Return

Always Yours, Forever Mine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.” 
― Albert Einstein

 

She leaned against the backrest of her seat and closed her eyes, the panoramic view rolling outside the glass windows unappreciated. But even if she did open her eyes, she would never really see the beauty in the scenes her train passed. In fact, she could never see the beauty in anything at all the moment she knew of her father’s plans; why, when she just graduated from high school her father summoned her from the US to come back to her homeland.

Now she is on her way to a place filled with childhood memories, but she chose to take the longer route, deluding herself that in delaying what she had been dreading for days now, she could somehow change her destiny. But apparently there’s no way to avoid what awaits her.

She will be returning to her mother’s hometown to marry a local boy.

She wanted to scream, cry, thrash and she had done all those but to no avail. She couldn’t release herself from her father’s iron grip.

Giving up her much treasured freedom for a boy whom she hardly knew is bad enough, but giving up the city life she had been so used to is much worse. How could she ever live like that? Death would be preferable. But she had to remind herself over and over again that she would be doing this for her mother.

Tears sprang from her eyes at the thought of her lovely mother. She had made a promise with her before she died to always obey her father and not make things difficult for him. But she never imagined that her father would ask her something that would cost her too much; something that would cost her her whole life.

And what makes this boy so special? Why him of all people? Her father’s friends and acquaintances in the world of business have lots of sons her age, or close to her age who are well enough and would make a good match. Not that status had mattered much to her but she thought it mattered to her father. She thought he would care about how she would live and how her husband would take care of her once she marries. So why not one of those boys?

On the other hand, if her father wanted to make ties with this boy’s family, why not marry her to the biological son, Kai? At least he is her best friend since they were both children and they never lost communication even when she moved to the US to study. He even visited her there once. Why not him, then? She had asked her father, but he just turned away from her as if she never asked the question in the first place. To him he doesn’t owe his daughter any explanation. And it is her duty to comply to her father’s wishes as custom and tradition dictates.

If she would really consider it, her soon to be husband is not entirely unknown to her. His name is Choi Minho and being the adoptive son of the caretaker of the tea plantation her family owns, he is legitimately Kai’s older brother. As a little girl she had always seen him hanging around her male cousins whenever she visits Boseong with her parents and elder sister.

But other than that, she doesn’t know anything about him anymore. She could hardly even remember how he looked like. If she racked her brains hard enough for memories, all she could come up with was a tall, lanky, big-eyed boy who usually sits by the corner and stares quietly at people. She would so often catch him staring at her and for some unknown reason she would find his stares unnerving. But he never, as far as she could remember, he never, even for once, spoke to her. He was aloof and withdrawn to most people.

She was too absorbed by her own thoughts that she didn’t notice the train coming to a stop.

“Miss, I think this is your stop,” a masculine voice said and her eyes snapped open.

He was the passenger who had started a conversation the moment she boarded the train and she tried to talk to him casually just to avert her thoughts from her engagement. But then he tried hitting on her and she got upset, clamming up immediately.

She got up from her seat and bowed hastily to the man, mumbling a word of thanks before hurrying off the train.

Her eyes moved back and forth amidst the thin crowd in the station. Thoughts of escape began to form in her mind. If she wants to escape, now’s the time. She should escape and hide! She would be doing both herself and Minho a favor if she does. She’s sure he doesn’t like the marriage as much as she does. Who knows if he has a local girl or some girl for a sweetheart? Oh, he’s a grown man so he certainly does have one. She quickly looked left and right, her hair whipping as she did so. It wouldn’t be very difficult to hide for a few months in a nearby town or city. She has enough money with her. She would hide just until her father realized he’s wrong and she’s too young to be married off. She’s only nineteen!

She got excited at the prospect of freedom and heart beating wildly, she began to walk at a faster pace, tugging her luggage behind her. Now’s the time, now when there’s no one to stop her…

“Soojung!”

She froze when she heard her name. But she resumed walking, praying with all her might that the one being called is a different Soojung and not her. Of course it’s a different person… she’s not the only one here named Soojung…there must be lots so it must be a different Soojung…it has to be!

“Soojung!” the voice is closer now it seems that it’s just right behind her. It’s a male’s voice and it sounded rather familiar.

It was all she could do not to whimper in disappointment.

A hand clamped on her shoulder and her heart began to beat faster. With a sinking feeling she slowly turned around, anticipating the worst.

She saw a slim boy, his hair dyed blond and his dimple on one cheek flashed as he smiled at her. She instantly recognized him.

“Key?”

It’s her cousin on her mother’s side, Kim Kibum. She knows him back when they were just little kids, but she had also met him a year ago when he went touring California. He’s her favorite cousin and before she knew it she had already thrown her arms around him.

“Key,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter