Bubble Tea

Bubble Tea

 

Poke.

Okay, all you have left is your chemistry final tomorrow, and you are done. School will be over and—

Poke.

—You can finally rest without—

Poke.

—Worrying about—

Poke.

“YAH!” Your sudden outburst startled your boyfriend who was trailing behind you as he casually poked the back of your neck. You didn’t even realize he’d been trying to get your attention for the past few minutes while you inwardly rambled on and on about your last exam. You threw him a sympathetic smile as he just stared at you with wide eyes.

“Ahh, sorry, Oppa.”

Tao chuckled and ruffled your hair. If it’d been anyone else, you’d already be complaining about how messed up your hair was already and how he was making it worse. He always seemed to be the exception to everything. “You’re way too stressed, you know that? Can’t you take a break?”

“I’ll take a break after the exam tomorrow, and then I’ll be fine.”

“And by that time you’ll be crippling down from a splitting headache.” He smiled as he gave you a small peck on your nose, making you scrunch your face at the odd feeling. “Why don’t we get some bubble tea?”

“Oppa, I need to maximize my study time—”

“BUBBLE TEA, WE ARE GETTING IT.”

**

You sat in the car with your arms folded and a disgruntled look plastered all over your face. Tao had the weirdest way of handling things, and sometimes you really didn’t understand him. Yes, anything he did was absolutely adorable, but really?

“What was the point of buying me bubble tea if you’re not going to let me drink it.”

Tao kept his eyes on the road, sipping his watermelon bubble tea calmly without responding. You shot death glares at him the entire way home. Any time you would reach for your cup, he would hit your hand—lightly, of course—while somehow managing to stay focused on his driving. He didn’t even let you take a sip when the vendor handed it to you.

When you both got back to your house, Tao wasted no time grabbing your cup and bringing it to the front door without waiting for you. To mess with him, you calmly grabbed your belongings and made your way to him slowly. Clearly, he forgot that this was your house and you had the keys.

You stepped inside, and he brushed passed you to your bedroom without saying a word. You rolled your eyes and followed after him, plopping your backpack on your bed only to see him at your desk with the two cups of bubble tea in his hand. Placing his on the desk, he held yours buy his mouth, ready to take a sip.

“Hey!” You dove towards him, but he pulled the drink back behind his head. “What are you doing?!”

“Study.” He pointed towards your bag.

“But you—”

“Study!”

You grunted, obviously frustrated. You took out your chemistry book and sat on your bed Indian-style. “Happy?”

Tao re-positioned the chair to face you. “We’re going to play a game.”

“Oppa, this is silly—”

“I’m going to quiz you. If you get a question right, you get a sip.”

“Okay, but—”

“And if you get it wrong, I get a sip. Okay?”

**

Tao continued to quiz you for the next couple of hours. You didn’t realize how much you actually knew until you were posed with such a challenge. You got most of the questions right, but occasionally, you’d choke up and Tao would end up mocking you by taking the biggest “sip” you’d ever seen in your entire life. Somehow that one order of bubble tea lasted the entire time until there was one pearl left.

“Okay, last question!”

“FINALLY!” You threw your hands up in defeat.

There was only one pearl left, and you were determined to get it.

“What is Avagadro’s number?”

You closed your eyes, searching your thoughts. You knew this one!

“6.02 times ten to the 23rd power—NOW GIVE ME MY BUBBLE TEA!”

Tao grinned.

There was no more pearl at the bottom of your cup. Just air. You felt your insides boiling until Tao’s grin revealed the final pearl in between his lips. He raised his eyebrows, mockingly as if saying, “Are you gonna get it or not?”

Let the games begin.