "I always see you eating strawberries in the cafeteria, so I thought you might enjoy it."

Key was shocked by how observant Jonghyun was, and the fact that he payed attention to him. He felt special for once.

"Back when my mom had free time, she used to grow strawberries in our backyard and we'd make dishes together with them..." Key trailed off with a faint smile, noticing that he had just rambled on about his life, "Oh! I'm sorry... I'm saying such uninteresting things..."

"No..." Jonghyun said pleasantly, as he smiled and rested his head on his hand, "I think it's sweet."

It was the first time Key felt important, like someone was actually interested on what he had to say. Kim Jonghyun seemed to be a nice boy after all.

Perhaps this is the start of a new friendship.

Key smiled tenderly. After a while chatting and laughing, the boys walked back to the school, and up the countless stairs.

"Well, I'd better go, if I don't hurry I'll miss my next cla--"

"Kibum-ssi," Jonghyun interrupted, "lunch was very enjoyable. Thanks."

Key looked down and slightly blushed.

"W-wait, I should be thanking you! You bought me lunch and... thanks," Key beamed, and waved as he set off to his next class.

It was the best day that he had experienced in a very long time.

Thank you for your kindness, Kim Jonghyun.